Staff Changes

fredst

Did I read somewhere in here that Allen runs a 4-2-5?

Dear God no more 4-2-5. We still need some more LB's. :beer2:/>

Remember guys, there are several good defenses in a 4-2-5 scheme. Ole miss being 1 that Tom Allen helped with for 3 years and what he brought to USF and moved their defense up 60+ spots from '14-'15. EJ just left a bad impression on us with his version.

It doesn't attract the number of LB's we still need to add depth after the Ellis version. That's the point. Can we just have one more year with a decent size LB class before changing? :)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EJ didn't relate to the players very well and they didn't believe in him or his system. I am not saying a good portion of it was not on the players but the combination simply didn't work.

If you watch the video link I think that you will see Allen appears to be well liked and respected.

Sitting here watching my Saints self destruct... What would it take $$$ to get Allen to join the staff? What would you say is the likelihood Allen would become our DC?

I'm starting to warm up to this Allen guy. He has replaced Rhodes on my top 2. He or Shannon would make me feel good about our direction.

Great write up, and it actually sounds like Allen runs a 4-2-5/3-3-5 hybrid, with both a "Buck" and a "Star" player. In our defense, I would assume that this would be Lawson/Holland at Buck and Tray Matthews at "Star". Essentially, what this means is that the Buck and Star can be shifted to make the defense everything from a 3-4 front to a 4-3, 4-2-5, or even a 3-3-5 depending on the situation. It also allows for some confusion factor, as you could line up in a 4-3 set, but at the snap drop the Buck to LB and the star to coverage and shift to a 3-3-5.

I'm really starting to like Allen's defensive philosophy, and it seems to me he knows how to get the most out of his players.

Yes, a 4-2-5, which makes sense because that is the system Dave Wommack ran at Arky State and runs at Ole Miss. Allen was one of Wommack's defensive assistants.

Linebackers Liking USF's New 4-2-5 Defense

A 4-2-5 is a great situational defense, and a great base defense to run against Spread teams (Bama starts in a 4-2-5 against spread teams). But we need a true 3-4, 4-3, or 3-4/4/3 hybrid as our base because we do play the Arkansas, Bamas, LSUs, and UGAs.

One nice thing about Allen's 4-2-5 is he uses a hybrid 3-4/4-3 front scheme with a a hybrid weakside DE/OLB (called the "Bull" in USF's scheme).

Dear God no more 4-2-5. We still need some more LB's. :beer2:

I'm iffy on that alignment as well. At least the way EJ ran it I am. On the other hand, Ole Miss has run this defense the last two years at least and have had one of the better defenses in the conference. And bammer runs it when playing pass-heavy and spread teams in lieu of their base 3-4.

I'm iffy on that alignment as well. At least the way EJ ran it I am. On the other hand, Ole Miss has run this defense the last two years at least and have had one of the better defenses in the conference. And bammer runs it when playing pass-heavy and spread teams in lieu of their base 3-4.

See my post above, but he seems to be very multiple in what fronts he puts out, whereas EJ ran a 4-2-5 almost exclusively.

Sorry if I missed it earlier, but is Gus actually looking at Allen, or are we just talking about him here?

Nobody here knows who gus is looking at or talking too.

See my post above, but he seems to be very multiple in what fronts he puts out, whereas EJ ran a 4-2-5 almost exclusively.

Also really important, he's a players coach. Motivational. EJ was ummm, not.

Sorry if I missed it earlier, but is Gus actually looking at Allen, or are we just talking about him here?

10-4. Thanks WT.

Phillip Marshall is the one who said Allen was a candidate.

10-4. Thanks WT.

Phillip Marshall is the one who said Allen was a candidate.

PM is just throwing crap on the wall in hopes someone will subscribe to his site. When Mark Murphy posts that Allen is a candidate then it will be real.

wde

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't all Nickel Packages a 4-2-5. This isn't new as its all perspective.

You are correct to an extent. The 4-2-5 has a different philosophy than the Nickel, specifically with what role the 5th DB plays. In fact, not all 4-2-5 defenses use that player in the same way.

The other difference is that the 4-2-5 is a base configuration, whereas the Nickel is a package, which is a variation of the base defense run in passing situations. Conversely, you could run a Heavy package from a 4-2-5 that would essentially be a 3-4/4-3. It's just different terminology and base defenses.

well with some of the crazy posts i have seen i am gonna add one. lets let that yellerwood fellow build a huge wall to block our opponents end zone. and altho 2 by 4's are expensive now we could still save some money..............

What about ole Ed Ogeron (sp) at LSU. He is currently coaching D-line. Former head coach, lots is SEC experience and a very good recruiter?

or

Chris klienman at North Dakota State was the defensive coordinator for their 3 straight National Titles and is now their head coach. (And played in the quarterfinals for another title yesterday) If we are looking for a wild card that is willing to take a shot at making a name for himself, even with a possible one and done. The money would not be a huge issue for us, he makes peanuts.

I throw these out there again, since we seem to be in a infinite loop over the same DC's, we think Gus might be looking at. Change of direction in the DC search. Discuss

What about ole Ed Ogeron (sp) at LSU. He is currently coaching D-line. Former head coach, lots is SEC experience and a very good recruiter?

or

Chris klienman at North Dakota State was the defensive coordinator for their 3 straight National Titles and is now their head coach. (And played in the quarterfinals for another title yesterday) If we are looking for a wild card that is willing to take a shot at making a name for himself, even with a possible one and done. The money would not be a huge issue for us, he makes peanuts.

I throw these out there again, since we seem to be in a infinite loop over the same DC's, we think Gus might be looking at. Change of direction in the DC search. Discuss

Speaking from Louisiana, I don't think Orgerin wants to be a DC.

Archived