Will Muschamp (Combined Thread)

Potatooooooes!!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For anyone who truly wants to accept some dose of reality. augolf has made his opinion known over the past few weeks in several threads.

wde

Paul Rhodes it is...

Well, his D at Auburn was pretty good - 3-2. Golf, I'm looking at you ... ;)

Paul Rhodes it is...

I hope not. He did OK in 2008 after 2 years of Muschamp, but I would rather give TRob a shot.

wde

Gus has had one bad year of O in his college career. It sucked, but it is fixable. Mushamp's struggle was not with scheme, but with talent. I believe he see's that it will be a few recruiting class fix. He may not want to wait that long. Ellis Johnson recruited poorly for Muschamp's system. Heck, Ellis Johnson recruited poorly for his system. We will never ever sustain success at Auburn if we jump ship at the first bad season a coach has. Chiz's team quit on him. This team did not quit on Gus. Two very different things.

This. The proof of the defensive personnel issues is the fact we went through Spring with a rough starting 11, only to completely rework the secondary in the fall, only to completly rework the LBs in the first half of the season. CWM had to dump portions of his defensive playbook because it was too complicated for our talent.

On the offense, we had a complete implosion of the passing game with JJ's problems, DW's issues, and the other WRs not performing. That passing game was critical for the offense this year after losing Nick Marshall, CAP, and Cory Grant.

We need consistency on defense in philosophy, system, scheme, and recruiting for the next couple of years to build a defense. During Tubberville's era, the DC office had a revolving door, but the philosophy, system, scheme, and recruiting were consistent.

Gus has had one bad year of O in his college career. It sucked, but it is fixable. Mushamp's struggle was not with scheme, but with talent. I believe he see's that it will be a few recruiting class fix. He may not want to wait that long. Ellis Johnson recruited poorly for Muschamp's system. Heck, Ellis Johnson recruited poorly for his system. We will never ever sustain success at Auburn if we jump ship at the first bad season a coach has. Chiz's team quit on him. This team did not quit on Gus. Two very different things.

This. The proof of the defensive personnel issues is the fact we went through Spring with a rough starting 11, only to completely rework the secondary in the fall, only to completly rework the LBs in the first half of the season. CWM had to dump portions of his defensive playbook because it was too complicated for our talent.

On the offense, we had a complete implosion of the passing game with JJ's problems, DW's issues, and the other WRs not performing. That passing game was critical for the offense this year after losing Nick Marshall, CAP, and Cory Grant.

We need consistency on defense in philosophy, system, scheme, and recruiting for the next couple of years to build a defense. During Tubberville's era, the DC office had a revolving door, but the philosophy, system, scheme, and recruiting were consistent.

^This. Thanks meh130, you said it well.

For anyone who truly wants to accept some dose of reality. augolf has made his opinion known over the past few weeks in several threads.

wde

Could you point me in the direction of those posts you are referring to. Not doubting you, I would just like to read what he has to say. Thanks in advance.

If CWM takes usc job, I understand it, but he will have to do what no one else but one of the best coaches in SEC history has ever done and win there or he's a two-time loser . He will be a DC the rest of his life . Not bad if you can do it. I also understand leaving Auburn with the dumpster fire of an o that we have now. However the long play would be to wait it out and get the HEAD coaching job at Auburn which should come up next year. We are a SEC team that wins. My opinion he's making short-term money for a long term mistake

Here is a solution that should work for everyone, let's just hire Tuberville back and fire all of our coaches. Go old school again where 2* recruits get drafted in the NFL. I am really starting to miss those days.

Free read from PM.

Thanks for posting. As usual, PM has absolutely nothing to add whatsoever. He makes his money these days off of regurgitation. I think his sources these days consist of Twitter and facebook. When he quotes "people close to the program" now instead of actual members of the program, we pretty much know he means a booster which likely doesn't know much of anything of real info inside the program. PMs sources dried up when Tubs left and seem to have never returned.

Here is a solution that should work for everyone, let's just hire Tuberville back and fire all of our coaches. Go old school again where 2* recruits get drafted in the NFL. I am really starting to miss those days.

Don't get me wrong, I miss Tuberville many days, but I'm already preparing to trademark "Les Is Best" for 2017 so you're kinda posing a risk to my profits lol...

If the problem has to do with football operations, could it involve certain defensive position coaches and whether they are retained or not? I certainly don't know anymore than anyone, just asking your opinions?

Don't get me wrong, I miss Tuberville many days, but I'm already preparing to trademark "Les Is Best" for 2017 so you're kinda posing a risk to my profits lol...

Ha, nice!

If the problem has to do with football operations, could it involve certain defensive position coaches and whether they are retained or not? I certainly don't know anymore than anyone, just asking your opinions?

Just gleaning from other places...it seems that's part of it, but it's also about our recruiting process, how we go about it, evaluate talent (particularly on defense). He wants to make some significant changes.

Now, whether he's getting pushback and wants to use this process as leverage or what, I'm not sure.

Just gleaning from other places...it seems that's part of it, but it's also about our recruiting process, how we go about it, evaluate talent (particularly on defense). He wants to make some significant changes.

Now, whether he's getting pushback and wants to use this process as leverage or what, I'm not sure.

Muschamp also talked about changing the culture at AU after the LSU debacle. Changing a culture is hard if one is not in the position to change it.

wde

I'm still not sure what all that means (not a slap at you, Titan). Is Gus not giving Will free rein to evaluate the D recruits however he wants?

I've questioned some of our recruiting decisions and evaluations myself...it wasn't too popular of a thing to do on our recruiting board lol

Great minds think alike! I posted that in the T-Rob thread. I bet Tubs would love to be back in Auburn.

Great minds think alike! I posted that in the T-Rob thread. I bet Tubs would love to be back in Auburn.

I actually believe he would accept given the offer.

Paul Rhodes it is...

I hope not. He did OK in 2008 after 2 years of Muschamp, but I would rather give TRob a shot.

wde

This, I feel like I'm one of the few on here that's on the Trob bandwagon. Everybody else expects to land a big name established DC which I do not see happening. Durkin already targeting him, USCe247 saying that a very high chance muschamp targets him for DC. If they think he's ready then why don't we take a shot? Instead of going to a new coach and a new system all over again. He's the best option we've got in my opinion. I personally think he has the potential the run a really nasty, man up, hard hitting defense. That's just guess on my part of what his style would be. Not to mention the advantages he gives us in recruiting. If Trob becomes established here and succeeds he will be almost unstoppable in recruiting and I personally think he could bring that old school "swagger" back

Archived