Staff Changes

fredst

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Chizik given new contract after 1 (championship admittedly)season when there is no sign he is a candidate for any possible job. Runs program in the ground with 3-9 season, off the field issues galore and finlly whole staff is fired with huge buyouts.

2) Malzahn is hired, has a great 1st season. Old contract torn up, given deal with large buyout when there is no sign he is a candidate for any possible job. Looks to be on the hot seat next season.

3) Galloway is hired amid numerous reports of being very difficult to work with. Rumors after 1 season he may be fired. Is finally fired after supposedly having AU employees spying on him to find reasons to fire him with cause, eliminating any buyout money. Not surprisingly he hires a lawyer who holds a bizarre press conference with Galloway to discuss how AU has done his client wrong. Looks to be headed to court unless AU decides to make bad press go away with settlement.

4) Matthew Davis, an athletics department employee is fired after reportedly informing AU officials of ticket discrepancies occuring in Tigers Unlimited. University claims he was involved in some sort of athlete injury information leading to his dismissal. Lawyer goes to the press. Looks headed to court barring a settlement.

Tuberville and Muschamp left Auburn by most accounts being unhappy with the way administration handled aspects of the program. Bruce was a home-run hire without a doubt. I would only ask Dr Gouge and BOT members if they really think this is the best person to keep leading a multi-million dollar business in the future.

To be fair he also hired Clint Myers, Bruce Pearl, Terri Williams-Flournoy and Nick Clinard, all pretty good coaches. Some hits, some misses...

Hired Pearl after Barbee was a bust. He has been at the helm for at least three football meltdowns, this being the most recent one.

My #1 choice with Auburn ties would be FSU Defensive Coordinator Charles Kelly. He played DB for Pat Dye and has done a very good job at FSU. Just not sure he could be lured away from a successful program like FSU, even for more money than he's making now at FSU.

As has been stated several times, I can't picture a real established coming into the AU situation as uncertain as it's going to appear at the top. Maybe a Loeffler-like hire, lol.

Was TRob offered the Auburn DC job and he declined or was he not offered?

My understanding is that he was offered a nice raise and extension but not the DC position.

To be fair he also hired Clint Myers, Bruce Pearl, Terri Williams-Flournoy and Nick Clinard, all pretty good coaches. Some hits, some misses...

Hired Pearl after Barbee was a bust. He has been at the helm for at least three football meltdowns, this being the most recent one.

True...I'm not mounting a defense of JJ, just adding that there have been good choices along with the not so good to the discussion about his job performance. Seems appropriate to bring praise or criticism where/when it's due. Across the 15 or so collegiate sports under the Athletic Department it's been a mixed bag, not all great hires or all duds.

My understanding is that he was offered a nice raise and extension but not the DC position.

Where's the head against brick wall emoji when you need it?

Stupid beyond words. Better have someone good waiting on their bowl to finish up.

Agree with almost all of this, Barnacle. My problem is that the one hire who would've been both stable in the short term and a long-term prospect was TRob.

Which makes question the Muschamp hire even more. I get it, hindsight is 20/20, but the situation that is quickly unfolding today is one that was very likely to occur. I really think everyone (Gus, JJ, alumni, fans, analysts, etc.) were so drunk on the illusion of Jeremy Johnson that we just turned a blind eye to the very real possibility that Will would be one and done, and that he'd likely take his guys with him.

I never thought Will was that bad of a HC. Look at Florida against Alabama on Saturday. That looked exactly like a Will Muschamp coached team. I think McElwain is going to do very well there, especially once he gets his QB back, but as we all know, if you don't have a QB you don't have a prayer. Florida probably made the right move, but Will was never going to stick around long.

Like I said, I was one of the people who thought hiring Will was the right move. There were many around here who questioned it for these exact reasons, and I feel foolish for not agreeing.

I think TRob was the plan if Champ was one aan done. We just didn't execute.

Smh

True...I'm not mounting a defense of JJ, just adding that there have been good choices along with the not so good to the discussion about his job performance. Seems appropriate to bring praise or criticism where/when it's due. Across the 15 or so collegiate sports under the Athletic Department it's been a mixed bag, not all great hires or all duds.

Oh you know you can't let facts get in the way of a good lynching.

Agree with almost all of this, Barnacle. My problem is that the one hire who would've been both stable in the short term and a long-term prospect was TRob.

Which makes question the Muschamp hire even more. I get it, hindsight is 20/20, but the situation that is quickly unfolding today is one that was very likely to occur. I really think everyone (Gus, JJ, alumni, fans, analysts, etc.) were so drunk on the illusion of Jeremy Johnson that we just turned a blind eye to the very real possibility that Will would be one and done, and that he'd likely take his guys with him.

I never thought Will was that bad of a HC. Look at Florida against Alabama on Saturday. That looked exactly like a Will Muschamp coached team. I think McElwain is going to do very well there, especially once he gets his QB back, but as we all know, if you don't have a QB you don't have a prayer. Florida probably made the right move, but Will was never going to stick around long.

Like I said, I was one of the people who thought hiring Will was the right move. There were many around here who questioned it for these exact reasons, and I feel foolish for not agreeing.

That may be so. I hope it wasn't though. It seems reasonable to believe that if Will left, T-Rob would desire to work under him as a D.C. before anyone else. Oh well.

