Will Muschamp (Combined Thread)

Potatooooooes!!

USC job would be perfect for Muschamp, mediocrity, solid D stay in games to give the base hope, occasionally get a upset or two. Less pressure, understanding of his energy as giving a sh&&

Yes, all of this sounds right, except it is the exact opposite. Just two years ago, this team was picked to win the SEC before a full meltdown. With spurrier, their fans have tasted success. You are sadly mistaken if you think they are going to go for mediocre results.

Define mediocre-- Spurrier never won a title and they loved him. Closest they've ever been to relevant. They don't require much. Someone with Richt's record would have had a statue by now .

You are not very mediocre if you are competing for the SEC east division title, year in and year out. Mediocre is AU 2015. Average. I didn't think that I would have to explain that. And yes, I imagine they would've built a statue for someone like Mark Richt who teams usually won the SEC east every other year. I mean we should know, he kicked our butts majority of the time with the exception of our teams that were National title contenders. Spurrier was doing that with much less talent. That is not very average. if you think WMC is going to survive going 6-6, 7-5, then you are in for a rude awakening. As I stated before, Spurrier showed them where they could be, so they aren't going to have the Vandy woe is me mindset. Pre-Steve Spurrier, it was okay to just be bowl eligible. Steve Spurrier had USCe winning 11 games three years in a row, before that weird meltdown. Post Steve Spurrier, I doubt they will be okay fighting to be bowl eligible. If that was the case, they wouldn't have been wanting to fire the guy who got them to that point.

Mediocre is relative to the fan base-- my point is you can survive at USC with records that get you canned at UF, UGA, Bama, UTk, LSU and Auburn. Didn't think I'd have to explain that .

Context means nothing to you. If WM goes 6-6, 6-6, 7-5, 6-6. He will be fired at USCe. That is mediocre. Nothing relative about it. Yes, maybe before they tasted success that would've been okay (WHICH I said in my previous point), but since spurrier showed that USCe can be successful in the east that won't be accepted. Hence, Why the fanbase doesn't really want him! They want to win NOW. CONTEXT. Yes, Spurrier didn't win a title but he was constantly competing for titles. BIG DIFFERENCE. Once they weren't competitive anymore, he was gone. I don't know what you guys definition of mediocre is, but when you are constantly in the hunt for a division title, that is not mediocre.

Tell that to UGA and LSU- and btw, USC was in the hunt during a period of epic weakness for the east. You miss my point on context. Spurrier's USC record would have gotten him canned at UGA, LSU, Bama, AU and even UF.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USC job would be perfect for Muschamp, mediocrity, solid D stay in games to give the base hope, occasionally get a upset or two. Less pressure, understanding of his energy as giving a sh&&

Yes, all of this sounds right, except it is the exact opposite. Just two years ago, this team was picked to win the SEC before a full meltdown. With spurrier, their fans have tasted success. You are sadly mistaken if you think they are going to go for mediocre results.

Define mediocre-- Spurrier never won a title and they loved him. Closest they've ever been to relevant. They don't require much. Someone with Richt's record would have had a statue by now .

You are not very mediocre if you are competing for the SEC east division title, year in and year out. Mediocre is AU 2015. Average. I didn't think that I would have to explain that. And yes, I imagine they would've built a statue for someone like Mark Richt who teams usually won the SEC east every other year. I mean we should know, he kicked our butts majority of the time with the exception of our teams that were National title contenders. Spurrier was doing that with much less talent. That is not very average. if you think WMC is going to survive going 6-6, 7-5, then you are in for a rude awakening. As I stated before, Spurrier showed them where they could be, so they aren't going to have the Vandy woe is me mindset. Pre-Steve Spurrier, it was okay to just be bowl eligible. Steve Spurrier had USCe winning 11 games three years in a row, before that weird meltdown. Post Steve Spurrier, I doubt they will be okay fighting to be bowl eligible. If that was the case, they wouldn't have been wanting to fire the guy who got them to that point.

