Will Muschamp (Combined Thread)

Potatooooooes!!

Phillip Marshall, on the front page of 24/7, copy under a pic to a link behind the pay wall... "Auburn's Will Muschamp will reportedly interview at South Carolina today." :(/>

I am SO tired of the defensive coaching musical chairs.

Unfortunately cwm was absolutely only a temporary measure. But we wanted a "Boom". His contract was openly built for a short stint and he couldn't have been more honest about his ambitions. What nobody could have foreseen is the large number of openings and the associated feeding frenzy.

Whether this year or not, I'm hoping Gus always realized that and has has compelling options in his back pocket.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't flame me for this - but: If Muschamp leaves what about Paul Rhodes coming back as DC? He is no longer employed by Iowa State, so he is available and if I remember right, had some good defenses at AU.

Don't flame me for this - but: If Muschamp leaves what about Paul Rhodes coming back as DC? He is no longer employed by Iowa State, so he is available and if I remember right, had some good defenses at AU.

He was only here 1 year.

No reason to flame that suggestion, but maybe a "Potential replacements for the guy who is still our DC" thread would be appropriate.

Phillip Marshall, on the front page of 24/7, copy under a pic to a link behind the pay wall... "Auburn's Will Muschamp will reportedly interview at South Carolina today." :(/>

#PMARSHONAU: Is Muschamp still in 'for the long haul?'

6_3328831.jpg

67Comments

by Phillip Marshall, 4 hours ago, Auburn's Will Muschamp will reportedly interview at South Carolina today. His alma mater has interest. Will he be Auburn's defensive coordinator next week? More

Doesn't mean he is leaving, even if he interviews. I've interviewed for jobs before, knowing full well I'm not going to take it if offered. Sometimes, it's to jockey for more money at my current gig. Sometimes, it's for experience at interviewing. Sometimes, it's because I was approached with the opportunity, and I don't want to burn any bridges I might need to cross in the future. Not saying that any of these apply to CWM, but just because he interviews doesn't mean he is gone. Besides, Auburn knew this might happen. This would be an excellent time for Gus to show that he is, indeed, capable of being a head coach. You can't implode when an assistant gets a better offer. Any suggestions on who we would look at to replace CWM??? Please don't say Garner.

Correct, it doesn't mean he is leaving at all. All it means right now is that there is interest IF what PM is reporting even materializes. As far as who we would get (yet again) I have no idea.

Heck no.

No reason to flame that suggestion, but maybe a "Potential replacements for the guy who is still our DC" thread would be appropriate.

It would probably get blown up

It would probably get blown up

Oh, then they can just blow this thread up. It's just making me sad, anyway :)

http://coachingsearc...g-search-ticker

South Carolina: TigerIllustrated reports Will Muschamp has reached out to Clemson co-offensive coordinator Jeff Scott to gauge his potential interest in becoming South Carolina’s offensive coordinator if Muschamp becomes head coach.

Surely to goodness Muschamp has his butt on the recruiting trail and has his mind 100% focused on Auburn's recruiting class. :banghead:

Will's got to do what's best for him and his family.

Dude inherited a trainwreck. Saved last year's recruiting class. Worked his butt off to turn this defense and its culture around. It will be awful if he leaves, but he'll owe us no apologies if he does.

Just my opinion of course but CWM didn't do any more than any other well respected DC would have done. Certainly the D was improved.....as it should have been.

As for future SEC openings ? what's the deal that he should wait or seek a HC job in the conference? There are good coaching jobs elsewhere , many with a higher probability of success and similar money.

And considering that (as noted above) fans are increasingly impatient with highly paid coaches who don't deliver immediately, there will be plenty of good jobs open next season too.....and no need for him to panic and run off to another job just because there is an opening.

Heck no.

That's silly. Rhoads is an excellent DC and did a great job when he was here last. And he lacks for nothing in the fire and passion department.

http://coachingsearc...g-search-ticker

South Carolina: TigerIllustrated reports Will Muschamp has reached out to Clemson co-offensive coordinator Jeff Scott to gauge his potential interest in becoming South Carolina’s offensive coordinator if Muschamp becomes head coach.

Surely to goodness Muschamp has his butt on the recruiting trail and has his mind 100% focused on Auburn's recruiting class. :banghead:/>

Will's got to do what's best for him and his family.

Dude inherited a trainwreck. Saved last year's recruiting class. Worked his butt off to turn this defense and its culture around. It will be awful if he leaves, but he'll owe us no apologies if he does.

Just my opinion of course but CWM didn't do any more than any other well respected DC would have done. Certainly the D was improved.....as it should have been.

As for future SEC openings ? what's the deal that he should wait or seek a HC job in the conference? There are good coaching jobs elsewhere , many with a higher probability of success and similar money.

And considering that (as noted above) fans are increasingly impatient with highly paid coaches who don't deliver immediately, there will be plenty of good jobs open next season too.....and no need for him to panic and run off to another job just because there is an opening.

