Will Muschamp (Combined Thread)

Potatooooooes!!

I guess I don't understand all these possible "issues" about staff changes, recruiting, etc. CWM was not going to make a home at AU as the DC or he wouldn't have insisted on a "free pass" to leave after a year. And just wondering how much free rein do you give a guy to influence hiring and firing when he's not likely to be around to see the effects.

Perhaps folks are just groping around .....looking for some reasonable excuse to exonerate CWM for leaving after only one season....when maybe it's all about him....making unreasonable requests or not taking "no" from Gus on some issues.

Just sayin' that it seems that CWM is getting the complete benefit of the doubt here....and that everyone but him is at fault in some way.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the problem has to do with football operations, could it involve certain defensive position coaches and whether they are retained or not? I certainly don't know anymore than anyone, just asking your opinions?

Just gleaning from other places...it seems that's part of it, but it's also about our recruiting process, how we go about it, evaluate talent (particularly on defense). He wants to make some significant changes.

Now, whether he's getting pushback and wants to use this process as leverage or what, I'm not sure.

He's right. For goodness sake give him what he wants and let him lift the program. His sister is an AU alum and nephews are at AU. If not offered HC post, you would think he would stay unless there is a problem

Here is a solution that should work for everyone, let's just hire Tuberville back and fire all of our coaches. Go old school again where 2* recruits get drafted in the NFL. I am really starting to miss those days.

Great minds think alike! I posted that in the T-Rob thread. I bet Tubs would love to be back in Auburn.

Yeah, let's get the guy who has said publicly that he is much happier with less spotlight and had grown tired of the SEC pressure to come into the SEC now where the spotlight is twice as intense as it was when he left! That's the ticket right there for success! /sarcasm

Just remember this... Just last week, it was reported that Les Miles was most likely done at LSU... So I'll believe it when I see it instead of all these "sources" saying Muschamp is most likely gone

If the problem has to do with football operations, could it involve certain defensive position coaches and whether they are retained or not? I certainly don't know anymore than anyone, just asking your opinions?

Just gleaning from other places...it seems that's part of it, but it's also about our recruiting process, how we go about it, evaluate talent (particularly on defense). He wants to make some significant changes.

Now, whether he's getting pushback and wants to use this process as leverage or what, I'm not sure.

Muschamp also talked about changing the culture at AU after the LSU debacle. Changing a culture is hard if one is not in the position to change it.

wde

Gus was part of the Chizik culture...CWM may not be able to change anything. This is not a good sign, no other way to spin it.

I guess I don't understand all these possible "issues" about staff changes, recruiting, etc. CWM was not going to make a home at AU as the DC or he wouldn't have insisted on a "free pass" to leave after a year. And just wondering how much free rein do you give a guy to influence hiring and firing when he's not likely to be around to see the effects.

Perhaps folks are just groping around .....looking for some reasonable excuse to exonerate CWM for leaving after only one season....when maybe it's all about him....making unreasonable requests or not taking "no" from Gus on some issues.

Just sayin' that it seems that CWM is getting the complete benefit of the doubt here....and that everyone but him is at fault in some way.

Or could just be that Sexton is working this to the benefit of his client as he always does. Remember, follow the money...

Paul Rhodes it is...

I hope not. He did OK in 2008 after 2 years of Muschamp, but I would rather give TRob a shot.

wde

This, I feel like I'm one of the few on here that's on the Trob bandwagon. Everybody else expects to land a big name established DC which I do not see happening. Durkin already targeting him, USCe247 saying that a very high chance muschamp targets him for DC. If they think he's ready then why don't we take a shot? Instead of going to a new coach and a new system all over again. He's the best option we've got in my opinion. I personally think he has the potential the run a really nasty, man up, hard hitting defense. That's just guess on my part of what his style would be. Not to mention the advantages he gives us in recruiting. If Trob becomes established here and succeeds he will be almost unstoppable in recruiting and I personally think he could bring that old school "swagger" back

I'm with you on TRob.

If what PM writes is true:

I am convinced, now more than ever, that Gus is in over his head. I didn't think it was a good idea that he be hired back in 2012, and my fears are now coming to fruition.

Gus was not ready to be the head coach at Auburn... And it has nothing to do with 'on the field' issues.

