Will Muschamp (Combined Thread)

Potatooooooes!!

Sure is a lot of noise this afternoon about Muschamp not returning to Auburn regardless. He'll be at UGA as DC or the S. Carolina head coach according to these reports on Twitter and Kevin Scarbinsky (who also says bammer is a possible destination).

I still don't think I believe he'll leave for another coordinator position, but if he does he's dead to me. It's a slap in the face to Auburn fans to leave for a lateral position at one of our two biggest rivals.

I agree I can understand the HC move, but if he really leaves to be a coordinator at one of our rivals? Ouch. Honestly, I would be trying to figure out what the heck is going on for it to be that bad for him to jump ship like that.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure is a lot of noise this afternoon about Muschamp not returning to Auburn regardless. He'll be at UGA as DC or the S. Carolina head coach according to these reports on Twitter and Kevin Scarbinsky (who also says bammer is a possible destination).

I still don't think I believe he'll leave for another coordinator position, but if he does he's dead to me. It's a slap in the face to Auburn fans to leave for a lateral position at one of our two biggest rivals.

amen

Let me preface this by saying Muschamp is undoubtedly a great defensive coach and given the choice I want him here next year.

However, the sky would not fall if we lost him.

1. Gus will want to give someone complete control of an SEC defense. Very attractive to alot of good defensive minds out there

2. Muschamp rubbed a lot of players the wrong way. Alot of players not very fond of him (pondering transfers).

3. If he'd came back we'd go through this next year, and the year after, and so on.

1. Given the state of the program and with a guy coaching for his job next year I really don't see how it is attractive. For a good defensive mind like a Venables, etc, they aren't going to leave a perfectly comfortable situation to come to a place with high uncertainty of the future.

2. A lot of players (on our team anyway) don't like hard coaching.

Idk about everybody else but I want Trob by far the most if WM leaves. Keeps the same system in place, helps keep recruiting momentum, and gives him a chance to bring stability to the AU defense (which we desperately need) as well as building his career. I really think he could be a hell of a coach.

I think if true, that rubbing our players the wrong way is a blessing in a defensive coordinator

I don't have time to read this whole thread, so could someone please answer a couple questions for me? Are there any issues that would cause CWM to leave Au other than for another head coach job? I could understand that, but not leaving for another DC job. I especially couldn't understand going to be Lil Nicky's underling, that just makes my belly hurt. Are the media just jacking with folks?

I don't have time to read this whole thread, so could someone please answer a couple questions for me? Are there any issues that would cause CWM to leave Au other than for another head coach job? I could understand that, but not leaving for another DC job. I especially couldn't understand going to be Lil Nicky's underling, that just makes my belly hurt. Are the media just jacking with folks?

If he leaves for a head coaching job, more power to him. If he leaves for a DC job at thUGA or UAT, I (many may disagree) take it as a damning of the current direction of our program. I don't know if the discord lies in the administration, coaching staff, or both, but if Will Muschamp becomes a DC at a different school, Auburn needs to stop pointing fingers at all the reasons why and look inward into the inner-workings of the department.

If he leaves for a head coaching job, more power to him. If he leaves for a DC job at thUGA or UAT, I (many may disagree) take it as a damning of the current direction of our program. I don't know if the discord lies in the administration, coaching staff, or both, but if Will Muschamp becomes a DC at a different school, Auburn needs to stop pointing fingers at all the reasons why and look inward into the inner-workings of the department.

If there is any "inside info," how long will it take to find out?

I have no idea. I have no inside info whatsoever. The few contacts I have are rarely ever in to hear anything secretive (I did know how many Funnel Cake stands JHS was getting before anyone else did, so beat that people!!!!). We may never find out until years later. I am just speculating, but I see no reason how a lateral move could reflect well on the program

Makes no sense for someone to hire CWM as a DC knowing he is looking for a head coaching job. Totally. Different circumstances this year from last year.

We knew going in he was short term here. I hope we have him another year which would be good for us and our players but then we will be having the same debate next year too.

