Staff Changes

fredst

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't all Nickel Packages a 4-2-5. This isn't new as its all perspective.

3-3-5 is also popular with teams that have strong D lines.

Which we do not have due to a lack of coaching at DL.

wde

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more I read about Allen the better I feel about him. However, it really doesn't matter who Gus hires. We will all find a way to sunshine pump the hire whether it's good or bad.

Haha count on it

The more I read about Allen the better I feel about him. However, it really doesn't matter who Gus hires. We will all find a way to sunshine pump the hire whether it's good or bad.

And others will find a way to say we're doomed for failure. Welcome to AUF B)

Sorry if I missed it earlier, but is Gus actually looking at Allen, or are we just talking about him here?

Nobody here knows who gus is looking at or talking too.

10-4. Thanks WT.

Phillip Marshall is the one who said Allen was a candidate.

PM is just throwing crap on the wall in hopes someone will subscribe to his site. When Mark Murphy posts that Allen is a candidate then it will be real.

wde

Sounds like everyone else. People are throwing names out.

And others will find a way to say we're doomed for failure. Welcome to AUF B)/>

I remember when Loeffler was hired and we all thought it would be great. That's gotta be the biggest dupe in AU history.

Ellis ran the 4-2-5 and look where it got us and him. He was fired and we still look awful.

Either keep up with the discussion or stop posting. Your inane drivel is tiresome

And others will find a way to say we're doomed for failure. Welcome to AUF B)/>

I remember when Loeffler was hired and we all thought it would be great. That's gotta be the biggest dupe in AU history.

But Tom Brady endorsed him. *crickets*

Really the only offensive alignment that will constantly put the 4-2-5 in conflict is the 20 personnel, 2 backs and no tight ends which means that there are 3 WR's. This presents major run or pass threats and if that hybrid LB/S can't play in the box effectively then it creates some issues.

The options are bring in a third LB which means you are limited in coverage with 2 safeties and a lot of zone or some other coverage with just a single safety in the back, or be able to stop the run effectively with your hybrid guy.

If there are less than three WR's there is little issue with bringing in a third LB. And if there are more than three then you are going to be playing with at least 5 DB's anyway.

I could see Tray fitting in just fine at Star in a 4-2-5. My bigger worry would be filling in that slot after he's gone (but Tray's year would give us time to try and start recruiting/developing guys to fill that role)

I could see Tray fitting in just fine at Star in a 4-2-5. My bigger worry would be filling in that slot after he's gone (but Tray's year would give us time to try and start recruiting/developing guys to fill that role)

Also have young guys like Jamel Dean and Jordan Colbert. I would hope that the player in that role would change depending on the competition. The right fit against UAT would not necessarily be the best fit against Ole Miss

Per the referenced article http://www.voodoofive.com/2015/6/24/8836443/a-deeper-look-at-the-new-usf-defense

"The main weakness of the 4-2-5 is runs up the gut. Without a third linebacker, there can be a crack in the middle of this defense for a good power team. "

Please bring in an experienced coordinator that is experienced in 4-3 or 3-4 and adjusts to a 4-2-5 instead of running that as a base. The only team that runs a true spread that AU faces regularly is Texas A & M.

Per the referenced article http://www.voodoofiv...new-usf-defense

"The main weakness of the 4-2-5 is runs up the gut. Without a third linebacker, there can be a crack in the middle of this defense for a good power team. "

Please bring in an experienced coordinator that is experienced in 4-3 or 3-4 and adjusts to a 4-2-5 instead of running that as a base. The only team that runs a true spread that AU faces regularly is Texas A & M.

If a team lines up with 2 backs and a tight end, any 4-2-5 DC will put in a bigger LB to counter. The problem that EJ had is that 1. #8 and #17 were pitiful tacklers, 2. Garret got hurt and his replacement was smaller and 3. The interior DL was not very good. And if you cannot stop 1 back running teams with any combination of players on the field then it is going to put you in a bind because the choices are 1. subbing in a LB for your hybrid or 2. committing yet another player to the box for 8 against the run which leaves you playing 0 coverage in the back (assuming that the 1 back team plays with a TE). If it is 1 back 4 WR, you can't sub in a LB, you have to play with the 5 DB's.

So is the USF DC our frontrunner? Considering how much they've improved over the last two years, I'd be more than happy with that.

Think we could definitely do a lot worse

Good one.... In all seriousness I have full faith in Gus and the coaching staff, however I'm a little disappointed that we have not heard something by now. I was atleast hoping to hear something by today. Makes me think that's it's either going to be a promotion or someone no ones brought up.

This is the latest word out of the Football Offices.

https://search.yahoo...8;hsimp=yhs-001

Good one.... In all seriousness I have full faith in Gus and the coaching staff, however I'm a little disappointed that we have not heard something by now. I was atleast hoping to hear something by today. Makes me think that's it's either going to be a promotion or someone no ones brought up.

I fully expected (Just my opinion) a name today and press conference tomorrow. Could it be that somebody on our list is coaching in the playoffs?

Sounds like Gus has been hitting the recruiting hard this weekend as expected, may not have had time to talk to any candidates, even ones that have been identified. Tomorrow seems like the day to interview DC candidates

I fully expected (Just my opinion) a name today and press conference tomorrow. Could it be that somebody on our list is coaching in the playoffs?

That's what I'm wondering. Honestly I'm ok with it not being a big name DC. I'm perfectly ok with a solid position coach. They all have to start somewhere. Look what Pruit did in his 1st gig.

I think he pursued Kelly and it took longer than expected and it publicly backfired. So I think he spent the rest of the time before the dead period focusing on recruiting. Plus, with the whole Kelly debacle going public, he and his staff might be a little more tight with info... Pure speculation on my part...

I think he pursued Kelly and it took longer than expected and it publicly backfired. So I think he spent the rest of the time before the dead period focusing on recruiting. Plus, with the whole Kelly debacle going public, he and his staff might be a little more tight with info... Pure speculation on my part...

Don;t know where the rumors originated but sounds to me that some folks in the athletic department need to learn how to keep their mouths SHUT ....does not help AU to be floating rumor or names around during a coaching search. Almost a sure way to allow the Negative Nancys to orchestrate a campaign against the candidate before the poor guy is even hired. .

It may be speculation, but my gut feeling is you're dead on. He's being much more tight lipped now.

Archived