Staff Changes

fredst

Just looked over Randy Shannon's history... Why isn't he a serious candidate? He's had huge success. If he coached on a defense in any capacity it has been highly successful.

He's a co coordinator and makes 400k...

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curtis is an interesting prospect. DC who also coaches the secondary. It should also be noted that Dell McGee is also a coach there. He could bring Dell as CB coach and be his mentor. Just don't know his defense type.

Just looked over Randy Shannon's history... Why isn't he a serious candidate? He's had huge success. If he coached on a defense in any capacity it has been highly successful.

A few years back he was a big name before we hired Coach Ellis. Then he went to Tulsa, Arky, then Florida. The man can coach, can recruit, ran a fairly clean program at the U..... I'd be happy if he came on board.

Wouldn't surprise me if he turned us down anyway. He's been bouncing around a lot in recent years and UF looks far more stable than us at the current moment. Had the NCAA not suspended their QB, they would have been in a lot better position at the end of the season.

He's not making much currently(relatively speaking), so I would be wary of another leverage deal to get a raise if it start to come out that we were in talks.

A few years back he was a big name before we hired Coach Ellis. Then he went to Tulsa, Arky, then Florida. The man can coach, can recruit, ran a fairly clean program at the U..... I'd be happy if he came on board.

This is how his defenses have done. Pretty darn good.

As a DC at Miami

2001 - 6th

2002 - 7th

2003 - 2nd

2004 - 28th

2005 - 4th

2006 - 7th

Position coach

2012 - 2nd (TCU)

2013-2014 was at Arky (they were shutting everyone down in the 2nd half of the 2014 season)

Co coordinator

2015 - 6th (Florida)

This is how his defenses have done. Pretty darn good.

As a DC at Miami

2001 - 6th

2002 - 7th

2003 - 2nd

2004 - 28th

2005 - 4th

2006 - 7th

Position coach

2012 - 2nd (TCU)

2013-2014 was at Arky (they were shutting everyone down in the 2nd half of the 2014 season)

Co coordinator

2015 - 6th (Florida)

Seems like a great pedigree, and (at least on wikipedia) it's reported that he was not tainted by the booster scandal at Miami...

Hiring Shannon has the added benefit of hurting UF.

Which is always a slight plus. But mainly, he knows the south, he knows Florida, with trob gone, he knows Miami, the man can coach. I was a fan of this rumored hire years ago and I'd be a fan of it now.

Randy Shannon is the guy that I have been hoping for all along. I hope someone has whispered his name in Malzahn's ear. I think he would do a better job than Kelley, Pruitt, or any of the others that have been mentioned. Couple that with his recruiting and ties to Florida high schools. I think this is a no brainer. Please get it done.

Anybody we get is going to get a big raise.....that's just the way we roll at AU. Shannon, I think is only making around 400 or 500k as a position coach. Would pay him 1 million to be our DC. That is 600k less than we were paying Muschamp. Don't think the results on the field would be much different between the two either. Could use that extra 600k to spread among position coaches on defense. Thompson could be co-DC and get a raise to boot. Don't like any of the other options I am hearing. Like I said, if not Shannon, I would be ok with Thompson as DC and call it a day.

Randy shannon. Yeah. Let's go waste another week and get another dc a big raise.

Then what do you suggest?

I could be wrong. Read just a little on him and how he was offered DC positions but waited for one that was right. Don't think he is one that would jump for jj/gus' carrot either. A rising position coach with a great rep, a rising dc at a smaller school perhaps, or throw crazy muschamp money at someone again if they're good enough. It's not my money after all :)

Do you think Gus will name a new defensive coordinator be Christmas?

I doubt he will find one with the last name Christmas

lloyd-christmas-pictures-omdf1l4l.jpg

Lol. I knew I remembered the last name from somewhere.

Randy shannon. Yeah. Let's go waste another week and get another dc a big raise.

Then what do you suggest?

take a poll* ?

a ) Mikey

b ) Cole

c ) Golf

(^And two of the thre don't count)

Agree...probably any time you go after a fairly well known and successful coordinator level coach at a major program you will get into a bidding war if they want to keep him. and odds probably are that he will stay where he is.....or you end up paying too much.

Someone, somewhere should have a list of up and comers who would consider AU as an opportunity, not a career risk. I do worry that Gus might be more interested in finding someone who the AU fans will be happy with rather than finding a coach who will be able to run the defense GUs wants to run and fit in with the rest of the staff.

The answer to this all along has been for Gus to develop his own defensive strategy and not allow every DC he hires to have their own. All this does is create discontinuity with the defensive side of the ball. Gus still hasn't learned this and it could be his ultimate downfall, this could be a sign of an immature HC. Every good HC has a defensive approach and hires a DC to meet that approach not changes his approach to meet the hire. :dunno: :dunno:

Agree...probably any time you go after a fairly well known and successful coordinator level coach at a major program you will get into a bidding war if they want to keep him. and odds probably are that he will stay where he is.....or you end up paying too much.

Someone, somewhere should have a list of up and comers who would consider AU as an opportunity, not a career risk. I do worry that Gus might be more interested in finding someone who the AU fans will be happy with rather than finding a coach who will be able to run the defense GUs wants to run and fit in with the rest of the staff.

Anytime that you go after a proven assistant coach you will risk getting into a bidding war and being turned down. However, when you hire an up and coming coach you are taking a risk on his limited experience. If you don't recruit the best, you'll never get the best. While I'm not opposed to hiring a coach on the rise, I feel that our best chance of avoiding another reset is to go after a proven commodity.

Anytime that you go after a proven assistant coach you will riskiest ting into a bidding war and being turned down. However, when you hire an up and coming coach you are taking a risk on his limited experience. If you don't recruit the best, you'll never get the best. While I'm not opposed to hiring a coach on the rise, I feel that our best chance of avoiding another reset is to go after a proven commodity.

Just wondering ....what has hiring the "best" gotten us. Rhodes, Roof, Johnson, Van Gorder, Muschamp...have I gotten them all? IMO what we have gotten is total confusion on defense as players have to learn a new system every year or two. I'm on board with Timeslider.....we can't just reinvent the defense every year or two. More often than not, the new coach finds that he does not have the " right type of players" for HIS defense .

Maybe I'm dreaming but I hope that we recruit players for AUBURN' s defense...not Kelly's or Muschamp's.....or whoever is the next proven commodity we hire.

The answer to this all along has been for Gus to develop his own defensive strategy and not allow every DC he hires to have their own. All this does is create discontinuity with the defensive side of the ball. Gus still hasn't learned this and it could be his ultimate downfall, this could be a sign of an immature HC. Every good HC has a defensive approach and hires a DC to meet that approach not changes his approach to meet the hire. :dunno:/> :dunno:/>

I would prefer that Gus concentrate on getting his offense productive and scoring 30+ points per game. We are 11-1 and in the playoffs if our offense scores 30 points per game. Defensive coordinators typically don't like to be told what type of defense they are going to run. They want to run their defense.

Who does GUS want? That is all that matters.

Archived