Play calling 4 OT

TigerOne

Playcalling was the same subpar playcalling as it's always been all season long. They were just playing a BAD football team for the second week in a row. The execution was downright wretched.

every time you post here you prove how little you know about the game. There wasn't one thing wrong with the play calling the entire game. It was all about execution. Unfortunately we had several WR have bad games catching the ball. If those passes are caught in the first half, there's a solid chance that game never even goes into OT.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't really like the 3rd down call in OT #4- 2 downs to make a first down or TD and that was a kind of all or nothing, not-great-percentage play (particularly the way our receivers had been catching the ball). Other than that call I thought the play calling was solid the whole game.

But I thought people wanted the offense to pass more? The issue was not play calling...it was execution...

You make a valid point, and I can't argue. The problem is why is our execution so poor? It's so inconsistent. I watched D players quit on plays. I watched WR that absolutely look like crap. Why? Deadwood on the team? Staff? That's what we need to get down to. Why is the execution pitiful..because it is. And while it's easy for me to get on the players, I always find myself looking at coaching..then at players, then back at coaches. Right now, we just don't have a good chemistry going. We need to get rid of some dead wood. I just don't know where or what that deadwood is.

Post of the day.

Winforauburn nails it. And, as much as I hate to admit it, Poet is right this one time too.

Didn't really like the 3rd down call in OT #4- 2 downs to make a first down or TD and that was a kind of all or nothing, not-great-percentage play (particularly the way our receivers had been catching the ball). Other than that call I thought the play calling was solid the whole game.

Agreed, not upset with the TD attempt on second, but then I think we should have ran something to get us a better chance at the first down on third down. Other than that, I was fine with the play calling. A few drop passes hurt us at the start of the game and then in the final OT.

But I thought people wanted the offense to pass more? The issue was not play calling...it was execution...

You make a valid point, and I can't argue. The problem is why is our execution so poor? It's so inconsistent. I watched D players quit on plays. I watched WR that absolutely look like crap. Why? Deadwood on the team? Staff? That's what we need to get down to. Why is the execution pitiful..because it is. And while it's easy for me to get on the players, I always find myself looking at coaching..then at players, then back at coaches. Right now, we just don't have a good chemistry going. We need to get rid of some dead wood. I just don't know where or what that deadwood is.

Like CWM has been preaching...We need a culture change big time. It is a little disheartening because Gus recruited most of these players on his side, but the defense honestly just lack football IQ. I really don't understand why is it so hard to contain the edge on a sweep. I don't understand why our offense doesn't do the little things such as when Barber is fighting for an extra yard, the O-line continue to push the pile. Heck even with 1 minute left in the game and the call that was reversed by the officials...the team is just standing there looking at the ball. In situations like that, I thought you were taught to always go for the ball unless you hear a whistle. I am happy that they fought through some adversity and I am particularly encouraged by Sean White and Carlton Davis. This is great experience for them.

This. This. This. No IQ at all. Do the upperclassmen have a drive to succeed? Sure doesn't look like it. It's very disgusting to watch some freshmen out there busting their butts to do the right things and then have 4th and 5th year seniors blow the game on both sides of the ball. Four times on D we could have won the game by making ONE play and never did it. THIS is the culture change CWM is talking about. One where players are held accountable for poor play, not coddled. Gus needs a couple of years more but this is mainly on him. The HC sets the tone and our tone is softness now.

IMO it is absolutely terrible play calling. I am happy to see us sling the ball alittle more but that has nothing to do with 1 series in the game. Passing is fine but it was second and 9 and then 3rd and 9 and then 4th and 9. If you want to take a shot on first down ok but not on second an third. It should have been about getting the first down. I personally think Gus is a great guy but his ego gets in the way sometimes IMO. When they scored on us so quickly in 4th OT I told my buddy we were in trouble because Gus would try to match it. And he did. He abandon the play calling that was working and just went for it.

IMO it is absolutely terrible play calling. I am happy to see us sling the ball alittle more but that has nothing to do with 1 series in the game. Passing is fine but it was second and 9 and then 3rd and 9 and then 4th and 9. If you want to take a shot on first down ok but not on second an third. It should have been about getting the first down. I personally think Gus is a great guy but his ego gets in the way sometimes IMO. When they scored on us so quickly in 4th OT I told my buddy we were in trouble because Gus would try to match it. And he did. He abandon the play calling that was working and just went for it.

Sorry, but when you have two plays that work to perfection, the receiver is open and the QB delivers the ball right on their hands - one of which was a TD and the other that gets you the first down - you don't get to say "bad playcalling" anymore and be taken seriously. Neither of those catches are difficult grabs. They are what you expect a veteran starter and 4-star WR out of high school to make routinely.

