Will Muschamp (Combined Thread)

Potatooooooes!!

Coaches have been coming and going at Au forever.....sometimes the HC or sometimes coordinators...but the school has not closed and we have not shut down the football program.....and the level of despair from some folks is hard to fathom.

I'm back to my original premise....CWM was a one year plan by Gus to win a championship THIS year. Didn't work .....too bad ...but I doubt Gus expected to have him past this year. If Gus actually believed an ambitious guy like CWM was going to play second fiddle more than a year, he was dreaming IMO.

Get off the ledge folks....we will have a team next season and I predict will have a better record too.

Not on the ledge, just tired of the roller coaster.

Oh yes....but this was almost a guaranteed outcome hiring CWM....former HC .....probably eager to be HC again.....we did this to ourselves....just have to roll with it and make the best of it....and hopefully get a decent DC who is not just polishing his resume' at our expense.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was admonished last night for quoting Travis Haney on what is come to the light today. The way I see it, if Muschamp leaves this soon for a lateral move, then there is, in all probability, trouble between him and Gus or the administration. Could it be related to his melt down on the sidelines in the bammer game?

Everything is pure speculation now. I don't care who it is coming from. That being said, I saw where Will wanted a staff change and that hasn't happened. Looks like it likely won't. Will was not happy about that.

???

Golf, do you know and the other mods what's going on in the program?

i have heard this from one big booster repeatedly, Gus and the priority on putting the best blocking receivers in the game and not the best talent has caused an uproar on the defensive side because they have to pay the price and the stubbornness of evolving the offense further detriments the D....

Probably some big booster opinion...what other talent was there behind the 4 that started?

Coaches have been coming and going at Au forever.....sometimes the HC or sometimes coordinators...but the school has not closed and we have not shut down the football program.....and the level of despair from some folks is hard to fathom.

I'm back to my original premise....CWM was a one year plan by Gus to win a championship THIS year. Didn't work .....too bad ...but I doubt Gus expected to have him past this year. If Gus actually believed an ambitious guy like CWM was going to play second fiddle more than a year, he was dreaming IMO.

Get off the ledge folks....we will have a team next season and I predict will have a better record too.

Not on the ledge, just tired of the roller coaster.

Oh yes....but this was almost a guaranteed outcome hiring CWM....former HC .....probably eager to be HC again.....we did this to ourselves....just have to roll with it and make the best of it....and hopefully get a decent DC who is not just polishing his resume' at our expense.

I know, and hopefully so did Gus.

Just feels like we've been wondering in the wilderness for the last 8 years with the D. Guess I'm to eager for a resolution.

One of these offseasons I'll be able to switch off the hard liquor and relax with a nice pint of Guinness...This offseason is not looking like that offseason. Oh well, looks like whichever way this goes, we won't find out until after Champ's interview tomorrow.

I don't think anyone in the know will speak. Perhaps it's best they don't. If there are major issues, clean house and start over. We may never recover, but it's a risk that may need to happen to have future sustainable success.

Gus has had one bad year of O in his college career. It sucked, but it is fixable. Mushamp's struggle was not with scheme, but with talent. I believe he see's that it will be a few recruiting class fix. He may not want to wait that long. Ellis Johnson recruited poorly for Muschamp's system. Heck, Ellis Johnson recruited poorly for his system. We will never ever sustain success at Auburn if we jump ship at the first bad season a coach has. Chiz's team quit on him. This team did not quit on Gus. Two very different things.

I agree with you. I'm just saying we need consistency, and it may hurt in the near term to get that.

I don't know about you, but I'm tired of the roller coaster that Auburn is on.

I am too. It may require a complete housecleaning not just of the coaches but in the athletic department too. We're kind of in no man's land right now. Gus is still learning what it takes to be a HC at this level. He may not be able to fix this. It was a risk to hire him but one worth taking. I believe that even if we have to change we will be OK.

Muschamp had left before and AU was just fine....I swear some of you need to back away from the ledge.

Not just about Muschamp, but the big picture.

I was admonished last night for quoting Travis Haney on what is come to the light today. The way I see it, if Muschamp leaves this soon for a lateral move, then there is, in all probability, trouble between him and Gus or the administration. Could it be related to his melt down on the sidelines in the bammer game?

