Staff Changes

fredst

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish P. Marshall would quit pulling names out of his "Idiot Hat" every other day and let Gus do what Gus needs to do with the hiring of the staff.

This x1000

He does it because he knows that people will read what he writes true or not.

I don't know that Tom Allen is even being talked to. USF boards seem to think he's staying another year.

We don't even know that he was or is a candidate in the first place. It's based on nothing but speculation backed up by nothing.

ALL speculation at this point.

And what exactly do people see in Tom Allen that they like? He's been a DC for 1 yr. Is it his defensive scheme (4-2-5) which is the same as Ellis Johnson's? What about his defense that gave up +400 yrds to FSU/Maryland/Memphis/Navy/Cincy, and gave up + 500 yrds to Uconn and gave up +600 yrds last night. So he improved USF's defense from avergaging 403ypg and 27 ppg in 2014 to 381 ypg and 23 ppg in 2015.....Is this the best Gus can do right now?

So your saying his defense was better than Muschamp's?

Is that why people are so enthused about Tom Allen? Because his defense was better than Mushcamp's?

I'm just wondering what the man has done in one year to make him so desireable for the AU DC? We pretty much knew what Muschamp brougt to the table, we knew from his history what he could do at Auburn. We knew he could change the work ethic and the culture on defense. What do we know about Tom Allen? I honestly didn't know one thing about him until I saw his name on this board.

I don't know that Tom Allen is even being talked to. USF boards seem to think he's staying another year.

We don't even know that he was or is a candidate in the first place. It's based on nothing but speculation backed up by nothing.

And what exactly do people see in Tom Allen that they like? He's been a DC for 1 yr. Is it his defensive scheme (4-2-5) which is the same as Ellis Johnson's? What about his defense that gave up +400 yrds to FSU/Maryland/Memphis/Navy/Cincy, and gave up + 500 yrds to Uconn and gave up +600 yrds last night. So he improved USF's defense from avergaging 403ypg and 27 ppg in 2014 to 381 ypg and 23 ppg in 2015.....Is this the best Gus can do right now?

Is that why people are so enthused about Tom Allen? Because his defense was better than Mushcamp's?

I'm just wondering what the man has done in one year to make him so desireable for the AU DC? We pretty much knew what Muschamp brougt to the table, we knew from his history what he could do at Auburn. We knew he could change the work ethic and the culture on defense. What do we know about Tom Allen? I honestly didn't know one thing about him until I saw his name on this board.

The honest truth is, there aren't a lot of candidates out there to get overly excited about, so people are looking for the good in any name that pops up so that they can be excited about something regarding Auburn football, this year.

We're not getting a Muschamp this time around. A coordinator with a long history of producing results isn't coming. It's going to be Tom Allen or someone along that line, someone who has promise but not a long history.

I'm with Shocks. As long as we don't get a coach of poor character (thank you bama for taking one of those off the table), I'm good. I think Muschamp did what was needed to fix the cultural issues we were having on D, and the remaining assistants, along with Gus, will make sure that we keep moving in the right direction, no matter who the DC is.

LMAO!

What the hell does a coach of poor character have to do with getting the best coach available? There were plenty of us that would have taken Jeremy Pruitt over any of the guys Phillip Marshall has mentioned thusfar. Pruitt recruits lights out ~ and he has experience as a DC, and has coached under three very successful HC's recently.

I remember a large contengent of AU fans (myself included) seriously wanting Bobby Petrino to be our HC not too long after he laid down the Harley.

The honest truth is, there aren't a lot of candidates out there to get overly excited about, so people are looking for the good in any name that pops up so that they can be excited about something regarding Auburn football, this year.

Thanks for the honesty.

LMAO!

What the hell does a coach of poor character have to do with getting the best coach available? There were plenty of us that would have taken Jeremy Pruitt over any of the guys Phillip Marshall has mentioned thusfar. Pruitt recruits lights out ~ and he has experience as a DC, and has coached under three very successful HC's recently.

