Bernie Sanders on Income Inequality, Disappearing Middle Class..

DKW 86

Seriously.....where do we get the money from 10 years out? What happens when there's a dive in the stock market and the well runs dry? Do we raise taxes again and again? Strawmen and extremes aside (some of you need to understand that I am going to make wild comments to stir the pot) how in world would we be able to afford this kind of social state? It looks great from a campaign standpoint (if you believe in social justice) but how long could we even do something like this and sustain it? I don't see it happening.....

Rather than think about the stock market, think about the economy. Think about the relationship between production and consumption. You cannot have one without the other. Relative equality makes the consumption/production relationship more likely, more possible. Relative equality is essential for growth. Relative equality is essential for creating a broad, diverse economy. If consumerism is limited to necessity items, there are sectors of the economy that disappear. Think about the tax implications.

Is the stock market a reflection of the economy or, is the economy a reflection of the stock market (without QE)?

Is our real problem policies and programs or, is the real problem a lack of broad economic growth?

This goes back to the contention that I have raised numerous times: we need a culture shift in this country as to the worth and value of a man's labor. We have imbibed an ethic that the spoils of success (profits) wholly belong to rich business owners to dole out to the little people as they see fit. Labor is just one more item on the expense side of the ledger, same as the cost of raw materials, the power bill and other costs of doing business. We treat human beings (our labor force) just like we do inanimate objects like buildings, materials and so on - with the sole object being to minimize and cut that cost as much as we can get away with. We've bought the notion that a company has no moral obligations - just a fiscal one to return maximum value back to shareholders.

This is wrong morally and as people are trying to point out regarding the loss of consumer buying power in the middle and lower class, it is unsustainable. An economy where virtually all the extra dollars go to a small subset of already rich individuals will eventually collapse like a house of cards.

This shift needs to occur from a couple of angles. You point out the need for change with the business owner's perspective and it is a valid point. Workers need to change as well. I oversee a business that employees 70 truck drivers. These drivers make 50k to 80k per year, have subsidized group health insurance, retirement and profit sharing. The drivers are home and sleep in their own beds every day or night (wish I had that luxury). My biggest problem with this business is finding another 15 drivers to fill out this fleet. We offer signing bonuses for new drivers (up to 5k) along with safety bonuses every 6 months. Where are these workers that are being locked out of the middle class? Do they not want to drive a truck? We sure could use them to grow this business.

BTW, if we fill my 15 openings I can certainly place any other job/career seekers across the street at any of my competitors' businesses. They are facing the same challenge.

Also, if these people are looking to be part of the "rich/elite" class of business owners, then I can sell them a very profitable small business at a very fair price. Of course they need to take on the work load, the liability and service the debt that go along with it.

Good example of small business and the challenges that go with it. Thank you for stepping up!

So, the American people have become inherently lazy and, will not work? I am not so sure. Are there any other factors that could explain this specific situation?

Two good questions. I struggle with the answers (otherwise we would not be short on employees). If the American people were lazy then we would not have 70 hard working loyal drivers. It is hard work and every penny of salary is earned. We are toying with funding driving school tuition to cover any short term financial barriers from entering the profession. It is just surprising to hear about all the unemployment and the death of the middle class when I witness an industry that struggles to staff to the required levels daily.

As a 15 year veteran of the truckinhg industry, I can attest to a number of factors. Number onecid it still suffers from an image problem. People think of drivers as bubba, dirty and nasty. It's not an easy life, especially for OTR drivers. Then you have the hassle with shippers and receivers and traffic. People just get burned out. I can tell you that the industrywide shortage is only going to get worse. Now what you do is different in that your guys get home each night but even in that situation it can be highly stressful. This e-log rule that is about to kick in is going to exacerbate the problems as veterans are just going to say the hell with it and retire.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Income inequality is merely an outcome of bad policy. It is not evil, it is not unfair, it is not caused by the evil 1%; it is an outcome as sure as death...as long as we pursue current policies. The only solution to income inequality is jobs growth and the growth of the skills of the labor pool to demand wage growth. No amount of taking from one group to give to another will lift wage growth. It will only create more waste and further dependence on the gov't. You will actually have an accelerated level of inequality propped up by taking from one group to give to an ever marginalized middle class.

Successive gov't; both Dem and Repub have created policies that created the current situation. NAFTA, Permanent China Trade agreement, etc., and the most recently completed TPP are leading culprits. When we create incentives for businesses to move overseas; no one should be surprised when businesses do that and jobs go away and wages stagnate (well, domestic wages stagnate; foreign wages in China, India, MX, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc., have exploded during this period).

I have a very simple point of view on how to deal with income inequality....two very simple principles:

• Job growth in the US supported by an industrial policy targeted at the growth industries/technologies of the next 200 years.
  • Train US workers to lead the world in these areas...starting in elementary schools...

Look at our past...whether it was roads, rails, air travel, ships, electricity, nuclear, medicine...for the last 200 years we have lead these growth industries/technologies...and if we weren't the leader to begin with, we figured it out and became the fast follower winner....with our government fully behind developing these industries and technologies and ensuring we had a labor pool to support them. We abandoned this about 30 years ago. We had a great chance to renew this approach 7 years ago...we even had a president who said we were going to $1T (that's trillion with a T) and apply it to "shovel ready jobs". What a load of horse***t. We didn't build anything...we pissed away $1T in potential stimulus on nothing.

