Staff Changes

fredst

I prefer a 3-4 with a combination of man and 4 being played behind them. That said, a 4-2-5 is very effective and is played many times a game for most defenses. Most teams just don't base out of it.

Exactly

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every D coordinator in the country that runs a 4 man front runs some version of the nickel, or 4-2-5 as some call it. With the spread packages of the day you have to have more DB's on the field. Otherwise you have matchup problems. Looks like they are running a lot of 5 under 2 deep. They are not tackling very well which is scary.

I prefer a 3-4 with a combination of man and 4 being played behind them. That said, a 4-2-5 is very effective and is played many times a game for most defenses. Most teams just don't base out of it.

Exactly

Right, use it but not as your base defense. 4-3 or a 3-4 as your base.

That last kick off would have gone out of bounds if the return man would have left it alone. Not looking too good for the FSU defense. This may not be the DC we need. Who knows.

Some of the ugliest uniforms I have seen in a while, both teams!

Allen has only been a DC for a year and it is showing more and more the longer the game goes on. If any adjustments have been made, they were all wrong.

USF was TERRIBLE before Allen got there, and he brought them in just one season into a Top 50 D. They are also playing one of the highest scoring offenses in the country. I would not take this one game as any kind of overall opinion on what he could bring to Auburn. Those are not his players he recruited out there on that field. They are not high level SEC talent.

Hopefully we can make it work. Serious question though: can coordinators that run a certain d, like the 4-2-5, just change their strategy, like shifting to a 4-3 or -3-4? Or are they like offensive coordinators who run a certain type of o and asking them to change would be silly? I ask because I'm not the biggest fan of the 4-2-5; I mean, our linebackers have enough trouble making plays when there's three of them on the field. Do we really want to subtract one?

I'm more of a 3-4 guy myself. From our experience with a 4-2-5 I don't want it, I want us to be able to stop the run more than anything

I'm more of a 3-4 guy myself. From our experience with a 4-2-5 I don't want it, I want us to be able to stop the run more than anything

I'll take whatever works. I think 4-2-5 would hurt LB recruiting though. 3-4 i don't think we have enough LBs. Kinda stuck with a base 4-3, but even cwm was in nickel most of time.

I can't believe, well actually I can, that some are making assumptions off of watching one game. Not to mention that WKU put up just under 500 yards on LSU and are a very legit offense

Allen has only been a DC for a year and it is showing more and more the longer the game goes on. If any adjustments have been made, they were all wrong.

They do not have the personnel in the secondary to match up with WKU's pass-heavy offense. You are talking about a team that ranked 108th and 90th in Pass Efficiency Defense last season, and the year prior.

Back to overreacting.

Bump

So I can be self aware of the conversation while I melt about our future DC because he just put out a horrible defense in this year's bowl game.

Maybe it's time for AU to fire Allen before they ever hire him.....lol.

Knowing Jay Jacobs, we'd still have a buyout to dish out.

Good point! I heard Allen may be the next DC and one thing I noticed was his defenses played better in the first half. The second half they gave up more points in nearly every game. Some may say it's just "depth".

I'd hate to have my Job and possibly career riding on this guy. May be great, May not be, but he's a gamble. If it's him I'd just as soon promote from within and give it to CLT. Continuity and stuff.

I'd hate to have my Job and possibly career riding on this guy. May be great, May not be, but he's a gamble. If it's him I'd just as soon promote from within and give it to CLT. Continuity and stuff.

Just because you bring in a new conductor for the orchestra does not mean you have to fire all the musicians. No reason for the existing defensive coaches to lose their jobs just because their boss got a promotion. As noted..."continuity and stuff" is worth while if you consider what the apple-turnover has meant to our defensive efforts the past 5 years.

If it's him I'd just as soon promote from within and give it to CLT. Continuity and stuff.

Stupid logic. No one wants Lance Thompson as a DC, yet you think "continuity" is important enough to overturn that?

Continuity is what made everyone so sure that Jeremy Johnson would be amazing in this offense, remember? Ironically enough, with "continuity" this offense has regressed every single year. We had more success with a guy coming in with barely any practice time versus a guy who had been "in the system" for 3 years.

You hire the best candidate available to you. Lance Thompson is not the best candidate, I can assure you that.

If it's him I'd just as soon promote from within and give it to CLT. Continuity and stuff.

Stupid logic. No one wants Lance Thompson as a DC, yet you think "continuity" is important enough to overturn that?

Continuity is what made everyone so sure that Jeremy Johnson would be amazing in this offense, remember? Ironically enough, with "continuity" this offense has regressed every single year. We had more success with a guy coming in with barely any practice time versus a guy who had been "in the system" for 3 years.

You hire the best candidate available to you. Lance Thompson is not the best candidate, I can assure you that.

Based on?

They do not have the personnel in the secondary to match up with WKU's pass-heavy offense. You are talking about a team that ranked 108th and 90th in Pass Efficiency Defense last season, and the year prior.

Back to overreacting.

The talent level at USF is better than WKU and they have been running that offense for 1 year more than USF.

Allen may be great but they didn't look it today. That was my observation. People can pump sunshine about this being a homerun hire (and it could be) but it is a huge gamble more than anything.

Back to overreacting.

The talent level at USF is better than WKU and they have been running that offense for 1 year more than USF.

Allen may be great but they didn't look it today. That was my observation. People can pump sunshine about this being a homerun hire (and it could be) but it is a huge gamble more than anything.

Damn, you've totally pegged Metafour -- sunshine pumper par excellence!

Archived