Staff Changes

fredst

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1

It's a broad area between knowing what you want your team to look like on both sides of the ball and putting a definitive plan in place to get to the end product. It takes years, experience and learning from your mistakes to get that product fine tuned and running like a factory where the plan spits out a proven product on the field. Once you have the design in place and have achieved the desired results then you have a template to operate your program with......it's the process in between the plan and the winning product that is so gruesome for us fans.

We have a head coach that's still trying to find his legs - it's kind of unfortunate that he's having to do it in the toughest division in the country against coaches that have a proven product to work with and that have been in the buisness for decades.

+1

It's a broad area between knowing what you want your team to look like on both sides of the ball and putting a definitive plan in place to get to the end product. It takes years, experience and learning from your mistakes to get that product fine tuned and running like a factory where the plan spits out a proven product on the field. Once you have the design in place and have achieved the desired results then you have a template to operate your program with......it's the process in between the plan and the winning product that is so gruesome for us fans.

We have a head coach that's still trying to find his legs - it's kind of unfortunate that he's having to do it in the toughest division in the country against coaches that have a proven product to work with and that have been in the buisness for decades.

I think he learned a great deal this year. It will serve him and Auburn well in the future.

Malzahn's personal loyalties to Lashlee will keep Gus from firing him and that isn't a good after how we watched the offense take a dive this year and last year.

oh heck, I throw this one out there. They finished #12 in total D this year.

Nate Woody is in his third season as Appalachian State’s defensive coordinator and his second year coaching the Mountaineers’ outside linebackers.

In just two seasons, Woody has overseen the transformation of a defense that ranked eighth out of nine teams in the NCAA Division I FCS Southern Conference in total defense the year prior to his arrival (2012) to the top-ranked unit in the Division I FBS Sun Belt Conference in 2014.

Woody’s top-ranked defense yielded just 347.5 yards per game in 2014, 25.7 less than the Sun Belt’s No. 2 defense (UL Monroe - 373.2 ypg) and good for 25th nationally.

Despite having only one senior starter, Woody’s 3-4 unit was particularly impressive in its first go-around in Sun Belt play. The Mountaineers surrendered just 335.6 yards per game in conference action and an ultra-impressive 267.8 yards per contest during the Mountaineers’ six-game winning streak to close the season (all against league foes).

Individually, outside linebacker Kennan Gilchrist earned honorable-mention all-Sun Belt recognition during Woody’s first season leading the unit and freshman Devan Stringer was one of the Sun Belt’s most impressive rookies with 34 tackles and two sacks in just 10 games (seven starts).

Woody came to Appalachian State in 2013 as defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach. In his first season at App State, the Mountaineers fielded a much-improved defensive unit, surrendering fewer points, rushing yards and total yards than they did in 2012.

Under Woody’s tutelage, half of the Mountaineers’ inside-linebacking crew received postseason accolades in 2013, with Karl Anderson earning all-Southern Conference recognition and John Law being named an NCAA Division I FCS freshman all-American.

Woody came to Appalachian State after 13 successful seasons as the defensive coordinator at former Southern Conference rival Wofford. Woody spent the first 22 years of his collegiate coaching career at Wofford (1988-93, 1997-2012) and served as the Terriers’ defensive coordinator from 2000-12.

In his 13 seasons at the helm of his alma mater’s defense, Woody built one of the Southern Conference’s most successful units. Wofford led the SoCon in total defense three times under Woody’s direction, including twice in the last three campaigns (2010 and 2012), and produced nine all-Americans and three SoCon Defensive Players of the Year.

In Woody’s final season at Wofford (2012), the Terriers allowed just 16.6 points, 125 rushing yards and 305.9 total yards per game, good for tops in the SoCon in all three categories. Wofford ranked among the top 10 nationally in total defense two of the past three seasons — seventh in 2010 (285.9 ypg) and ninth in 2012. The Terriers also led the nation in takeaways with 41 in 2003.

Woody was a four-year starter at Wofford from 1980-83, playing two years at defensive back and two at outside linebacker. He was an honorable-mention all-American as a senior, as well as a two-time all-district honoree and served as the Terriers’ team captain in 1983. He graduated from Wofford with a B.A. in business economics in 1984.

He was born in Burlington, N.C. and spent part of his childhood in nearby Morganton, N.C. before attending high school at T.L. Hanna H.S. in Anderson, S.C. At Hanna, he was a four-sport standout (football, basketball, baseball and soccer) and played in the 1979 Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas. Woody and his wife, Rebecca, have two sons, Nicolas and Jacob.

WOODY AT A GLANCE

Coaching Experience

1988-93, 1997-99: Wofford (assistant coach)

2000-12: Wofford (defensive coordinator)

2013: Appalachian State (defensive coordinator/inside linebackers)

2014-pres.: Appalachian State (defensive coordinator/outside linebackers)

Playing Experience

1980-83: Wofford (DB/LB)

Alma Mater: Wofford, 1984

Hometown: Anderson, S.C.