Isn't Trob a bit inexperienced for the role of developing and calling defenses against SEC teams? He can go with CWM because CWM will pretty much duplicating what Gus does here....Champ will be doing the heavy lifting on the defensive plan and Trob can play the role of Lash.. Not hiring Trob as our DC....seems reasonable to me....not yet ready to take that job in this conference. JMO

My #1 choihce with Auburn ties would be FSU Defensive Coordinator Charles Kelly. He played DB for Pat Dye and has done a very good job at FSU. Just not sure he could be lured away from a successful program like FSU, even for more money than he's making now at FSU.

High on Gus's list

Several people in here have argued that lack of talent at quarterback is our problem. Those of you in that camp, think about the following:

1. Who teaches the quarterbacks?... Lashlee

2. Who recruits and scouts quarterbacks? Members of the coaching staff.

3. Who has the job of doing whatever necessary in play calling to make a quarterback efficient? Lashlee

4. Malzahn and lashlee were convinced that JJ was going to be the next big thing at quarterback. Gus said similar things about Frazier after he left for ASU.

5. We pretty clearly had issues at wr as well, and our defense was inconsistent especially early in the year.

Basically, there is a disconnect somewhere. We are bringing in high rated recruiting classes every year, and there is no way that all of those recruits are busts by luck alone. Either our coaches are awful at scouting, awful at developing, awful at teaching players to execute, or some combination of those. That's why coaching changes are needed. We need to address whatever is lacking in this team.

#4 is what really concerns me about Gus. Of course we know coaches must be confident in their QB but Gus was VERY high on Frazier and JJ being big time QB and both were huge flops. That makes me question his evaluation of QBs. When the lights came on they both looked scared and lost.

So, the Muschamp hire now appears to be a gamble that Auburn lost big on. Don't get me wrong, I was 100% on the Will Muschamp bandwagon last year. Like most everyone else, I was drunk on the thought that with a little help on defense, Auburn was a serious contender to win a national championship. Gus had himself, JJ and CWM convinced that Jeremy Johnson & Co. had the pieces together to bring home the hardware if Muschamp could help the defense only marginally. We swung for the fences, and now it appears that we've missed.

It also appears that Auburn took on all the risk. Clearly, Will Muschamp didn't need to build a great defense, or spend 3 years removed from Florida to get another good HC offer. I think Will did a good job this past year. I still love the guy, and I can't blame him for leaving. However, Auburn is now going to enter its third season in a row with a different D.C. What to show for it? The Birmingham Bowl, uncertainty and instability. That's not to say its all lost. I do believe that Will was at least beginning to change the defensive culture at Auburn. He recruited some fine young players. There are positives to build on. Yet, I would trade all of those for stability at this point. I hope that this next hire/promotion is made with stability in mind.

Its hard for me to blame Gus or Jay Jacobs for hiring Will Muschamp, given what they believed at this time last year. After all, if Jeremy Johnson would have panned out, and Duke Williams would have stepped into his anticipated role, Auburn very well could be having its own "pizza party" today. But, that's not how it turned out. Now, I can't help but feel foolish for believing hiring Muschamp was the best hire Auburn could make. We all convinced ourselves that Will would never leave after just one year, and that no program worth its salt would risk hiring him so soon. Now we know.

I just hope that the next hire Auburn makes is made with the long-run in mind. I hope its a decision that is made wisely and quickly. If not, the positives that Muschamp did leave behind might not count for much. We can't afford to remain stagnate on the defensive side of the ball, and we certainly can't afford to hang our hat on another quick fix.

T-Rob has hitched his wagon to CWM. He'll either succeed with him or drown with him.

Several people in here have argued that lack of talent at quarterback is our problem. Those of you in that camp, think about the following:

1. Who teaches the quarterbacks?... Lashlee

2. Who recruits and scouts quarterbacks? Members of the coaching staff.

3. Who has the job of doing whatever necessary in play calling to make a quarterback efficient? Lashlee

4. Malzahn and lashlee were convinced that JJ was going to be the next big thing at quarterback. Gus said similar things about Frazier after he left for ASU.

5. We pretty clearly had issues at wr as well, and our defense was inconsistent especially early in the year.

Basically, there is a disconnect somewhere. We are bringing in high rated recruiting classes every year, and there is no way that all of those recruits are busts by luck alone. Either our coaches are awful at scouting, awful at developing, awful at teaching players to execute, or some combination of those. That's why coaching changes are needed. We need to address whatever is lacking in this team.

#4 is what really concerns me about Gus. Of course we know coaches must be confident in their QB but Gus was VERY high on Frazier and JJ being big time QB and both were huge flops. That makes me question his evaluation of QBs. When the lights came on they both looked scared and lost.

KF was trying to run an offense different from what he was recruited for. He also got his brains bashed in from a leaky offensive line.

I know more than anyone what the guys would end up having to learn so many defenses in a small span, it really gets tough when you never really settle into a defensive mindset having to ingest 3-5 different defensive philosophies and think about concepts and reads rather than simply having them become instinct. That is the biggest issue with dealing with a coaching change. Continuity is what is needed most. Someone who will come in with a very straight forward as well as simple enough scheme that doesn't require too many personnel changes or something that Auburn doesn't have on the roster currently.

Absolutely.

Driving through Charlotte NC today and looked up to see Gus's picture on a big billboard with Dec 7 under it.....so was / is Gus in town today for some event?

Archived