Staff Changes

fredst

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for the stability or continuity....is it beyond reason that when Gus is looking for a DC he tells the guy..

.this is what we ran this year, the kids know it and we don't want to start over with something new. Your job is to take that same defensive scheme and make it work for our players.

Agreed, but who is suggesting that?

This team may lead me to start drinking....

You're a better man than most, if you haven't started by now!

There aren't too many people that could have succeeded in KF's situation

I don't buy that fully. Yes the system sucked for what he could do but when your constantly going down in the fetal position and scarred of contact and just show no signs you can succeed in any system then i have to disagree. KF just wasn't who we thought he could be and neither was JJ. Gus should just probably chill with the NFL QB statements and let the QB show something before making those kinds of statements. Kind of like he was deemed an offensive genius.

As for the stability or continuity....is it beyond reason that when Gus is looking for a DC he tells the guy..

.this is what we ran this year, the kids know it and we don't want to start over with something new. Your job is to take that same defensive scheme and make it work for our players.

Ummmm... It's AU64. (said using the voice of guy on the phone with jake from state farm)

Pruitt causes way to many issues from within...he recruits great and all but I think its more problem than its worth.

Yep...he doesn't play well with others. I wouldn't have any problem hiring him though but i think we'd be in a similar situation soon again if we did hire Pruitt b/c it's no secret he wants to be a HC as well. He would've taken the USCe HC job in a heartbeat IMO but he was lower on their list. He's going to have to fix his issues wrestling feathers though if he wants to be a HC; despite being right or wrong...his reputation is suffering some.

I don't buy the scared of contact stuff. Whenever a qb isn't good that's what people say. There's no way you're a dual threat qb and scared of contact. KF had to play in a suck system but also the o line was horrible. You're not going to see too many qb's that can be successful under the circumstances he was under

This is ugly for us. Gus better hit a home run with the hire or he'll be hitting the road after next year. Ole Muschamp is going to do a number on us (again) by leaving. A thin defense, and he will take the recruits. Worst decision Gus made by hiring him? (Hindsight of course)

Makes me want to hit a dry erase board;)

Just responging to the comments from recruit's mom and suggestion that we don't have anything to tell her. I'm hoping that Gus is wearing out his cell phone calling recruits to keep them on board.

And meanwhile, Champ is repaying AU for hiring him by picking the staff clean....though maybe Thompson would be gone anyway if a real DC came in and wanted his own staff. Is Bently really leaving....that would be too bad.....USCe get a coach and a future QB ?

Just more to deal with.....lack of continuity.

Agree to disagree. I saw different from KF. Unless it was Vandy or Kentucky KF couldn't cut it at any SEC and not many D1. There was a reason he ended up at Ouachita Baptist and didn't even dominate at that level. But moving on...hopefully we have more bodies at QB and options so there is a backup plan if needed.

Was TRob offered the Auburn DC job and he declined or was he not offered?

My understanding is that he was offered a nice raise and extension but not the DC position.

wow! alrighty then!

I don't buy the scared of contact stuff. Whenever a qb isn't good that's what people say. There's no way you're a dual threat qb and scared of contact. KF had to play in a suck system but also the o line was horrible. You're not going to see too many qb's that can be successful under the circumstances he was under

I don't think he was particularly scared of contact, but he did say in an interview he preferred not to run.

Pruitt causes way to many issues from within...he recruits great and all but I think its more problem than its worth.

Yep...he doesn't play well with others. I wouldn't have any problem hiring him though but i think we'd be in a similar situation soon again if we did hire Pruitt b/c it's no secret he wants to be a HC as well. He would've taken the USCe HC job in a heartbeat IMO but he was lower on their list. He's going to have to fix his issues wrestling feathers though if he wants to be a HC; despite being right or wrong...his reputation is suffering some.

There is a reason Greg McGarity, UGA AD, has said that Pruitt will not be retained. Smart may convince him otherwise. We'll see...

Agreed. Here's proof. Played at a small school after here and rushed for over 700 yards while being scared of contact. Was allowed a tryout at the UCLA pro day.

http://www.footballinsiders.com/breaking-former-auburn-qb-kiehl-frazier-working-out-at-ucla-pro-day/

"Frazier is a guy who can make all the throws and scramble around and make plays with his feet."