Before AU, Gus never had to deal with big-time money. He never had to deal with big-time personalities, on staff. Gus has never had to deal with big-time boosters. He's never had to make the crucial decisions that big-time coaches are forced to make. Gus has never had to deal with in-your-face media (you can tell by his absolutely horrible press conferences). He's never Been forced to deal with the other side of the ball (defense)... And most importantly, Gus has never had to deal with big-time expectations!

The SEC is not the place for on-the-job training. There is no patients when it comes to SEC football.

In Gus' case, winning in 2013 might've done more harm than good. There was nowhere to go, but down.

This is a pivotal off-season for Gus. He is gonna have to show some leadership, now more than ever. He can't afford to be stubborn. He has to make some important hires, and fires!

I hope Gus is up to the task. I truly hope he proves me wrong... More importantly, I just hope in 12 short monthes we're not in the midst of a coaching search for the 3rd time in 8 years...

I am convinced, now more than ever, that Gus is in over his head. I didn't think it was a good idea that he be hired back in 2012, and my fears are now coming to fruition.

Gus was not ready to be the head coach at Auburn... And it has nothing to do with 'on the field' issues.

Before AU, Gus never had to deal with big-time money. He never had to deal with big-time personalities, on staff. Gus has never had to deal with big-time boosters. He's never had to make the crucial decisions that big-time coaches are forced to make. Gus has never had to deal with in-your-face media (you can tell by his absolutely horrible press conferences). He's never Been forced to deal with the other side of the ball (defense)... And most importantly, Gus has never had to deal with big-time expectations!

The SEC is not the place for on-the-job training. There is no patients when it comes to SEC football.

In Gus' case, winning in 2013 might've done more harm than good. There was nowhere to go, but down.

This is a pivotal off-season for Gus. He is gonna have to show some leadership, now more than ever. He can't afford to be stubborn. He has to make some important hires, and fires!

I hope Gus is up to the task. I truly hope he proves me wrong... More importantly, I just hope in 12 short monthes we're not in the midst of a coaching search for the 3rd time in 8 years...

You got all that from PMs sourceless no info article? Alrighty then.

Exactly

Problems, off the field... stubborness.

Get your head out of the sand!

Muschamp also talked about changing the culture at AU after the LSU debacle. Changing a culture is hard if one is not in the position to change it.

wde

Gus was part of the Chizik culture...CWM may not be able to change anything. This is not a good sign, no other way to spin it.

What is not a good sign? Unsubstantiated rumors about something that hasn't even happened? No need to spin. It hasn't even happened. Good grief this board may implode soon.

wde

What is not a good sign? Unsubstantiated rumors about something that hasn't even happened? No need to spin. It hasn't even happened. Good grief this board may implode soon.

Implosion is imminent

Problems, off the field... stubborness.

Get your head out of the sand!

Problems off the field? Because 1 player had issues? Name these "problems" that are worse than anywhere else please. I believe we've actually had less problems than most places the last year.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I would mind CWM being the head coach. I actually think he was really close to having a great team at FL if he just had a QB.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I would mind CWM being the head coach. I actually think he was really close to having a great team at FL if he just had a QB.

I wouldn't either. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it wouldn't bother me.

The problem was he pulled a Les Miles, in other words he tried to make a pocket passer out of a DT QB

wde

It already imploded.

If he says, do you think that would be the reason? :dunno:

If he is patient, he may well be. Then I think of Jay Jacobs. Hasn't there been problems between JJ and WM in the past? Just asking. Back then we didn't have all this internet stuff to keep up on a moment to moment basis.

I think he will make a really good HC one of these days. I just don't think he is ready yet. Some guys just aren't cut out for being a HC. Look at Chiz. He failed miserably as a HC.....here and ISU. I thought that college O's had passed him by. Well, shows what I know. Look at what he is doing at UNC.

This whole situation.....Jimmy Sexton at his best, making money where money can be made.

He's great at it.

I'd be fine with him going to USCe and honing his HC skills a little better then if we were to have an opening in a year or so.......I like CGM, but I just have this feeling that he is in over his head. Or there are other factors in the football program causing issue and if that is the case any HC is doomed.

Archived