Staff Changes

fredst

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soooooooo... anything other then what we already know?

No. Don't expect anything until after Christmas, possibly after the new year.

This! Gus and the team need to focus for the bowl game.

It's not that I don't think LT would do a good enough job as dc. My issue is that should he be promoted it's a month after that decision should have been made. Idk if we changed our mind or are waiting to announce it or what with Allen it's just annoying that this is taking so long when recruits are looking to see what we do.

It's not that I don't think LT would do a good enough job as dc. My issue is that should he be promoted it's a month after that decision should have been made. Idk if we changed our mind or are waiting to announce it or what with Allen it's just annoying that this is taking so long when recruits are looking to see what we do.

Recruiting is fine.

Recruiting is fine.

Recruiting for whatever system/defensive plan we have in place now is fine. But what if we hire someone from out in left field? Someone with a different scheme that needs different skillsets. I know this is a no contact period but this gray area gives the coaches a chance to get a game plan for the last few targets of the class before the new contact period begins.

Recruiting is fine.

Recruiting for whatever system/defensive plan we have in place now is fine. But what if we hire someone from out in left field? Someone with a different scheme that needs different skillsets. I know this is a no contact period but this gray area gives the coaches a chance to get a game plan for the last few targets of the class before the new contact period begins.

I believe the current recruits know what is in store when they come here. I just don't see any reason to panic because we haven't publicly named our DC. If recruits were truly concerned, they'd have jumped ship already.

However, it would be very difficult for most recruits who were told who the DC was going to be to keep this under raps. Gus likely has someone he will hire and likely has this taken care of. I think that at this point, Allen is not the man. Do we have 100% certainty that Allen was even here the other day?

I saw a thread about this guy; he is a great coach, his team did an outstanding job yesterday, he runs a 3-4, but I think he is where he wants to be.

MARCEL YATES

9597083.jpeg

Position:

Defensive Coordinator/Safeties Alma Mater:

Boise State (2000)

Marcel Yates enters his second season as Boise State's defensive coordinator in 2015. A graduate of Boise State and an assistant coach with the Broncos from 2003-11, Yates returned to his alma mater in 2014 following a two-year stint as the co-defensive coordinator at Texas A&M.

Yates helped instill into the defense a tenacity that led to the Broncos pacing the Mountain West with the lowest opponents' third-down conversion rate (34.8 percent), a mark that ranked 18th nationally. The Broncos also ranked second in the conference in red-zone defense and opponents' fourth-down conversion rate (42.9 percent).

Boise State also set the Mountain West standard with 31 turnovers forced, ranking ninth nationally. Included were a conference-best 22 interceptions, ranking fifth nationally, led by seven from safety Darian Thompson and six from cornerback Donte Deayon. This ball-hawking mentality led to six touchdowns from Bronco defenders, led by two apiece from Deayon (two interception returns) and linebacker Tanner Vallejo (one interception, one fumble return).

Five members of Boise State’s defense earned All-Mountain West recognition, headlined by STUD end Kamalei Correa and Thompson being named to the conference’s first team. Deayon and Vallejo earned spots on the second team while defensive end Beau Martin received honorable mention.

On the front line, Correa led the Mountain West with 12.0 sacks as the Broncos ranked seventh-nationally at 3.36 per game. Boise State also ranked seventh nationally in tackles-for-loss (7.8 per game).

Fittingly, it was Yates’ defense which helped seal Boise State’s 38-30 VIZIO Fiesta Bowl win over No. 10 Arizona, as Deayon returned a second-half interception 16 yards for the Broncos’ final touchdown and Correa sacked Wildcat quarterback Anu Solomon at the Bronco 10-yard line on the game’s final play.

Boise State concluded Yates’ debut season as coordinator with an overall record of 12-2, winning both the 2014 Sports Authority Mountain West Football Championship and the 2014 VIZIO Fiesta Bowl.

Yates, who played defensive back for the Broncos from 1996-99, was Boise State's cornerbacks coach from 2003-05, before taking over the entire secondary from 2006-11. He added defensive pass game coordinator responsibilities in 2011, before moving on to Texas A&M.

While with the Broncos as an assistant, Boise State won seven conference championships in nine seasons and appeared in a bowl game each year. The Broncos won five of the bowl games, including both the 2007 and 2010 Tostitos Fiesta Bowls.

During his final six seasons with Boise State, five defensive backs went on to be selected in the National Football League Draft: Gerald Alexander (Second Round, Detroit Lions, 2007), Orlando Scandrick (Fifth Round, Dallas Cowboys, 2008), Kyle Wilson (First Round, New York Jets, 2010), Brandyn Thompson (Seventh Round, Washington Redskins, 2011) and George Iloka (Fifth Round, Cincinnati Bengals, 2012).

He also coached Jamar Taylor, who was selected in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft by the Miami Dolphins.

The Aggies concluded the 2012 season ranked fifth-nationally in both the Associated Press and USA Today Coaches Polls, and won 11 games for the first time since 1998. The Aggies went 9-4 in 2013, finishing the season ranked No. 18 in each poll.

Prior to joining the Boise State staff in 2003, Yates was an assistant secondary coach at Montana State from 2001-02. In his second season with the Bobcats, Montana State won its first Big Sky Conference Championship and earned its first NCAA Division I-AA Playoff appearance in 18 years.

Yates earned his bachelor's degree in social science from Boise State in 2000. Following his senior season, he earned the team's Denny Erickson Award for Valor.