Birthdate: Dec. 30, 1960 (54 years old)

Wife: Rebecca

Sons: Nicolas and Jacob

Twitter: @CoachNateWoody

Malzahn's personal loyalties to Lashlee will keep Gus from firing him and that isn't a good after how we watched the offense take a dive this year and last year.

:bs:

:bs:

Actually this part is somewhat true

:bs:/>

I would hope he is loyal...and what has Lashlee done to deserve the boot anyway? Just this years poster coach to blame?

I would hope he is loyal...and what has Lashlee done to deserve the boot anyway? Just this years poster coach to blame?

No offense to begin with making $600,000

So one down year of offense and he deserves to be fired?

Well if your Gus you have got to get something figured out for the offense. Job is on the line. Guess we'll find out

Well if your Gus you have got to get something figured out for the offense. Job is on the line. Guess we'll find out

^^This. Baylor was resorting to putting receivers in at QB and even a 4th stringer and they were still scoring points. I shudder to think what our offense would have looked like with similar obstacles.

This is the guy that I would love to see us bring in. Randy Shannon is a Co D coordinator at Florida and is making 400,000$. He is a great recruiter and has great contacts with the Florida high school coaches. His defenses at Miami and now Florida speak for themselves.

In 2001, Miami Hurricanes head coach Larry Coker hired Shannon to be the Canes' defensive coordinator. That year Miami won the BCS National Championship, and Shannon received the Broyles Award recognizing him as the best assistant coach in college football. The Hurricanes' 2001 national championship team is widely considered to be one of the greatest college football teams of all time. During Shannon's six years as the Hurricanes defensive coordinator, his defenses consistently finished among the best in the nation:

This is the guy that I would love to see us bring in. Randy Shannon is a Co D coordinator at Florida and is making 400,000$. He is a great recruiter and has great contacts with the Florida high school coaches. His defenses at Miami and now Florida speak for themselves.

In 2001, Miami Hurricanes head coach Larry Coker hired Shannon to be the Canes' defensive coordinator. That year Miami won the BCS National Championship, and Shannon received the Broyles Award recognizing him as the best assistant coach in college football. The Hurricanes' 2001 national championship team is widely considered to be one of the greatest college football teams of all time. During Shannon's six years as the Hurricanes defensive coordinator, his defenses consistently finished among the best in the nation:

He's been mentioned several times on this board, and (resume-wise) sounds outstanding. Unfortunately, there have been no media hints that he's even being considered, at least that I've seen.

^^This. Baylor was resorting to putting receivers in at QB and even a 4th stringer and they were still scoring points. I shudder to think what our offense would have looked like with similar obstacles.

Don't blame Lashlee, blame Gus and JJ for the crazy salaries. We paid our coaches their salary to match what the spaut is paying, yet our guys are realistically not as qualified. . Lashlee is gonna be the OC whether we like it or not cause Gus trusts him and in sports you need someone that thinks like u.

He's been mentioned several times on this board, and (resume-wise) sounds outstanding. Unfortunately, there have been no media hints that he's even being considered, at least that I've seen.

PM will have an article up about it before the night is over now.

PM will have an article up about it before the night is over now.

True. PM will throw whatever against the wall that will stick. But I would be more excited about Shannon than Allen.

wde

True. PM will throw whatever against the wall that will stick.

Why do people keep repeating this? As far as I can tell he's only literally mentioned Kelly and Allen. Who are all these guys that Marshall is "throwing against the wall" every night?

True. PM will throw whatever against the wall that will stick.

Why do people keep repeating this? As far as I can tell he's only literally mentioned Kelly and Allen. Who are all these guys that Marshall is "throwing against the wall" every night?

He has also mentioned Shoop and Grantham just to name two more. He does not do this "every night" but often enough that it is obvious he has no clue and is just baiting.

wde

Yeah I think he would Mushamp us as soon as he gets offered. Gus is looking for some stability, not someone looking to add Auburn on their resume .

He has also mentioned Shoop and Grantham just to name two more. He does not do this "every night" but often enough that it is obvious he has no clue and is just baiting.

wde

How is he baiting? If anything, Marshall and 247 were the most accurate on Muschamp going to South Carolina throughout the entire ordeal.

We're going on 20+ days of officially having no DC, with many more wherein it was obvious that Muschamp was gunning for the USCe job. Kelly and Allen can't possibly be the only two names to be actual candidates in that time-frame.

wde

How is he baiting? If anything, Marshall and 247 were the most accurate on Muschamp going to South Carolina throughout the entire ordeal.

We're going on 20+ days of officially having no DC, with many more wherein it was obvious that Muschamp was gunning for the USCe job. Kelly and Allen can't possibly be the only two names to be actual candidates in that time-frame.

What site ever said Muschamp would not go to South Carolina if he was offered the job? That was a no brainer.

OK, do you think Grantham and Shoop were or are legitimate candidates other than Kelly and Allen? Who else have you determined, from reading PM, ITAT, this board, and the AU board on Tigerdroppings; are really legit candidates for the job?

wde

Archived