Staff Changes

fredst

Regarding Tom Allen, he's coaching in a bowl game on Monday so that could very well explain the perceived inactivity. It may be that he doesn't want any negotiations to cause a distraction or possibly that any formal announcement is being delayed until after the game.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the report it said HE has not been officially contacted by anyone from Auburn. I remember Tuberville saying the same thing before taking the head coaching job at Auburn. But I also wouldn't mind seeing Rhodes get the job.

Paul Rhoads would be a nice get. He would possibly bring his DC from Iowa State, Wally Burnham. This would be a nice get with both coaches having been DCs at other schools. Coach Tuberville really liked Rhoads. Just another name though. I wish Gus would get this done and over with. It should be an easy process for Gus. Find a coach that you really like and offer him enough money to come to Auburn.

I remembered that name from somewhere, so of course I had to Google it to find out where. Upon so doing, I saw that Wally retired after this season, so no dice. And after 50 years in coaching, I'm not sure he could possibly relate to today's 18-22 year olds anyway.

In the report it said HE has not been officially contacted by anyone from Auburn. I remember Tuberville saying the same thing before taking the head coaching job at Auburn. But I also wouldn't mind seeing Rhodes get the job.

I think he used the word "formally" contacted. Meaning exactly what I said about Kelly...everything stays backchannel, indirect and theoretical until there's a "yes", then the actual, official offer comes.

I seem to remember Rhoads saying some unpleasant things about Auburn after the 2008 season. May have been sour grapes about Chizik getting hired or Tubs getting fired. Its been 7 years so I may be wrong.

His one year on the Plains was no fun for him. Don't blame him.

What I remember is him having some unpleasant things to say about the condition Chizik left the Iowa State program in. I was incredulous at the time. Now, notsomuch.

Is it just me, or is this search taking longer than most we've had, including replacing Tubbs, Philip Lolley, roof, Chizik, Ellis, etc? Maybe it is

It hasn't been two weeks yet since Muschamp left.

Regarding Tom Allen, he's coaching in a bowl game on Monday so that could very well explain the perceived inactivity. It may be that he doesn't want any negotiations to cause a distraction or possibly that any formal announcement is being delayed until after the game.

‘With so many coaches involved in bowl games, however, Malzahn may have to wait till the post season is over to bring in the new defensive coordinator. And that seems to be alright with Gus. “I want to get the right guy,” Malzahn said. “Timetable is still the same. Like I said, sooner rather than later, but I want to make sure we get the right person.” ‘

http://trackemtigers.com/four-directions-gus-malzahn-could-take-in-defensive-coordinator-search/

I think he used the word "formally" contacted. Meaning exactly what I said about Kelly...everything stays backchannel, indirect and theoretical until there's a "yes", then the actual, official offer comes.

‘Allen told The Tampa Bay Times yesterday, “I have not engaged in any formal conversations with Auburn.” But that doesn’t mean there hasn’t been some communication between third parties on his behalf.’

http://trackemtigers.com/four-directions-gus-malzahn-could-take-in-defensive-coordinator-search/

I'm sure this has alreay been mentioned but I can't find it anywhere

What happened to Lashlee getting interviewed and being the top choice for those schools?

They read this board and realized if we were so happy to see him go that they didn't want him

Wouldn't shock me. Not that a soul on here has any idea whether Lashlee was to blame for our issues or not. Just an easy scapegoat.

I think the vitriol has been- predictably- way over the top, but some of our more informed friends have posted that CRL has not exactly earned his paycheck. Furthermore, those same folks said that Gus wasn't exactly trying to talk him out of other opportunities after last year IIRC.

makes sense to me and why would CRL have any accountability for our offensive woes?....he's only the Offensive Coordinator. Its so unfair for people to scapegoat him and actually think he had ANYTHING to do with Auburn's problems. Let's just put it this way. If the offense is all Gus's baby, Rhett is unnecessary anyway.

I'm sure this has alreay been mentioned but I can't find it anywhere

What happened to Lashlee getting interviewed and being the top choice for those schools?

They read this board and realized if we were so happy to see him go that they didn't want him

Wouldn't shock me. Not that a soul on here has any idea whether Lashlee was to blame for our issues or not. Just an easy scapegoat.

