Staff Changes

fredst

Who does GUS want? That is all that matters.

This... Does anyone in the know have any idea who he's looking at now?

We've discussed who we as fans want or think he should hire but I want to know who is he looking at now since CK is off the table

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The answer to this all along has been for Gus to develop his own defensive strategy and not allow every DC he hires to have their own. All this does is create discontinuity with the defensive side of the ball. Gus still hasn't learned this and it could be his ultimate downfall, this could be a sign of an immature HC. Every good HC has a defensive approach and hires a DC to meet that approach not changes his approach to meet the hire. :dunno:/> :dunno:/>

I would prefer that Gus concentrate on getting his offense productive and scoring 30+ points per game. We are 11-1 and in the playoffs if our offense scores 30 points per game. Defensive coordinators typically don't like to be told what type of defense they are going to run. They want to run their defense.

I understand your point and i agree when it comes to the elite defensive coaches, however, i am just comparing the approach i outlined between several other coaches and coming to the conclusion that a team maintains consistency when a coach is decisive about the systems he wants to run and not allow constant changing on one side of the ball or the other. i know there are many factors involved in this type of discussion, i feel a coach is more successful when he is consistent and decisive about these kinds of decisions. JMHO.

We've discussed who we as fans want or think he should hire but I want to know who is he looking at now since CK is off the table

before darkfall tomorrow he will announce a hire no one has considered on here.

Mike Ditka, DC Auburn University

I imagine that if no one is hired by Sunday night then Gus will be taking his time with this and we shouldn't expect an announcement soon. If i'm understanding this, the choices seem hire who we can right now before dead period or hold on and try to get the best we can, possibly at the expense of recruiting. I prefer the later.

The answer to this all along has been for Gus to develop his own defensive strategy and not allow every DC he hires to have their own. All this does is create discontinuity with the defensive side of the ball. Gus still hasn't learned this and it could be his ultimate downfall, this could be a sign of an immature HC. Every good HC has a defensive approach and hires a DC to meet that approach not changes his approach to meet the hire. :dunno:/> :dunno:/>

I would prefer that Gus concentrate on getting his offense productive and scoring 30+ points per game. We are 11-1 and in the playoffs if our offense scores 30 points per game. Defensive coordinators typically don't like to be told what type of defense they are going to run. They want to run their defense.

I understand your point and i agree when it comes to the elite defensive coaches, however, i am just comparing the approach i outlined between several other coaches and coming to the conclusion that a team maintains consistency when a coach is decisive about the systems he wants to run and not allow constant changing on one side of the ball or the other. i know there are many factors involved in this type of discussion, i feel a coach is more successful when he is consistent and decisive about these kinds of decisions. JMHO.

I think that Gus has essentially decided that he likes what Muschamp did and wants to continue with that basic philosophy. Kelly runs a very similar defense and so do several other of the rumored candidates. I guess we'll see when the announcement is made.

Consistent winning programs don't get that way....consistent.....by changing schemes every couple years. As for DC's wanting to run their own defenses....that's like saying that our next OC will run his offense....not Gus's. I think we've had more than enough of DCs trying to install "their" offense with some previous DC's players.

Do you think Gus will name a new defensive coordinator be Christmas?

I doubt he will find one with the last name Christmas

lloyd-christmas-pictures-omdf1l4l.jpg

Wouldnt happen I hear he's a prima donna. He would use us as leverage to live lavishly and pay off all his IOU's.

SIAP. Haven't read all 60 pages of this thread, but a couple of names that have been mentioned by admins of some of the other sites:

Tyson Summers, defensive coordinator - Colorado St.

Tom Allen, defensive coordinator - Univ. of South Florida

Thanks Titan. Like them both. I think I'd prefer Tom Allen between the two but would be happy with either

To be perfectly honest, Randy Shannon was the DC I wanted before Muschamp, actually instead of Muschamp, I think he would do wonders for our defense. IMHO

Randy shannon. Yeah. Let's go waste another week and get another dc a big raise.

Agree...probably any time you go after a fairly well known and successful coordinator level coach at a major program you will get into a bidding war if they want to keep him. and odds probably are that he will stay where he is.....or you end up paying too much.

Someone, somewhere should have a list of up and comers who would consider AU as an opportunity, not a career risk. I do worry that Gus might be more interested in finding someone who the AU fans will be happy with rather than finding a coach who will be able to run the defense GUs wants to run and fit in with the rest of the staff.

Anytime that you go after a proven assistant coach you will riskiest ting into a bidding war and being turned down. However, when you hire an up and coming coach you are taking a risk on his limited experience. If you don't recruit the best, you'll never get the best. While I'm not opposed to hiring a coach on the rise, I feel that our best chance of avoiding another reset is to go after a proven commodity.

Just wondering ....what has hiring the "best" gotten us. Rhodes, Roof, Johnson, Van Gorder, Muschamp...have I gotten them all? IMO what we have gotten is total confusion on defense as players have to learn a new system every year or two. I'm on board with Timeslider.....we can't just reinvent the defense every year or two. More often than not, the new coach finds that he does not have the " right type of players" for HIS defense .

Maybe I'm dreaming but I hope that we recruit players for AUBURN' s defense...not Kelly's or Muschamp's.....or whoever is the next proven commodity we hire.

I never suggested that we change the defense. At Malzahn's initial press conference he stated that HIS defense is a 4-2-5. How'd that work out? I'm still a huge Gus fan, but at this point I'm not certain that he knows what his offensive or defensive identity is. If he knew, I doubt we'd be in this mess in the first place. He's had 2 different defensive coordinators run 2 different defensive sets and he's tried dual threat and drop back passers at QB. He's in his 3rd year and making freshman mistakes.

My statement on recruiting is in the context of hiring staff members and not recruitment of players. If my job is on the line and my family's well being is at stake, I'm going with a known and proven commodity every time if one's available.

I'd love to hear your solution.

Chris klienman at North Dakota State was the defensive coordinator for their 3 straight National Titles and is now their head coach. (And playing in the quarterfinals for another title today) If we are looking for a wild card that is willing to take a shot at making a name for himself, even with a possible one and done. The money would not be a huge issue for us, he makes peanuts.

To be perfectly honest, Randy Shannon was the DC I wanted before Muschamp, actually instead of Muschamp, I think he would do wonders for our defense. IMHO

Randy Shannon should be the next DC on Gus' list. Great recruiter and solid DC.

Randy Shannon should be the next DC on Gus' list. Great recruiter and solid DC.

Agreed 100%.

Does anyone know the possibility/likelihood based upon his current situation and aspirations? If so, would you mind elaborating?

Chris klienman at North Dakota State was the defensive coordinator for their 3 straight National Titles and is now their head coach. (And playing in the quarterfinals for another title today) If we are looking for a wild card that is willing to take a shot at making a name for himself, even with a possible one and done. The money would not be a huge issue for us, he makes peanuts.

They're playing some good ball today. I would be okay bringing in a proven coordinator from the FCS ranks.

SIAP. Haven't read all 60 pages of this thread, but a couple of names that have been mentioned by admins of some of the other sites:

Tyson Summers, defensive coordinator - Colorado St.

Tom Allen, defensive coordinator - Univ. of South Florida

Summers looks good. Sign him up!

Mike Ditka, DC Auburn University

Been saying this for 3 years! Hurricane Ditka!!!

Archived