I tell you one problem on here

cole256

I don't know why Gus should be accountable for not knowing that JJ wouldn't be ready mentally for prime time. Some people, athlete or not, can't mentally prepare to deal with high expectations/being "the guy".

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will add my two cents. I agree with Cole. A lot of unjustified hype and unwarrented criticism of players. Things change from week to week. And this "changing coaches talk" is just about to drive me nuts. It can wreck a program for years. Look at Alabama from after their 92 season. It took until 2008 to get back on track.

This ^

My wife calls it "awfulizing". Some people just cannot take a sober perspective on life. They just haven't learned that things are never as good - or bad - as they seem to be.

And the trashing of players simply should not be allowed. I don't mind the criticism of our coaches - that's simple accountability. Besides they are paid well enough to take it.

But there is absolutely no reason to go on and on about how terrible or incompetent a player is. It's mean spirited, despicable and harmful to the program.

There are plenty of positives about this team. I love what Sean White and Kerryon Johnson are bringing to the offense. Braden Smith is coming along nicely and that big boy Pettway is starting to deliver some punishment. How can you not love Barber?

The youngsters are playing fairly well still on D. Cowart is still a little green but he'll come along too.

We just need some of the older guys to step it up and help them out on both sides of the ball.

When I say this is the worst defense I've seen I mean in production. While some of these guys have not preformed as well as expectations has a lot to do with coaches. Don't start with the coaches don't play crap either. They are responsible in preparing them and motivating them. Auburn gets as many good players as the best teams out there and better than most. Tubs did a lot more with less talent. JJ has all kind of talent someone failed to get his head straight. Lots of talent on defense but WM is playing to soft. Gus and Rhett are to predictable the constantly put the players in bad position. And quit harping on PB if he had a line like Derrick Henry does and a play caller like Kiffen he would be a Hiesmen contender.

Kiffin isn't all that great a play caller man. I'm not sure where you are getting that nonsense.

Good thread, I'm guilty of the excessive emotions. Truth is, there are things this team is getting better at. Will we win every game left on the schedule? Prob not

Should we lose to msu, Arky, etc? Nope, but if the fanbase would take a step back and let these coaches do their thing, good things are on the way.

So refreshing to see someone with an attitude like this!! War Eagle!!

This past two seasons fall completely on the coaches. They were gift-wrapped an opportunity last year and did nothing with it. A good coach would go at least 10-3 with last year's team. Gus is just not a good football coach. It's not too hard to figure out why--he's a Chizik disciple. He'll get another year, but if he can't do anything with that, then we need to bring in a complete outsider. Oh, and get a real business manager like Scott Etheridge as AD.

I think there are a couple of things that are easy to overlook.

1) Ellis quit on us last year. The 2nd half of the season was a dumpster fire on d and Ellis never gave thought to turning it around.

2) nick let the team down w/ the weed citation and then Gus sent the wrong message w/ his slap on the wrists.

Bottle those 2 things up and it is damn hard to turn the downward momentum around. Both carried over to this year, but I see Gus getting in front of it. Guschamp will be feared soon, very soon. I can see our culture changing.....

I got lots of emotion and little tact.... lol So take all with a grain of salt. Sean White is too short, but gosh does he have heart and he is so doggone accurate!!!! KJ is the real thing and Barber is the best back(what Tre Mason said)..... but with all that said, we are a bad team this year and will be lucky to win 2 more games.

But I will still be rootin' for my Tigers.

This past two seasons fall completely on the coaches. They were gift-wrapped an opportunity last year and did nothing with it. A good coach would go at least 10-3 with last year's team. Gus is just not a good football coach. It's not too hard to figure out why--he's a Chizik disciple. He'll get another year, but if he can't do anything with that, then we need to bring in a complete outsider. Oh, and get a real business manager like Scott Etheridge as AD.

Chizik disciple. That right there tells me how much you know. Not much.

I have been an AU fan for 58 years,been through every emotion possible. The only coach I ever wanted fired was Barfield

You are a man among men no doubt. Us old timers have seen more than most of the youngsters on this board. I am not saying we are better fans and all knowing fans whatsoever. We have just been around the Auburn Football landscape far longer than most. I think being somewhat sages here and there, we can have a better appreciation of the good and not too much hysteria when the bad comes rolling around as it does in cycles.

I enjoy Cole's perspective and find that he does a good job with presenting his case. When I get frustrated, out comes the War Corgi all knowing and invincible wonder pup!

Chizik disciple. That right there tells me how much you know. Not much.

You might be right, but in any case, wouldn't it have been a better decision to bring in a complete outsider than anyone associated with Chizik?

It's interesting to compare this D (unemotionally) so far to one of our worst in modern era though,) - 2012 - which really tanked after October. Whereas this 2015 D seems to have some fairly talented players being flat inept, at least they're not giving up like many opponents and even folks within our program said about the also fairly talented 2012 squad. Still, the failure to improve much if at all with solid talent, well resume'd defensive coaches is eerily similar.