We need the Jobs Growth Marshall plan for ourselves. We need to use the same approach we did with Interstates or NASA, etc., and choose to go all in with our $$. I am not opposed to stimulus spending...or Keynesian approaches aimed at specific national goals...I am opposed to lying sacks of s*** saying it and then doing something else with the $$.

To more specifics:

Job Growth:

• Pick 3-5 major national goals (something like "building 50k miles of high speed rail to crisscross the nation in the next 50 years") and then support our industries in developing the best tech (or stealing the best tech from the Chinese) and start it. Creat an agency (like NASA) with only this goal. Allocate the $$ from the existing pool of wasted $$ being spent by Commerce and go do it. Some of the items to choose from:
    • NASA already exist...give it a real extra-terrestrial space mission and focus on that...exclusively...if it's going back to the moon; or mars or whatever...but put all the $$ in things that support that one goal..."Send astronauts to Mars and safely return them by 2025" for example...no one can say what NASA's mission is is now...that was not the case when it was created.
    • Electricity grid...expand it...make it more robust...crashproof and terrorproof by 2030...decentralize it...use every source of energy that is exploitable today and commit to developing completely renewable sources by the end of the century.
    • Medicine, "we will cure cancer by 2050"...
    • you get the point by now I assume...three to 5 priorities only...you can't do more anyway...clear national priorities will spur job growth...

Education:

• Set the national goals in the areas that align to the above priorities...but just set the goal...a document like the Constitution...not thousands of pages of regulation...no more than one or two page goals for each priority...the Constitution is only 4 handwritten pages...
  • and then get the hell out of the State's ways to go do it ...
  • Re-institute vocational training...repurpose a large portion of the JUCO's for this...train and create apprenticeships..
  • Four year colleges get funding for degrees that support these programs...no other programs get Fed $$...e.g., Gene technology, Basic engineering that supports building out a new more resilient electrical grid, etc....No Fed $$ to anything else.
  • Take the $80b a year we now spend on the Dept of Ed and give it all to the states...simple formula...if you have 10% of the students...you get 10% of the $$ for these goals only....
  • If folks want to be liberal arts majors...that's just great...but, the countries $$ will go to creating engineers, rail engineering technicians, rail construction workers, composite rail car builders, composites research, etc...medical tech's, gene splicers, etc...

Most of this I have previously published... the only solution to this is jobs growth. Wages won't go up until we have more sustainable jobs growth... worker skills have to match the market...if not, no one will pay more for a liberal arts major that thinks they should get $15/hour for just showing up...that's the workforce version of the "participation trophy". Our policies for the last 30-40 years have created this inevitable situation. We have one party in denial and other that is so wracked with jealousy and envy it can only think about how to punish the winners. Neither has proposed any solution that will change anything. Once again this past month, our Federal gov't stabbed the US worker in the back...not sure if you saw this or not...our federal gov't came to an agreement to let a Chinese company lead the high speed rail effort on the LA to Vegas high speed rail route. Really? And now TPP...more of the same successes of NAFTA, etc....nothing establishment Dem's or Repub's are proposing anything that will change this. We need people that understand incentives to create jobs and grow wages...domestic jobs and domestic wages...we've made the Chinese rich by global standards with our policies.

Dont agree with everything, but It was awesome to just see real live goals and points.

So let's have a discussion the merits...what do you disagree with? agree with? proposed alternatives?

later today.

Income inequality is merely an outcome of bad policy. It is not evil, it is not unfair, it is not caused by the evil 1%; it is an outcome as sure as death...as long as we pursue current policies. The only solution to income inequality is jobs growth and the growth of the skills of the labor pool to demand wage growth. No amount of taking from one group to give to another will lift wage growth. It will only create more waste and further dependence on the gov't. You will actually have an accelerated level of inequality propped up by taking from one group to give to an ever marginalized middle class.

Successive gov't; both Dem and Repub have created policies that created the current situation. NAFTA, Permanent China Trade agreement, etc., and the most recently completed TPP are leading culprits. When we create incentives for businesses to move overseas; no one should be surprised when businesses do that and jobs go away and wages stagnate (well, domestic wages stagnate; foreign wages in China, India, MX, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc., have exploded during this period).

I have a very simple point of view on how to deal with income inequality....two very simple principles:

• Job growth in the US supported by an industrial policy targeted at the growth industries/technologies of the next 200 years.
  • Train US workers to lead the world in these areas...starting in elementary schools...

Look at our past...whether it was roads, rails, air travel, ships, electricity, nuclear, medicine...for the last 200 years we have lead these growth industries/technologies...and if we weren't the leader to begin with, we figured it out and became the fast follower winner....with our government fully behind developing these industries and technologies and ensuring we had a labor pool to support them. We abandoned this about 30 years ago. We had a great chance to renew this approach 7 years ago...we even had a president who said we were going to $1T (that's trillion with a T) and apply it to "shovel ready jobs". What a load of horse***t. We didn't build anything...we pissed away $1T in potential stimulus on nothing.

We need the Jobs Growth Marshall plan for ourselves. We need to use the same approach we did with Interstates or NASA, etc., and choose to go all in with our $$. I am not opposed to stimulus spending...or Keynesian approaches aimed at specific national goals...I am opposed to lying sacks of s*** saying it and then doing something else with the $$.

