Will Muschamp (Combined Thread)

Potatooooooes!!

I don't have time to read this whole thread, so could someone please answer a couple questions for me? Are there any issues that would cause CWM to leave Au other than for another head coach job? I could understand that, but not leaving for another DC job. I especially couldn't understand going to be Lil Nicky's underling, that just makes my belly hurt. Are the media just jacking with folks?

If he leaves for a head coaching job, more power to him. If he leaves for a DC job at thUGA or UAT, I (many may disagree) take it as a damning of the current direction of our program. I don't know if the discord lies in the administration, coaching staff, or both, but if Will Muschamp becomes a DC at a different school, Auburn needs to stop pointing fingers at all the reasons why and look inward into the inner-workings of the department.

That is the source of my aching belly, like a kick in the gut.

There's no way he would make a lateral move. I don't think he takes a HC job either at this point, especially USCe.

Jay Tate over at Rivals is saying he's hearing something has changed. I don't know if this is a balls to the wall negotiating tactic (not sure what there is to negotiate other than possibly being able to hire a defensive line coach of his choosing and move Garner) or what. If it's serious that he'd make a lateral move though, screw him.

Exactly!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The smoke is building that Boom is gone. Things change fast in 18 hours. If it happens I don't think it's fair to condemn Gus until he's proven he couldn't handle the situation. But I know he'll be crucified regardless.

Have to say it but he is in charge of program so it's all going to fall on him.

The smoke is building that Boom is gone. Things change fast in 18 hours. If it happens I don't think it's fair to condemn Gus until he's proven he couldn't handle the situation. But I know he'll be crucified regardless.

Maybe ....but this is one I won't blame on Gus.....Muschamp is a noted hothead ....which also means impulsive....so you just never know...and meanwhile, the only persons with more ego than an 18 year old 5* HS kid is a coach who has a pretty good year.

And of course, if this were to happen Jay J would get the blame anyway. Gus is home free either way....JMO

This, if this falls apart it may be time to flip the entire thing.

I know.......but having a relationship with he and his family outside of sports makes it tough to swallow. He's a determined, loyal and compassionate man.

This, if this falls apart it may be time to flip the entire thing.

Maybe...but it's not happening in 2015.

Golf, do you know and the other mods what's going on in the program?

i have heard this from one big booster repeatedly, Gus and the priority on putting the best blocking receivers in the game and not the best talent has caused an uproar on the defensive side because they have to pay the price and the stubbornness of evolving the offense further detriments the D....

I don't think anyone in the know will speak. Perhaps it's best they don't. If there are major issues, clean house and start over. We may never recover, but it's a risk that may need to happen to have future sustainable success.

i have heard this from one big booster repeatedly, Gus and the priority on putting the best blocking receivers in the game and not the best talent has caused an uproar on the defensive side because they have to pay the price and the stubbornness of evolving the offense further detriments the D....

We need both. WRs better block on the inside slots or their NFL days will be short lived.

I know.......but having a relationship with he and his family outside of sports makes it tough to swallow. He's a determined, loyal and compassionate man.

sucks I know but things can still work out. Hang in there

I don't think anyone in the know will speak. Perhaps it's best they don't. If there are major issues, clean house and start over. We may never recover, but it's a risk that may need to happen to have future sustainable success.

Never recover? That's an awfully grim opinion. We'll bounce back like we always have.

Never recover? That's an awfully grim opinion. We'll bounce back like we always have.

I'm sure you are right, but I beat thought that SMU too.

I'm hoping for the best for Auburn and to be patient and let it happen.

Sure is a lot of noise this afternoon about Muschamp not returning to Auburn regardless. He'll be at UGA as DC or the S. Carolina head coach according to these reports on Twitter and Kevin Scarbinsky (who also says bammer is a possible destination).

I still don't think I believe he'll leave for another coordinator position, but if he does he's dead to me. It's a slap in the face to Auburn fans to leave for a lateral position at one of our two biggest rivals.

I have no way of knowing this, but if he leaves for a coordinator position or less I have to believe he is not a fan of the way Gus is handling business.

He is all business and Gus is more like Mrs. Doubtfire on the sidelines with his demeanor.

Why does it have to be Gus? And Will's pedigree as a HC or Coordinator is no better than Gus in any fashion. Maybe Gus wanted a commitment from Will not to seek these opportunities so soon hence why he may not come back regardless. It's amazing how quick the torch and pitchfork crowd want to mob Gus and show all this loyalty to a coach who has left AU before for a lateral move. Will did not break the mold on defense, there are several good DC's out there who drive to AU once he leaves....

Getting your entire program shut down due to NCAA trouble and what might happen at,AU are not comparable events.

Sure is a lot of noise this afternoon about Muschamp not returning to Auburn regardless. He'll be at UGA as DC or the S. Carolina head coach according to these reports on Twitter and Kevin Scarbinsky (who also says bammer is a possible destination).