I had mentioned this on another thread before, but I think the pain of this season is mostly amplified by the fact that the team up-state has not had a down season since 2007. Now I understand that their success shouldn't be the catalyst for which we expect greatness from our team, but the "process" seems to have an adverse effect on how we view what would be a normal disappointing rebuilding year. And that's not evening accounting for the preseason hype...

I don't have the time to sift through everything and I never have been a big x and o person anyway. So that being the case, someone who has done the analysis tell me just what has been the primary difference from the success in 2013 to what we see now. What has to happen to get that back?

Here are a few things:

Solid line play with a Center who has played the position multiple years vice just 7 games

That line provided a monster running attack, passing attack wasn't that great

Played more experienced players at all positions and quality depth (D was suspect but you still had Ford and Lawson(FR year) so you got a rush which helped the whole line)

Now: Playing a new center and a ton of freshmen (in last game thread someone called for the pulling of Cox's Scholly which was just ridiculous) Freshmen need to learn to play the game

We lost a lot of depth on the D side of the ball and are playing a ton of Freshmen (lawson has played two quarters...didn't we look a lot better on D when he played as far as the pass rush? I know they put in that fast FR and threw us off but Lawson being in there helped others out therefore we got to the QB or made him hurry)

New QB first start since HS...and only has a couple of games experience now...JJ has had trouble in the game situations (as we all know)

New Center so it takes a while to get the signals for blocking right to the other linemen...

Running game is struggling with the new line and mainly FR blocking for the backs

WR's having to get in synch with the new QB (remember they were working mainly with JJ spring and summer, Notice How King was on the same page with SW...that is because he played with him a lot)

Disention in the locker room with the handling of Duke and his multiple strikes...how many did other players get? (not as many)...(looks like that has cleaned itself up some)

Like it or not we are rebuilding...too much hype from the media thinking like most of the fans that when you bring in a coach like CWM that he can turn it around over night...but it takes time

Also (I don't have it handy but saw somewhere the breakdown of the classes from 09-14) we don't have that many good players. If someone has it handy the classes from 09-14 and how many are left for the years of 13 and now it would be a big surprise and open some fans eyes on how many people are no longer with the program. I think we have 75 on scholly right now? 10 players that could be playing now makes a big difference. I think in 13 we still had the core of recruiting from 10 & 11 which put them as soph & juniors who had playing time and a lot of junior/senior leadership was on that team...

Those are just a few things off the top of my head.

To get back to 13 shape will take some time and a year or two of good recruiting...not taking chances in the Juco ranks like we had to when gus came in...we have to recruit and develop which I see signs in this years team. I believe playing all of these freshmen will pay off over the next couple of years.

I honestly believe if that Gus put receivers on the field that can catch most balls, instead of being great blockers it will have a reverse effect on the the running game and open things up since the D would actually have to respect receivers. While a WR's number one job is to catch the ball and make plays, I feel that is not how we develop our depth chart.

Stop recruiting kids who have to be sold on Auburn and start recruiting kids who have never wanted to play anywhere else. We may take a dip in the recruiting rankings but the players will be much more coachable and far fewer of them will be prima donnas. All the talent in the world will not win as long as everyone has their own individual goals. We don't need all these "guns for hire". That's what happened with Duke and Jovon Robinson (and probably others)...we need kids who are committed to Auburn.

Stop recruiting kids who have to be sold on Auburn and start recruiting kids who have never wanted to play anywhere else. We may take a dip in the recruiting rankings but the players will be much more coachable and far fewer of them will be prima donnas. All the talent in the world will not win as long as everyone has their own individual goals. We don't need all these "guns for hire". That's what happened with Duke and Jovon Robinson (and probably others)...we need kids who are committed to Auburn.

Good Lord. And to your point the only place Jovon Robinson has really ever wanted to play was AU.

These type of posts make me laugh

Yep. AU would be offering kids who would be walk-on's at every school in the FBS.

Well that's atleast 1 time Cole and I agree on something ;D

You always seem to make claims that few if any people made as though everyone made them.

This bears repeating. We have three types on this forum: Boo Birds, Holier-Than-Thous, and Sunshine Pumpers. This forum was fun right up until 3:30pm EDT on September 5th.

Yep. AU would be offering kids who would be walk-on's at every school in the FBS.

And I guarantee there's no way he'd be on the board saying winning isn't important they tried hard....

You always seem to make claims that few if any people made as though everyone made them.

This bears repeating. We have three types on this forum: Boo Birds, Holier-Than-Thous, and Sunshine Pumpers. This forum was fun right up until 3:30pm EDT on September 5th.

I bet it was still fun at halftime of that game atleast. :poke:

Which one are you?

And he was talking about me so which one am I? I disagree with his statement though I use the words many, some, few, and several to identify how I feel is the condition of the board because I think it's cordial and better than rounding up a bunch of quotes and calling people out...If there are better ways to convey the overall tone of the board without going at someone individually I'm open to suggestions

Archived