To more specifics:

Job Growth:

• Pick 3-5 major national goals (something like "building 50k miles of high speed rail to crisscross the nation in the next 50 years") and then support our industries in developing the best tech (or stealing the best tech from the Chinese) and start it. Creat an agency (like NASA) with only this goal. Allocate the $$ from the existing pool of wasted $$ being spent by Commerce and go do it. Some of the items to choose from:
    • NASA already exist...give it a real extra-terrestrial space mission and focus on that...exclusively...if it's going back to the moon; or mars or whatever...but put all the $$ in things that support that one goal..."Send astronauts to Mars and safely return them by 2025" for example...no one can say what NASA's mission is is now...that was not the case when it was created.
    • Electricity grid...expand it...make it more robust...crashproof and terrorproof by 2030...decentralize it...use every source of energy that is exploitable today and commit to developing completely renewable sources by the end of the century.
    • you get the point by now I assume...three to 5 priorities only...you can't do more anyway...clear national priorities will spur job growth...

Education:

• Set the national goals in the areas that align to the above priorities...but just set the goal...a document like the Constitution...not thousands of pages of regulation...no more than one or two page goals for each priority...the Constitution is only 4 handwritten pages...
  • Re-institute vocational training...repurpose a large portion of the JUCO's for this...train and create apprenticeships..
  • Four year colleges get funding for degrees that support these programs...no other programs get Fed $$...e.g., Gene technology, Basic engineering that supports building out a new more resilient electrical grid, etc....No Fed $$ to anything else.
  • Take the $80b a year we now spend on the Dept of Ed and give it all to the states...simple formula...if you have 10% of the students...you get 10% of the $$ for these goals only....
  • If folks want to be liberal arts majors...that's just great...but, the countries $$ will go to creating engineers, rail engineering technicians, rail construction workers, composite rail car builders, composites research, etc...medical tech's, gene splicers, etc...

Most of this I have previously published... the only solution to this is jobs growth. Wages won't go up until we have more sustainable jobs growth... worker skills have to match the market...if not, no one will pay more for a liberal arts major that thinks they should get $15/hour for just showing up...that's the workforce version of the "participation trophy". Our policies for the last 30-40 years have created this inevitable situation. We have one party in denial and other that is so wracked with jealousy and envy it can only think about how to punish the winners. Neither has proposed any solution that will change anything. Once again this past month, our Federal gov't stabbed the US worker in the back...not sure if you saw this or not...our federal gov't came to an agreement to let a Chinese company lead the high speed rail effort on the LA to Vegas high speed rail route. Really? And now TPP...more of the same successes of NAFTA, etc....nothing establishment Dem's or Repub's are proposing anything that will change this. We need people that understand incentives to create jobs and grow wages...domestic jobs and domestic wages...we've made the Chinese rich by global standards with our policies.

Dont agree with everything, but It was awesome to just see real live goals and points.

I absolutely agree with the sentiment. Stop mindlessly spending. Start thoughtfully investing.

I can appreciate the short-term policy that stemmed the systemic nature of the 2008 crisis but, we forgot to adapt that policy to something more productive and effective over the long-term.

I have to wonder how much the political divide contributes to undermining effective policy? And, while I do not blame the 1%, I have to wonder if the wealthiest .01% have figured out how to bend our government to their will. There is certainly plenty of money being thrown at lobbying and political campaigns. Given what is traceable, is that a reasonable assumption?

Point 1; agreed

Point 2; well, the $1T was presented as something it was not...shovel ready jobs..remember that? In fact, no jobs were created, no infrastructure built, nothing but a higher debt level to show for it...again, Keynesian stimulus in appropriate; that is not what this was ... it was a massive transfer payment and nothing else....

Point 3; smart people with means (means being money, lawyers, accountants, influence peddlers, etc.) will always find a means to beat whatever penalties a gov't tries to put in place to institute "fairness". In some cases just outright buying influence. It's called human nature. It's a fools errand to build your entire economic and tax policy around this group...you can't confiscate enough money from them to fund the rapacious appetite of our bloated system. We need policies that expand opportunity...I don't see any establishment politician with a plan to address this...I hear the outsiders say the right words...I haven't seen enough yet to know how they plan to deal with turning around the broken system.

On this point, I do blame the Uber Rich. I dont think that American Political Parties are now anything more than hired guns or lobbyists for the Wealthiest Americans. Bush43, in one of the very few things his admin got right, predicted the Mortgage/Derivatives Crisis way back in 2005 and was shouted down by Waters, Frank, et al. In 2008, he is blamed for exactly what his admin tried to stop. In 2009, new sheriff in town doesnt go after the Bad Guys on Wall Street, because the new Admin owes so much of their campaign to the same guys. We must break the cycle. We need another Teddy Roosevelt. Someone strong and courageous enough to go after Too Big to Fail, and go after the Money Machine Oligarchy that now runs the US, and BOTH PARTIES.

Shovel Ready was a lie. It may have had great intentions but years later, there was nothing but a bunch of signs across America trumpeting nothing. While i agree that we need jobs, we are still just now getting back to the 2008 Employment Numbers, we must get back to at a minimum the Clinton Tax levels and take a close look at Other revenue enhancements. I still like the Fair Tax with very limited loopholes. It takes most of the squishiness of the IRS out of it and makes taxation simpler and fairer. How do we know that another "Infrastructure" investment wont end up like SR? We dont. But we have to get the economy going again. Job One, finish the XL Pipeline and get jobs going and strengthen us against foreign oil fluctuations.

To more specifics:

Job Growth:

Education:

All of this is great ideas.