Sorry, but when you have two plays that work to perfection, the receiver is open and the QB delivers the ball right on their hands - one of which was a TD and the other that gets you the first down - you don't get to say "bad playcalling" anymore and be taken seriously. Neither of those catches are difficult grabs. They are what you expect a veteran starter and 4-star WR out of high school to make routinely.

thank you. Any team that scores 3tds and a 2 point conversion in ot is calling good plays and deserves to win. If we must complain about ot coaching the defense is where you start. We played better offensively vs Arkansas than bammer did.

The thing is, Ricardo doesn't make those routinely and he never has. Once you have the first drop, why not at least go for the chance you break a long run to give your 4th down play calling a little variety. On 4th and long, you can't really expect much success when you have a pocket passer that can't make them put a spy up, and then have to face 7-8 DBs.

You guys...lol....are ridiculous. Had RL caught the ball put perfectly in his hands, no one would even be discussing this. The team played hard enough to make me proud. The plays needed to win weren't made. Why can't people just accept it for what it is? We came up short unfortunately. Why must you all continually nitpick this team to death? This was, by far, the best played game by this team all season overall and a lot on this forum want to continually bash everything about it. What the hell is wrong with you all?

Super emotional. One game people make players the greatest, one bad game people make the player pathetic...goes for how coaches are viewed too

You guys...lol....are ridiculous. Had RL caught the ball put perfectly in his hands, no one would even be discussing this. The team played hard enough to make me proud. The plays needed to win weren't made. Why can't people just accept it for what it is? We came up short unfortunately. Why must you all continually nitpick this team to death? This was, by far, the best played game by this team all season overall and a lot on this forum want to continually bash everything about it. What the hell is wrong with you all?

I've said this before, but I think a lot of it starts and ends in Tuscaloosa. People see what bama is doing and immediately want what they have. Little brother syndrome. Reality is, until Saban is gone we will suffer to them in recruiting and be forced to live in their proverbial shadow. And I think people are reluctant to admit that. Throw in having to deal with it with bammers at work throwing it in their face, impatience settles in. Thankfully the extent of bammers I deal with are all on Facebook, so I just stay off that until Monday.

I've said this before, but I think a lot of starts and ends in Tuscaloosa. People see what bama is doing and immediately want what they have. Little brother syndrome. Reality is, until Saban is gone we will suffer to them in recruiting and be forced to live in their proverbial shadow.

And even a little of that is our fault imo. We haven't put together to great seasons in a row. If we mad followed 2010 or 2013 with at least a ten win season and a bowl win we'd be incredibly hot. To be honest everybody tried to give us the benefit of the doubt this year

I've said this before, but I think a lot of starts and ends in Tuscaloosa. People see what bama is doing and immediately want what they have. Little brother syndrome. Reality is, until Saban is gone we will suffer to them in recruiting and be forced to live in their proverbial shadow.

And even a little of that is our fault imo. We haven't put together to great seasons in a row. If we mad followed 2010 or 2013 with at least a ten win season and a bowl win we'd be incredibly hot. To be honest everybody tried to give us the benefit of the doubt this year

Yeah, the up and down cycle has become tiresome. But if it's any indicator for the future, we should have a pretty good season next year.

IMO it is absolutely terrible play calling. I am happy to see us sling the ball alittle more but that has nothing to do with 1 series in the game. Passing is fine but it was second and 9 and then 3rd and 9 and then 4th and 9. If you want to take a shot on first down ok but not on second an third. It should have been about getting the first down. I personally think Gus is a great guy but his ego gets in the way sometimes IMO.

IMO, you know nothing about football. The 3rd down pass White threw was perfect. The WR was wide open and just didn't catch it. That has ZERO to do with playcalling.

When they scored on us so quickly in 4th OT I told my buddy we were in trouble because Gus would try to match it. And he did. He abandon the play calling that was working and just went for it.

You do realize the game was in overtime right. Gus had to match it (ie:score a td and two point conversion) or the game was over. He didn't abandon anything. Anybody that thinks that, clearly knows nothing about the game, didn't actually watch the game, or both. How a wide open WR dropping a perfectly thrown pass comes back to play calling just boggles the mind. You really need to take some time and learn the game.

My problem with the play calling in OT 4 was putting the game in the hands of the WR's when they have been unable to catch a cold all year.If AU doesn't have the worst WR's of any team in the entire country please tell me a team that has worse.

