Staff Changes

fredst

PM just tweeted something about a new candidate emerging but it's premium content so I didn't get to read it.

I'd bet it's one of the guys TT linked...PM is all over it :lmao:/>

South Florida DC

Please no....

Spent 3 years at Ole Miss. USF had the #37 total D this year. He runs a 4-2-5 at USF though. Pretty much the same that Ole Miss uses, but hopefully different than what EJ used.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PM just tweeted something about a new candidate emerging but it's premium content so I didn't get to read it.

South Florida DC

Please no....

Spent 3 years at Ole Miss. USF had the #37 total D this year. He runs a 4-2-5 at USF though.

Ole Miss fans told me they wished he was still there.

South Florida DC

Please no....

Spent 3 years at Ole Miss. USF had the #37 total D this year. He runs a 4-2-5 at USF though.

Ole Miss fans told me they wished he was still there.

I don't doubt it. From his bio, he played a huge role in turning the D around in 2012 when Freeze got there.

South Florida DC

Please no....

Spent 3 years at Ole Miss. USF had the #37 total D this year. He runs a 4-2-5 at USF though. Pretty much the same that Ole Miss uses, but hopefully different than what EJ used.

I don't want to see that star position crap again.

Almost everyone that plays with 5 DB's runs a 4-2-5. Some like EJ and Gary Patterson base out of it. But watch uat against Clemson or Oklahoma if they get there, they will probably play that alignment ask game

Almost everyone that plays with 5 DB's runs a 4-2-5. Some like EJ and Gary Patterson base out of it. But watch uat against Clemson or Oklahoma if they get there, they will probably play that alignment ask game

The concept is fine. But the execution from EJ's defense (or lack thereof) has left a bad taste in the collective mouth of AU fans.

South Florida was ranked #37 in total defense this year.

And they have been terrible in previous years. 37th defense against AAC teams? Meh.

And they have been terrible in previous years. 37th defense against AAC teams? Meh.

This year was his first year at South Florida. They went from 65th to 23rd in Scoring Defense and 83rd to 37th in Total Defense under Allen.

He would hardly be a "bad" hire. He was very highly regarded at Ole Miss. We're also not landing the pipe-dream candidates that people keep bringing up pointlessly.

Poor LB play and the guy that was supposed to play the 'star' being hurt was more crippling than anything for EJ. I don't disagree that against uat and Arkansas it puts you at a disadvantage unless you have a stud at the third safety

This year was his first year at South Florida. They went from 65th to 23rd in Scoring Defense and 83rd to 37th in Total Defense under Allen.

He would hardly be a "bad" hire. He was very highly regarded at Ole Miss. We're also not landing the pipe-dream candidates that people keep bringing up pointlessly.

I wouldn't say pointlessly. We haf a legitimate shot at Kelly and that set hopes high.

I wouldn't say pointlessly. We haf a legitimate shot at Kelly and that set hopes high.

Kelly is an alum. If he wasn't, he never would have even considered it. Why would FSU's DC leave to come here and be Malzahn's DC when it isn't even guaranteed that Malzahn will be here a year from now?

I'm talking about people bringing up the guy at Boston College or Dava Aranda: coaches that have zero experience in the South and who obviously won't leave their schools to walk into the mess we're currently sitting in. Region matters in coaching. Notice how West Coast coaches don't randomly pop up in the SEC very often?

Ole Miss went from 12th in yards allowed last year with him to 53rd this year and 1st in scoring D to 36th this year without him also. On the flip side, bamas D improved after LT left... Seems like a quality hire on the surface.....switching back to the 4-2-5 for us seems pretty dumb though.

I believe Gibbs was the DC when we sacked Brodie 11 times in the Iron Bowl. That was one heck of game for our defense.

We had a good defense we only lost 2 regular season games. One was the first game, breaking in a new QB, the other was an OT loss to LSU were we gave up 20. That 1st loss was against Georgia Tech and I think they had a really good team. A good QB and Megatron .. we only gave up~23 and that's with Cox throwing 4 picks.

With the way most offenses are nowadays you need that multiple/flexible style D to cover them. I think you would see a bigger LB type in games against teams like LSU, Bama, and Arky...but a DB type against the spread teams. Unless we pull in guys that really can do both.

That said, I would be happy with Allen as DC. Obviously it would also depend on who he brings in/keeps on staff. But Shannon would still be my choice.

I believe Gibbs was the DC when we sacked Brodie 11 times in the Iron Bowl. That was one heck of game for our defense.

We had a good defense we only lost 2 regular season games. One was the first game, breaking in a new QB, the other was an OT loss to LSU were we gave up 20. That 1st loss was against Georgia Tech and I think they had a really good team. A good QB and Megatron .. we only gave up~23 and that's with Cox throwing 4 picks.

Yeah, I never understood why everyone hated Gibbs.

A good read on what Shannon could bring to the table: http://www.orlandose...108-column.html

Dang, he makes $400k...

RReally makes you wonder what we are missing about CRS....fairly inexpensive, great lineage, can recruit Miami.... Not seeing a downside here.

Kelly is an alum. If he wasn't, he never would have even considered it. Why would FSU's DC leave to come here and be Malzahn's DC when it isn't even guaranteed that Malzahn will be here a year from now?

I'm talking about people bringing up the guy at Boston College or Dava Aranda: coaches that have zero experience in the South and who obviously won't leave their schools to walk into the mess we're currently sitting in. Region matters in coaching. Notice how West Coast coaches don't randomly pop up in the SEC very often?

I do not understand your logic with these coaches not wanting to come, or not being able to coach in the SEC. If we offered either of these coaches a $1,000,000.00 guaranteed 3 year contract, they would be whistling Dixie all the way to Auburn. Either of these coaches would be a super get for Auburn. Money often makes a tough situation into one that has a world of potential and excitement. Jacobs needs to tell Gus to not worry about their salary in that he would approve pretty much whatever it takes to get one of these coaches to Auburn.

I like this guy, and if you read this you'll probably like him too:

http://www.gousfbull...TCLID=209813390

Thanks.....very interesting and sounds well qualified.

Not even close to either Dave Aranda or Don Brown. either of these 2 coaches would get us back to being a defensive team that no one wants to play.

Archived