Jobs are only one part of the equation. We must address the shear un-believeable depth and breadth of the difference in wealth accumulation. To stop and talk about Income Inequality is to only address about 30-40% of the problem. Do i want to seize assets? NO, but we have to look at developing not just incomes, but WEALTH. Wealth is what carries the long term political strength to do battle against your foes. We must get the Middle Class to recognize the political truth here and to adapt to it. WEALTH, not controlled by the 1%ers is necessary. We must get trained-certified-credentialed Investors, not whomever answered the last ad, handling the Wealth of American Middle Class. In Europe, there is upto an 6-8 year Journeyman System for Investors to go thru. We need that here in America as well. The American Middle Class cannot take another hit like it did in 2008. Folks, they got away with it and if people are right, another bubble is about to burst in Student Debt.

Jobs:

We have to get the Unions overseas and organizing to get the comparative wages up in Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, etc.

We must put teeth into not allowing any company or org that doesnt adhere to our EPA Rules, even in foreign countries, cannot sell here. They have to pay to be certified.

Fix the ACA. Those of us that had good to great plans got slaughtered by the damn thing. "If you like your plan you can keep your plan" is the biggest lie of the 21st Century.

STHU about Repealing the ACA. It is here. It was needed. It is not going away. So quit the political masturbation and get back to reality. Get to Single Payer/Medicare-for-all and move on to something worth talking about.

It isnt just about Income Inequality: It is about Wealth Inequality.

1) Develop not just jobs for America, protect what is here and develop great paying jobs again. Develop a Wealth Mentality in the AMC. That we once again have great jobs. That politics and caring for others matters. Jobs should be part of of how you evaluate your Wealth in America.

2) Move the Middle Class into "Protected Wealth," IOW, Lets really regulate WS where we cannot have another HUGE WEALTH LOSS for the AMC. Start with bringing back Glass-Stegall. Really reform and put prosecution and asset reclamation back on the table. Regulate anyone that deals with SEC Transactions. Make them carry an umbrella liab policy equal to 30% of whatever they manage. That would be a great start. That is a Wealth Benefit to the American Middle Class.

3) Move the Middle Class into "Single Payer-Cant be taken from us ever again Health Care." That is a Wealth Benefit to the American Middle Class.

4) For most of the AMC, SS IS THEIR SINGLE RETIREMENT INCOME. Let's start slowly transforming or managing it into an asset, an annuity-like instrument.

A) Quit taking money from SS.

B )Develop a Tax Plan that repays SS.

c) Slowly Raise, as the Baby Boomers die away, the SS to make it more like a pension than a handout.

5) Power most of all that with a simple plan: If you want to go to college, trade school, etc, you get a free ride. All it will cost you is 1-2% of your gross if you want to buy-in.

You want Americans ready to buy-in? You want Americans happy with their lives and situation? You want Americans to Invest in what it means to be an American AND retain the Huge Wealth Creation Ability of a Jobs, Wozniak, or Gates. We just have to better managers of what we do. Unfortunately, i do not think that any party in DC is ready to do anything but line their own pockets.

Point 1; agreed

Point 2; well, the $1T was presented as something it was not...shovel ready jobs..remember that? In fact, no jobs were created, no infrastructure built, nothing but a higher debt level to show for it...again, Keynesian stimulus in appropriate; that is not what this was ... it was a massive transfer payment and nothing else....

Point 3; smart people with means (means being money, lawyers, accountants, influence peddlers, etc.) will always find a means to beat whatever penalties a gov't tries to put in place to institute "fairness". In some cases just outright buying influence. It's called human nature. It's a fools errand to build your entire economic and tax policy around this group...you can't confiscate enough money from them to fund the rapacious appetite of our bloated system. We need policies that expand opportunity...I don't see any establishment politician with a plan to address this...I hear the outsiders say the right words...I haven't seen enough yet to know how they plan to deal with turning around the broken system.

#1- Problem here is ANY spending by the government is listed as harmful right now. Getting some of the conservatives to see SOME spending as investment has been a huge challenge. There are just simply too many who believe the government shouldn't spend any money at all.

#2- COMPLETELY FALSE! Right after ARRA, the CBO did a report which stated that ARRA lowered the unemployment rate between 0.7 and 1.8 percent, increased the number of employed between 1.4 million and 3.3 million and raised GDP between 1.7 and 4.5 percent.

Also, I work in the transportation sector, and let me tell you that there were several projects that had completely halted due to the fallout in the bond market in 2008. One in particular was in Las Vegas, and the job sent over 3K workers home because the markets froze, and there wasn't enough cash to keep paying the workers. Not only did the project receive a few dollars out of ARRA, but there was a tax provision that unlocked the bond market again. 3K workers were rehired and another few hundred added to complete the project. I helped work on that issue and had contractors calling me and thanking me for getting people back to work. This is only one example. Unfortunately, I think the Administration did a horrible job of communicating the successes of the the stimulus, but in transportation, it really did help.

Unfortunately, our system is being hijacked even more by the "haves" and are stacking the deck against the "have nots" all the while duping the average citizen that supporting the cause of the "haves" is in their best interest.

To more specifics:

Job Growth:

Education:

I absolutely agree with the sentiment. Stop mindlessly spending. Start thoughtfully investing.

I can appreciate the short-term policy that stemmed the systemic nature of the 2008 crisis but, we forgot to adapt that policy to something more productive and effective over the long-term.

I have to wonder how much the political divide contributes to undermining effective policy? And, while I do not blame the 1%, I have to wonder if the wealthiest .01% have figured out how to bend our government to their will. There is certainly plenty of money being thrown at lobbying and political campaigns. Given what is traceable, is that a reasonable assumption?

Point 1; agreed

I think you are somewhat lost on point 3. Yes, people who seek power will always seek out ethically weak politicians. That does not mean we should concede and make it easy for them, legal for them, to buy our government.

