Staff Changes

fredst

I suspect any "big name" DC is going to want a 2 - 3 year guarantee at a salary of +/- $1 M considering the lack of perceived stability of our program. I am not in favor of throwing big money at a problem and then run the risk of having to pay off the remaining term of the contract if there are big changes next year. Seems we have seen that sort of thing a lot in recent history. Someone earlier (this thread I think) mentioned someone like Steve Russ the DC at Air Force Academy. He appears to have vastly improved their defense. Prior experience at Wake Forest, Ohio, and Syracuse. Air Force Gradate, military service, played pro a few years. Salary about $235,000. You might be able to make a 3 year contract offer without breaking the bank so to speak and get a good coach. I know there would be howling about not coaching or recruiting in the SEC (likely do not recruit at the academy) but someone like this may be a "diamond in the rough" and be under valued in his current job. Just a thought.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Info on Steve Russ…Basic defense is an odd front...3-4. Lots of stunts and blitzes, high risk/high reward type of defense, but a good way to use an AF roster that has less size and speed than most opponents. It can result in big plays...sometimes,unfortunately, for both teams. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Tackling improved since he became sole DC. It helped that AF recently added veteran DL and LB coaches with experience at Texas and Penn St to the staff. Animated and fiery on the sidelines... players like him and the defense normally hits well and keeps grinding the whole game, even if things aren't going well. Recruiting is a different task at a Service Academy. You're "selling" a different product; the education and follow on job opportunities, not a chance to be an NFL player. The coaches recruit nationally, but for AF to get even a 3 star is rare. They often recruit guys that don't get attention from many FBS schools and the chance for them to play at the FBS (vice FCS) level helps in signing players. Visualizing that a small, fast HS QB nobody wants would be a good CB or a TE who's a step slow with good size can grow into a good OL or DL is a common task for the AF staff. I can't predict how this would translate to coaching/recruiting in the SEC and scheming with its more talented rosters. All in all...great guy and I'd hate to see my Falcons lose him.

Just saw where Gus said he wanted to have a DC by Monday. Think maybe some one needs to let him know its Friday?, and the dead period starts next week. Needs to pull the damn trigger pretty soon.

I read that if Muschamp leaves SC after 1 year, he would owe SC 7 million. Also, there was something about if Muschamp left after just 3 years, he'd owe SC 4 million. Did Will have to pay Auburn anything for jumping ship after only 1 year?

I read that if Muschamp leaves SC after 1 year, he would owe SC 7 million. Also, there was something about if Muschamp left after just 3 years, he'd owe SC 4 million. Did Will have to pay Auburn anything for jumping ship after only 1 year?

No.

I didn't think so. It's funny how we keep paying coaches big money as they start out the door. Seems like South Carolina has a lot of smart people who came up with that contract.

It was a one year contract that expired at the end of the regular season. So no.

Really???

Didn't LSU throw a bunch of money at Shoop last year only to end up with Steele? I don't know how likely we are to pull someone like him...he's in a pretty good spot at Penn State.

Our fan aspirations seem very lofty :)

Mel Tucker would be one to look at. He's done a great job with Bama's DBs and he's well respected. One of my Bama friends said he wants to go back to the NFL, that he doesn't care much for college. Who knows, I would give him a call.

Didn't LSU throw a bunch of money at Shoop last year only to end up with Steele? I don't know how likely we are to pull someone like him...he's in a pretty good spot at Penn State.

Mel Tucker would be one to look at. He's done a great job with Bama's DBs and he's well respected. One of my Bama friends said he wants to go back to the NFL, that he doesn't care much for college. Who knows, I would give him a call.

the way pacman jacobs throws money around, why not "make it rain" on mel tucker...he is a very good football coach

I imagine it would be a difficult transition from NFL DC where you had proven commodities that could be full of themselves, to the college game where you have high school kids that may or may not ever play a down wanting you to woo them to your school.

Its also somewhat interesting that you would go from NFL DC to college position coach. Wonder if there was some burn out there or something

Tucker lost his job with Chicago when HC Marc Trestman and staff were fired at the end of 2014. NFL DC record looked pretty good with Cleveland and Jacksonville, but the 2 years with Chicago were bad. Don't keep up with the NFL enough to know the reasons behind the poor performance in Chicago. Before he went to the pros, most of his career was in the Big 10 (one year at LSU with Saban) as a defensive backs coach with 1 year as co-DC at tOSU.

Mel Tucker is about 150 miles to the northwest. DC experience in the League and currently a position coach passed up for the UAT DC position.

I've been having this same thought. It would also bring with it the added bonus of pulling a coach from a position of critical need at bammur.

Archived