Staff Changes

fredst

PM just tweeted something about a new candidate emerging but it's premium content so I didn't get to read it.

I'd bet it's one of the guys TT linked...PM is all over it :lmao:

Wouldn't necessarily be shocked.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what about ed orgeron? he was on the usc staff when they steam rolled us. and if this has been said already i apologize but i hate to keep going through pages of threads to find out what i need about one or two people.

I brought up Shannon but I don't know why David Gibbs was looked at negatively? The defense was stout with him, wasn't he the coordinator for the "Honk if You Sacked Brodie" game?

I brought up Shannon but I don't know why David Gibbs was looked at negatively? The defense was stout with him, wasn't he the coordinator for the "Honk if You Sacked Brodie" game?

David Gibbs has the same character as Jeremy Pruitt but far less coaching ability.

wde

David Gibbs has the same character as Jeremy Pruitt but far less coaching ability.

wde

Better or worse character (and coaching) compared to LT?

Ditka! Ditka! Ditka! I really think that Randy Shannon would be a sweet hire.

He's about the last person I can get excited about coaching and also being able to recruit against the guys we're about to have to recruit against

The answer to this all along has been for Gus to develop his own defensive strategy and not allow every DC he hires to have their own. All this does is create discontinuity with the defensive side of the ball. Gus still hasn't learned this and it could be his ultimate downfall, this could be a sign of an immature HC. Every good HC has a defensive approach and hires a DC to meet that approach not changes his approach to meet the hire. :dunno: :dunno:

Afraid I'm stumped. I think it's because of the backwards time barrier inherent in internet searches. We simply weren't electronically recording our everything back in '91. As DC at Hughes High, Coach started "leading cornerbacks and defensive linemen through drills" for HC Croomer (who left for another school the following year). Alas, Hughes High has since discontinued football and Coach Croomer has (earlier this year) passed. All I can find is that per Coach Malzahn '"...really, to be honest with you, I learned by making mistakes," Malzahn said, with a grin cracking his stern face. "I'm glad I moved to the offensive side after that."' Any locals amongst us with any knowledge of the Croomer/Malzahn defensive scheme? I admit defeat.

Sorry, ETA Sources:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/07/delta_force_auburn_coach_gus_m.html

http://www.obitsforlife.com/obituary/1038918/Coomer-Norman.php

Info on Steve Russ…Basic defense is an odd front...3-4. Lots of stunts and blitzes, high risk/high reward type of defense, but a good way to use an AF roster that has less size and speed than most opponents. It can result in big plays...sometimes,unfortunately, for both teams. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Tackling improved since he became sole DC. It helped that AF recently added veteran DL and LB coaches with experience at Texas and Penn St to the staff. Animated and fiery on the sidelines... players like him and the defense normally hits well and keeps grinding the whole game, even if things aren't going well. Recruiting is a different task at a Service Academy. You're "selling" a different product; the education and follow on job opportunities, not a chance to be an NFL player. The coaches recruit nationally, but for AF to get even a 3 star is rare. They often recruit guys that don't get attention from many FBS schools and the chance for them to play at the FBS (vice FCS) level helps in signing players. Visualizing that a small, fast HS QB nobody wants would be a good CB or a TE who's a step slow with good size can grow into a good OL or DL is a common task for the AF staff. I can't predict how this would translate to coaching/recruiting in the SEC and scheming with its more talented rosters. All in all...great guy and I'd hate to see my Falcons lose him.

This is the guy I read about theother day and was impressed, he improved their D dramatically. Would be a great hire and would stick around for a few years. IMO

wde

Better or worse character (and coaching) compared to LT?

Gibbs? Worse character (Gibbs). Coaching as compared to LT. I would give LT a shot.

wde

The answer to this all along has been for Gus to develop his own defensive strategy and not allow every DC he hires to have their own. All this does is create discontinuity with the defensive side of the ball. Gus still hasn't learned this and it could be his ultimate downfall, this could be a sign of an immature HC. Every good HC has a defensive approach and hires a DC to meet that approach not changes his approach to meet the hire. :dunno: :dunno:

Well, I think that's what he's trying to do here. He's decided he likes the scheme that Saban/Kelly/Pruitt/Muschamp run and wants to hire someone that runs something similar.

Did I miss something? Has Don Brown been mentioned? I started a new thread that sent me back to this thread. Not sure what is out there.

Why don't we be the first team in college football that is officially doing away with defense. We will only field a team that is going to play offense and only offense. We go on the field any play offense until we either score or have to punt. We just do not send any player on the field when it is time for defense. This would cure all of our problems!

PM just tweeted something about a new candidate emerging but it's premium content so I didn't get to read it.

I'd bet it's one of the guys TT linked...PM is all over it :lmao:/>

South Florida DC

I'd bet it's one of the guys TT linked...PM is all over it :lmao:/>

South Florida DC

Please no....

I believe Gibbs was the DC when we sacked Brodie 11 times in the Iron Bowl. That was one heck of game for our defense.

Actually I think he was the guy who left and never said goodbye to anyone at AU. My memory (poor as it is) of the situation is that he was the source of conflict a good part of the season and most people were happy to see him go. Some other old timers may remember differently but no reason that I know to invite him back.

Archived