You act like the defense would've been good regardless of who coaches, yet you forget it's been about a decade since our last decent defense. And before somebody quips 2010, Let's not forget our defense gave up over forty points to an Arkansas backup QB that year.

Heck no.

x2. Why are we always trying to bring back old hires is my question. Especially former coaches who are not really high on any other programs lists except for ours b/c they have AU ties.

Wait What

TigerIllustrated reports Will Muschamp has reached out to Clemson co-offensive coordinator Jeff Scott to gauge his potential interest in becoming South Carolina’s offensive coordinator if Muschamp becomes head coach.

Would have to go double check, but didn't this stuff come out last time CWM was looking at where to coach defense at?

Last time everyone was saying done deal to USCe as HCIW and the like. Why would he go now unless he feels like Auburn is in a bad spot?

guys, coaches interviewing for positions isn't anything new. It never hurts to listen. I would hate for him to leave, but to panic over it is not good.

Heck no.

x2. Why are we always trying to bring back old hires is my question. Especially former coaches who are not really high on any other programs lists except for ours b/c they have AU ties.

These people obviously think throughout CFB, there are only four or five defensive coordinators.

Heck no.

We aren't trying to bring back old hires as much as favoring those we know have done well here over the unknowns. I don't hear anyone clamoring for Ted Roof, David Gibbs, John Lovett or Brian VanGorder.

I'm not saying he's the top guy on my list if we have to get someone, but we'd be silly not to consider him.

To be honest though and I'm not freaking out over this our chances of getting someone as good or better than Muschamp are pretty slim. It would probably really hurt us in recruiting. That said I really think he will stay at Auburn my guess is that SC is looking in a different direction.

Wait What

TigerIllustrated reports Will Muschamp has reached out to Clemson co-offensive coordinator Jeff Scott to gauge his potential interest in becoming South Carolina’s offensive coordinator if Muschamp becomes head coach.

If you are going to post stuff like this, you need to back it up with articles from creditable sources. This sounds silly in the first place. Maybe Donald Trump will offer CWM to become the Coordinator of all sports on his cabinet.

Meltdown has commenced. Highly doubt CWM would leave after one year. Moving family around, moving lifestyle, changing people involved with, etc. MOST coaches are not at a program in any position for only one year. Chill. We shall see

Heck no.

We aren't trying to bring back old hires as much as favoring those we know have done well here over the unknowns. I don't hear anyone clamoring for Ted Roof, David Gibbs, John Lovett or Brian VanGorder.

I'm not saying he's the top guy on my list if we have to get someone, but we'd be silly not to consider him.

Just an FYI but Muschamp was a former hire.

Unfortunately cwm was absolutely only a temporary measure. But we wanted a "Boom". His contract was openly built for a short stint and he couldn't have been more honest about his ambitions. What nobody could have foreseen is the large number of openings and the associated feeding frenzy.

Whether this year or not, I'm hoping Gus always realized that and has has compelling options in his back pocket.

“Muschamp only owes Auburn a buyout of $1 million if he leaves before the end of the regular season or the SEC Championship game on Dec. 5 if Auburn advances to Atlanta this season. After that, Muschamp is free to pursue other employment opportunities at no cost to him.”

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/07/details_of_will_muschamps_51_m.html

“If I leave here tomorrow

Would you still remember me?

For I must be traveling on now

'Cause there's too many places I've got to see.

But if I stayed here with you, girl,

Things just couldn't be the same.

'Cause I'm as free as a bird now,

And this bird you can not change,…”

Meltdown has commenced. Highly doubt CWM would leave after one year. Moving family around, moving lifestyle, changing people involved with, etc. MOST coaches are not at a program in any position for only one year. Chill. We shall see

Probably true....so he's only here one year.....or maybe it will be two years? ......whatever.....he was always just a stop-gap in my opinion and AU was just place for him to regroup before he moved on to another HC job.

So it's this year or next year that we have to find our 5th...or will it be 6th DC in the past 10 years? That's a pitiful record and represents about 80% of the reason why our defense is so poor year in and year out.

At some point we need some stability....

Heck no.

Just an FYI but Muschamp was a former hire.

I know that. I'm just trying to explain that we aren't interested in candidates because they are old hires. We are interested in candidates we believe can be successful here and have demonstrated it at this level of competition. Former hires who've done well here obviously check that box. Former hires who were just ok or sucked aren't under consideration.

Phillip Marshall, on the front page of 24/7, copy under a pic to a link behind the pay wall... "Auburn's Will Muschamp will reportedly interview at South Carolina today."

#PMARSHONAU: Is Muschamp still in 'for the long haul?'

6_3328831.jpg

I was hoping for 2 years myself. I think their plan was for Boom to right the defense in year #1, which he did, combine that with Gus's powerful offense and have a very good team. Year #2 and the defense would be even better. It was a good plan but we ran into a setback. Yes, just in case, let us hope he has full pockets.

My guess ? He stays.

Archived