Mediocre is relative to the fan base-- my point is you can survive at USC with records that get you canned at UF, UGA, Bama, UTk, LSU and Auburn. Didn't think I'd have to explain that .

Context means nothing to you. If WM goes 6-6, 6-6, 7-5, 6-6. He will be fired at USCe. That is mediocre. Nothing relative about it. Yes, maybe before they tasted success that would've been okay (WHICH I said in my previous point), but since spurrier showed that USCe can be successful in the east that won't be accepted. Hence, Why the fanbase doesn't really want him! They want to win NOW. CONTEXT. Yes, Spurrier didn't win a title but he was constantly competing for titles. BIG DIFFERENCE. Once they weren't competitive anymore, he was gone. I don't know what you guys definition of mediocre is, but when you are constantly in the hunt for a division title, that is not mediocre.

Tell that to UGA and LSU- and btw, USC was in the hunt during a period of epic weakness for the east. You miss my point on context. Spurrier's USC record would have gotten him canned at UGA, LSU, Bama, AU and even UF.

But we aren't talking about UGA, LSU, BAMA, AU or even UF. We are talking about the present USCe fanbase. The present USCe fanbase feels they can win because they have tasted it So, yes, a decade ago being bowl eligible would've been great because they were a very bad program. However, Spurrier was pretty successful at USCe and showed them they don't have to be mediocre, so they don't want to go back to that. Whether the SEC EAST is weak or not. Being mediocre will not be accepted. Go talk to any USCe fan and ask them, Will you guys be okay being mediocre for the next couple of years and see their response. Vandy will be okay with that, UK will probably be okay with that. They don't want to be mediocre and quite frankly WMC has proven to be a mediocre head coach. Many of the fanbase do not want him for that reason. That is about all I have to say on the issue.

But we aren't talking about UGA, LSU, BAMA, AU or even UF. We are talking about the present USCe fanbase. The present USCe fanbase feels they can win because they have tasted it So, yes, a decade ago being bowl eligible would've been great because they were a very bad program. However, Spurrier was pretty successful at USCe and showed them they don't have to be mediocre, so they don't want to go back to that. Whether the SEC EAST is weak or not. Being mediocre will not be accepted. Go talk to any USCe fan and ask them, Will you guys be okay being mediocre for the next couple of years and see their response. Vandy will be okay with that, UK will probably be okay with that. They don't want to be mediocre and quite frankly WMC has proven to be a mediocre head coach. Many of the fanbase do not want him for that reason. That is about all I have to say on the issue.

Here's context- Richt just got fired after going 9-3. Les almost did. That won't happen at USC. Context defines mediocre.

Don't post often but must ask. Why in the world would we promote TRob to DC? Do you really think we are in a position to hire a completely unproven commodity as DC? I get the love for the former layer but wow. Most folks prove themselves at a smaller school running the show at a major conference program. Just finding it hard to see the logic. For what it's worth, grew up in Columbia as a Gamecock fan before attending Auburn. Think hiring Muschamp is a huge mistake for them. Want him to stay but fine if he goes, expecially if it reveals issues within the AD. He was only here for 2 years max anyway. Other fish in the sea.

Ooof. Laphroaig. Bandaids in a bottle.

I ordered a glass of Lagavulin 16 one night and someone ashed their cigarette in it. Didn't affect the taste.

I prefer Highlands scotch personally.

I like them all. Lagavulin is my favorite Islay. Had an ex-girlfriend from Texas who described it as 'Mesquite barbecue'. LOL

Highlands are good, too. Macallan is best.

Balvenie's a good Lowland. Very heathery.

Finally a comment on this thread with some sense. Lagavulin 16 is excellent, but Ardbeg Uigeadail is absolutely perfect!

This is the most correct thing in this whole thread. Had some by my outdoor fireplace tonight. About 40 degrees outside- the Uigeadail was just right. Lagavulin16 or Laphroaig15 would have been close seconds. Glad somebody has priorities too. Cheers!