Yes, without real growth, inequality will not go away. However, the policies that produce inequality are also a big part of the reason for our rather anemic growth rate. They factor into the low labor participation rate.

As far as taxation goes, I have a real problem with both parties. I detest the concept that the idle rich, the truly wealthy, those who simply make money by the virtue of holding huge amounts of capital (all forms of capital) pay the lowest tax rate. I tend to blame mostly the Republicans for this one but, there are establishment Democrats who have aided this cause.

I also detest the idea that a very hard working entrepreneur who makes $400,000.00/year pays the highest rate. This person is NOT rich, not wealthy. Typically, these individuals work incredible hours under incredible stress. Paying the highest rate means, it is more difficult to reinvest or, ever become truly wealthy. I tend to blame the Democrats more for this situation. Many Democrats do not grasp the concept that these individuals are (relatively) as far from being truly wealthy, as everyone else.

I think we need to understand what "wealthy" means. I think that we need to think about taxation but, that is only one aspect of the policies that are driving both inequality and the slow growth/no growth economy. We need to realize that it is not a matter of the 1%, it is actually the .01%. One great thing about capitalism, we keep score. We know who is winning and why. We now have decades of data and information. The picture seems pretty clear.

I do not begrudge anyone achieving true wealth. In fact, I am quite happy for them. In many ways they achieve ultimate freedom. However, when the seek to take a disproportionate amount of representation in our government as a means to further their interests above the interest of others, I do take exception. When they drive a narrative of poor pitiful me, I take exception. When they disingenuously promote the narrative of "job creator" to a naive public, and naive politicians, who do not understand the meaning of investment versus the economic definition of "real investment", I take exception.

IMO, the problems, and the solutions, are obvious. But, because we are engrossed in the exaggeration and deception of narratives and rhetoric, we do not see them. I truly believe that as far apart as you and I are politically (in terms of rhetoric and narratives), if we honestly discussed solutions, we would find that the divide was not as great as we believe.

Point 1; agreed

#1- Problem here is ANY spending by the government is listed as harmful right now. Getting some of the conservatives to see SOME spending as investment has been a huge challenge. There are just simply too many who believe the government shouldn't spend any money at all.

#2- COMPLETELY FALSE! Right after ARRA, the CBO did a report which stated that ARRA lowered the unemployment rate between 0.7 and 1.8 percent, increased the number of employed between 1.4 million and 3.3 million and raised GDP between 1.7 and 4.5 percent.

Also, I work in the transportation sector, and let me tell you that there were several projects that had completely halted due to the fallout in the bond market in 2008. One in particular was in Las Vegas, and the job sent over 3K workers home because the markets froze, and there wasn't enough cash to keep paying the workers. Not only did the project receive a few dollars out of ARRA, but there was a tax provision that unlocked the bond market again. 3K workers were rehired and another few hundred added to complete the project. I helped work on that issue and had contractors calling me and thanking me for getting people back to work. This is only one example. Unfortunately, I think the Administration did a horrible job of communicating the successes of the the stimulus, but in transportation, it really did help.

Unfortunately, our system is being hijacked even more by the "haves" and are stacking the deck against the "have nots" all the while duping the average citizen that supporting the cause of the "haves" is in their best interest.

I agree with your sentiment but, on point #2, I believe we could have done a much better job. I believe the idealistic side of liberals got the better of them in this case. We needed more immediate, more practical, projects. I believe we could have saved many more jobs and created an environment for broader, more robust growth.

Point 1; agreed

I agree with your sentiment but, on point #2, I believe we could have done a much better job. I believe the idealistic side of liberals got the better of them in this case. We needed more immediate, more practical, projects. I believe we could have saved many more jobs and created an environment for broader, more robust growth.

Again, speaking on direct experience with this legislation, the transportation projects that were funded were already in the pipeline for federal funding. They were all grant eligible projects, and with ARRA they received additional funding to try to get the project done more quickly. Also, agencies who excepted ARRA money had to do additional paperwork with regards to the number of jobs created, cost of job, tracking ARRA $.

However, where I agree with you is ARRA (thanks to Dave Obey) became a Christmas tree for things outside of infrastructure. Some of the initiatives were important, just definitely not in the job creating context and overshadowed the transportation infrastructure piece. Had the bill stuck to infrastructure and tax related provisions, I think the PR around it would have been very different. Those provisions were incredibly successful.

There are still too many people looking to Washington DC to solve every problem. That's the biggest reason for the way things are. As long as we keep feeding that behemoth things ate going to continue as they have been. With a government this large and thus involved in every aspect of our lives, it's ripe for this.The ones that have the means to do so will use their money to gain favor and special breaks. A simple tax code without all the deductions, credits and other breaks isn't worth spending money to try to get all those exemptions. Same goes for all the regulations handed down by these agencies. In short a smaller government means fewer lobbyists since they don't have as much to gain by doing that.

There are still too many people looking to Washington DC to solve every problem. That's the biggest reason for the way things are. As long as we keep feeding that behemoth things ate going to continue as they have been. With a government this large and thus involved in every aspect of our lives, it's ripe for this.The ones that have the means to do so will use their money to gain favor and special breaks. A simple tax code without all the deductions, credits and other breaks isn't worth spending money to try to get all those exemptions. Same goes for all the regulations handed down by these agencies. In short a smaller government means fewer lobbyists since they don't have as much to gain by doing that.

I do not agree that the problems with government are inherent and therefore, we must shrink the size of government.