He and his wife Melanie have two children, daughter Kaybrie and son Eric. [/font]

I saw a thread about this guy; he is a great coach, his team did an outstanding job yesterday, he runs a 3-4, but I think he is where he wants to be.

MARCEL YATES

9597083.jpeg

Position:

Defensive Coordinator/Safeties Alma Mater:

Boise State (2000)

Marcel Yates enters his second season as Boise State's defensive coordinator in 2015. A graduate of Boise State and an assistant coach with the Broncos from 2003-11, Yates returned to his alma mater in 2014 following a two-year stint as the co-defensive coordinator at Texas A&M.

Yates helped instill into the defense a tenacity that led to the Broncos pacing the Mountain West with the lowest opponents' third-down conversion rate (34.8 percent), a mark that ranked 18th nationally. The Broncos also ranked second in the conference in red-zone defense and opponents' fourth-down conversion rate (42.9 percent).

Boise State also set the Mountain West standard with 31 turnovers forced, ranking ninth nationally. Included were a conference-best 22 interceptions, ranking fifth nationally, led by seven from safety Darian Thompson and six from cornerback Donte Deayon. This ball-hawking mentality led to six touchdowns from Bronco defenders, led by two apiece from Deayon (two interception returns) and linebacker Tanner Vallejo (one interception, one fumble return).

Five members of Boise State’s defense earned All-Mountain West recognition, headlined by STUD end Kamalei Correa and Thompson being named to the conference’s first team. Deayon and Vallejo earned spots on the second team while defensive end Beau Martin received honorable mention.

On the front line, Correa led the Mountain West with 12.0 sacks as the Broncos ranked seventh-nationally at 3.36 per game. Boise State also ranked seventh nationally in tackles-for-loss (7.8 per game).

Fittingly, it was Yates’ defense which helped seal Boise State’s 38-30 VIZIO Fiesta Bowl win over No. 10 Arizona, as Deayon returned a second-half interception 16 yards for the Broncos’ final touchdown and Correa sacked Wildcat quarterback Anu Solomon at the Bronco 10-yard line on the game’s final play.

Boise State concluded Yates’ debut season as coordinator with an overall record of 12-2, winning both the 2014 Sports Authority Mountain West Football Championship and the 2014 VIZIO Fiesta Bowl.

Yates, who played defensive back for the Broncos from 1996-99, was Boise State's cornerbacks coach from 2003-05, before taking over the entire secondary from 2006-11. He added defensive pass game coordinator responsibilities in 2011, before moving on to Texas A&M.

While with the Broncos as an assistant, Boise State won seven conference championships in nine seasons and appeared in a bowl game each year. The Broncos won five of the bowl games, including both the 2007 and 2010 Tostitos Fiesta Bowls.

During his final six seasons with Boise State, five defensive backs went on to be selected in the National Football League Draft: Gerald Alexander (Second Round, Detroit Lions, 2007), Orlando Scandrick (Fifth Round, Dallas Cowboys, 2008), Kyle Wilson (First Round, New York Jets, 2010), Brandyn Thompson (Seventh Round, Washington Redskins, 2011) and George Iloka (Fifth Round, Cincinnati Bengals, 2012).

He also coached Jamar Taylor, who was selected in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft by the Miami Dolphins.

The Aggies concluded the 2012 season ranked fifth-nationally in both the Associated Press and USA Today Coaches Polls, and won 11 games for the first time since 1998. The Aggies went 9-4 in 2013, finishing the season ranked No. 18 in each poll.

Prior to joining the Boise State staff in 2003, Yates was an assistant secondary coach at Montana State from 2001-02. In his second season with the Bobcats, Montana State won its first Big Sky Conference Championship and earned its first NCAA Division I-AA Playoff appearance in 18 years.

Yates earned his bachelor's degree in social science from Boise State in 2000. Following his senior season, he earned the team's Denny Erickson Award for Valor.

He and his wife Melanie have two children, daughter Kaybrie and son Eric. [/font]

Well, at least this guy owns the proper tie. Hire him!

One thing that concerns me is that he was a Co-DC at TAMU that had horrible defenses then that prompted John Chavis being hired. Not sure if this has too much to do with this, but this needs to be taken into consideration.

One thing that concerns me is that he was a Co-DC at TAMU that had horrible defenses then that prompted John Chavis being hired. Not sure if this has too much to do with this, but this needs to be taken into consideration.

Is the "co-anything" ever really what they're supposed to be. Lets be honest, CDC is the co-offensive coordinator but I'm sure he has little say.

@ESPNRittenburg Shoop has turned down an opportunity to discuss the AU DC job...not good!

Why should a DC already getting paid handsomely(was it a million plus?) leave an established university to come to a job where he may not even be employed the following year?

@ESPNRittenburg Shoop has turned down an opportunity to discuss the AU DC job...not good!

That could mean he was told AU has picked who they want and it's not him. His agent puts out that he turned it down so that he doesn't look like he was passed over.

I have no information regarding this, but it's a possibility.

Not sure why people are so quick to jump to the "not good" side of things when they know nothing about where the process is.

Rivals reporting the Gus "DC search" is now focused on someone at another SEC school. The rest is the, not allowed to discuss pay stuff.

by Jay G. Tate

Auburn's search for a new defensive coordinator has led Gus Malzahn to another Southeastern Conference outpost. Which one? Let's discuss! [premium.gifdetails]

https://auburn.rivals.com/

Archived