Here's context- Richt just got fired after going 9-3. Les almost did. That won't happen at USC.

You realize I never once said that would happen at USC, right? Dude, you are a moderator. You should know what context mean. I said WMC cannot be mediocre and expect to be retained at USCe. Is 9-3 mediocre? When has 9-3 ever been mediocre? Do you really think Steve Spurrier would've been fired at USC if they went 9-3? UGA had higher expectations for Richt because he proved he could constantly get to the SEC title game and have enough talent to win the game. Once you touch that success, the fanbase expects more. Steve Spurrier came to a terrible USCe program, started off going 6-6, 7-5, 6-6 and then strung along seasons of 9, 11,11,11 win seasons. He made a blueprint on how to be successful there. He started going downhill and then he "resigned". Context. WMC could probably get a mulligan going 6-6 his first year, Heck they might even give him some breathing room going 7-5 his second season, but if he strings along 6-6 season after season, he will not be retained at USCe. Going 6-6 is not going to fly with them anymore. If you think a fan base, who just two years ago had a team that was predicted to win the SEC is going to all of a sudden be ok with being mediocre, than there is really nothing else for me to say.

This whole saga is getting more drawn out and ridiculous by the hour. For everyone's sake I am ready for closure regardless of the outcome.

Here's context- Richt just got fired after going 9-3. Les almost did. That won't happen at USC.

You realize I never once said that would happen at USC, right? Dude, you are a moderator. You should know what context mean. I said WMC cannot be mediocre and expect to be retained at USCe. Is 9-3 mediocre? When has 9-3 ever been mediocre? Do you really think Steve Spurrier would've been fired at USC if they went 9-3? UGA had higher expectations for Richt because he proved he could constantly get to the SEC title game and have enough talent to win the game. Once you touch that success, the fanbase expects more. Steve Spurrier came to a terrible USCe program, started off going 6-6, 7-5, 6-6 and then strung along seasons of 9, 11,11,11 win seasons. He made a blueprint on how to be successful there. He started going downhill and then he "resigned". Context. WMC could probably get a mulligan going 6-6 his first year, Heck they might even give him some breathing room going 7-5 his second season, but if he strings along 6-6 season after season, he will not be retained at USCe. Going 6-6 is not going to fly with them anymore. If you think a fan base, who just two years ago had a team that was predicted to win the SEC is going to all of a sudden be ok with being mediocre than there is really nothing else for me to say.

You're too busy arguing to follow what I'm saying. LSU and UGA see 9-3 as mediocre these days. It's the Saban effect. I think that's absurd, but it's the new reality at programs that have tasted real success before. Once you win a national title you expect to win another. USC has the good fortune of not playing Bama most years- unless they meet in Atlanta. And then they'll just be thrilled to be there. If Muschamp went to UGA and went 9-3 every year but lost to AU, Ga Tech and UF he'd be canned and viewed as mediocre by the UGA fan base.

I know I was berated for what I said earlier, but reliable sources are starting to report that Muschamp's sudden change of heart started with a petty disagreement. I'm not going to pretend to know the details, but that's the general feel right now.

I know I was berated for what I said earlier, but reliable sources are starting to report that Muschamp's sudden change of heart started with a petty disagreement. I'm not going to pretend to know the details, but that's the general feel right now.

If that's true, it's déjà vu.

You realize I never once said that would happen at USC, right? Dude, you are a moderator. You should know what context mean. I said WMC cannot be mediocre and expect to be retained at USCe. Is 9-3 mediocre? When has 9-3 ever been mediocre? Do you really think Steve Spurrier would've been fired at USC if they went 9-3? UGA had higher expectations for Richt because he proved he could constantly get to the SEC title game and have enough talent to win the game. Once you touch that success, the fanbase expects more. Steve Spurrier came to a terrible USCe program, started off going 6-6, 7-5, 6-6 and then strung along seasons of 9, 11,11,11 win seasons. He made a blueprint on how to be successful there. He started going downhill and then he "resigned". Context. WMC could probably get a mulligan going 6-6 his first year, Heck they might even give him some breathing room going 7-5 his second season, but if he strings along 6-6 season after season, he will not be retained at USCe. Going 6-6 is not going to fly with them anymore. If you think a fan base, who just two years ago had a team that was predicted to win the SEC is going to all of a sudden be ok with being mediocre than there is really nothing else for me to say.