However, the sentence above, IMO, is how, and why, we should thoughtfully cut out inefficiency. There are too many aspects of government, and it's agencies that are unnecessarily complicated. It feeds bureaucracy. It justifies the existence of too many bureaucrats and, as you pointed out, leaves holes for those who have influence.

So, I agree that we need to trim the size of government but, we should do it with the purpose of efficiency and effectiveness. We should not cut arbitrarily or, just for the sake of reducing regulations. I do not think we should forget the experience of deregulating the financial industry.

To more specifics:

Job Growth:

Education:

Point 1; agreed

I think you are somewhat lost on point 3. Yes, people who seek power will always seek out ethically weak politicians. That does not mean we should concede and make it easy for them, legal for them, to buy our government.

Yes, without real growth, inequality will not go away. However, the policies that produce inequality are also a big part of the reason for our rather anemic growth rate. They factor into the low labor participation rate.

As far as taxation goes, I have a real problem with both parties. I detest the concept that the idle rich, the truly wealthy, those who simply make money by the virtue of holding huge amounts of capital (all forms of capital) pay the lowest tax rate. I tend to blame mostly the Republicans for this one but, there are establishment Democrats who have aided this cause.

I also detest the idea that a very hard working entrepreneur who makes $400,000.00/year pays the highest rate. This person is NOT rich, not wealthy. Typically, these individuals work incredible hours under incredible stress. Paying the highest rate means, it is more difficult to reinvest or, ever become truly wealthy. I tend to blame the Democrats more for this situation. Many Democrats do not grasp the concept that these individuals are (relatively) as far from being truly wealthy, as everyone else.

I think we need to understand what "wealthy" means. I think that we need to think about taxation but, that is only one aspect of the policies that are driving both inequality and the slow growth/no growth economy. We need to realize that it is not a matter of the 1%, it is actually the .01%. One great thing about capitalism, we keep score. We know who is winning and why. We now have decades of data and information. The picture seems pretty clear.

I do not begrudge anyone achieving true wealth. In fact, I am quite happy for them. In many ways they achieve ultimate freedom. However, when the seek to take a disproportionate amount of representation in our government as a means to further their interests above the interest of others, I do take exception. When they drive a narrative of poor pitiful me, I take exception. When they disingenuously promote the narrative of "job creator" to a naive public, and naive politicians, who do not understand the meaning of investment versus the economic definition of "real investment", I take exception.

IMO, the problems, and the solutions, are obvious. But, because we are engrossed in the exaggeration and deception of narratives and rhetoric, we do not see them. I truly believe that as far apart as you and I are politically (in terms of rhetoric and narratives), if we honestly discussed solutions, we would find that the divide was not as great as we believe.

Not confused at all on #3; growth and what you guys like to call income inequality are not related. The best studies attribute lower capital gains rates as the leading cause of exploding earnings growth among the top income bracket. That has nothing to do with industrial policies that promote foreign development over domestic development; service sector over manufacturing or an education system that is failing the industries that we do have left or throwing money away on a bloated gov't instead of spending the tax $$ we have on valuable programs.. Also, if what you really want is the wealthy paying their "fair" share; the top 1% is paying the highest % of total federal tax receipts in history...so you've already got your wish. How much of total tax receipts must come from the wealthy to make Bernie Sanders happy?

I agree that we could tweak rates and not collapse the economy; I've already called for a return to Clinton era rates. But, if we do that; we will not see one bit of change in income inequality. The rich will still be rich and growing richer, the middle class will still be shrinking, incomes will be stagnant, industries will still be fleeing to foreign shores...and whatever tax receipts come in over and above today will still be pissed away. So again, this fetish with punishing winners does nothing, not jack s***, to deal with the problems we need to deal with.

Only one candidate so far has proposed a plan that deals with both the lefts desire for more taxes on the ultra wealthy and pro growth plans...and that is Trump. I need to hear more about his growth plan...his tax proposal broadens the base and goes after the big banks and hedge fund guys that are making huge income gains and paying relatively low total tax $$.

To more specifics:

Job Growth:

Education:

Point 1; agreed

Not confused at all on #3; growth and what you guys like to call income inequality are not related. The best studies attribute lower capital gains rates as the leading cause of exploding earnings growth among the top income bracket. That has nothing to do with industrial policies that promote foreign development over domestic development; service sector over manufacturing or an education system that is failing the industries that we do have left or throwing money away on a bloated gov't instead of spending the tax $$ we have on valuable programs.. Also, if what you really want is the wealthy paying their "fair" share; the top 1% is paying the highest % of total federal tax receipts in history...so you've already got your wish. How much of total tax receipts must come from the wealthy to make Bernie Sanders happy?

I agree that we could tweak rates and not collapse the economy; I've already called for a return to Clinton era rates. But, if we do that; we will not see one bit of change in income inequality. The rich will still be rich and growing richer, the middle class will still be shrinking, incomes will be stagnant, industries will still be fleeing to foreign shores...and whatever tax receipts come in over and above today will still be pissed away. So again, this fetish with punishing winners does nothing, not jack s***, to deal with the problems we need to deal with.

Only one candidate so far has proposed a plan that deals with both the lefts desire for more taxes on the ultra wealthy and pro growth plans...and that is Trump. I need to hear more about his growth plan...his tax proposal broadens the base and goes after the big banks and hedge fund guys that are making huge income gains and paying relatively low total tax $$.

Are you responding to my post? Did you actually read it? You are pretending to respond to statements I never made or, made the opposite statement. Who are "you guys"?

