Will Muschamp (Combined Thread)

Potatooooooes!!

So, to rein the thread back in, I was wondering the strategy behind a possible replacement to Boom (maybe this belongs in the other thread on him, but honestly, there have been so many that I don't even know so feel free to move). There were rumors last year from some that Garner was upset for not being in consideration for the DC job. IF that is true, it would seem to present quite a tight-rope job for Gus. Say he offers it to T-Rob? Does Garner feel slighted again and leave? And vice versa, in promoting Garner, do we lose T-Rob (I'm guessing probably). And if we get someone on the outside, do we lose both of them? Does anyone have strong feelings either way? I just feel things could possibly set up for an entire defensive coaching shakeup going into what I believe is a partial must-win situation for Malzahn. That would be bad. Wow, Auburn football, am I right? From complete trust and optimism to possible calamity and despair in 365 days.

This is our meltdown thread. Here's your hiring strategy thread.

But the normal rules don't apply to meltdown threads, so I'd take TRob over Garner every day and twice on Sunday Saturday.

And yes, you are right. Nobody do it like we do.

Why Trob ? He's been a position coach only. What are his qualifications to become a DC ?

RG has been an AHC for 10 years, recruiting coordinator for 15. DLine coach for 15+ years.

What's on Trob's resume' that would advance him before RG ?

I just want to understand your reasoning. Not picking a fight. Just sell him on his credentials, please.

Thanks.

WDE !!!

He's a Muschamp protege, he can keep the Muschamp philosophy going.

If the rumors are true that Muschamp and Durkin are considering him for the position, they must think awfully high of him.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, to rein the thread back in, I was wondering the strategy behind a possible replacement to Boom (maybe this belongs in the other thread on him, but honestly, there have been so many that I don't even know so feel free to move). There were rumors last year from some that Garner was upset for not being in consideration for the DC job. IF that is true, it would seem to present quite a tight-rope job for Gus. Say he offers it to T-Rob? Does Garner feel slighted again and leave? And vice versa, in promoting Garner, do we lose T-Rob (I'm guessing probably). And if we get someone on the outside, do we lose both of them? Does anyone have strong feelings either way? I just feel things could possibly set up for an entire defensive coaching shakeup going into what I believe is a partial must-win situation for Malzahn. That would be bad. Wow, Auburn football, am I right? From complete trust and optimism to possible calamity and despair in 365 days.

This is our meltdown thread. Here's your hiring strategy thread.

But the normal rules don't apply to meltdown threads, so I'd take TRob over Garner every day and twice on Sunday Saturday.

And yes, you are right. Nobody do it like we do.

Why Trob ? He's been a position coach only. What are his qualifications to become a DC ?

RG has been an AHC for 10 years, recruiting coordinator for 15. DLine coach for 15+ years.

What's on Trob's resume' that would advance him before RG ?

I just want to understand your reasoning. Not picking a fight. Just sell him on his credentials, please.

Thanks.

WDE !!!

He's a Muschamp protege, he can keep the Muschamp philosophy going.

If the rumors are true that Muschamp and Durkin are considering him for the position, they must think awfully high of him.

Yep. And even if TRob was a placeholder to keep the current recruiting relationships intact and going through next bowl season, that would be a good thing IMO.

So Muschamp is looking to hire Lattimore a kid still, who has never coached. Gotta see this to believe it.

There's a lot of jobs in football that don't require coaching.

So Muschamp is looking to hire Lattimore a kid still, who has never coached. Gotta see this to believe it.

For instance Auburn's offensive coordinator....

The melt on this thread is almost comical. If Muschamp leaves, one poster equates that to SMU going on the death penalty. Here's the facts. Muschamp will either go or stay. Auburn will continue to play football next year. Next year we will be either (A) An awesome team (B) A pretty good team © An average team ((D) suck Balls

The sun will Still come up and the world will go on

Is there any truth to that or are people just throwing that out because Lattimore started following him on Twitter? Has Lattimore ever expressed even a remote interest in coaching?

Is there any truth to that or are people just throwing that out because Lattimore started following him on Twitter? Has Lattimore ever expressed even a remote interest in coaching?

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article47963460.html

The melt on this thread is almost comical. If Muschamp leaves, one poster equates that to SMU going on the death penalty. Here's the facts. Muschamp will either go or stay. Auburn will continue to play football next year. Next year we will be either (A) An awesome team ( B) A pretty good team © An average team ((D) suck Balls

Well, I'm hoping it isn't D anyway. :-\

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article47963460.html

So no real sources.

http://www.thestate....le47963460.html

So no real sources.