I remember a large contengent of AU fans (myself included) seriously wanting Bobby Petrino to be our HC not too long after he laid down the Harley.

Welp.

Lol the hardest thing for us on this board is admitting and dealing with we don't know anything at all

Soooooo true. (Really, it's the hardest thing for people, period.)

I have no problem admitting that I know nothing AT ALL. Today is my 37th Anniversary. I am reminded of my total lack of knowledge often. JK.

Lol the hardest thing for us on this board is admitting and dealing with we don't know anything at all

I have no problem admitting that I know nothing AT ALL. Today is my 37th Anniversary. I am reminded of my total lack of knowledge often. JK.

whats_the_difference_between_a_smart_man.jpg

Before improving USF, he did a great job at Ole Miss. Does he have Muschamp's track record? Who does?

Congrats WT! That is a great achievement that I hope I am able to mimic!!

With that said, In Gus, I Trust...He will get us the best available DC and have the offense clicking on all cylinders next year!

WDE!!

Congrats WarTim!

I heard that. When people ask me how long the wife and I have been married I tell them..."42 years, but it only seems like 41."

I heard that. When people ask me how long the wife and I have been married I tell them..."42 years, but it only seems like 41."

Hah! Like others who have responded, I am paying attention to this sage wisdom. Good work, gentlemen.

I'm with Shocks. As long as we don't get a coach of poor character (thank you bama for taking one of those off the table), I'm good. I think Muschamp did what was needed to fix the cultural issues we were having on D, and the remaining assistants, along with Gus, will make sure that we keep moving in the right direction, no matter who the DC is.

LMAO!

As I believe it was Cubelic pointed out in an article earlier this year, that's not who Auburn is. We don't place winning over character and guys like Petrino and Pruitt don't fit in our culture. Yea, I don't disagree with you at all that Pruitt is a very good coordinator. I just don't want the baggage that comes with him to be representing my university. If Saban offered to leave bama and come to Auburn, at 1/4 of his salary, I wouldn't want him here either. Auburn is about winning WITH class.

Been there many time Tim

Let's not forget that CWM's dc track record has been under some very good defensive head coaches. When you go Saban and Tuberville you learn a lot and you look good while you're learning. Tom Allen. Might have the fire we need in a coordinator. Thompson and Garner are telling these recruits something and they are buying in. If they are telling them Allen is the guy, then he's got a way with recruits too.

I don't think coaches are telling these recruits that Allen is the guy and these testosterone-filled teenagers aren't telling a single solitary soul. I honestly feel word would have leaked out by now. Also, there would be a lot of trust lost if they told these young men this and in the 11th hour Allen had a change of heart and for whatever reason decided to stay at USF or pursue another position.

As I look at the big picture with DC/OC coach searches, I think it is hard on a HC to get the right one. I know all of us fans KNOW :-) who they should pick, but lets look at the reality. If you go for a big name like Muschamp and are successful, most likely they will be in line for a HC job if they do well. Same thing for a second tier coach that comes in and is successful will most likely be in line for a smaller school HC job. So how do you find a good coach that is willing to stay for a while ? Getting coaches that are alum of the school helps to some degree, also giving a guy his first shot like Kelly at Florida State helps. We think throwing lots of money makes a different but for good coaches it may be more about their ego and their desire to move up. So where does that leave us ? What is really important is the HC developing a set type defense/offense and recruit coaches to run it, much like successful coaches do at their schools. Getting a grand-slam coach for one year is not what we need to play in the upper tier every year. We can get and retain top HCs because we have the money, facilities and the history to do so. So if Gus is going to be the HC long-term he needs to get more involved in the defense. He also needs to find an OC he trust and step back some from the offense. But in the end he has to have a set plan for both offense and defense and hire good folks to bring that plan to life. Just my thoughts. What are your's. WDE

Archived