Are you serious when you assert that income inequality and economic growth have no relationship? You do not believe that outsourcing has contributed to the decline in economic growth and increased inequality? You cannot be serious. I cannot take you seriously.

I still contend you are lost on this part. I think you should try to think about economics in a manner that doesn't attempt to fit political narratives.

I usually come to this forum when I feel agrumentive. This has actually been a good thread. There are some good ideas for macro growth. IMO you need "organic" growth and not growth in areas dictated by politicians that usually don't understand "Main Street" business. Someone mentioned a small business owner being considered rich at a salary of 400 k per year. This nails the problem. A business owner that makes a decent wage and creates a few jobs is bad and should be taxed higher, some suggest up to the 90% level. The real rich are getting extremely rich during this administration due to central banking actions and have created zero jobs (other than attorneys and lobbyist). While the current administration and our future President complains about income inequality. That is freaking comical. And over half of the real rich contribute to these campaigns. What is left of the middle class will be locked into their 401k's while the .01 percent have shorted this fed juiced market bubble. We will blame Wall Street for the crash. The politicians would have blamed hedge funds because that would have been sexy but the hedge fund guys are getting their butts handed to them worse than the middle class. Buckle up. This is getting fun.

To more specifics:

Job Growth:

Education:

Point 1; agreed

Are you responding to my post? Did you actually read it? You are pretending to respond to statements I never made or, made the opposite statement. Who are "you guys"?

Are you serious when you assert that income inequality and economic growth have no relationship? You do not believe that outsourcing has contributed to the decline in economic growth and increased inequality? You cannot be serious. I cannot take you seriously.

I still contend you are lost on this part. I think you should try to think about economics in a manner that doesn't attempt to fit political narratives.

We seem to be talking past each other...and maybe I misunderstood the points you were making...my point was Tax policy aimed at taxing the rich more; will do nothing to spur economic growth. So the proposed soak the rich more tax policies will not reduce income inequality. That is my point...you can tax hedge fund guys at 90%; the middle class will still be taking it in the ass from the Chinese worker and the US politician.

Both parties are to blame...Dem's now take more PAC and corporate money than Repubs...Obama was completely bought and paid for to the tune of over $1b. Bush, Hillary, etc., are all absolute whores to campaign $$.

The only way to increase domestic growth; is to stop disincentives for investing in US jobs...or said another way, start investing in US domestic industry, education, etc. Any candidate with a serious proposal to this effect gets my vote. Taxing rich people more has no effect on this...it is a placebo for the vindictive.

To more specifics:

Job Growth:

Education:

Point 1; agreed

We seem to be talking past each other...and maybe I misunderstood the points you were making...my point was Tax policy aimed at taxing the rich more; will do nothing to spur economic growth. So the proposed soak the rich more tax policies will not reduce income inequality. That is my point...you can tax hedge fund guys at 90%; the middle class will still be taking it in the ass from the Chinese worker and the US politician.

Both parties are to blame...Dem's now take more PAC and corporate money than Repubs...Obama was completely bought and paid for to the tune of over $1b. Bush, Hillary, etc., are all absolute whores to campaign $$.

The only way to increase domestic growth; is to stop disincentives for investing in US jobs...or said another way, start investing in US domestic industry, education, etc. Any candidate with a serious proposal to this effect gets my vote. Taxing rich people more has no effect on this...it is a placebo for the vindictive.

Japan you are making some sense. I would however if necessary use the tax hike as a threat to keep jobs here and wages up.

Just as a point of form on the forum. I do not recall ever reading many posts on here that had more than two imbedded quotes in it that actually had any real meaning or substance to it.

I submit:

Number of Imbedded Quotes >2: The Hysterical-ness of those Posting

Alexeva, I think the tax hikes should be made period; again, return to Clinton era rates and we will get some more receipts without tanking growth; most Repubs fear any hike hitting growth; but I think most of the scholarship on this says it would be a safe move...going after the hedge fund guys could also be effective at getting more $$; but I hate calling out specific classes to just go after because we don't like how much they are making..the gov't doesn't have a right to $$ just because they don't like you. But, there is probably some sensible middle ground....and Trump's proposal is reasonable.

I don't think you need a threat of tax hikes to help on growth...you need to align incentives. The reason we move jobs overseas now is because all the incentives line up that way. A business man is a fool if they don't. Our political class creates incentives for American business to move out of America. If our tax rates are 2x-3x foreign tax rates, the $$ will go offshore..period. I've been down this path myself too many times. Tax rates, more often than not, overcome other business considerations. NAFTA, China Permanent agreements, and now PTT all stack the deck to moving outside the US; thru tariff structures and other production and access incentives. They create incentives to screw the American worker in favor of the Chinese, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Mexican, etc., worker over our own citizens. You know what our politicians do in these agreements; they create a provisions to help those that they destroyed their jobs. That is how the political class protects the American worker. They create an agreement that destroys your job, they know it will destroy your job..and then write in a provision that says we'll help you find another one... Can you believe this crap? They create a program that will kill you; but don't worry, they'll give you medicine to treat your symptoms as you die.

The issue is the political class. They don't create value; they don't know how to create value. They don't have real jobs. They have made up jobs. Look at the people running for President...how many of them has ever had a real job where they dealt with the crush of regulation and bureaucracy gov't creates? where they created a job? where they sweated making a payroll, where they had to set across a table and tell a single Mom or a father of 3 that their job was moving to India or China because their gov't created incentives too sweet for the business to ignore....we've created this beast and we need to tear it down now. The more I see the more our gov't reminds me of Napoleon's gov't. It serves itself, it can be bought and it moves at the whim or the emperor...all without regard to the devastation it leaves in it's wake.