Well, I would imagine Phillip Marshall knows something. I think it's safe to say that we all get to the bottom of this. If this is what happens, Gus's time is limited. If that happens, we need to bring in a complete outsider. Since he won't do it, that includes getting rid of Jacobs. No more "Auburn Man."

Let me preface this by saying Muschamp is undoubtedly a great defensive coach and given the choice I want him here next year.

However, the sky would not fall if we lost him.

1. Gus will want to give someone complete control of an SEC defense. Very attractive to alot of good defensive minds out there

2. Muschamp rubbed a lot of players the wrong way. Alot of players not very fond of him (pondering transfers).

3. If he'd came back we'd go through this next year, and the year after, and so on.

1. Given the state of the program and with a guy coaching for his job next year I really don't see how it is attractive. For a good defensive mind like a Venables, etc, they aren't going to leave a perfectly comfortable situation to come to a place with high uncertainty of the future.

2. A lot of players (on our team anyway) don't like hard coaching.

Idk about everybody else but I want Trob by far the most if WM leaves. Keeps the same system in place, helps keep recruiting momentum, and gives him a chance to bring stability to the AU defense (which we desperately need) as well as building his career. I really think he could be a hell of a coach.

I think if true, that rubbing our players the wrong way is a blessing in a defensive coordinator

Not sure I agree.....there is a difference between being tough and demanding and "rubbing players the wrong way".

Take a notoriously tough coach like NS.....despite that reputation, the players all apparently respect him and I can't ever recall a former player speaking critical of him. Same goes for Pat Dye who was about as tough as the come from what I know.

SDS article that's regurgitated everything out there so far basically, but it's relevant to the thread. http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/auburn-will-muschamp-marriage-over/

Yeah, Malzahn seems to be going down the flames with this unless he can get a capable recruiter at DC with a similar defensive system as Muschamp. He can't afford to let a DC acclimate the players to a new defensive system because he is already on the hot seat himself and one more subpar year he is gone.

I have no idea. I have no inside info whatsoever. The few contacts I have are rarely ever in to hear anything secretive (I did know how many Funnel Cake stands JHS was getting before anyone else did, so beat that people!!!!). We may never find out until years later. I am just speculating, but I see no reason how a lateral move could reflect well on the program

I could see him at UGA because it's "home". Going to turdville burns a bridge. I honestly haven't heard or seen anything first hand between Gus and Will. But I can't verify it either.

That is the source of my aching belly, like a kick in the gut.

I have no way of knowing this, but if he leaves for a coordinator position or less I have to believe he is not a fan of the way Gus is handling business.

He is all business and Gus is more like Mrs. Doubtfire on the sidelines with his demeanor.

There's no way he would make a lateral move. I don't think he takes a HC job either at this point, especially USCe.

amen

Yeah......the Boom will be dead to me as well. Really like him on our sidelines.

There's no way he would make a lateral move. I don't think he takes a HC job either at this point, especially USCe.

From your mouth to the Spirit of Shug Jordan's ears

If he leaves, it really might bring to light, the state of (Auburn) the program. Don’t let the sunshine pumpers fool anyone. Will would stay if he things are heading in the right direction.

Its not looking good no matter what. We’ll probably lose most of the D staff.

Rebuilding for a few years.

Crash!

This is exactly correct.

This could be a complete clusterf&&&& real soon, Gus is on the clock to fix this quick, if needed. The only thing that improved was the D and having one of the best kickers in the country. His expertise was horrible, two years removed from a National Championship run and nothing to show

Jay Tate over at Rivals is saying he's hearing something has changed. I don't know if this is a balls to the wall negotiating tactic (not sure what there is to negotiate other than possibly being able to hire a defensive line coach of his choosing and move Garner) or what. If it's serious that he'd make a lateral move though, screw him.

The smoke is building that Boom is gone. Things change fast in 18 hours. If it happens I don't think it's fair to condemn Gus until he's proven he couldn't handle the situation. But I know he'll be crucified regardless.

Archived