Duke

auburnatl1

We had something like 10 passing attempts through 3 quarters. Most of which were under 10 yards. Hard to spotlight a WR with only 10 passes.

We were starting a RFr who had never taken a snap and had supposedly been beaten out in spring ball by a gentleman who had thrown 6 int's (should be 10). I understand the conservative game plan. It basically took us back to week 1. It generally takes Gus 3-4 games to figure out what he can do with the offense. I hate excuses, but it's the harsh reality. I hope by week 8 or 9 we are the team that nobody wants to play. Not sure that will happen but what else can we hope for at this point?

So then why start him vs MSU? You have a cupcake and a bye week coming up. Start him then. You start JJ and run the read Option with very limited passes.

I understand it hindsight... But I just don't think it was a smart move.

We had something like 10 passing attempts through 3 quarters. Most of which were under 10 yards. Hard to spotlight a WR with only 10 passes.

We were starting a RFr who had never taken a snap and had supposedly been beaten out in spring ball by a gentleman who had thrown 6 int's (should be 10). I understand the conservative game plan. It basically took us back to week 1. It generally takes Gus 3-4 games to figure out what he can do with the offense. I hate excuses, but it's the harsh reality. I hope by week 8 or 9 we are the team that nobody wants to play. Not sure that will happen but what else can we hope for at this point?

So then why start him vs MSU? You have a cupcake and a bye week coming up. Start him then. You start JJ and run the read Option with very limited passes.

Because we actually had a chance to win the game with White starting. He led what should have been 4 touchdown drives. He screwed up one of them- his first drive as a college quarterback. The folks around him screwed up the other 3.

Exactly!

Exactly!

Not sure where this concept that an underperforming player should be rewarded with more touches came from. Doesn't seem to apply elsewhere.

Exactly!

Not sure where this concept that an underperforming player should be rewarded with more touches came from. Doesn't seem to apply elsewhere.

This has been the formula for prima donna receivers since I can remember. Everyone is picking on Duke, but he's not the only receiver who's been underperforming.

And I'm not making excuses for poor effort even though it seems that way. Our entire passing game needs to be reevaluated, from pass blocking to play calling, to scheme, routes, the way we coach our qbs, etc.

We have too much talent across the board to struggle as much as we have passing the football.

I saw the second half last night and all of the LSU game. The idea that Duke isn't blocking in the run game is not supported by what I've seen. He was dogging it against Louisville, and he was a non-factor against JSU. Since then, he's been blocking. He's been involved.

It's not all sunshine from what I've seen though. I can't believe he dropped that ball in the third or fourth or whenever. That's a catch we have to have, and frankly, it looked like he was more interested in protecting his body than making the catch.

Duke is a tricky player to balance. We're not getting him the ball enough. That's just a fact. You force the ball into the hands of your best playmakers. We're doing that for some guys (moving Kerryon Johnson and Roc Thomas all over the field), but we're not doing it for Duke. At the same time, he's not maximizing the opportunities when we do look his way. I'll be he has more drops in these four games than he had all of last season. Seriously. It's a chicken/egg situation though. Better effort will result in more looks, and for a guy like Duke, more looks will result in better effort. One has to come first.

I saw the second half last night and all of the LSU game. The idea that Duke isn't blocking in the run game is not supported by what I've seen. He was dogging it against Louisville, and he was a non-factor against JSU. Since then, he's been blocking. He's been involved.

It's not all sunshine from what I've seen though. I can't believe he dropped that ball in the third or fourth or whenever. That's a catch we have to have, and frankly, it looked like he was more interested in protecting his body than making the catch.

Duke is a tricky player to balance. We're not getting him the ball enough. That's just a fact. You force the ball into the hands of your best playmakers. We're doing that for some guys (moving Kerryon Johnson and Roc Thomas all over the field), but we're not doing it for Duke. At the same time, he's not maximizing the opportunities when we do look his way. I'll be he has more drops in these four games than he had all of last season. Seriously. It's a chicken/egg situation though. Better effort will result in more looks, and for a guy like Duke, more looks will result in better effort. One has to come first.

Watch Kerryon's runs to his side in the first half last night if you get a chance. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Good post.

Duke's butt need to hit the bench until he decides to actually get out on the field and put forth some effort. He looks lazy and uninspired out there, like he doesn't care.

Seems to me that he is looking ahead to the league and is protecting his future. Probably regrets not declaring last year.

the way he is playing i wish he would have left. That way i would not expect to have a dominating receiver this year. At least SW got the ball his way more.

Not sure if anyone noticed on sideline last night duke and ricardo both looked light years away when white was trying to motivate

Our two best WRs and nobody seems able to get them interested in the game. Wonder what's going on there ?

Good WRs find ways to get open, a quick decisive move, a subtle push off ....something. For guys like Duke and Louis to be so easy to cover.....it's on them IMO.

my point exactly 64

I've been saying the same thing all year. We run the same plays (since gus has been calling plays) for 7 years. Other than the wide receiver slip screen, we dont have a screen play to a running back. Perfect call on a blitz. Tired of the same plays

I was begging for screens when it was very clear that MSU was bringing the heat to Sean...especially on passing 3rd downs. Help your QB out! Yet we want to run long reverse action pass plays and nearly get Sean killed. Our WRs run constantly are running junior high/high school WR routes. Just baffles me.

Gus was a high school offensive genius so...

I was in the nosebleeds and may be wrong but towards the end of the game didn't SW throw a beauty to Duke on a reasonably deep dig route. It looked like he caught it but got popped and dropped it. I freaked when he didn't dive on the ball. Again, i was far away.

Exactly!

This has been the formula for prima donna receivers since I can remember. Everyone is picking on Duke, but he's not the only receiver who's been underperforming.

And I'm not making excuses for poor effort even though it seems that way. Our entire passing game needs to be reevaluated, from pass blocking to play calling, to scheme, routes, the way we coach our qbs, etc.

We have too much talent across the board to struggle as much as we have passing the football.

+1.

If I were Gus, my play calls for SJSU would be pitch and catch with Sean and Duke. Make chemistry between your new qb and your most talented player, even if it means forcing it.

Concerning Duke, I don't know how he is still on the team. I think he's a talent no doubt, but he doesn't make an effort every snap. Ole Miss's WR's block their tails off. MSU's WR's blocked our butts. Duke half-asses when the ball isn't coming his way. Think defenses don't notice this? Essentially makes it 11 vs 10 when Duke isn't the primary target.

And Duke isn't by himself the other wr's aren't blocking either so that makes it 11 on 8 or 7.

Archived