To more specifics:

Job Growth:

Education:

Point 1; agreed

I do not understand your comment. I agree with you. Tax policy is only one issue. I was very specific about exactly who is "wealthy". I was very specific about who is not paying their fair share of taxes. I was very specific about the effects of, and the hypocrisy of, outsourcing (trade policy in general).

I do not see you honestly and sincerely attempting to engage in discussion.

For FY 2015 the federal government took in 3.2 trillion in revenue. We are not short of money. The problem is allocation of resources. The only purpose of the taxes is to raise revenue. It's not for social engineering.

This is overly simplistic. Of course tax policy has some social engineering aspect to it. For instance, we give tax exemptions for children to encourage people to have families. We have a mortgage interest exemption to encourage more home ownership. We have sin taxes on things like cigarettes to discourage smoking (and thus promote healthier lifestyles and lower our health care costs).

Ichy, you say:

I do not understand your comment. I agree with you. Tax policy is only one issue. I was very specific about exactly who is "wealthy"

• OK, so the 0.1%...what is your proposed policy? it seems like just tax the hell out of them because you don't like that they are making a lot of money...is that it? If not, please clarify. I see the complaint but struggle to understand your proposal and how it is relevant to growth, jobs, etc.

I was very specific about who is not paying their fair share of taxes.

• Fair determined by whom? These folks are complying with current tax law and policy. So by the definition of the political chattering class; they are paying their fair share...how much is fair and why is that fair? what is the policy aim of additional taxes on this group and how would this increase growth?

I was very specific about the effects of, and the hypocrisy of, outsourcing (trade policy in general).

• You've got to clarify then...because I see no references to trade policy or outsourcing in your notes...what is the hypocrisy?

As to your half assed comment on me not engaging seriously on a discussion, I'm going to assume you're having a bad week...I do not see you honestly and sincerely attempting to engage in discussion

• OK, I think I've gone above and beyond on specifics...what would you like me to add clarity on...

For FY 2015 the federal government took in 3.2 trillion in revenue. We are not short of money. The problem is allocation of resources. The only purpose of the taxes is to raise revenue. It's not for social engineering.

This is overly simplistic. Of course tax policy has some social engineering aspect to it. For instance, we give tax exemptions for children to encourage people to have families. We have a mortgage interest exemption to encourage more home ownership. We have sin taxes on things like cigarettes to discourage smoking (and thus promote healthier lifestyles and lower our health care costs).

But his point is right...$3.2T (trillion, with a T) is enough. And yes, we do social engineering...but the majority is misguided bull****. It needs to be serious, reflect serious national priorities that keep us strong/competitive as a nation. Being everyone's Nanny is not a serious national priority.

Ichy, you say:

I do not understand your comment. I agree with you. Tax policy is only one issue. I was very specific about exactly who is "wealthy"

• OK, so the 0.1%...what is your proposed policy? it seems like just tax the hell out of them because you don't like that they are making a lot of money...is that it? If not, please clarify. I see the complaint but struggle to understand your proposal and how it is relevant to growth, jobs, etc.

I was very specific about who is not paying their fair share of taxes.

• Fair determined by whom? These folks are complying with current tax law and policy. So by the definition of the political chattering class; they are paying their fair share...how much is fair and why is that fair? what is the policy aim of additional taxes on this group and how would this increase growth?

I was very specific about the effects of, and the hypocrisy of, outsourcing (trade policy in general).

• You've got to clarify then...because I see no references to trade policy or outsourcing in your notes...what is the hypocrisy?

As to your half assed comment on me not engaging seriously on a discussion, I'm going to assume you're having a bad week...I do not see you honestly and sincerely attempting to engage in discussion

• OK, I think I've gone above and beyond on specifics...what would you like me to add clarity on...

Sorry but, you aren't making a genuine effort. Everything you ask has already been answered. You have wasting your time and mine.

The federal budget for 2015 is $3.8 trillion. $2.45 trillion of that is mandatory spending with another 0.29 trillion in interest payments. This mostly Medicare and Social Security. That leaves about $1.1 trillion in discretionary spending.

Here's the breakdown of that discretionary spending:

Military: $559 billion (53.71% of discretionary spending)

Government: $72.9 billion (6.54%)

Education: $69.98 billion (6.28%)

Medicare/Health: $66 billion (5.93%)

Veterans' Benefits: $65.3 billion (5.86%)

Housing/Community: $63.2 billion (5.68%)

No other category accounts for more than 3.67% of the discretionary spending (includes transportation, energy/environment, science, food/agriculture, international affairs)

So when you step back and look, three things eat up the total federal budget: Military spending, Social Security and Medicare. It's 76.5% of all spending.

Medicare is already one of the most efficient programs out there. It operates more efficiently than even private insurance companies. Social Security technically isn't regular tax dollars. It's meant to be paid back out to the folks that paid into it. That leave military spending. When is the last time you heard a conservative with even a modicum of power in government suggest serious cuts in defense spending? To the contrary, almost all of them want to spend more.

I don't claim that there isn't wasteful spending. But I don't see anyone talking seriously about cutting those Big Three budget items. So once you remove interest payments on debt and veterans' benefits (another area that no one is seriously saying is a waste and can be cut), you're talking about trying to squeeze huge savings out of only 13.2% of the federal budget. Bascially $500 billion divided among 8-10 categories like transportation, science, housing, agriculture, etc.

So it isn't really $3.2 Trillion we're truly working with here. It's about half a trillion.

Archived