My problem with the play calling in OT 4 was putting the game in the hands of the WR's when they have been unable to catch a cold all year.If AU doesn't have the worst WR's of any team in the entire country please tell me a team that has worse.

If Barber was successful on that first run in 4OT he wouldn't have gone to the air. Barber ran all over them in the previous 3 OTs, it was likely time to switch it up because Arky knew what was coming.

The thing is, Ricardo doesn't make those routinely and he never has. Once you have the first drop, why not at least go for the chance you break a long run to give your 4th down play calling a little variety. On 4th and long, you can't really expect much success when you have a pocket passer that can't make them put a spy up, and then have to face 7-8 DBs.

So, basically, once any receiver drops a pass,never throw it to them again. The 3rd down play call was PERFECT. He was WIDE OPEN. There isn't one receiver anywhere in the country that has caught every pass thrown to them. That last statement is one of the most football ignorant statements I've seen here. TONS of pocket passer QB's convert 4th down throws regardless of the defensive personnel.

This team played as hard as a team can play. Are we in reality a better team than Arkansas? I think so without any reservation. Arkansas will beat some of the big teams on their schedule. Some may disagree and that is fine.

We were a couple of handful of plays away that very easily would have given us the win. I think we will return the favor to the head piggy in 2016 when the pigs will be destroyed in JHS. Every time I see Ricardo catching the pass against Georgia, I am beginning to think that Ricardo has to have passes that are all over the place for him to catch. I think that CGM will have SW passing to Ricardo all week until they get it right. I think it would be wise to have SW and all receivers work on passing plays all of this week. It is not SW's fault that receivers drop very catchable balls.

The play calling was fine of which I would give a B+ overall. Some of us older guys on this board do tend to be more patient than the younger guys on this board. We have seen just about every type of games Auburn has played since the early 60s. I think it was in 1963 when we beat bammer was my first live game to watch. I did not completely understand how the game worked, but my older brother schooled me fairly well so that I could have an idea of what was going on.

I guess I am trying to say is that we need to be patient with this team. We are a far better team than many think we are. I think we can go at least 3-2 or better for the rest of the season. SW is fast becoming a star QB. I am siting here watching Drew Brees and the Saints taking it to the Colts so far. SW reminds me so much of Drew Brees. I think we will be fine and next season could very well be the season we all hoped for this season.

This is incoherent. The plays worked as called. Ricardo was coming off a career game against UK where he caught virtually everything thrown his way. Not to mention, who gets targeted largely depends on the progressions and who is open when. Sean is delivering the ball to the open receiver. It makes no sense not to target RL.

I think you should question the defensive play calls and not the offense. Yeah we ran it well in the other OT periods; but what I saw in the last one was 3 good play calls that should have resulted in 2 TDs and a 1st down on the last one. The problem is wide receivers not catching the ball. I'm sorry but don't we have some other guys on the roster with great hands that can go in the game? We don't need the fastest or tallest, we just need someone that will catch the ball 9 out of ten times when it hits them in the hands. Apparently we don't have that or the coaches have yet to figure out who that is because they wont give everyone a shot??

I think you should question the defensive play calls and not the offense. Yeah we ran it well in the other OT periods; but what I saw in the last one was 3 good play calls that should have resulted in 2 TDs and a 1st down on the last one. The problem is wide receivers not catching the ball. I'm sorry but don't we have some other guys on the roster with great hands that can go in the game? We don't need the fastest or tallest, we just need someone that will catch the ball 9 out of ten times when it hits them in the hands. Apparently we don't have that or the coaches have yet to figure out who that is because they wont give everyone a shot??

If we did, they'd be out there don't you think? Obviously it's painful to admit, but those receivers are the best we've got. There's no miracle player riding the pine.

Indont think playcalling in the 4 OT was the difference. The difference was the wide receivers have all somehow been made the worst at ball catching I've ever seen (once they've been here over a year) and the defense has raw talent but is completely lost on all levels. The problem is not in game coaching. The problem is the coaching that is supposed to get them ready for games.

This is incoherent. The plays worked as called. Ricardo was coming off a career game against UK where he caught virtually everything thrown his way. Not to mention, who gets targeted largely depends on the progressions and who is open when. Sean is delivering the ball to the open receiver. It makes no sense not to target RL.

As I recall he dropped a couple in the KY game but we won so they are sort of forgotten. Louis still caught the most passes in Arky game even with umpteen drops. Problem is he is our No. 1 go to guy and if he is open that's where ball goes. White would probably have to answer to Coaches if he went to Ray, Smith, or King over an open Louis.

Archived