Will Muschamp (Combined Thread)

Potatooooooes!!

Can someone please enlighten me as to why (if true) why Muschamp is not happy at AU? He called the shots when he was hired or am I wrong on that? Is JJ really that bad as AD?

I'd like to know, as well. There's chatter out there about Boom not being happy about 'organizational issues' and Gus prioritizing the offense. But that's all too vague for me. Would love for someone to fill it in.

If Muschamp is not happy with the meddling of Jay or Gus (if that is even happening, I am hearing he has complete control of the defense) he will definitely not like working for Saban or Smart as a DC. The only justification for him leaving would be for a good HC job. I wish him luck if that is the case.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is more bullsh** in this thread than can be found in an Iowa feedlot. Do a lot of you have bammer neighbors that tell you lies about Auburn and then you run here and repeat them as fact? Why do you believe the same liars that had us giving Cam 180,000 dollars?

One thing I learned in my classes at Auburn was to be skeptical of unlikely statements. Did so many of you miss that part of your Auburn education?

I was at Auburn in the Terry Bowden days and don't remember talking about any of this stuff. Never heard rumors, never cared about the inner workings of the athletic department or football program. On the same token you had to choose whether you were going to talk on the phone or check your email.

One thing I will say about this meltdown is the continuing mention of "culture change" is disturbing to me. I can't help but wonder if Jay Jacobs' spiel of "the best student athlete experience...." plays a part in that. Hate to tie it in, but I wonder if Golloway's firing is a part of that and molly coddling our kids. I could be way off base of course.

Last thought: IF Muschamp makes a lateral move its a major embarrassment to the program and one that should cause quite a bit of self critique. If that doesn't happen, it's overhaul time in the AD.

I think your on course and I've been thinking this for a while now. In trying to find a common thread through the ups and downs of the football program in the past decade+ and general mediocrity in the athletic department as a whole, you have to look at the top guy and wonder how he could affect this. Personally I think he's made some good hires but something goes missing. No edge. Coaches come in who have successful elsewhere and fall flat at AU. Did they forget how to coach? I think they've been influenced by the head guy to act a certain way and recruit a certain kind of player that won't make waves and portray the "True Auburn Man" image above all else. So coaches get frustrated, players get underdeveloped, and a lot of losses pile up along the way.

That's my opinion from afar.

Just wondering....is there even a scintilla of evidence to support this theory? Otherwise, IMO it's beyond logical considering we played in two national championship games in the past 5 years. Who dreams this stuff up?

Can someone please enlighten me as to why (if true) why Muschamp is not happy at AU? He called the shots when he was hired or am I wrong on that? Is JJ really that bad as AD?

I'd like to know, as well. There's chatter out there about Boom not being happy about 'organizational issues' and Gus prioritizing the offense. But that's all too vague for me. Would love for someone to fill it in.

If Muschamp is not happy with the meddling of Jay or Gus (if that is even happening, I am hearing he has complete control of the defense) he will definitely not like working for Saban or Smart as a DC. The only justification for him leaving would be for a good HC job. I wish him luck if that is the case.

I agree -- if he gets the USCe job, I don't begrudge him that at all.

The stuff I'm reading about regarding 'organizational issues' is so vague as to lack any positive content. However, some have said it's NOT about coaching staff changes or meddling with D coaching. So, I have no clue what it IS about. Just guessing: how many players CWM is allowed to recruit, how many visits he's allowed to make, which territories which coaches cover?

The stuff I'm reading about regarding 'organizational issues' is so vague as to lack any positive content. However, some have said it's NOT about coaching staff changes or meddling with D coaching. So, I have no clue what it IS about. Just guessing: how many players CWM is allowed to recruit, how many visits he's allowed to make, which territories which coaches cover?

For Muschamp's sake, I kind of hope he DOES get the HC job at USCe. If he doesn't, and makes a lateral move he will be the most hated man in Auburn after Updyke.

Agreed.

I've told my UGA friend here at work that if Muschamp makes a lateral move to UGA, I might have to hit the eject button until Jacobs is gone. That would demonstrate to me that there are very real, very bad cracks in the foundation that my support of Auburn Athletics, however inconsequential, is only fostering. If Muschamp accepts a promotion at a program like USC- one that is strong, even if not the behemoth and pressure cooker that UF is- then he can't be blamed and Auburn doesn't necessarily need to be blamed for 'not keeping him happy'.

