Play calling 4 OT

TigerOne

Only problem I had with play selection in OT was what Handley brought up earlier. We should have gone for the 2 pointer after 2nd overtime touchdown. We had the perfect call that we used later. A 99% sure winning play. I love Gus but he just does not have the intestinal fortitude of a Les Miles. Sometimes you need to go by the gut and not by the book. Gus will not fake a kick. We have a very athletic holder who was a very good HS QB. At that point in OT our defense was spent. We needed a big play on defense and it was just not there. Next best chance to win was go for two straight up or a fake. Doesn't take a genius.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No clue why we went for the end zone when we had to gain 9 yards? Also no clue why KJ didn't get a single snap in OT IIRC?

We went for the end zone because it was a great call. All the WR had to do was catch the ball. Why should KJ have gotten snaps in OT? We scored TD's on a perfect 3 for 3 and would have scored 4 for 4 had routine catches been made. There was no need to do anything different other than guys catch a pass that hits them in the hands.

Only problem I had with play selection in OT was what Handley brought up earlier. We should have gone for the 2 pointer after 2nd overtime touchdown. We had the perfect call that we used later. A 99% sure winning play. I love Gus but he just does not have the intestinal fortitude of a Les Miles. Sometimes you need to go by the gut and not by the book. Gus will not fake a kick. We have a very athletic holder who was a very good HS QB. At that point in OT our defense was spent. We needed a big play on defense and it was just not there. Next best chance to win was go for two straight up or a fake. Doesn't take a genius.

You realize the probability of making a two-point conversion is 31%, right? Go for two when you don't have to and the label "world's dumbest coach" gets stuck on you for life.

You realize the probability of making a two-point conversion is 31%, right? Go for two when you don't have to and the label "world's dumbest coach" gets stuck on you for life.

Only if you don't make it......BUT...if it's good and you bring home a big road win, people will be putting up billboards all over the state about Gutty Gus. ....BB will have even more reason to talk about how much he hates Auburn. People can dream can't they :dunno:

Only if you don't make it......

But that's the whole point, isn't it? It has about a 69% chance of not making it.

But that's the whole point, isn't it? It has about a 69% chance of not making it.

Except that a pretty good QB has about 65 % or so of completing a pass....so I wonder which percent actually applies. Seems like if a team were to pass for that last 3 yards, the odds are pretty high....though perhaps all those completions back at mid field build up the stats in the QB's favor.

Just from my observation and poor memory, I doubt that AU QBs have a 60 % completion rate in the "red zone" since the defense had less ground to defend but I'm pretty sure our opponents hit about 90% in our red zone. Selective memory perhaps?

All this harping about playcalling is tiresome. The OFFENSE did enough to win ~~~~ nothing wrong with the damn playcalling in this game, nothing wrong with the QB or oline in this game.

All this harping about playcalling is tiresome. The OFFENSE did enough to win ~~~~ nothing wrong with the damn playcalling in this game, nothing wrong with the QB or oline in this game.

Sorry Keesler but anyone can find things to harp about with the defensive results.....but takes some imagination to find something to carp about with the offensive effort....well perhaps other than the WR's .....but picking on the defenses is just no challenge.

Except that a pretty good QB has about 65 % or so of completing a pass....

Not in that situation obviously. Otherwise, everyone would go for it most of the time.

Archived