Will Muschamp (Combined Thread)

Potatooooooes!!

Phillip Marshall, on the front page of 24/7, copy under a pic to a link behind the pay wall... "Auburn's Will Muschamp will reportedly interview at South Carolina today."

I am SO tired of the defensive coaching musical chairs.

#PMARSHONAU: Is Muschamp still in 'for the long haul?'

6_3328831.jpg

Unfortunately cwm was absolutely only a temporary measure. But we wanted a "Boom". His contract was openly built for a short stint and he couldn't have been more honest about his ambitions. What nobody could have foreseen is the large number of openings and the associated feeding frenzy.

Whether this year or not, I'm hoping Gus always realized that and has has compelling options in his back pocket.

I was hoping for 2 years myself. I think their plan was for Boom to right the defense in year #1, which he did, combine that with Gus's powerful offense and have a very good team. It was a good plan but we ran into a setback. Yes, let us hope he has full pockets.

Well, assuming Florida is making up the difference between his old salary and his current one, I think that's a fair assumption.

There's really no reason for him to do anything because of the money.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't flame me for this - but: If Muschamp leaves what about Paul Rhodes coming back as DC? He is no longer employed by Iowa State, so he is available and if I remember right, had some good defenses at AU.

Heck no.

x2. Why are we always trying to bring back old hires is my question. Especially former coaches who are not really high on any other programs lists except for ours b/c they have AU ties.

These people obviously think throughout CFB, there are only four or five defensive coordinators.

Appears that way. I don't think Rhodes would be a bad option but i feel like we place some former AU coaches higher than they should be if we had an opening for them to come back b/c they had some success at AU. For example, Rocker everytime we hire a DC and even seen Chiz name as a DC. Again..i think they are good coaches but it's ok to hire coaches not connected to AU. It's just amusing that the same former AU coaches names appear with openings.

I just want to look at this thread and someone said South c hired a coach other than muschamp

Seconded

Let's be real here - Boom was a short term fix anyway. We hired him with the thought of winning the SEC THIS year and/or sometime over the next few years, and while he was here he was going to take that time to help turn the defensive philosophy around. I think this has started but it is still going to take time/talent.

Of course it will hurt the team/recruiting tremendously if he leaves now, but it was not to be expected for him to stay after next year anyway. Take our lumps now or take them then. Either way, that is what we get when we hired a top DC who is looking to be a head coach and then do not give him a buyout. You take the good while you can get it.

Hopefully he will stay. If not we will survive.

Say Muschamp does leave (within the next week to wherever it may be)

That leaves us behind the hiring curve of the USCs, UGA, maybe Bama, etc

Would there be any big names available for us?

I feel like with the freshman we've had contributing this year and the two recruiting classes CWM has been building, it wouldn't look like a bad jig. Especially with Champ's mindset on all of the players

My point of view only ------ after watching how fired up and how explosive cwm is on the sidelines and while he may be a positive for his players, his outbursts may be a negative as far as the persona he portrays to the "upper management" (ad). His temperament is better fit for a dc than a hc at this time imho.

Gus will hire a good replacement if Boom goes. No worries there (and as others stated, we knew CWM was a short term solution)

My concern will be how it effects this year's recruiting.

Agree. Recruiting would take a big hit but I think Boom is being used against us anyway at this point. Many schools are telling recruits he will be gone within 2 years no matter what. Not sure that is working but that is the knock against Boom.

Kelley from FSU is the first call I'd make just after talking with T-Rob. I think T-Rob is a year away but he might be ready now.

Unfortunately cwm was absolutely only a temporary measure. But we wanted a "Boom". His contract was openly built for a short stint and he couldn't have been more honest about his ambitions. What nobody could have foreseen is the large number of openings and the associated feeding frenzy.

Whether this year or not, I'm hoping Gus always realized that and has has compelling options in his back pocket.

I was hoping for 2 years myself. I think their plan was for Boom to right the defense in year #1, which he did, combine that with Gus's powerful offense and have a very good team. It was a good plan but we ran into a setback. Yes, let us hope he has full pockets.

Well, assuming Florida is making up the difference between his old salary and his current one, I think that's a fair assumption.

There's really no reason for him to do anything because of the money.