Of course, how Auburn hypothetically reacts to his hypothetical departure will hypothetically be paramount.

For Muschamp's sake, I kind of hope he DOES get the HC job at USCe. If he doesn't, and makes a lateral move he will be the most hated man in Auburn after Updyke.

My hate would be directed at his current boss(es).

According to Cubelic, "buckle your seatbelt" if Muschamp isn't named at USCe.

What does that mean?

Nothing. Your namesake is getting very good at being a mainstream sports media guy.

Could be but CWM is more a less a vagabond....has worked 5 jobs in ten years...moved laterally away from AU when he went to Texas....have people forgotten that? and then moved down to come back here? Who knows what goes on in his mind ? It just bothers me that he is being given the "free pass " in this situation ....as if he's somehow justified in looking around...and people at AU are the cause. I don't understand this mentality..... :dunno:

Who is to say he wasn't happy? He might just see a better opportunity at USCe as an HC. Now, if he goes to Bama or UGA as DC, then we have another discussion.

Here is my opinion....Will came in to turn things around. He did not come in to rebuild. I can't ever remember having so little talent on D. Our most consistent player was a true freshman who came here because of Will. I think he wants out before his reputation takes a bigger hit. We are still a few good recruiting classes away from having a solid D. UGA and bama are loaded on D.

I was at Auburn in the Terry Bowden days and don't remember talking about any of this stuff. Never heard rumors, never cared about the inner workings of the athletic department or football program. On the same token you had to choose whether you were going to talk on the phone or check your email.

You never heard about the stuff because social media was a good 20 years away

You just weren't in the right place at the right time. I was there too and just happened to know someone who had direct connection to people on the board. There was a soap opera going on behind the scenes when Terry was sent packing.

I was too busy scraping out a D in physics to worry about it. After the D in physics it was too many frozen 151 drinks in Finks and trying not to get caught on the way home since I had a long drive out near the vet school.

Side topic. Anyone remember the name of the bar on Wire Rd that was in the same building as the laundromat? It was before you got to the Duck if driving away from campus.

Who is to say he wasn't happy? He might just see a better opportunity at USCe as an HC. Now, if he goes to Bama or UGA as DC, then we have another discussion.

Here is my opinion....Will came in to turn things around. He did not come in to rebuild. I can't ever remember having so little talent on D. Our most consistent player was a true freshman who came here because of Will. I think he wants out before his reputation takes a bigger hit. We are still a few good recruiting classes away from having a solid D. UGA and bama are loaded on D.

He knew our roster before he signed on. Don't tell me he was taken back by our lack of depth.

I cannot imagine CWM was unhappy at AU. He had total control of the defense, got to bring in or hire two of his three assistants, and was working for an offensive minded coach who would not micromanage him. The only downside was he had a talent pool which had not been recruited to his system, and overall was not top level talent, and that meant a lot of development work.

On the negative, the size of the defensive challenge at AU meant 2015 was probably CWM's most challenging year as a DC. Also, the offensive implosion meant most of his success in improving AU's defense was for naught. Think about it, except for LSU, we held every team to under 30 points in regulation. We blew it against Arky in OT, but we did not have defensive depth. With the exception of Arky and LSU, for every loss we scored under 20 points.

It is possible Muschamp thought CGM didn't live up to his side of the deal. However, given CWM has had offensive problems as a head coach, he should understand that.

My understanding is that Muschamp's contract has no buyout. Is this true ? And, WHY ?

Because he wouldn't have come here otherwise is my guess.

And that's the rub of it. He's not Saban. Saban may not have a buyout but he commits to build the program. Muschamp on the other hand......well, he's committed to the next opportunity. I didn't like how the negotiation was mysteriously protracted last season and now we pay the consequences.

I'll float the idea again. Make RG DC and double his salary. He'll be a stable choice with experience. He wants to be here. Would he want the job ? No clue here.

And while we're at it, pay off Lashlee and make DC the only OC. He's another long-termer. He has a better track record and knows the system. It would be a good transition. Would he be interested ? No clue.

RG and DC both have the chops to improve those positions.

Edit: Our program needs immediate stability.

Side topic. Anyone remember the name of the bar on Wire Rd that was in the same building as the laundromat? It was before you got to the Duck if driving away from campus.

Man, I hope somebody answers you about this. I'm so embarrassed, because I actually lived in the house next door for a summer. And what a summer it was.

