Staff Changes

fredst

If Thompson doesn't become DC will he pack up and leave as well?

I think if you're anyone on defense not named Rodney Garner, you stand a good of looking for work if things go sour by this time next year.

If it goes sour next year, Everyone, Garner included, will be looking for work.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Herb Hand a good recruiter?

As in the guy who coaches OL at Penn State? No idea about recruiting, but PSU's OL was absolutely abysmal this past season.

Yeah I know PSU was not in good shape this year, but I keep seeing his name mentioned on this site. To replace Grimes or even the guy Gus was apparently after when he was initially assembling a staff. I don't know much about him.

Would Pruitt be a quick fix that would bolt at the 1st opportunity?

Probably, that's why I am not a fan of the Pruitt hire. We will find ourselves back in the same situation again some time in the next couple of years if we hire him.

I'll say this: UGA fans are pretty pissed to be losing him.

Agree. I understand going for the high profile DCs but beyond Kelly i don't see any other big names we could get. Why would a Power 5 DC take that risk to be attached to Gus who could possibly be fired next year? I understand LT hasn't been a DC in 10 years but he's a heck of a recruiter and recruits seem to really respect him. I think it's vital that we hold on to this recruiting class...esp. the defensive players and by keeping Thompson i think we can do that. Either Kelly or LT can likely hold this class together as much as possible. I wouldn't mind Pruitt but as many have stated it we could be right back in the same situation next year b/c it's no secret he wants a HC job as well. I want some sort of stability as long as Gus is here and i feel like LT could provided that even with being our 3rd or 4th option.

As in the guy who coaches OL at Penn State? No idea about recruiting, but PSU's OL was absolutely abysmal this past season.

Yeah I know PSU was not in good shape this year, but I keep seeing his name mentioned on this site. To replace Grimes or even the guy Gus was apparently after when he was initially assembling a staff. I don't know much about him.

He coached with Gus at Tulsa and was Gus' first choice at OL in 2012. Could be an option.

I believe he and Gus had a solid working relationship back in his Tulsa days when Herb was his Co-OC.

Would Pruitt be a quick fix that would bolt at the 1st opportunity?

Probably, that's why I am not a fan of the Pruitt hire. We will find ourselves back in the same situation again some time in the next couple of years if we hire him.

I'll say this: UGA fans are pretty pissed to be losing him.

Agree. I understand going for the high profile DCs but beyond Kelly i don't see any other big names we could get. Why would a Power 5 DC take that risk to be attached to Gus who could possibly be fired next year? I understand LT hasn't been a DC in 10 years but he's a heck of a recruiter and recruits seem to really respect him. I think it's vital that we hold on to this recruiting class...esp. the defensive players and by keeping Thompson i think we can do that. Either Kelly or LT can likely hold this class together as much as possible. I wouldn't mind Pruitt but as many have stated it we could be right back in the same situation next year b/c it's no secret he wants a HC job as well. I want some sort of stability as long as Gus is here and i feel like LT could provided that even with being our 3rd or 4th option.

Just wondering about the validity of this "Gus, who could be fired next year".....and the effect on hiring staff....and recruiting top players. For AU people to keep raising this issue and hyping the potential for such actions...makes no sense to me.

I won't comment on motives but will just say that anyone wanting to sabotage the AU athletic program could not find a better method than to continually be raising doubts about Gus's future status at AU.

Just wondering about the validity of this "Gus, who could be fired next year".....and the effect on hiring staff....and recruiting top players. For AU people to keep raising this issue and hyping the potential for such actions...makes no sense to me.

I won't comment on motives but will just say that anyone wanting to sabotage the AU athletic program could not find a better method than to continually be raising doubts about Gus's future status at AU.

Some people want Gus gone, now, so they are quick to put him on the hot seat. I see this year as a fluke and Gus will come charging back next year.

No one in any position of power has said anything negative about Gus's standing in the program.

gus kinda attributed his running offense in '13 due to his two years as co-oc with herb. That is how i read it anyway.

AAS has learned that Auburn OC Rhett Lashlee will be meeting with Texas Head Football Charlie Strong this afternoon. Stay tuned for more.

Got this off Twitter.. Tried to copy the link but I guess it didn't work.

Best news we've had in weeks.

Thompson spent three seasons as DC at UCF (2004-2006).

Had no idea! Thanks much. I'll have to research that, but any insight into whether or not he was any good at it is appreciated.

UCF was quite crappy those years: 2004=0-11; 2005=8-5; 2006=4-8.

2/3 star players. Not surprised.

If Grimes takes a break, look for Herb Hand to come in.

Why? Did you watch that PSU oline this year?

See several messages up... Prior relationship with Gus.

Grimes looking to take a break due to cancer.

where is this coming from? I haven't seen anyone else say anything.

good point. I just assumed it was true.

According to this article, he's cancer free and wants to stay at Auburn as long as he can...

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/10/auburns_jb_grimes_is_home_agai.html

According to this article, he's cancer free and wants to stay at Auburn as long as he can...

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/10/auburns_jb_grimes_is_home_agai.html

i don't know who ClaytonAU is, and I apologize if you somehow do have inside information, but this is the 2nd post he's made that I've seen declaring something as fact that isn't confirmed yet.

Some people want Gus gone, now, so they are quick to put him on the hot seat. I see this year as a fluke and Gus will come charging back next year.

No one in any position of power has said anything negative about Gus's standing in the program.

I don't want Gus gone. I hope he is able to fix things quickly. However, i'm just looking at it from the standpoint of if i was in that situation in my career. If i know their is some "smoke" there i'm not going to leave my stable good job i have now and risk going to another company where i could be without a job in a year. Some people have the luxury of taking that risk but i have a wife and 3 kids to provide for so why take the risk.

If we have a repeat of this year next year i don't see how Gus's seat is not hot. I personally think he will get at least 2 years b/c of what he's already done at AU and considering who our AD is but I wouldn't be willing to take that risk unless i'm a young and up and coming DC coach who's looking to make a mark in big time CFB. We shall see but i def. can see why Kelly would tell us thanks but no thanks. I hope we are able to get Kelly or Pruitt but i wouldn't be one bit surprised if we end up with Lance b/c of the situation AU is currently in. If it was a given Gus would be here 3+ years from now i could see us getting the big hire. It's not about if AU is a great place to be...it's just about the current situation in my opinion.

AAS has learned that Auburn OC Rhett Lashlee will be meeting with Texas Head Football Charlie Strong this afternoon. Stay tuned for more.

Got this off Twitter.. Tried to copy the link but I guess it didn't work.

Best news we've had in weeks.

:big:

Does anyone in any position of power have to publically say that CGM is on the hot seat after hauling in the #90 ranked Defense and the #96 ranked Offense only 2 yrs removed from winning the SEC and competing for a NC? Damn, some things are just a given.

The performance of this team has declined for the past 13 months to unacceptable levels. The Administration should be tightening the screws on Gus.

We are AUBURN - - - the Mississippi schools should not pass by Auburn - - - Auburn should not be in the damn Birmingham Bowl in Legion Field at 11:00 am on a damn Wednesday. :banghead:

Yeah....but we are, and it is what it is. Gotta get out of this funk....

635679105394082746849277809_NewAthleticGreatargus.gif

Archived