Sports is 80% confidence yeah watching a guy after he's been screwed inn sure you're not going to see him being an all star. It happens every year in sports guys that seemed to look super now don't and guys who were written off look super. I don't even know what you're disagreeing about with kf to be honest but a young qb with a bad coord 3 or 4 o lineman first year starting and a completely new system....not too many sophomores going to be successful in that situation. Now if you're saying there are many that would be successful then yeah we'll agree to disagree

Agreed. Here's proof. Played at a small school after here and rushed for over 700 yards while being scared of contact. Was allowed a tryout at the UCLA pro day.

http://www.footballinsiders.com/breaking-former-auburn-qb-kiehl-frazier-working-out-at-ucla-pro-day/

"Frazier is a guy who can make all the throws and scramble around and make plays with his feet."

I don't remember kf being scared of contact when he was here.

There is a reason Greg McGarity, UGA AD, has said that Pruitt will not be retained. Smart may convince him otherwise. We'll see...

Yeah..i've heard. UGA fans are not that please with their AD overall..even with the Smart hiring. I think Smart would def. be open to keeping Pruitt but he's going to have to do a great job at selling it to McGarity.

Yeah..i've heard. UGA fans are not that please with their AD overall..even with the Smart hiring. I think Smart would def. be open to keeping Pruitt but he's going to have to do a great job at selling it to McGarity.

He just gave a 1st year coach a $14 Million buyout.

I don't think he was particularly scared of contact, but he did say in an interview he preferred not to run.

Pretty much what athletic qb's are supposed to say because the knock on them is they don't let plays develop they would take off running. Especially the ones that have NFL dreams. I remember cam saying something similar

I don't remember kf being scared of contact when he was here.

He watched the rush on passing plays not focusing downfield. That's what his issue was said to be.

Sports is 80% confidence yeah watching a guy after he's been screwed inn sure you're not going to see him being an all star. It happens every year in sports guys that seemed to look super now don't and guys who were written off look super. I don't even know what you're disagreeing about with kf to be honest but a young qb with a bad coord 3 or 4 o lineman first year starting and a completely new system....not too many sophomores going to be successful in that situation. Now if you're saying there are many that would be successful then yeah we'll agree to disagree

Who are you disagreeing with? My first word after your quote was agree....and then I proved that you were correct...

Who are you disagreeing with? My first word after your quote was agree....and then I proved that you were correct...

I was talking to someone before you started posting. I didn't quote it was my bad, I wasn't directing my statement to you. Thanks for proving I was correct though lol

My top 4 look like Dave Aranda, Jeremy Pruitt, Randy Shannon, or Paul Rhodes. Wouldn't mind Manny Diaz if we could pull him from Moo St. though.

Manny Diaz?

BYU 550 Yards Rushing vs. Texas?

The one Mack Brown fired in desperation to try and cling to his Texas head coaching job?

Awesome job picking out the one "on the cusp" of my post. Diaz has been pretty successful, and to be honest, we could do worse.

Alright everyone, I know you've all been waiting for it, so here it is:

====== AUENGINEER2016'S DEFENSIVE COACHING PLAN OF AWESOMENESS =====

Needs (in order of importance):

1. Defensive Coordinator

2. Defensive Line Coach

3. Defensive Backs Coach

4. Inside Line Backers Coach

5. Outside Line Backers Coach

Plan of action:

1. Hire Charles Kelly away from FSU. Runs a similar 3-4 scheme with a Buck, which would at least keep some consistency.

2. Hire the recently unemployed Craig Kuligowsk, formerly of Mizzou. Did some great things there.

3a. Either hire the recently unemployed Keith Heyward, formerly of USCw. Very much a man-to-man focused DBs coach.

3b. ... or hire the successful Charlton Warren of UNC. Proven DBs coach.

4. Retain Lance Thompson, moving him to ILBs.

5. Retain Rodney Gardner, moving him to OLBs and Bucks

This plan works because:

Kelly is an Auburn Alum

Kelly runs a similar scheme, which minimizes the changes (still will probably be changes in the calls, but at least the schematic concepts are similar).

Kelly has been successful, but not so much so that people are looking at him as a HC

We retain a great recruiters in Lance Thompson and Rodney Gardner

We minimize the amount of change from a coaching staff perspective, which helps fiscally and with coach/player relationships.

Archived