Will Muschamp (Combined Thread)

Potatooooooes!!

Side topic. Anyone remember the name of the bar on Wire Rd that was in the same building as the laundromat? It was before you got to the Duck if driving away from campus.

Man, I hope somebody answers you about this. I'm so embarrassed, because I actually lived in the house next door for a summer. And what a summer it was.

I think it was called something and suds. Brew and Suds???

Bubbles and Brew

Might have been.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Side topic. Anyone remember the name of the bar on Wire Rd that was in the same building as the laundromat? It was before you got to the Duck if driving away from campus.

Man, I hope somebody answers you about this. I'm so embarrassed, because I actually lived in the house next door for a summer. And what a summer it was.

Bubbles and Brew

Might have been.

Wait... I think it was called Champs.

Not. Going. Anywhere.

If he does, will you admit you have no objectivity?

wde

As long as you're ready to eat crow if he doesn't lol.

I have never said he is definitely gone.

wde

Muschamp also talked about changing the culture at AU after the LSU debacle. Changing a culture is hard if one is not in the position to change it.

wde

BINGO! Changing the culture of Gus' program means the existing culture has been allowed under Gus. It's probably tough for a former HC turned DC to come in and see that there are glarring issues with player attitude/work ethic, and the inner workings of a program. Muschamp is in no position to change the culture of how Gus operates his program, he only has jurisdiction over "his" players and how he prepares them to play ball. Just like the blow up on the sidelines last Saturday.....Refs have to deal with head coaches screaming, cursing, and riding their ass, they do NOT have to take that crap from an assistant.

Maybe WM is having a tougher time adjusting to not being the head man in charge? Other HC failures (Chizik/Kiffin) seem to be able to manage it ok.

Free read from PM.

This has Jay Jacobs written all over it.

It should be clear that Muschamp is not totally satisfied. It has nothing to do with money. It has nothing to do with quarterbacks or play calls or even wins or losses. It has to do with more internal things, the operations side of the football program.

Muschamp and Malzahn are not enemies or anything close to it. There is no personal animosity involved.

Muschamp's family is extremely happy in Auburn, and they played a major role in his decision to take the job last December. The question is whether Malzahn can do enough of what Muschamp wants to make him comfortable staying. Should he? It is, after all, Malzahn's program.

"The question is whether Malzahn can do enough of what Muschamp wants to make him comfortable staying. Should he? It is, after all, Malzahn's program".

Did you miss the above sentence? No mention of anyone other than Gus needing to allow WM to do what he wants. This says nothing at all about JJ. It's whether Gus wants to allow WM to change some philosophies on recruiting and staff building. This is evident by the very text you quoted to claim its on JJ.

If you know that much, tell us all. As listed above: is it Certain Recruits they disagree on? Grades? Player Behavior?

Is it Gardner?

Who is Gardner?

I thought the passion he has shown this year especially the last few weeks was displaying that he was ingrained in his work here. Not gonna join the meltdown unless something drastic happens. We know he's interviewing but again last year he was "confirmed" to South Carolina so just wait and see.

Maybe WM is having a tougher time adjusting to not being the head man in charge? Other HC failures (Chizik/Kiffin) seem to be able to manage it ok.

Our defense is light years better today than it was in August. Muschamp did a damn good job this season. And the only culture problem was on his side of the ball, and he went a long way towards fixing it.

Look at who our best players are on defense: Lawson, Adams, a sophomore, a bunch of freshmen and McKinzy, who Muschamp finally found a natural position for. Muschamp is building something.

And y'all please just hush about the 15 yard penalty. My God. Leave that crap to hack journalists and knuckle dragging rivals. Muschamp's fire is exactly what makes him stellar defensive coordinator and what makes blue chip talent line up to run through brick walls for him. Dude was sticking up for his players and they love him for it.

Bubbles and Brew

Might have been.

My brother lived in the trailers behind it. I thought it was the Pour House

How do we find our past posts outside of the most recent 5 posts? I'm interested in seeing what exactly I wrote about Gus' hire because its looking increasingly closer and closer to confirming what the red flags were all about.

Player attitude/culture that Chiz allowed and not having a 100% clean break of that. I mean Gus was here as it festered.