You're too busy arguing to follow what I'm saying. LSU and UGA see 9-3 as mediocre these days. It's the Saban effect. I think that's absurd, but it's the new reality at programs that have tasted real success before. Once you win a national title you expect to win another. USC has the good fortune of not playing Bama most years- unless they meet in Atlanta. And then they'll just be thrilled to be there. If Muschamp went to UGA and went 9-3 every year but lost to AU, Ga Tech and UF he'd be canned and viewed as mediocre by the UGA fan base.

No, they see that as being GOOD. And I can't fault that for them. They've been good for a long time. They want to be GREAT. They want to be the BEST. They are tired of just being good. Big freaking difference. Secondly, your point was moot anyway. I never said USCe had to be great or to even be compared to the likes of UGA, AU, LSU, UF, etc. I said they do not want to be MEDIOCRE. Keep up. Guess what, if we go 8-4 consistently..that is cool we are a good team, but AU wants to be great because we have shown we can be great. 8-5 was a good record in 2014 but we were disappointed. We are mediocre and people are wanting to burn the plains down. The same goes with LSU and UGA. They are not going to go for just being good consistently, just like USCe isn't going to go for just being mediocre anymore. CONTEXT. AHHH I am done.

No, they see that as being GOOD. And I can't fault that for them. They've been good for a long time. They want to be GREAT. They want to be the BEST. They are tired of just being good. Big freaking difference. Secondly, your point was moot anyway. I never said USCe had to be great or to even be compared to the likes of UGA, AU, LSU, UF, etc. I said they do not want to be MEDIOCRE. Keep up. Guess what, if we go 8-4 consistently..that is cool we are a good team, but AU wants to be great because we have shown we can be great. The same goes with LSU and UGA. They are not going to go for just being good consistently, just like USCe isn't going to go for just being mediocre anymore. CONTEXT. AHHH I am done.

The point is the pressure and expectations are lower at USC than top tier SEC schools where good is the new mediocre. Good place for Will. Good night.

Don't post often but must ask. Why in the world would we promote TRob to DC? Do you really think we are in a position to hire a completely unproven commodity as DC? I get the love for the former layer but wow. Most folks prove themselves at a smaller school running the show at a major conference program. Just finding it hard to see the logic. For what it's worth, grew up in Columbia as a Gamecock fan before attending Auburn. Think hiring Muschamp is a huge mistake for them. Want him to stay but fine if he goes, expecially if it reveals issues within the AD. He was only here for 2 years max anyway. Other fish in the sea.

a lot of people believe Gus will be coaching for his job next season

That means he doesn't have time to get a dc in and let him implement a new scheme and go through another year of "we don't have the right personnel yet, growing pains, etc"

Promoting t rob allows us to keep our current scheme/style/chemistry/recruits, for the most part.

I almost feel like if the rumors are true about Muschamp wanting out of auburn, that it'll be Saban or smart that lands him

Imo, USCe would pick rich rod or the Oklahoma guy over WM. Who knows though

I almost feel like if the rumors are true about Muschamp wanting out of auburn, that it'll be Saban or smart that lands him

Imo, USCe would pick rich rod or the Oklahoma guy over WM. Who knows though

I find it hard to believe he would be their pick as well, assuming the others would take the job if offered.

a lot of people believe Gus will be coaching for his job next season

That means he doesn't have time to get a dc in and let him implement a new scheme and go through another year of "we don't have the right personnel yet, growing pains, etc"

Promoting t rob allows us to keep our current scheme/style/chemistry/recruits, for the most part.

To me, that's the scariest part of this entire thing.