Pockets referred to the previous post about Gus having options in his back pocket. But when it comes to money, I think everybody in this story has deep pockets, lol. As far as Florida there is no off set. They are paying Boom $2 million/year in addition to any other money he makes. Not a bad deal.

Would it be possible that we promote Coach T-Rob to coordinator if Muschamp leaves? He seems destined for a DC position at some point, why not let him try it at his alma mater? We'd probably be able to keep a fair number of our recruits that way too.

Hopefully Muschamp stays. I'm with cole256 on this one. Can't wait to peak into this thread and find out Muschamp is still at Auburn.

Let's be real here - Boom was a short term fix anyway. We hired him with the thought of winning the SEC THIS year and/or sometime over the next few years, and while he was here he was going to take that time to help turn the defensive philosophy around. I think this has started but it is still going to take time/talent.

Of course it will hurt the team/recruiting tremendously if he leaves now, but it was not to be expected for him to stay after next year anyway. Take our lumps now or take them then. Either way, that is what we get when we hired a top DC who is looking to be a head coach and then do not give him a buyout. You take the good while you can get it.

Hopefully he will stay. If not we will survive.

So true...all last year we figured we were just a reasonable defense away from a championship....and that's what Gus bought us with the CWM hire.....just didn't work out......So maybe now is the time to move on rather than next year.

If we take the long view (which most people are reluctant to do) we find a young up and comer we can keep for long enough to establish some stability on the defensive side of the ball.

I'm pretty neutral on the matter....if he goes....that's OK with me....'cause this time next year we will be right back here with the same concerns and questions.

JMO but next season is not going to be a championship year....so let's go ahead and get set on defense now....and move on.

Heck, I'd hate to see him go. He was making considerable progress and has the intensity and acumen we need back there.

We need to figure out what we are going to do on offense.

I have to agree with Titan Tiger here. Muschamp doesn't have any margin for error when he does become a HC again so he has to be very careful where he goes. It takes time and it's not easy to turn another program around and SC isn't the best situation for him to do that. The wrong decision by him now would be devastating for his HC career progression.

As far as other DC jobs, I don't see it. He is getting $1.6 mill from AU, the AU community loves the guy, he has complete autonomy with his defense and the opportunity to really increase his cache' over the next year or two.

Having said all that, he might have already taken the SC job for all I know. :'(/>

Regarding taking the uga DC job, I agree with you unless he feels he would have more stability at uga as a DC with a new HC who will have at least 3 years. Compared to what is going to be a pressure cooker season next season at AU for Gus.

wde

That's very true and he has a lot to think about. It has definitely crossed my mind that even if he stays, he could have the whole thing blow up in his face next year.

Let's assume that worse comes to worse and Auburn is looking for a new head coach after next year He has three possible scenarios that could play out. One, he is retained by the new HC. Two he lands another DC gig somewhere. Three, and the least likely to occur, Auburn makes him the new HC. He comes out just fine regardless.

My point of view only ------ after watching how fired up and how explosive cwm is on the sidelines and while he may be a positive for his players, his outbursts may be a negative as far as the persona he portrays to the "upper management" (ad). His temperament is better fit for a dc than a hc at this time imho.

‘On the other hand, Dye said he earned himself two flags on one play, but said it motivated his team.

The scene was Tallahassee in 1984.

"I don't recall assistant coaches getting any unsportsmanlike penalties, but I got some," Dye told Sports Drive on WNSP 105.5 FM on Monday. "I didn't get one. I got two in a row. I got one from the side judge, and I demanded to talk to the referee. When I talked to the referee, he threw his flag. I ended up with 30 yards in penalties, and we already had a 15-yard clipping penalty. We started at first and 10 so we ended up with first and 55. It was like a basketball coach getting a technical foul. They didn't throw the flag the rest of the day."

He was quick to point out they didn't pick up the first but did get the win 42-41.

"I wasn't ashamed of it, and I wasn't embarrassed about it because I knew they were wrong and I was right," Dye said.

"... I looked over at (offensive coordinator) Jack Crowe and I asked him, 'Jack, you have a a first and 55 call?' He looked at me like I was crazy."’