His history of not handling player disclipline properly

Gus having no experience at a high level as a HC and only ONE season at a mid-major....where he lost more games than his predecessor

Hiring freaking unqualified Lashlee as OC

:/

How do we find our past posts outside of the most recent 5 posts? I'm interested in seeing what exactly I wrote about Gus' hire because its looking increasingly closer and closer to confirming what the red flags were all about.

Player attitude/culture that Chiz allowed and not having a 100% clean break of that. I mean Gus was here as it festered.

Gus having no experience at a high level as a HC

LOL

You want help finding ammo for an 'I-told-you-so'?

My understanding is that Muschamp's contract has no buyout. Is this true ? And, WHY ?

Because he wouldn't have come here otherwise is my guess.

And that's the rub of it. He's not Saban. Saban may not have a buyout but he commits to build the program. Muschamp on the other hand......well, he's committed to the next opportunity. I didn't like how the negotiation was mysteriously protracted last season and now we pay the consequences.

I'll float the idea again. Make RG DC and double his salary. He'll be a stable choice with experience. He wants to be here. Would he want the job ? No clue here.

And while we're at it, pay off Lashlee and make DC the only OC. He's another long-termer. He has a better track record and knows the system. It would be a good transition. Would he be interested ? No clue.

RG and DC both have the chops to improve those positions.

Edit: Our program needs immediate stability.

Is that the main quality you want in your DC? That he really wants to stay here for a long time? I'd prefer a guy who knows how to coach. What makes you think Garner can actually field a good defense? (I'm less concerned about our OC as long as Gus is running the show. I think too much has been made about playcalling this year, but this is a Muschamp thread.)

And I gotta say, I'm really scratching my head at your comments about Saban and Muschamp. Saban was the ultimate job hopper until bama offered him a historic amount of money and a nation of mouth breathers lined up from state line to state line, happily on their knees and ready to do whatever The Almighty Short and Powerful One demanded of them. bama did what it took to get the best. So did Auburn. Even if he leaves now, we're in better shape than we were and he did exactly what we paid him to do: he gave us a defense that was good enough to win the SEC. It's not his fault that his boss couldn't sustain success on the other side of the ball.

Stability in coaching positions is very important. I'd rather not have AU being the highlight of the coaching carousel at the end of each season for DC/OC.

What makes you think RG can't coach as DC ? He's our AHC and has a proven resume' for over 15 seasons. ****see post script

So far as the OC position, Gus is not running the show, if that's what you mean by play calling. On more than one occasion GM has stated that Lashlee has made the vast majority of the calls. The play calling has changed as has been mentioned in the Lashlee thread. I am very concerned that the offense is going backwards and Lashlee is in charge. JJ's passer rating improved his first two seasons from 195.7 to 201.4, FAR better than AJ McCarron's 151.2 when he was a comparable backup. JJ's passer rating this season is 126.4. I don't think Lashlee is developing him and I don't think a young man who exuded confidence for years suddenly lost his mojo. I'd rather have DC doing the job of OC and qb development. Lashlee is a glorified GA who grabbed onto Malzahn's career to launch himself. I don't think he'd stand elsewhere on his own as an OC in any other SEC school. He's known how to execute play calling for Malzahn as a GA, but on his own as OC I don't think he's succeeding, at all. Correct me if I'm wrong but what SEC team would take RL as an OC ?

So far as the Saban/Muschamp staying capacity, Saban has remained at each of his last 3 jobs for at least 4-5 seasons before landing in Turdville and he's been there for 9 seasons. Browns- 4 seasons; MSU- 5 seasons; LSU- 5 seasons; UpDykes- 9 seasons.

On the other hand, Mushchamp more recently was at UT for 3 seasons, UF for 4 and that's it. He's a mover. Good coach, but a mover. HC is what he wants, so let him. Besides, apparently his contract has allowed him the perogative to move on at a whim. That's on Jacobs.

I agree that Muschamp has improved our program but what good does it do if he's gone after 1 or 2 seasons ? Who's next ? And after that, who's next ? And then....... ? GM is an offensive coach so the carryover of improvements from one DC to the next is not maintained, only stagnant at best.

The AU program needs solid coaches at DC and OC who want to be here long term. RG and DC both fit that profile.

WDE !!!

