Staff Changes

fredst

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim Schwatrz is available. He's coached in college but it's been a while. Cut his teeth in the NFL as a scout and LB coach. Nine years as a DC, mostly in Nashville.

WDE!

tumblr_ms6lpd1YdO1s852lfo1_r1_500.gif

Anybody listen to Rob Pate and Jack Crowe today? Coach Oliver was on.

I'm surprised his name has not been thrown into the speculation ring.

I'm sure there are certain members of the big $ boosters who would love to have him in there... just like they'd love to have Dye as head coach again.

Bill Oliver? Good Lord, he's older than dirt.

We don't need any old coot having to grab a nap on the office sofa every afternoon.

True...surprised he is still around and lucid...he's was a coach at AU when I was in grad school.....and I'm older than dirt too.

Topsoil my good man. Topsoil.

EMT, I've really been enjoying your content this week.

It's rare air....enjoy while you can. :)

Shoop would be an awesome hire. I wonder again, like Kelly, how plausible it is to get him, but what a great surprise it would be!

Shoop would be an awesome hire. I wonder again, like Kelly, how plausible it is to get him, but what a great surprise it would be!

Yeah, especially since he is making $1,000,000 already at Penn State (his home state of Pa. keep in mind).

With all the candidates "fading out" makes you wonder if we will just promote Lance Thompson in the end.

I'm beginning to think you're right. And I think LT knows it too and is being patient...

How would Thompson do as the DC? What is the general consensus?

He would recruit well. He's charismatic and kids like him- recruits and current players. He would possibly be able to assemble a good staff. He's been around the area forever and has relationships and ties all over the Southeast. He's spent a lot of time working for some of the best defensive minds in the business. There's a good chance he would stick around awhile- word is he really wants to remain at Auburn- provided he's a capable coordinator. That last part is the big question mark.

I honestly have no idea how much game day acumen is actually required for a DC. Maybe the other qualities are enough.

He would recruit well. He's charismatic and kids like him- recruits and current players. He would possibly be able to assemble a good staff. He's been around the area forever and has relationships and ties all over the Southeast. He's spent a lot of time working for some of the best defensive minds in the business. There's a good chance he would stick around awhile- word is he really wants to remain at Auburn- provided he's a capable coordinator. That last part is the big question mark.

I honestly have no idea how much game day acumen is actually required for a DC. Maybe the other qualities are enough.

And he adds some stability.IMO we could do worse.

Absolutely. One of the most important aspects.

I would be more than ok if Thompson or Garner became DC.

I like RG, but do not think he would be a good DC. I was hoping that Gus would make RG recruiting coordinator and assistant OL coach.

Make DC co-OC with Rhett.

Make LT DC and let him put together good staff behind him. Give LT a $150,000 pay raise or to around $500,000. This would leave a lot of $$$ for assembling the staff he wants. I think this would make a good staff.

That sums it up well. We may yet be surprised but, with the perception of Gus's situation, it will probably be hard to get a top DC. Thompson will run the same system which is good for the players and he will also want to do a very good job. It would be up to the DC of course but maybe we end up with something like this ?

DC- Thompson, from LBs

LBs- Williams, from off field

DL- Garner, stays the same

S/CBs- TBD by Thompson

Anybody listen to Rob Pate and Jack Crowe today? Coach Oliver was on.

I'm surprised his name has not been thrown into the speculation ring.

I'm sure there are certain members of the big $ boosters who would love to have him in there... just like they'd love to have Dye as head coach again.

Bill Oliver? Good Lord, he's older than dirt.

We don't need any old coot having to grab a nap on the office sofa every afternoon.

LOL. He's not a candidate so don't worry about it. The radio people probably wanted to get his take on being the DC at Auburn.

That was it, they were asking about coaching at Auburn. He said it was one of the top jobs in the country and there wouldn't be a shortage of well qualified candidates that would be interested in it. He also said he felt like he could still coach but he had rather look at the lake in the mornings when he got up.

What about Bud Foster? Why has he not been contacted?

Announced he was staying at VT after Fuente was hired.

wde

Well, he makes $1,000,000/yr at his home state school, has his defense ranked in the nations top 15 right now, he's been working for James Franklin for a while and Franklin's future looks pretty secure, he said PSU was his dream job when he was hire there. Not very plausible that Auburn get him IMO.

And is there any chatter regarding Kelly at FSU, which would be my top choice, asd he played for Auburn under Pat Dye.

Archived