Staff Changes

fredst

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice.

How does the search go from Gus' side? Does he reach out to his network or is he utilizing Jimmy Sexton's network or how does it work? Seems like Gus' limited experience in college football might hinder him. Could this possibly be why we go after so many ex Auburn players to fill our staff?

I'd guess that the chain of communication goes Gus > AU admin types > candidate's agent > candidate. AU reps talk to agent to gauge candidate's interest, find out his needs and concerns, etc. A lot of those questions would be answered by the AD and not Gus, anyway. Just my guess, though.

Interesting. Thanks. I have no idea how this works but AU's name alone under normal circumstances would attract big names for the DC position. I know the talk will all be about "I'm Gus Malzahn, I will bounce back from the worst offensive year of my life." But something positive to look at is Paul Rhodes got a HC gig after a one year stint at AU after the HC was fired. Yeah, yeah I know that was with a productive defense. I totally get that times are different, and the "culture" around the defense at AU is nowhere near the same that it used to be and if you only have one year to try to turn around a defense that has been bad for almost an entire decade it probably isn't going to help your future job prospects if you are only given one year. Man, this is tough.

I'm sure this has alreay been mentioned but I can't find it anywhere

What happened to Lashlee getting interviewed and being the top choice for those schools?

They read this board and realized if we were so happy to see him go that they didn't want him

so all of the schools considering him went elsewhere? Or we are just assuming they did

I'm not sure to be honest I was just trying to be funny. Emphasis on "trying".

I thought it was funny. Got a good chuckle out of it.

Serious question. Why is everyone so fixated on the big name or "sexy" hire? In my opinion the "interim" guys will be THE guys next year or the new DC is coaching a New Years 6 bowl game. Both of which I'm perfectly ok with. We made tremendous strides the second half of the season . We know that and Gus knows that. I don't think it'd be wise to switch to something completely different. Can always improve but we don't need the drastic change.

Serious question. Why is everyone so fixated on the big name or "sexy" hire? In my opinion the "interim" guys will be THE guys next year or the new DC is coaching a New Years 6 bowl game. Both of which I'm perfectly ok with. We made tremendous strides the second half of the season . We know that and Gus knows that. I don't think it'd be wise to switch to something completely different. Can always improve but we don't need the drastic change.

"Big names" typically bring in better recruits.

You know, the funny thing about this whole Tom Allen story, is that the entire story originated from an unreliable source - Phillip Marshall, who probably threw a bunch of names in a hat, picked out a name then posted an article about it saying that we were going after him, then a bunch of other news sites read that article, and spread the entire rumor around thus making everyone believe that Allen is Malzahn's guy, when for all we know Malzahn might be actively pursuing the DC from the University of Hawaii (joke).

Not if they are just around for a year or two. Most of our older players have played for 3 or 4 DCs.... and CWM barely made it for one year....so do players really think our coaches are going to be here their entire careers? I bet not.

I'm hoping that the name of AUBURN will do the job and that Gus can close the deal if there any questions.

Just read where Georgia: Inside linebackers coach / co-special teams coordinator Mike Ekeler is leaving the staff to pursue another opportunity as a defensive coordinator. Ekeler stated he has already accepted a DC position. Is he our next DC?

Not if they are just around for a year or two. Most of our older players have played for 3 or 4 DCs.... and CWM barely made it for one year....so do players really think our coaches are going to be here their entire careers? I bet not.

I'm hoping that the name of AUBURN will do the job and that Gus can close the deal if there any questions.

Exactly....get back to the Auburn brand of defense and not a Muschamp or Chizik or whomever.

Just read where Georgia: Inside linebackers coach / co-special teams coordinator Mike Ekeler is leaving the staff to pursue another opportunity as a defensive coordinator. Ekeler stated he has already accepted a DC position. Is he our next DC?

He's the guy who hurt the Georgia player. When they were celebrating on the sideline he whacked him upside the head and sent him to the ground.

I just wish we would make a hire soon. For no other reason than to let our defensive recruits know who will be DC and to let those who are on the fence decide if they want to come aboard or seek other opportunities.

He's the guy who hurt the Georgia player. When they were celebrating on the sideline he whacked him upside the head and sent him to the ground.

then he"s just the guy we need....

he will be a perfect fit, if he can punch the dry erase board he gets an extra 500k

he will be a perfect fit, if he can punch the dry erase board he gets an extra 500k

:hellyeah:

Never been a DC, never coached anything other than linebackers on defense. Way less qualified than LT and his hire would definitely send LT packing (and probably a handful of recruits). That hire once vetted would require a whole new meltdown thread.

If it was going to be Tom Allen, then why hasn't it happened yet? You would think that Tom Allen would be all over that...

Check the post right above yours. Auburn's not exactly a picture of stability right now to the casual observer. Dude needs to do his due diligence before taking any job, regardless.

A lot of well respected DCs have had mediocre (or worse) results at AU in recent years.....a prospective coach might want to think about why that might happen...and what he could do differently.

He may also, in weighing the cost, wonder why those well respected DCs who had good to great careers prior to/and after coming to Auburn, has had mediocre (or worse) results at AU.

That's a good question that needs to be answered.

I think we all would like an answer to that question, although it really wasn't a question.

No.

No.

Might be Tom Allens though......

No.

Might be Tom Allens though......

I assume you mean Allen's replacement if he comes to AU? That's a possibility. Of course it could also be a whole bunch of other small schools where it would be worth taking a chance on him. Sure as hell hope it isn't at AU...

Just read a report on al.com about Allen. The report said he has not been officially contacted by anyone from Auburn. This could mean the PTB's with Auburn are talking with his agent, and he added he would listen. At least he didn't come out and say, not no, but he'll no.

Paul Rhoads would be a nice get. He would possibly bring his DC from Iowa State, Wally Burnham. This would be a nice get with both coaches having been DCs at other schools. Coach Tuberville really liked Rhoads. Just another name though. I wish Gus would get this done and over with. It should be an easy process for Gus. Find a coach that you really like and offer him enough money to come to Auburn.

I seem to remember Rhoads saying some unpleasant things about Auburn after the 2008 season. May have been sour grapes about Chizik getting hired or Tubs getting fired. Its been 7 years so I may be wrong.

I seem to remember Rhoads saying some unpleasant things about Auburn after the 2008 season. May have been sour grapes about Chizik getting hired or Tubs getting fired. Its been 7 years so I may be wrong.

His one year on the Plains was no fun for him. Don't blame him.

Archived