So true....bwaaa haaa haaa (the state.....al.com of SC).

As South Carolina’s coaching search heats up, at least one candidate thinks he has a very good shot at landing the job.

Will Muschamp offered former star running back Marcus Lattimore a job on his future staff at USC on Thursday, according to sources close to Lattimore. The capacity of the position wasn’t defined, and Lattimore is still weighing the offer, but Muschamp apparently wants Lattimore around.

Muschamp also told Lattimore that he has been in contact with USC President Harris Pastides. The source said that Pastides implied to Muschamp that “they’re going to try to get this thing done as soon as possible.”

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article47963460.html#storylink=cpy

Will Muschamp reaching out to several folks with South Carolina ties, including Ellis Johnson, compiling names for potential staff.

12:53 PM - 4 Dec 2015

That's not to say Will Muschamp is bringing Ellis Johnson aboard. That's just to say Muschamp is working hard to find some SC ties for staff

12:59 PM - 4 Dec 2015

classic :rimshot:

As South Carolina’s coaching search heats up, at least one candidate thinks he has a very good shot at landing the job.

Will Muschamp offered former star running back Marcus Lattimore a job on his future staff at USC on Thursday, according to sources close to Lattimore. The capacity of the position wasn’t defined, and Lattimore is still weighing the offer, but Muschamp apparently wants Lattimore around.

Muschamp also told Lattimore that he has been in contact with USC President Harris Pastides. The source said that Pastides implied to Muschamp that “they’re going to try to get this thing done as soon as possible.”

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article47963460.html#storylink=cpy

Will Muschamp reaching out to several folks with South Carolina ties, including Ellis Johnson, compiling names for potential staff.

12:53 PM - 4 Dec 2015

That's not to say Will Muschamp is bringing Ellis Johnson aboard. That's just to say Muschamp is working hard to find some SC ties for staff

12:59 PM - 4 Dec 2015

Ellis Johnson? Is it April already?

Ouch. Well played.

Marcus Lattimore. Gamecock legend. Still young enough to relate well to recruits. Proof that a South Carolina kid can get drafted even on one leg. Grew up 90 minutes from Columbia. Why on earth would South Carolina want him on staff?

Also, I'd find out what the offer was before criticizing it.

@JOXRoundtable: On show: @TravHaneyESPN SCarolina AD had his eye on Muschamp or Smart for a longtime; expects Will Muschamp to be coach "next 2 or 3 days"

I presume they are waiting on the buyout clause to end.

Buyout clause is already moot.

“Muschamp only owes Auburn a buyout of $1 million if he leaves before the end of the regular season or the SEC Championship game on Dec. 5 if Auburn advances to Atlanta this season. After that, Muschamp is free to pursue other employment opportunities at no cost to him.”

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/07/details_of_will_muschamps_51_m.html (and underlines mine)

Ouch. Well played.

Marcus Lattimore. Gamecock legend. Still young enough to relate well to recruits. Proof that a South Carolina kid can get drafted even on one leg. Grew up 90 minutes from Columbia. Why on earth would South Carolina want him on staff?

Also, I'd find out what the offer was before criticizing it.

If it is a assistant or some type of entry level position - then great. I just could not imagine Will hiring him as his primary RB coach - with zero experience.

So no real sources.

Exactly

All of these reports of Muschamp offering Lattimore a job reeks of desperation on Muschamp's part. JMHO

Or intelligent posturing. I know we haven't seen that at AU in awhile, but I can respect it when it does happen.

The melt on this thread is almost comical. If Muschamp leaves, one poster equates that to SMU going on the death penalty. Here's the facts. Muschamp will either go or stay. Auburn will continue to play football next year. Next year we will be either (A) An awesome team ( B) A pretty good team © An average team ((D) suck Balls

A whole new image for deflate gate

A whole new image for deflate gate

Nccs0rNvVC1nG.gif

http://www.thestate....le47963460.html

So no real sources.

Exactly

Let me connect the dots for you.

Lattimore follows Muschamp on twitter

A fan picks up on this and determines that means Muschamp is going to USC

It ends up on the message boards

A reporter sees it and thinks "there's my next story to fill my quota"

He calls someone remotely connected to Lattimore and asks a couple of leading questions to get the answers he wants

Story is written

People believe it

Not a bad plan...Lattimore is a good guy, a huge Gamecock fan, well respected at USCe, known all over the state and would be a good GA for someone. His NFL career was over before it began.....so why not offer him something ? Makes sense to me at least.

Archived