I'm no insider. I'm actually pretty bad at being a poster on this board. I bring no viable information nor do I agree with the majority of the crap on this board. However eventually Saudi has to look in the mirror after all the coaching changes and say MAYBE IT'S ME

That may be our problem...the Saudis are running the damn program!

Man, I hope somebody answers you about this. I'm so embarrassed, because I actually lived in the house next door for a summer. And what a summer it was.

I think it was a liquor store when I was there

First of all Muschamp is not in charge. And what did he do that was so grand when he was in charge at UF that would make him this grand know it all. He was a HC at a premier school in the best conference. He lost to Georgia Southern or some directional FCS school. Some of you say he was a QB away from being good, then what do you think plagued AU this season the most? By all indications Gus have Boom full range, he brought Trob, hired Lance whom he previously worked with, and WM himself coached Lbs, the only hold over was Garner. He is getting paid a tub load of money with not buyout after tomorrow. So what is Gus not allowing Will to do, oh I forgot letting him be HC. WM walked before and AU was just fine, if he walks again AU will still be fine. Some of you act like the program will be shutdown or fall of the face of the earth...he is only one coach and he did not break the mold on defensive coaching.

Free read from PM.

This has Jay Jacobs written all over it.

It should be clear that Muschamp is not totally satisfied. It has nothing to do with money. It has nothing to do with quarterbacks or play calls or even wins or losses. It has to do with more internal things, the operations side of the football program.

Muschamp and Malzahn are not enemies or anything close to it. There is no personal animosity involved.

Muschamp’s family is extremely happy in Auburn, and they played a major role in his decision to take the job last December. The question is whether Malzahn can do enough of what Muschamp wants to make him comfortable staying. Should he? It is, after all, Malzahn’s program.

First of all Muschamp is not in charge. And what did he do that was so grand when he was in charge at UF that would make him this grand know it all. He was a HC at a premier school in the best conference. He lost to Georgia Southern or some directional FCS school. Some of you say he was a QB away from being good, then what do you think plagued AU this season the most? By all indications Gus have Boom full range, he brought Trob, hired Lance whom he previously worked with, and WM himself coached Lbs, the only hold over was Garner. He is getting paid a tub load of money with not buyout after tomorrow. So what is Gus not allowing Will to do, oh I forgot letting him be HC. WM walked before and AU was just fine, if he walks again AU will still be fine. Some of you act like the program will be shutdown or fall of the face of the earth...he is only one coach and he did not break the mold on defensive coaching.

We didn't suggest that Boom is or should be the HC here. We are just asking about what is making him unhappy IF he is unhappy. We're not even suggesting he's unhappy. Maybe he just wants to be a HC again asap.

Nor did we suggest that the sky is falling.

I'd like to get another year out of him, but I'm not worried about having to replace him either. The next guy needs to be someone who is likely to be here for a few years before moving on....if he gets more than a year. :dunno:

My understanding is that Muschamp's contract has no buyout. Is this true ? And, WHY ?

Because he wouldn't have come here otherwise is my guess.

And that's the rub of it. He's not Saban. Saban may not have a buyout but he commits to build the program. Muschamp on the other hand......well, he's committed to the next opportunity. I didn't like how the negotiation was mysteriously protracted last season and now we pay the consequences.

I'll float the idea again. Make RG DC and double his salary. He'll be a stable choice with experience. He wants to be here. Would he want the job ? No clue here.

And while we're at it, pay off Lashlee and make DC the only OC. He's another long-termer. He has a better track record and knows the system. It would be a good transition. Would he be interested ? No clue.

RG and DC both have the chops to improve those positions.

Edit: Our program needs immediate stability.

Is that the main quality you want in your DC? That he really wants to stay here for a long time? I'd prefer a guy who knows how to coach. What makes you think Garner can actually field a good defense? (I'm less concerned about our OC as long as Gus is running the show. I think too much has been made about playcalling this year, but this is a Muschamp thread.)

And I gotta say, I'm really scratching my head at your comments about Saban and Muschamp. Saban was the ultimate job hopper until bama offered him a historic amount of money and a nation of mouth breathers lined up from state line to state line, happily on their knees and ready to do whatever The Almighty Short and Powerful One demanded of them. bama did what it took to get the best. So did Auburn. Even if he leaves now, we're in better shape than we were and he did exactly what we paid him to do: he gave us a defense that was good enough to win the SEC. It's not his fault that his boss couldn't sustain success on the other side of the ball.

Archived