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/12/gene_stallings_on_will_muchamp.html

We need at least another year with him. One more year and I could be happy with him. We have some young guys that we can't miss on developing. Muschamp was high on Johnson, Williams, mcbryde and others. They are going to have to be better than normal rs freshmen next year

Make no mistake. We really need him (and TRob) to see this recruiting class through. If they don't, we might not get a single one of our remaining defensive targets (and we need them, badly). If they do stay, then we have a chance at setting the next guy up with great talent and some well-coached kids. Which goes back to the other reason we need him to stay: 1 good year wasn't enough to coach 5 bad ones out of these kids. He made a lot of progress, but another year would allow him to really create a strong foundation for the next guy to stand on.

It makes a HUGE difference whether it happens now or a year from now. It sets us way back if he leaves now.

Edit: Or what cole said.

Make no mistake. We really need him (and TRob) to see this recruiting class through. If they don't, we might not get a single one of our remaining defensive targets (and we need them, badly). If they do stay, then we have a chance at setting the next guy up with great talent and some well-coached kids. Which goes back to the other reason we need him to stay: 1 good year wasn't enough to coach 5 bad ones out of these kids. He made a lot of progress, but another year would allow him to really create a strong foundation for the next guy to stand on.

It makes a HUGE difference whether it happens now or a year from now. It sets us way back if he leaves now.

To keep the defensive recruits on board next year (assuming WM stays), won't some of our offensive staff need to play an integral role in the recruiting process and in home visits with the defensive players? Also, I would hope that Gus already has developed a contingency plan for when WM leaves, whether that is elevating TRob to DC or what not.

One thing is for sure...there's several people here saying what WM won't be doing as if they are "in the know".

He made our defense better as the season progressed and job well done. He doesn't owe AU a thing. And everyone on this board knew and at AU knew he could be one and done.

What AU needs to be discussing is who will be replacing him & Rhett too

Nobody is going to fool those prospects about the fact that CWM is a short-timer. JMO but the dye is cast.....everyone knows he is in play now, and if he doesn't take a job this year it's about 100% he will be gone after next year.

IMO....The recruiting plan for this year is screwed.....we just have to accept that and come up with our Plan B...right now...And again a good time to ask again what someone brought up on another thread...... What is Gus's defensive strategy? If he does not have one now....JMO ...but he better come up with something soon.

Nobody is going to fool those prospects about the fact that CWM is a short-timer. JMO but the dye is cast.....everyone knows he is in play now, and if he doesn't take a job this year it's about 100% he will be gone after next year.

IMO....The recruiting plan for this year is screwed.....we just have to accept that and come up with our Plan B...right now...And again a good time to ask again what someone brought up on another thread...... What is Gus's defensive strategy? If he does not have one now....JMO ...but he better come up with something soon.

I think he has to continue what Will has started. The current group is built around it. That's why T-Rob makes sense.

To keep the defensive recruits on board next year (assuming WM stays), won't some of our offensive staff need to play an integral role in the recruiting process and in home visits with the defensive players? Also, I would hope that Gus already has developed a contingency plan for when WM leaves, whether that is elevating TRob to DC or what not.

That's like saying that it's okay that Rob Gronkowski got hurt because the Patriots have Scott Chandler.

As for the "we knew he might be one and done" concept, I disagree. He came in with a severely tarnished reputation as a head coach. He's regularly cited as a worst case scenario for hiring a defensive coordinator as a head coach. The general consensus at the time was that he wouldn't leave for anything other than a plum gig, but that a plum gig wouldn't present itself until he'd had at least a couple years to distance himself from the UF debacle.

And 64, you might be right that this year's class would take a small hit from his flirtation with USC. But it is nowhere near the hit that our program would take if he left. If he stays a year, then he is still going to be recruiting and coaching as if his career depends on it, because it will. Yes, Gus needs to have a plan. Of course he does. To use the Patriots as an example again, I'm sure they have a plan for when Belichick retires. But do you think they have a chance in hell of actually replacing him?

I personally don't think we can replace Muschamp. It's telling that we haven't listed a single DC in this thread who 1) we actually have a shot at getting and 2) has credentials that could even sniff Will's.

It is infinitely better if we keep him at least one more year.

Archived