Staff Changes

fredst

Steele was the worse hire that Miles could ever make.

I don't disagree. Chavis is not one to move around a lot, so it was surprising that he left. Kind of makes you wonder if he saw what was coming this year with Miles almost being fired.

BTW Chavis, while not Auburn ties, has ties to Alabama (the state). He used to coach at Alabama A&M. And as I understand it, Sumlin's seat may be hotter than Gus's

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mel Tucker is about 150 miles to the northwest. DC experience in the League and currently a position coach passed up for the UAT DC position.

I've been having this same thought. It would also bring with it the added bonus of pulling a coach from a position of critical need at bammur.

If Saban was giving serious thought to making Tucker the DC at spuat should Pruitt not be available, then heck yes, we need to hire him tomorrow. Saban's assistant hires have been damn good. If Tucker was even second in line for DC behind Pruitt, we should jump on that.

wde

Shoop came from William and Mary to join Franklin at Vanderbilt. I agree with the sentiment of most on here that it is far less important to win the press conference than to get a solid coach. The "big name DC's" haven't cornered the market on great defenses

If a coach can establish a rapport with the recruits and their families it doesn't matter what his name is or isn't. The recruits we are after now will give the new guy a chance to win them over. It's up to him to do it.

I don't disagree. Chavis is not one to move around a lot, so it was surprising that he left. Kind of makes you wonder if he saw what was coming this year with Miles almost being fired.

BTW Chavis, while not Auburn ties, has ties to Alabama (the state). He used to coach at Alabama A&M. And as I understand it, Sumlin's seat may be hotter than Gus's

He got a big raise from A&M. LSU wouldn't match it so he left.

Tucker lost his job with Chicago when HC Marc Trestman and staff were fired at the end of 2014. NFL DC record looked pretty good with Cleveland and Jacksonville, but the 2 years with Chicago were bad. Don't keep up with the NFL enough to know the reasons behind the poor performance in Chicago. Before he went to the pros, most of his career was in the Big 10 (one year at LSU with Saban) as a defensive backs coach with 1 year as co-DC at tOSU.

Chicago made a lot of bad personnel decisions.

Maybe he said as much, and if he did then I'll concede that point, but I don't think that you stay at one place for 18 years and then 5 at the next place and all the sudden realize that you are under appreciated salary wise. I'm not suggesting that we would have a shot at getting him to come here. I brought his name up in response to a previous comment and added, in an aside, that he could have security issues of his own with his current employer

Sever years back there was a lot of talk about Randy Shannon. What is the opinions of him now?

IMO Shannon would be a great hire!

Overall, I'm in favor of trying to keep something close to Muschamp's system. We've been back and forth on Thompson, so let's skip that argument for the moment.

Does anyone know of other reasonable candidates that could come in and provide a fairly seamless transition at DC?

Muschamp's system, I would imagine is related to Saban's system. I think Muschamp has shown a propensity to alter it a bit though. (like some of the DL alignments this year). But, with the exception of the Arkansas game and the Alabama game, any DC will have to play with 5 DB's most of the time, and that's almost always done with an even front just so you are not gashed with the run.

But Thompson is surely familiar with those two systems. Other than that, unless you are going to go to a dedicated 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 then you will see a lot of the same stuff. Many DC's are pattern matching for example.

Maybe he said as much, and if he did then I'll concede that point, but I don't think that you stay at one place for 18 years and then 5 at the next place and all the sudden realize that you are under appreciated salary wise. I'm not suggesting that we would have a shot at getting him to come here. I brought his name up in response to a previous comment and added, in an aside, that he could have security issues of his own with his current employer

He's a heck of a coordinator to be,sure. I forget how much he was making at LSU. I just remember that A&M offered a substantial raise over what he was getting and LSU, for whatever reason, wouldn't match it. If I were in that situation, I'd leave too. I'd be tickled if Auburn were to land him but I don't think he's even on the radar.

And now I go back to just lurking.

I deleted the content. You can edit and put in another image if you wish.

Jim Leavitt,he is currently the DC at Colorado.

I like him along with Don Brown and Bob Shoop. Don Brown probably won't leave the northeast and Bob Shoop has already shown to be pretty loyal to James Franklin.

What about Jack Curtis from Georgia Southern? Looks like a solid coach who has put kids in the NFL.

He would be worth having a conversation with. Not a bad choice, IMO.

I don't understand why there is not more interest here?

What about Jack Curtis from Georgia Southern? Looks like a solid coach who has put kids in the NFL.

He would be worth having a conversation with. Not a bad choice, IMO.

I don't understand why there is not more interest here?

He may wind up getting the head gig there. I think his boss just took the Tulane job.

Archived