Staff Changes

fredst

This gonna be tough hire. When the HC is coaching for his job next yr, it tough to sell AU to an elite DC candidate. And like it or not, AU has to have an elite DC.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This gonna be tough hire. When the HC is coaching for his job next yr, it tough to sell AU to an elite DC candidate. And like it or not, AU has to have an elite DC.

Yep, but we can pay enough to get someone to take that risk.

Auburn has gone to the National Championship twice with an average DC. I think the only way Gus is coaching for his job next season is if we go worse than 6-6 and get throttled by our rivals. Charles Kelly looks like he would be a solid hire but I think Auburn can do better.

Yep, but we can pay enough to get someone to take that risk.

I'll take the risk for a third of what AU paid CWM!

Auburn has gone to the National Championship twice with an average DC. I think the only way Gus is coaching for his job next season is if we go worse than 6-6 and get throttled by our rivals. Charles Kelly looks like he would be a solid hire but I think Auburn can do better.

LOL, if we lose for three straight years to our two biggest rivals (uga and spuat) and include another loss to a Miss school then Gus should be fired with cause. There is no way we are going to be able to lure a quality DC away from another school right now. If TRob had enough sense to realize this, I am sure any big name DC will.

wde

No coach leaves a school because he thinks that school is going to suck the next season because certain players are graduating. They leave for more money or to better position themselves for a promotion to HC.

Wouldn't positioning themselves for a promotion include leaving a program in which the future doesn't look good? Very rarely can you get a HC job after a subpar season as an asst

No coach leaves a school because he thinks that school is going to suck the next season because certain players are graduating. They leave for more money or to better position themselves for a promotion to HC.

Absolutely. As personally as fans take it, coaches don't. It truly is a business and decisions are not made with school loyalties in mind. That might not be what people want, but it is what it is.

Who ever comes, they must know that it's gonna be for 1 year only. Unless the offense gets back on track by winning more than 6 or 7 games and we beat bammer, Malzahn is history.

The offense will be fine.

Absolutely. As personally as fans take it, coaches don't. It truly is a business and decisions are not made with school loyalties in mind. That might not be what people want, but it is what it is.

The following will be the top 25 defenses and there coordinators and we will cross them off as they are determined impossible.

Let's make a list of candidates and update it as we go:

Boston College - Don Brown

Alabama- Kirby Smart (UGA New head coach)

Wisconsin - Dave Aranda

Michigan - DJ Durkin (Maryland new head coach)

San Diego State - Rocky Long (Also HC and unlikely to take a demotion)

Florida - Geoff Collins (Not leaving)

Clemson - Brent Venables

Georgia - Jeremy Pruitt (will not be retained)

Missouri - Barry Odom (Just got promoted to HC)

Ohio State - Chris Ash (Rutgers new HC)

Northwestern - Mike Hankwitz

Appalachian State - Nate Woody

Louisville - Todd Grantham

Penn State - Bob Shoop

FSU - Charles Kelly

Central Michigan - Joe Tumpkin

Akron - Chuck Amato

Temple - Phil Snow

NC State - Dave Huxtable

Iowa - Phil Parker

Georgia Southern - Jack Curtis (If their head coach is the key to the success at defense maybe this would be promotion enough)

Utah State - Kevin Clune

Air Force - Steve Russ

Boise State - Marcel Yates

LSU - Kevin Steele

Agreed, I thought it was obvious that AU is going to have to open up the check book to hire anyone worth having. My point was more that Diaz sees the writing on the wall in his current situation, and takes a chance on AU for a big payday.

People are writing Gus off way too soon. He has had ONE (1) subpar offensive season in his career. I saw some really positive things in the Iron Bowl, especially in relation to the offensive line. Gus has some things to solve, especially in relation to QB and play calling. Lashlee may have to go. Muschamp really screwed us over and this is going to be hard to recover from, but we will be do it.

Randy Shannon would be a good choice I d available

I was in favor of RS when we were considering Muschamp. Since then I learned he has a lot of personal baggage. Sorry, can't remember what it was. For a long time his major baggage was the financial carry over from Miami. Guess that part is resolved.

Shannon has no baggage at all.

Archived