PS:

Garner was part of the 2005 Georgia team that finished 8th nationally in scoring defense (16.4 ppg). He also was part of the 2003 SEC Eastern Division Champion Bulldog defense that finished 2nd nationally in scoring defense (14.5 ppg), 4th in total defense (276.86 ypg), 6th in passing defense (174.50 ypg, 1st in the SEC),14th nationally in turnover margin (+.79), and 4th in number of scoreless quarters (25) among the AP's final Top Ten teams. He helped coach the 2002 Bulldog defense that finished first in the SEC and fourth nationally in scoring defense (15.1 ppg), first in the SEC in red zone defense (58.8%), second in the SEC in rushing defense (114.0 ypg), and allowed only 31 second half points in the final seven games of the season. The 2002 Bulldogs finished 13-1, won the SEC and Nokia Sugar Bowl Championships, and were ranked third in the final national polls.

I would venture to guess that I would have been ejected from that game for the way I would have been talking the refs after seeing no holding penalties all afternoon. Time to stop over reacting to one penalty that most agree with Will on IMO

Bubbles and Brew

Might have been.

That's it!

LOL

hahaha more interested in seeing what my "vocal" opinion was at the time as opposed to looking at it in hindsight. I'm not Cole always looking to tell ppl I was right lolol just jokes

LOL

More interested in seeing what my "vocal" opinion was at the time as opposed to looking at it in hindsight. I'm not Cole always looking to tell ppl I was right lolol just jokes

I think it's homersapien who's kind of a savant at finding old posts over on the Political Forum. You might PM him and ask for the secret.

Bubbles and Brew

Might have been.

I imagine it changed names about a million times. I was down there two years, '97-'99 and didn't do anything fun the first year. Girlfriend from home followed me down there and it was a drag. She moved back home after a year and I had a blast after that spending most nights in Champs, the Duck and Finks.

I would honestly be willing to bet that it has less to do with recruiting and more to do with the constant input into the program from people who are not on staff... like certain former coaches and members of the board. If Will can get that fixed, his next steak dinner is on me.

Folks with good reputations around here have said that this is exactly what has hampered every DC since Tubs left (it's telling that Tubs had such a contentious relationship with the PTB). It was also said that Muschamp addressed this before agreeing to come on board. Looking at the product on the field this season, it doesn't seem to me that he suffered from whatever afflicted Johnson, Van Gorder and Roof. So I'm skeptical right now of the "meddling" theory.

The on field "meddling" may have been quelled, but all you have to do is hang around Auburn during the season and you see that they are still lurking in the background, making their presence known. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were still trying to direct certain things not related to the actual games.

That's it!

Thanks goodness, that was killing me! Actually got sandwiches there more than drinks, since the drinks were so much cheaper next door :)

LOL

hahaha more interested in seeing what my "vocal" opinion was at the time as opposed to looking at it in hindsight. I'm not Cole always looking to tell ppl I was right lolol just jokes

Well to do that first you'd have to be bold and stand your ground when you have an unpopular opinion, then you have to be able to endure ridicule when everybody is against you, THEN and most importantly you'd have to be right....the last part is where you'd have to take a seat.... :)

Bubbles and Brew

Might have been.

Was it Fat Daddies?

I would honestly be willing to bet that it has less to do with recruiting and more to do with the constant input into the program from people who are not on staff... like certain former coaches and members of the board. If Will can get that fixed, his next steak dinner is on me.

Folks with good reputations around here have said that this is exactly what has hampered every DC since Tubs left (it's telling that Tubs had such a contentious relationship with the PTB). It was also said that Muschamp addressed this before agreeing to come on board. Looking at the product on the field this season, it doesn't seem to me that he suffered from whatever afflicted Johnson, Van Gorder and Roof. So I'm skeptical right now of the "meddling" theory.

The on field "meddling" may have been quelled, but all you have to do is hang around Auburn during the season and you see that they are still lurking in the background, making their presence known. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were still trying to direct certain things not related to the actual games.

10-4. I certainly am not around the program or campus, so I'm willing to listen to anybody who is.

LOL

More interested in seeing what my "vocal" opinion was at the time as opposed to looking at it in hindsight. I'm not Cole always looking to tell ppl I was right lolol just jokes

I think it's homersapien who's kind of a savant at finding old posts over on the Political Forum. You might PM him and ask for the secret.

Thanks. I'm never one to celebrate an "I told you so" as I always feel more comfortable making fun of the fact in me being off base on things. If you can't laugh at yourself who can ya laugh at?

Archived