I still don't think I believe he'll leave for another coordinator position, but if he does he's dead to me. It's a slap in the face to Auburn fans to leave for a lateral position at one of our two biggest rivals.

I have no way of knowing this, but if he leaves for a coordinator position or less I have to believe he is not a fan of the way Gus is handling business.

He is all business and Gus is more like Mrs. Doubtfire on the sidelines with his demeanor.

Why does it have to be Gus? And Will's pedigree as a HC or Coordinator is no better than Gus in any fashion. Maybe Gus wanted a commitment from Will not to seek these opportunities so soon hence why he may not come back regardless. It's amazing how quick the torch and pitchfork crowd want to mob Gus and show all this loyalty to a coach who has left AU before for a lateral move. Will did not break the mold on defense, there are several good DC's out there who drive to AU once he leaves....

It has more to do with cohesion between the units. It is hard for a D to perform if the O doesn't put the best playmakers out there....If you recruit players that are playmakers, let them make plays...don't sideline them and make them be better blockers for plays that everyone knows is coming, find more opportunities to get the ball in the hands of guys that are gonna get first downs.

I'm sure he's a great guy. But he's also paid to do a job, with that pay being more than 99% of the working people in the country. It's a tough profession without a lot of long-term stability. Gus knows that which is why he's willingly left Arkansas, Auburn, and Arkansas State in the past after relatively short stays at each. If he doesn't right the ship any criticism he receives is what he's earned and deserves.

I may be wrong but if Wil doesn't become a head coach I don't know why he wouldn't be back. Would he really move to be become DC somewhere else?

If he does, we are in allot more trouble than we thought.

It has more to do with cohesion between the units. It is hard for a D to perform if the O doesn't put the best playmakers out there....If you recruit players that are playmakers, let them make plays...don't sideline them and make them be better blockers for plays that everyone knows is coming, find more opportunities to get the ball in the hands of guys that are gonna get first downs.

Might be true....but the DC's job is to worry about his players and his side of the ball....not be telling the OC who should be playing. Hope that's not what's going on...but then again, CWM is a former HC and probably still thinks like one too.

I'm not 100% Gus right now...but I sure don't see him as the issue if the "conflict" is as described.

Are you Christy Malzahn for crying out loud? Lol. I'm just pointing out there personalities on the sidelines are polar opposites and I'm guessing it translates into other areas of how they conduct their business.

People with angry personalities often don't care for those who stay calm all the time.

If Boom goes, I hope Gus gets a great replacement and we barely miss a beat. I am for AU and I want Gus yo succeed. I just see some significant warning signs, and don't be shocked if some potential coordinators do to. Of course, jj will probably just pay them 3 times what they're worth to get them to come.

Getting your entire program shut down due to NCAA trouble and what might happen at,AU are not comparable events.

True, but SMU has never recovered. I don't think that will happen to AU, but the time/effort to fix the issue (if there is one) may take some time. We have not had a respectable defense in 8 years! We have had issues with coaching continuity/ consistency on that side of the ball. And the carousel may continue to turn. The offense is as mess. AU could be screwed big time. Or perhaps, it's a blessing if we can be patient and see it through (if it happens).

Are you Christy Malzahn for crying out loud? Lol. I'm just pointing out there personalities on the sidelines are polar opposites and Ixm guessing it translates into other areas of how they conduct their business.

People with angry personalities often don't care for those who stay calm all the time.

If Boom goes, I hope Gus gets a great replacement and we barely miss a beat. I am for AU andvI want Gus yo succeed. I just see some significant warning signs, and don't be shocked if some potential coordinators do to. Of course, jj will probably just pay them 3 times what they're worth to get them to come.

No one in a position to know says that there is any personal animosity between Gus and Will at all.

Are you Christy Malzahn for crying out loud? Lol. I'm just pointing out there personalities on the sidelines are polar opposites and Ixm guessing it translates into other areas of how they conduct their business.

If Boom goes, I hope Gus gets a great replacement and we barely miss a beat. I am for AU andvI want Gus yo succeed. I just see some significant warning signs, and don't be shocked if some potential coordinators do to. Of course, jj will probably just pay them 3 times what they're worth to get them to come.

No one in a position to know says that there is any personal animosity between Gus and Will at all.

Well, I guess that's good to hear, for what it's worth.

Gus has had one bad year of O in his college career. It sucked, but it is fixable. Mushamp's struggle was not with scheme, but with talent. I believe he see's that it will be a few recruiting class fix. He may not want to wait that long. Ellis Johnson recruited poorly for Muschamp's system. Heck, Ellis Johnson recruited poorly for his system. We will never ever sustain success at Auburn if we jump ship at the first bad season a coach has. Chiz's team quit on him. This team did not quit on Gus. Two very different things.

Archived