I think the vitriol has been- predictably- way over the top, but some of our more informed friends have posted that CRL has not exactly earned his paycheck. Furthermore, those same folks said that Gus wasn't exactly trying to talk him out of other opportunities after last year IIRC.

makes sense to me and why would CRL have any accountability for our offensive woes?....he's only the Offensive Coordinator. Its so unfair for people to scapegoat him and actually think he had ANYTHING to do with Auburn's problems. Let's just put it this way. If the offense is all Gus's baby, Rhett is unnecessary anyway.

Most offensive oriented HCs decide the offense and frequently call their own plays a good part of the time from what I read...but they all have OCs too ...which involves more than just calling plays on Saturday.

Sometimes it's hard to tell where the responsibilities diverge but I note that UNC lost their OC last week but their HC , Larry Fedora said that nothing would change since it was his offense. Same for Briles at Baylor. IMO, just because it's Gus's offense, does not mean that CRL does not perform useful and valuable functions.

Similar coaching relationships are found all over the place....and now that Trob is the DC at USCe, does anyone really think the defense is being turned over to him?

I think Allen's 4-2-5 could do just fine at Auburn if he is here for more than 1 year. As others have said the scheme works fine at ole miss. The key is getting personnel to fill the role of a true hybrid. And establishing a pass rush and over all d-line push. I don't believe the problem with Ellis' D was the scheme.

Is it just me, or is this search taking longer than most we've had, including replacing Tubbs, Philip Lolley, roof, Chizik, Ellis, etc? Maybe it is

Yeah but it just seems like we had some coaches named in about a week. Plus, this just FEELS like it is absolutely dragging on forever lol

Yeah but it just seems like we had some coaches named in about a week. Plus, this just FEELS like it is absolutely dragging on forever lol

Patience is a Virtue

Of course, Virtue is its own reward, so you don't get anything else out of it?

meh. it really doesn't, to me anyway. It's not vital right now. It's the dead period in recruiting.

NFL teams seem to run more of the 3-4 scheme. Could it be that we are looking at an NFL coach? He's hired one before and he stuck around for a couple of weeks. Regular season will end soon maybe then we will hear something.

NFL teams seem to run more of the 3-4 scheme. Could it be that we are looking at an NFL coach? He's hired one before and he stuck around for a couple of weeks. Regular season will end soon maybe then we will hear something.

I was wondering that myself. It's the best explanation for why it is taking this long.

Right now the important thing is keeping the recruits that we have lined up and adding more recruits. So far not having a DC has not hurt us. Davidson is in as is Franklin we might get some good news on Antwuan and Elysee tomorrow if we do we will have done great without a DC. We are in a Dead Period so impact is not as bad. If it takes a while to get the right guy whether it is somebody already mentioned, a current NFL guy, a current College DC or promoting a position coach from within or without we will be fine. With Bowls and playoffs we might have to wait.

There has been way to much panic. Initial rumor was our current coaches were not contacting our commits that was proven false as seen by commits tweets about the love they got from Garner, Thompson, and Gus. Then Kelly and after all the rumors both Gus and Kelly said there was no official offer. We will get a great DC just be patient.

I was wondering that myself. It's the best explanation for why it is taking this long.

We honestly don't have the players to run a 3-4

I think Allen's 4-2-5 could do just fine at Auburn if he is here for more than 1 year. As others have said the scheme works fine at ole miss. The key is getting personnel to fill the role of a true hybrid. And establishing a pass rush and over all d-line push. I don't believe the problem with Ellis' D was the scheme.

It was the scheme, if you consider a scheme a subset of a defense. Many of Ellis' defensive schemes in his 4-2-5 were different from Dave Wommack's schemes in his 4-2-5. And both are different from Bud Foster's schemes in his 4-2-5.

We honestly don't have the players to run a 3-4

On paper there is not much difference in CWM's hybrid 4-3 defense and Nick Saban's 3-4. CWM's "Buck" is coached as a linebacker, like Saban's Jack LB. Note the people who played Buck in 2015: Lawson, Cass McKinzy, and Jeff Holland. However, we don't have Saban's giant interior linemen. Saban recruits 300lb NTs and DTs and puts them at the DE position in his 3-4. It gives his defense tremendous run stopping ability. We do not have enough big, top tier interior linemen to run a traditional 4-3, much less a Saban-like 3-4.

Archived