Staff Changes

fredst

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree to disagree. I saw different from KF. Unless it was Vandy or Kentucky KF couldn't cut it at any SEC and not many D1. There was a reason he ended up at Ouachita Baptist and didn't even dominate at that level. But moving on...hopefully we have more bodies at QB and options so there is a backup plan if needed.

Just to expand on KF's senior year playing at Ouachita Baptist...he led them to a Conference Championship and the D II playoffs. They lost in the first round. KF was 2nd team all conference. I was glad to see him finish his college career with a good season.

I don't buy the scared of contact stuff. Whenever a qb isn't good that's what people say. There's no way you're a dual threat qb and scared of contact. KF had to play in a suck system but also the o line was horrible. You're not going to see too many qb's that can be successful under the circumstances he was under

I don't think he was particularly scared of contact, but he did say in an interview he preferred not to run.

Pretty much what athletic qb's are supposed to say because the knock on them is they don't let plays develop they would take off running. Especially the ones that have NFL dreams. I remember cam saying something similar

Agreed.

Alright everyone, I know you've all been waiting for it, so here it is:

====== AUENGINEER2016'S DEFENSIVE COACHING PLAN OF AWESOMENESS =====

Needs (in order of importance):

1. Defensive Coordinator

2. Defensive Line Coach

3. Defensive Backs Coach

4. Inside Line Backers Coach

5. Outside Line Backers Coach

Plan of action:

1. Hire Charles Kelly away from FSU. Runs a similar 3-4 scheme with a Buck, which would at least keep some consistency.

2. Hire the recently unemployed Craig Kuligowsk, formerly of Mizzou. Did some great things there.

3a. Either hire the recently unemployed Keith Heyward, formerly of USCw. Very much a man-to-man focused DBs coach.

3b. ... or hire the successful Charlton Warren of UNC. Proven DBs coach.

4. Retain Lance Thompson, moving him to ILBs.

5. Retain Rodney Gardner, moving him to OLBs and Bucks

This plan works because:

Kelly is an Auburn Alum

Kelly runs a similar scheme, which minimizes the changes (still will probably be changes in the calls, but at least the schematic concepts are similar).

Kelly has been successful, but not so much so that people are looking at him as a HC

We retain a great recruiters in Lance Thompson and Rodney Gardner

We minimize the amount of change from a coaching staff perspective, which helps fiscally and with coach/player relationships.

All good ideas, but you're adding an on field coach to the D over this years staff which would require shuffling someone on the O staff to an off the field position or firing someone with no replacement and shuffling everyone then.

I don't buy the scared of contact stuff. Whenever a qb isn't good that's what people say. There's no way you're a dual threat qb and scared of contact. KF had to play in a suck system but also the o line was horrible. You're not going to see too many qb's that can be successful under the circumstances he was under

Agreed. Here's proof. Played at a small school after here and rushed for over 700 yards while being scared of contact. Was allowed a tryout at the UCLA pro day.

http://www.footballinsiders.com/breaking-former-auburn-qb-kiehl-frazier-working-out-at-ucla-pro-day/

"Frazier is a guy who can make all the throws and scramble around and make plays with his feet."

I don't remember kf being scared of contact when he was here.

KF looked like an old man easing himself into a hot tub ,when he ran qb draws, it was terrible.

Agreed. Here's proof. Played at a small school after here and rushed for over 700 yards while being scared of contact. Was allowed a tryout at the UCLA pro day.

http://www.footballi...t-ucla-pro-day/

"Frazier is a guy who can make all the throws and scramble around and make plays with his feet."

I don't remember kf being scared of contact when he was here.

KF looked like an old man easing himself into a hot tub ,when he ran qb draws, it was terrible.

Could it be that his inexperienced O Line was not making holes for him and he was hesitating, waiting for something to open up?

1. Defensive Coordinator

2. Defensive Line Coach

3. Defensive Backs Coach

Plan of action:

1. Hire Charles Kelly away from FSU. Runs a similar 3-4 scheme with a Buck, which would at least keep some consistency.

2. Hire the recently unemployed Craig Kuligowsk, formerly of Mizzou. Did some great things there.

3a. Either hire the recently unemployed Keith Heyward, formerly of USCw. Very much a man-to-man focused DBs coach.

This plan works because:

Kelly is an Auburn Alum

Kelly runs a similar scheme, which minimizes the changes (still will probably be changes in the calls, but at least the schematic concepts are similar).

Kelly has been successful, but not so much so that people are looking at him as a HC

We minimize the amount of change from a coaching staff perspective, which helps fiscally and with coach/player relationships.

All good ideas, but you're adding an on field coach to the D over this years staff which would require shuffling someone on the O staff to an off the field position or firing someone with no replacement and shuffling everyone then.

Alternatively, RG could be let go (or moved to ST/TE coach), and Kelly could coach the OLB's and Bucks (he coached FSU's LBs under Pruitt in 2013 before becoming their DC.

My top 4 look like Dave Aranda, Jeremy Pruitt, Randy Shannon, or Paul Rhodes. Wouldn't mind Manny Diaz if we could pull him from Moo St. though.

Manny Diaz?

BYU 550 Yards Rushing vs. Texas?

The one Mack Brown fired in desperation to try and cling to his Texas head coaching job?

Awesome job picking out the one "on the cusp" of my post. Diaz has been pretty successful, and to be honest, we could do worse.

Didn't Muschamp give up a career worst in defense/yards against bama last year when he was still HC at Florida? We didn't have any problem throwing a boatload of cash at him.