Everything is pure speculation now. I don't care who it is coming from. That being said, I saw where Will wanted a staff change and that hasn't happened. Looks like it likely won't. Will was not happy about that.

] I'm still wanting an explanation for what I'm reading and where it came from.

Edit: Found it. Never mind

Muschamp had left before and AU was just fine....I swear some of you need to back away from the ledge.

What big picture? Just because a coach who has left before wants to leave again....we should all panic and go bat crazy. He left before and AU won a natty, two SEC titles, and was a Chris Davis pass break up away from another. Auburn will be fine. The one thing this program needs is consistency. This team played hard every game this season, and the only game that got away was the LSU game.

Hiring Johnson was a joke, much like this season has been.

I saw nothing funny about this season.

ESPN reporting USCe to interview Muschamp but also reporting they will interview Schiano and Rodriquez ( and already interviewed the interim coach and OU OC Riley). Lot of options and with the add of these guys, may mean several boosters have said look elsewhere besides Boom.

Muschamp has not stated anything one way or the other. Seems like he is keeping options open. May have been part of the reason he had a one-year open ended contract in anticipation he would only be one year and Gus has options that he is waiting to exercise. One option being Muschamp stays if he doesn't have an offer by a certain date.

] I'm still wanting an explanation for what I'm reading and where it came from.

i have heard this from one big booster repeatedly, Gus and the priority on putting the best blocking receivers in the game and not the best talent has caused an uproar on the defensive side because they have to pay the price and the stubbornness of evolving the offense further detriments the D....

Probably some big booster opinion...what other talent was there behind the 4 that started?

None. WR was the by far weakest position on the offense, talent wise. We just had no one that was highly ranked besides Duke, and he was ranked on his physical abilities, not on sure handedness.

ESPN reporting USCe to interview Muschamp but also reporting they will interview Schiano and Rodriquez ( and already interviewed the interim coach and OU OC Riley). Lot of options and with the add of these guys, may mean several boosters have said look elsewhere besides Boom.

Muschamp has not stated anything one way or the other. Seems like he is keeping options open. May have been part of the reason he had a one-year open ended contract in anticipation he would only be one year and Gus has options that he is waiting to exercise. One option being Muschamp stays if he doesn't have an offer by a certain date.

And maybe Gus is looking out for his program and recruiting and does not want to have his program held hostage by a wandering DC looking around. Muschamp knows he has a fall safe at many schools as a DC, and that makes for a tough employee to manage, not to mention he still getting bank from UF. He has too many marbles to play with and maybe Gus wants a commitment for next season and Will may be like whatever dude I got options....

What big picture? Just because a coach who has left before wants to leave again....we should all panic and go bat crazy. He left before and AU won a natty, two SEC titles, and was a Chris Davis pass break up away from another. Auburn will be fine. The one thing this program needs is consistency. This team played hard every game this season, and the only game that got away was the LSU game.

No one is panicking. I just remember how great we used to be on the defensive side of the ball and long to see it return. We need stability,but Auburn has been a revolving door lately.

I don't think anyone in the know will speak. Perhaps it's best they don't. If there are major issues, clean house and start over. We may never recover, but it's a risk that may need to happen to have future sustainable success.

Gus has had one bad year of O in his college career. It sucked, but it is fixable. Mushamp's struggle was not with scheme, but with talent. I believe he see's that it will be a few recruiting class fix. He may not want to wait that long. Ellis Johnson recruited poorly for Muschamp's system. Heck, Ellis Johnson recruited poorly for his system. We will never ever sustain success at Auburn if we jump ship at the first bad season a coach has. Chiz's team quit on him. This team did not quit on Gus. Two very different things.

Thank goodness someone else on here isn't in panic mode! Cheers WE10! I'm afraid our type is a dying breed on here lately.

Thank goodness someone else on here isn't in panic mode! Cheers WE10! I'm afraid our type is a dying breed on here lately.

I agree...good post

The Rich Rod thing makes me think USCe sees CWM as a fall-back, not a primary. My guess is they wanted KS, and UGA snatched him away. They then realized CWM might not be what they wanted, and have cast a wider net.

These decisions need to be made fast so all of the assitant pieces can be put into place fast. You don't want to have last pick of the available assistants, or you end up with Scot Loeffler.

I agree...good post

:laugh:

Archived