I expected CWM to be gone pretty quickly ...but I was hoping that Gus and AU would settle on a defensive philosophy and defensive scheme and bring a coach who would continue what CWM started....not tear it up and put in something new...again.

Scheme is not what determines good defenses.....schools out there win with every imaginable defensive scheme.

It's just crazy to be re-tooling our defense every year or two in hopes that a different scheme is going to solve our problems.

Poison of choice?

I vote for threadjacking with a more pleasant topic.

Tonight I'll be drinking beer. Going to Wrecking Bar here in Atlanta. One of the best brew pubs anywhere for my money. The beer is fantastic and they always have something new on tap, but the food is world class.

When it comes to spirits, I waver back and forth between bourbon and scotch (just a couple drops of water, please... save the ice for the cocktails). Currently I have some Weller (the regular kind, not the Antique or 12 year- I wish!) and some Elmer T. Lee in the cabinet. Big fan of the Evan Williams Single Barrel for the money. And I like most scotches, but I lean towards Islay malts. Black Bottle is actually a killer Islay blend for only $20ish a bottle. I like Laphroaig when I want to step it up a notch. Lagavulin, too. But yeah, I'm thrifty with spirits. I tend to save my overspending for beer. Shocks understands.

I'll sip nice tequilas on occasion. I like Beefeater gin in my martinis. Bombay Sapphire on the rocks. Not much of a vodka guy. Love a little Bailey's in my coffee.

Who is *hiccup* this Muss Willchamp guy? I can't believe Monty *hiccup* Kiffin is Auburn's new defensive president. DRINK!

*head lands on table*

Loof...

We should grab a drink during a game sometime.

I'm a Macallan guy (usually the 12-year-old... 15 if I'm feeling frisky).

Hope nobody quotes that out of context.

You seem about as even-keeled as anyone on here.

And you as capable of eliciting a solid belly laugh. I'm in.

I ordered a glass of Lagavulin 16 one night and someone ashed their cigarette in it. Didn't affect the taste.

I like them all. Lagavulin is my favorite Islay. Had an ex-girlfriend from Texas who described it as 'Mesquite barbecue'. LOL

Finally a comment on this thread with some sense. Lagavulin 16 is excellent, but Ardbeg Uigeadail is absolutely perfect!

This is the most correct thing in this whole thread. Had some by my outdoor fireplace tonight. About 40 degrees outside- the Uigeadail was just right. Lagavulin16 or Laphroaig15 would have been close seconds. Glad somebody has priorities too. Cheers!

Ardberg is amazing and gets bonus points for being pirate speak friendly. Not that I'm ever confident of my pronunciation of anything Scottish.

Yep, he left here before over a minor squabble. That's when I named him "Coach Hot Head". I just hope he clears out pronto and I don't care where he goes. The damage has already been done and now, for as long as he's here we'll be putting up with this crap every time a job comes open anywhere this side of Alaska. He could have said something to the effect that he's only interested in a HC job but he hasn't done that.

I'd promote T-Rob this morning and tell Coach Hot head that if he wants to stay he can take a big pay cut and be T-Rob's D-back coach. Otherwise clear on out.

Yep, he left here before over a minor squabble. That's when I named him "Coach Hot Head". I just hope he clears out pronto and I don't care where he goes. The damage has already been done and now, for as long as he's here we'll be putting up with this crap every time a job comes open anywhere this side of Alaska. He could have said something to the effect that he's only interested in a HC job but he hasn't done that.

I'd promote T-Rob this morning and tell Coach Hot head that if he wants to stay he can take a big pay cut and be T-Rob's D-back coach. Otherwise clear on out.

Got my vote.....

Ardberg is amazing and gets bonus points for being pirate speak friendly. Not that I'm ever confident of my pronunciation of anything Scottish.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I guess you could do worse than channeling a pirate. Substitute 'Jimmy' (pronounced more like 'Jimm-eh') for 'Matey' and 'Ach' for 'Arg', and you're well on your way.

Got my vote.....

I agree.

Archived