1. Defensive Coordinator

2. Defensive Line Coach

3. Defensive Backs Coach

Plan of action:

This plan works because:

Kelly is an Auburn Alum

Alternatively, RG could be let go (or moved to ST/TE coach), and Kelly could coach the OLB's and Bucks (he coached FSU's LBs under Pruitt in 2013 before becoming their DC.

But now why would he want to go from a DC to become a position coach in someone else's scheme, and at a school that is arguably much less successful than the one he is leaving? Then there is the staff to worry about. Coordinators are rather fond of their staffs and don't want to put them in terrible positions, such as the unemployment line.

My first pick would be Randy Shannon. Has plenty of experience, elite recruiter and gives us that south Florida recruiting region we lost with Muschamp and Trob leaving. Being the co-DC at UF for that defense doesn't hurt his resume either.

I saw that TRob was offered an extension and a raise, but don't think he was offered the DC position.

Agree to disagree. I saw different from KF. Unless it was Vandy or Kentucky KF couldn't cut it at any SEC and not many D1. There was a reason he ended up at Ouachita Baptist and didn't even dominate at that level. But moving on...hopefully we have more bodies at QB and options so there is a backup plan if needed.

Just to expand on KF's senior year playing at Ouachita Baptist...he led them to a Conference Championship and the D II playoffs. They lost in the first round. KF was 2nd team all conference. I was glad to see him finish his college career with a good season.

I'm happy for him but still not dominate. I just don't buy it was all the system with KF. Was it a part of it..yes but he just couldn't cut it..no matter the system in my eyes. It happens. It's great he won all those awards in high school and put on a good pro day but when the ball was hiked in CFB i didn't see anything that showed me even with a system that best fits him he could lead us to a championship. QB is a tough position to project...we just struck out with KF and JJ. I just hope we've learned that going forward.

Does all of the defensive coaching turmoil change how people feel about Rhett Lashlee? Make Gus less inclined to make a change with RL due to so many other changes? What is going on with Horton? Grimes?

I'm happy for him but still not dominate. I just don't buy it was all the system with KF. Was it a part of it..yes but he just couldn't cut it..no matter the system in my eyes. It happens. It's great he won all those awards in high school and put on a good pro day but when the ball was hiked in CFB i didn't see anything that showed me even with a system that best fits him he could lead us to a championship. QB is a tough position to project...we just struck out with KF and JJ. I just hope we've learned that going forward.

He didn't have the maturity or mental toughness for the adversity he faced early on-- he should have been brought along more slowly , but we were desperate.

if gus wants to be a long term and successful coach he needs to decide what kind of d scheme HE wants to run and hire coordinators accordingly. I hate saban but what he does makes sense. he hires people to run the schemes HE wants. I saw an interview with him where he discussed this extensively.

if the rumor about t rob not getting the coordinator offer is correct, it seems that gus does not believe he is ready. you have to give him some credit for making that tough call. It would certainly have been the easy decision.

Does all of the defensive coaching turmoil change how people feel about Rhett Lashlee? Make Gus less inclined to make a change with RL due to so many other changes? What is going on with Horton? Grimes?

Only hope of getting rid of Rhett at this point is he gets a HC job and i have not seen his name mentioned anywhere and why would it be. I'm over the RL and Gus partnership but looks like we're stuck with him another year. If anything Gus may want to consider lessening his role. I hope so.

Maybe WM and Durkin felt T-Rob were ready because they are defensive guys and would be there to help them. Gus, not so him. He would have to rely on passed over guys to help T-Rob.

if gus wants to be a long term and successful coach he needs to decide what kind of d scheme HE wants to run and hire coordinators accordingly. I hate saban but what he does makes sense. he hires people to run the schemes HE wants. I saw an interview with him where he discussed this extensively.

if the rumor about t rob not getting the coordinator offer is correct, it seems that gus does not believe he is ready. you have to give him some credit for making that tough call. It would certainly have been the easy decision.

But having T-Rob as our DC is no bigger risk as keeping RL as our OC.

He didn't have the maturity or mental toughness for the adversity he faced early on-- he should have been brought along more slowly , but we were desperate.

Hype will eventually do that to you. Hopefully the fan base has learned a significant lesson in all of this. Hype can turn what was only seen as "Playing for your teammates and school" into "Playing for the whole nation." Some people don't do too well with that much hype and pressure and will either try to do too much, or end up doing too little trying not to make a mistake. Both of which aren't good.

Well Saban can do that having built a "Dynasty". He arguably holds all the cards when picking a coordinator as he is in a position of leverage. To them, "This is UA, if we don't hire you we'll still be great, meanwhile if you don't come here, it'll be your loss." Right now in the state of which Auburn is in, a coordinator can come off with all of the leverage that they want and we have to cater to them.... A losing season, limited clout in the recruiting world at the time, a very tough conference. (SEC West is one of the strongest conferences balance-wise. Just about any team can beat anyone.) It's not a good situation to be too picky in. It's like throwing someone into war with limited munitions and telling them that you not only want them to survive, but to do it your way and in a style in which they might be unfamiliar with.

Actually it's a bit bigger. Lashlee has Gus' coattails and offensive expertise to ride on, while T-Rob would literally be on his own, with his staff being adjutants rather than advisors.

Think about that.

for the record, i think Rhett should go. if i were a head coach, i would not want a coordinator that thinks just like i had taught him. always hire someone smarter than you. smart business.

for the record, i think Rhett should go. if i were a head coach, i would not want a coordinator that thinks just like i had taught him. always hire someone smarter than you. smart business.

In coaching, the guys who is usually smarter than you is known as your replacement.

Ask Saban and Kirby about how it worked for them.

Archived