John Cubelic on Duke Dismissal

Weegle777

Was Duke standing up for a friend in a bar fight? If he was, it was an admirable thing to do. Malzahn does not advise players to simply stay out of bars altogether. So, what was Duke's fault in this scenario? What was the rule that he was breaking?

The Rule: Stay out of trouble.

If you have a self-discipline problem and it puts your chosen life path at risk, you find a way to manage it. If you have drinking problem, you stay away from alcohol and, if you lack self-discipline, people who drink and places where drinking occurs. That goes for drugs, gambling and fighting as well. If this had been the first incident, he'd have gotten a pass. It wasn't the first, second or third incident. At some point, your boss, coach, spouse or twelve-step bro is going to get tired of the drama and cut you loose.

No responsible adult should be surprised or be second-guessing Gus' decision regarding Duke.

this

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'm totally sure that Gus kicked Duke off the team because he was doing the right thing. Yeah, buddy.

Well, I'm not going to vouch for Gus's character, because I don't know him. I do think he realized he was in jeopardy of losing his team if he did not do the right thing, and keep his word.

Was Duke standing up for a friend in a bar fight? If he was, it was an admirable thing to do. Malzahn does not advise players to simply stay out of bars altogether. So, what was Duke's fault in this scenario? What was the rule that he was breaking?

Read back through the last page or two and find the part about a teammates jaw possibly being broken and I suspect you will have your answer...

It seems that Duke is one of those guys that has a few drinks and then lets his anger get the best of him and ends up in a fight. Drinking and fighting is about as bad a combination as drinking and driving is. Duke really needs help but at this point that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

The thought that he is effecting the entire team and the entire team now can get better is the funniest thing I've ever heard in my life

The thought that he is effecting the entire team and the entire team now can get better is the funniest thing I've ever heard in my life

It's not out of the realm of possibility. A bad apple can spoil an entire basket if allowed to do so. It happens all the time in sports and in life.

If that's the case then our team is so mentally weak we won't be good for years...it's nothing I've ever experienced on any team I've ever been on in any sport. If a guys attitude makes you miss assignments, not tackle, not block as hard, not make a catch they're the one with character concerns

You know this board. If you have info to share, you better have a highly respected and correct source that you're willing to name.

Otherwise it's just BS!....lol

great article. glad to see it from a respected former player.

never heard of him.

Cole Cubelic's younger brother.

never heard of him.

:yes:

never heard of him.

:yes:/>

figured they were related but i still don't recall him on the team. Was he a walkon?

It's not out of the realm of possibility. A bad apple can spoil an entire basket if allowed to do so. It happens all the time in sports and in life.

Opinions vary

http://mentalfloss.com/article/31666/does-one-bad-apple-really-spoil-whole-bunch

Just one person's opinion. Respect..but it really seems like one guy trying to justify the top and a little too biased to get an objective read on it

lets hope Gus doesn't make anymore mistakes in deciding who should play.

Amazing that through spring & fall camp this would be an issue. But it seems sleays to be the case.

This board is living proof of emt's post on occasion

never heard of him.

Two brothers attacking AU at the same time. Coincidence? I doubt it. cole was on a rant the other day about how the coaches were teaching it wrong and acted like he knew everything there was to know about football so the coaches had to be wrong. This coming from a guy that never coached anywhere ever, never played pro ball and was on a team with 2 consecutive losing seasons. Not sure why these brothers are on the attack...I guess they must have predicted greatness this season and need to save face by laying blame.

Archived