Staff Changes

fredst

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honk if you have turned down the Auburn DC job!

Well, we have Kelley who "supposedly turned it down and Shoop who was apparently never offered...so I guess Kelley may or may not be able to honk and then no one else?

It was a joke to what everybody else believe. There is a rumor that we offered 1.5 million to Shoop and he repeatedly turned it down.

Well, we have Kelley who "supposedly turned it down and Shoop who was apparently never offered...so I guess Kelley may or may not be able to honk and then no one else?

It was a joke to what everybody else believe. There is a rumor that we offered 1.5 million to Shoop and he repeatedly turned it down.

I doubt we offered that kind of cash to him.

Oh yeah and honk.....I am withdrawing my name from consideration. They may or may not have offered me.

Gotcha. There is also a rumor that it was offered to Golf for 2 mil but he turned it down on account of them not agreeing to keep PBR in a free vending machine

Well, if the rumors are true that allen was on campus and WDE is correct in that we didn't offer him, that would shoot down the idea that "Gus has his man" and is waiting until his bowl is over.

Thankfully, the other coaches are holding things together quite well at this point.

It might be one of those deals where they need someone who will accept RG and LT on their staff, and that is why it is taking a while? To me it would be a crime to boot them at this point and I suppose it could hurt the current class.

Gotcha. There is also a rumor that it was offered to Golf for 2 mil but he turned it down on account of them not agreeing to keep PBR in a free vending machine

I've heard they had to quit those amenities after the whole Sarkisian thing on the west coast.

Oxymoron?

If we could pull either Diaz or Shannon (maybe even Allen) as DC, then Gus did a good job given the current state of the program. I do not believe Shoop was ever a realistic candidate (that was just folks like PM trying to get people to read his site). I have seen nothing out there that Shannon has even been mentioned other than posters who want him. Diaz has been mentioned on a couple of sites.

wde

I doubt we offered that kind of cash to him.

Oh yeah and honk.....I am withdrawing my name from consideration. They may or may not have offered me.

Well, this is where the rumor came from. http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2015/12/penn_state_football_bob_shoop_2.html

I guess things will pick up as Jay returns from Hawaii...regardless of who is hired we will not know how good or bad they are until seasons end 2016. I just hope it's someone who can teach players to be fundamentally sound, tackle well, and keep the other team out of the end zone. If Gus can find that person on a Pop Warner field I am all for it...

There's good coaches in the fcs schools that will move up and make names for themselves. I have no problem considering a guy like Woody. At the same time these guys from places up north aren't really viable. They don't know the recruiting for this part of the country and I doubt they'd want to mice here. Aranda and Shoup aren't legitimate candidates. They are both in great spots for them.

What does this even mean?

3 guys come to mind from the North, they have been kinda successful, Saban, Meyer and Miles, probably had terrible recruiting classes though!!

As much as I would love closure on this, I got to thinking...how does it look to Coach Thompson to name the new DC, if there is one, before the bowl, which he was specifically promoted to coordinate? Coaches and fans want the best for their program, but that's asking a lot, knowing he has not only shown interest in the permanent position, but chose not to follow the boom to SC. Sort of like dancing with everyone else at the prom EXCEPT the one you came with.

As much as I would love closure on this, I got to thinking...how does it look to Coach Thompson to name the new DC, if there is one, before the bowl, which he was specifically promoted to coordinate? Coaches and fans want the best for their program, but that's asking a lot, knowing he has not only shown interest in the permanent position, but chose not to follow the boom to SC. Sort of like dancing with everyone else at the prom EXCEPT the one you came with.

I personally think that the primary reason (absent the misses with Kelley and whomever else) is that Gus isn't panicking, and wants to see if LT is a viable option or not. If the D shows up to play with the same vigor we saw in the late season and doesn't regress, then he is the guy and will be named before the new year. Memphis has a terrific QB and a good offense - if the D works, why change it?

That said, if we lose soundly and the D looks lost, then Gus pulls the trigger on one of the SEC names. I think he has legitimate concerns with someone like Diaz or Orgeron (the sleeper here). Diaz flamed out at UT as DC for whatever reason and could be perceived to be a retread. Orgeron could recruit a snowman to play for Solar State, but is as nuts as they come outside of Les Miles and maybe Mike Leach. He's also had some goofy stops at TN and USCw with Kiffin - although that makes for a good story come the Iron Bowl.

Just my feelings.

Auctoritas, that about sums it up for me, too. As for interviews or reports of them, I'll say it like this. We just filled a vacancy that was made apparent on October 27. Interviewed a possibility that very night. Interviewed THE one a week later. Even though we were 90 percent sure of the second, we went through a full interview process (initial vetting, impression, then layers of panels) with a third candidate that had other qualities we liked, because no candidate has it all. Meanwhile, a few more resumes arrived, keeping the search fluid. We weren't desperate, having a good interim team in place, and we actually wanted a 2016 fresh start. Our new staff member was officially hired by the team a week ago, but she won't dig in until 2016. She's been revealed to the other staff but not at large. Commitments on both ends affected the length of the process, although we were wowed at the initial interview. Only those close to the vest (pun unintended, but I'll let it stick) know the timeline, thought process, and nature of how many to interview and why. Can be a scheduling nightmare, and can seem to take forever, but that's only because we're watching the pot boil...that ONE pot. The biggest clue we have, one noted a few pages back, is that the present recruits are not phased. That's the big story in it all! And if a good bit of it--recruiting, program cohesion, ESPECIALLY after disruption, bowl prep--is a reflection on the continued good, hard work of Coach Thompson, then it has to be making its mark on the PTB. Such a hire would be the complete antithesis of last year.

P.S. We, with our previous vacancy, lived outside the spotlight and the world of 247 sports. Could not imagine the process otherwise, no matter how much "they get paid the big bucks" to do that job!

I'm get all the free PBR's I want cause I own part of the company. Check the sale price from 2010 then was sold again in 2014.

Please pardon me if this has been mentioned but I read that Va Tech is hiring the Memphis Head Coach, would this mean that Bud Foster may be in play? How would AU fans react if this was a possibility? If we want stability he has been there 20+ years....I think 29, and seems to be a solid choice, especially considering the talent level at AU vs. Va Tech. Just typing out load here..... not an insider or anything like that just trying to think outside the box.

Please pardon me if this has been mentioned but I read that Va Tech is hiring the Memphis Head Coach, would this mean that Bud Foster may be in play? How would AU fans react if this was a possibility? If we want stability he has been there 20+ years....I think 29, and seems to be a solid choice, especially considering the talent level at AU vs. Va Tech. Just typing out load here..... not an insider or anything like that just trying to think outside the box.

No, Foster has agreed to stay at VT as the DC.

I'm get all the free PBR's I want cause I own part of the company. Check the sale price from 2010 then was sold again in 2014.

Rumor is that you turned it down because they refused to stock it in vending machines for you so you said no thanks (so you had cold ones at the press of a button everywhere you went). Are these rumors false :dunno:

I would be very happy with a Manny Diaz hire. Very aggressive D that either forces a TO or gets the ball back to you're O. Plus, a young guy that doesn't seem to have immediate HC aspirations. And if he does, has plenty of contacts through his many stops to have a good idea of what he wants

I remember reading a great article on his fire zone pressures on smartfootball.com. I think if he is given the keys to the castle he could make a lot of offenses have sleepless nights

Archived