what is anyone hearing about melvin ray?

aubiefifty

it always seems like he is auburns man of mystery. he seems to get little press. i keep hearing he is good but it seems he never gets to do much but block. i personally would love to see him break out and score about three td's when the iron bowl rolls around. has anyone heard or expect anything?

I try not to question coaches, short of game day. On game day, I'm a goob like most of us. He is tremendously gifted and seems to catch EVERYTHING. I wish someone in the know would fill us both in.

A few years back, when Ray first came to campus, I distinctly remember the Dad of one Auburn player, that used to be a member of the Auburn Eagle board, making all sorts of outrageous claims about Ray and his future in college football. I have yet to see any of the claims come true but I agree, Ray seems to have all the measureables. It's odd that he has not seen the field more in this offense.

Didn't help Melvin that Nick was not a consistent or accurate passer and had his two security blankets that he loved to throw to. Very rarely was anyone targeted that wasn't named Williams or Coates. Perhaps with JJ at the helm, Ray will see more opportunities come his way.

I have been a MR fan since he came to the plains - no real background on him, just some upside I liked about the guy. I think he was overshadowed last year by Duke and was a good replacement for Duke (size and catching ability). I was thinking if Sammie came back and Duke left, we would have a similar tandem as Sammie/Duke last year. But I don't think MR has the speed to replace Sammie for the deep threat. Agree that with Nick in the game, what passes there were, went Duke/Sammie, so hoping MR gets a lot more targets this year and expect him to show out when he does.

I have been a MR fan since he came to the plains - no real background on him, just some upside I liked about the guy. I think he was overshadowed last year by Duke and was a good replacement for Duke (size and catching ability). I was thinking if Sammie came back and Duke left, we would have a similar tandem as Sammie/Duke last year. But I don't think MR has the speed to replace Sammie for the deep threat. Agree that with Nick in the game, what passes there were, went Duke/Sammie, so hoping MR gets a lot more targets this year and expect him to show out when he does.

He can be a huge mismatch in the slot if they choose to go big in the receiving core

If ever we are going to see a guy like Ray stand out, it would be this year since the ball will likely be spread around more with a more accurate QB.

I think he was overshadowed last year by Duke and was a good replacement for Duke (size and catching ability). I was thinking if Sammie came back and Duke left, we would have a similar tandem as Sammie/Duke last year. But I don't think MR has the speed to replace Sammie for the deep threat.

That is a very good analysis. Duke is a possession receiver, MR is also a possession receiver, and we will need a deep threat on the field at all times. I think Ricardo Louis, Marcus Davis, and Stanton Truitt will be our fastest WRs in 2015.

If ever we are going to see a guy like Ray stand out, it would be this year since the ball will likely be spread around more with a more accurate QB.

Agree. If we go with more true three WR sets this year, there are more opportunities for MR to be on the field, and therefore more opportunities for MR to catch the ball.

Another question would be who are our best blocking wide receivers. This will also dictate who is on the field at any given time.

I would think if we go with a standard three WR set, we would ideally want one deep threat, one possession receiver, and one blocking receiver. However, with the Jet Sweep as a playbook staple, and the deep post off off a WR orbit fake, I could also see a standard three WR set with one deep threat, one possession receiver, and one jet sweep threat.

It is hard to say. Put Duke and MR in the game at the same time, and let opposing defenses double-team Duke and throw it to MR. This could work well if Ricardo Davis was on the streak or post route. Alternatively have Duke and MR as a two-deep as possession receivers so we always have one in the game.

MR was and is one of the most important players on the team. I know a lot of folks only look at the stat box for TDs and yardage. MR played probably an average of 30+ snaps a game last year. He is probably the best downfield blocker on the team. If you bother to go back and watch some game film you will see him making some TD springing blocks. Gus and Rhett will tell you that for them to consider a person a good WR they have to be able to do the dirty work and block. MR is definitely a threat and maybe the best clutch receiver we have ( even over DW who I think is a great receiver). Praise the guy for being unselfish, not many with his talent would be the team player he is. He is definitely an Auburn man to the core. WDE

other than Denson (who I barely count as a scholarship player anymore) no one else even gets real praise for their blocking at the receiver spot outside of Ray

Seeing as how other than Duke, he's probably the receiver with the best hands, he needs to get at least Quan Bray minutes

MR was and is one of the most important players on the team. I know a lot of folks only look at the stat box for TDs and yardage. MR played probably an average of 30+ snaps a game last year. He is probably the best downfield blocker on the team. If you bother to go back and watch some game film you will see him making some TD springing blocks. Gus and Rhett will tell you that for them to consider a person a good WR they have to be able to do the dirty work and block. MR is definitely a threat and maybe the best clutch receiver we have ( even over DW who I think is a great receiver). Praise the guy for being unselfish, not many with his talent would be the team player he is. He is definitely an Auburn man to the core. WDE

Good post. :thumbsup:

I hope he has a big year this year. He looked good in the Arkansas game. Also seem to remember him catching a pass (maybe a TD) in the BCS Championship against FSU. I'm definitely interested in seeing our run/pass ratio this season.

And also, because he's a Senior. :poke:

Unless the RB corps can consistently rack up 5 yards or more per carry. Then we'll be running the ball 65% of the time, which, if you can do it, is the best way to win games.

Unless the RB corps can consistently rack up 5 yards or more per carry. Then we'll be running the ball 65% of the time, which, if you can do it, is the best way to win games.

The thing is, if we are consistently racking up 5 yards or more per carry, teams will cheat up on us. That leaves us with 2 alternatives: keep running it and dare them to stop us, or start throwing in some play actions or quick passes. My guess is that Gus will (for the most part) opt to do the latter.

And also, because he's a Senior. :poke:/>

The thing is, if we are consistently racking up 5 yards or more per carry, teams will cheat up on us. That leaves us with 2 alternatives: keep running it and dare them to stop us, or start throwing in some play actions or quick passes. My guess is that Gus will (for the most part) opt to do the latter.

You'd think that, but 2013 showed that if the run game is working, Gus isn't going to call any passes. I feel like we threw something like 9 passes in the 2013 Arky game.

And also, because he's a Senior. :poke:/>

You'd think that, but 2013 showed that if the run game is working, Gus isn't going to call any passes. I feel like we threw something like 9 passes in the 2013 Arky game.

Yes, that does work if you have a run-first quarterback like Nick Marshall. In that case, Gus opted for the 1st of the 2 alternatives- he kept running it and dared them to stop us. In that case, it was a good decision because they couldn't stop us and we won the game. In other cases, Gus has chosen to run play-actions and take advantage of DBs sneaking up to try and help in run support.

Archived