My apologies to the defensive critics

juscAUse

The last two weeks we have played two of the brightest offensive minds in college football. Both have very intimate knowledge of our team. I think that it might have played a part in our defensive performance the last two weeks.

It's not about two weeks. Over the past two seasons we have played 17 power 5 teams and given up 496 points to them. That's an AVERAGE of over 29 points per game. All Ole' Miss did was play an average game against our defense. Giving up around 30 points is what we do.

I understand that this isn't 1957 any more when AU can shut out 8 opponents, but we should be better on D than to average giving up 29 per game.

You insist on using the last 2 years which fails to show how we improved from last year. Why not through in the last three years for effect?

I use the last two years because that's how long the current staff has been in place. Why is that hard for you to comprehend? We've given up 104 points in the last three games. Do you see that as a big improvement ?

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the ol ball coach would like to have EJ back he had pretty good D's at USC.I would love to have a shut down D but we just don't but we do have a great O and I never feel like we are out of a ball game when we get behind.

The last two weeks we have played two of the brightest offensive minds in college football. Both have very intimate knowledge of our team. I think that it might have played a part in our defensive performance the last two weeks.

It's not about two weeks. Over the past two seasons we have played 17 power 5 teams and given up 496 points to them. That's an AVERAGE of over 29 points per game. All Ole' Miss did was play an average game against our defense. Giving up around 30 points is what we do.

I understand that this isn't 1957 any more when AU can shut out 8 opponents, but we should be better on D than to average giving up 29 per game.

You insist on using the last 2 years which fails to show how we improved from last year. Why not through in the last three years for effect?

I use the last two years because that's how long the current staff has been in place. Why is that hard for you to comprehend? We've given up 104 points in the last three games. Do you see that as a big improvement ?

This staff is 19-3! Is it really that bad?

Not to be an apologist, but our D looks worn down. They play a lot of plays and there is no real depth (especially in the secondary). The results are a lot of arm tackling and blown coverages. All the penalties are not helping. How can one team have 3 late hits in the same game? And 2 of them weren't even close.

Where has Trovon Reed been?

After he shut down the KSU WR, I thought for sure he would see a ton of time.

If Mincy was struggling, why not put TR in?

Tackling or not giving up 155 yds in penalties and my Knob Creek bottle would have been a whole lot safer.

This staff is 19-3! Is it really that bad?

No, the record is superb!!! Gus is the best!

But stop and think for a moment what we would be if we had a defense that could match our 3/4s of our offensive production.

Can you say UNSTOPPABLE, boys and girls?

We lack a pass rush because our best player on D is hurt and last year's best pass rusher went to the NFL. LB play has improved. Monty has improved. We've played some of the better offensive minds in the country over the last three games. We don't have great D talent right now. I'll expect better play next year, but given all the circumstances, I'm not ready to fire anyone.

I don't watch enough overall Ball, but it appears that Defenses in general have not caught up to this new style of O.

I would be interested to see if anyone in the nation is playing tough defense against this style of O.

As a casual observer, it appears that scoring is up everywhere as is poor officiating. (Every SEC game seems an abomination with the zebras.)

As for CEJ, I can't help but think he is doing his best with this Defense. We got some studs and it appears he is getting there. I'm keeping the faith. We start calling blitzes to pressure the QB and it puts pressure on the DB's. We complain. We sit back and try coverage sacks that puts pressure on the line. We complain. I think with our inability to pressure the QB with just a line rush, more blitzing is the way forward this year. Maybe an old BUddy Ryan approach, because it appears that they are more often completing passes when we don't pressure them. But that is the risk reward decisions that CEJ gets the big bucks for.

Got to be a 10 year ago Coach Malzahn out there somewhere who is as big a Defensive guru as Gus was (and is) an offensive one!

Find a young Tommy Tuberville somewhere.

The old Tuberville's team has given up 50 points twice this season. It's a different game .

What old Tuberville team? You mean Cincinnatti?

You surely don't think Tubs can recruit at Cincinnati like he could at AU do you?

The nice thing about Tubbs was the ability to coach the 3 stars up. With the number of 4 and 5 stars on this team, we should not be seeing the silly defensive mistakes we are witnessing.

Sure, I admit the game has changed. I admit you are not going to see smothering Ds like in the past. But other teams have defenses that do not have a plethora penalties, can stop 3rd and longs, and can tackle.

The Offensive line played well. Our LBs played well at times. Our Defensive backs are playing way too far off the receivers and have been all year long (and last year as well).

We should be seeing better defensive production than last year. This is another year in this system. I understand we lost Dee Ford and Carl Lawson this year and it has been a huge blow to our pass rush. But our DBs were better last year. We did not have so many stupid penalties last year. That speaks to discipline and that is a coaching thing.

I am not suggesting however that EJ needs to go. I think the entire Defensive coaching staff just needs to figure out how to get this defense to play a complete game. They did with LSU, go back to that!

We lack a pass rush because our best player on D is hurt and last year's best pass rusher went to the NFL. LB play has improved. Monty has improved. We've played some of the better offensive minds in the country over the last three games. We don't have great D talent right now. I'll expect better play next year, but given all the circumstances, I'm not ready to fire anyone.

Well said and on other posts you will be shouted down for this level headed view.

Winning ugly is still winning.

We having the right staff AND they do make good adjustments which the opposition then adjusts to.

If everyone was healthy we'd have a much better performance on D.

Ellis is a great fit and we should be very happy he is here.

Got to be a 10 year ago Coach Malzahn out there somewhere who is as big a Defensive guru as Gus was (and is) an offensive one!

Find a young Tommy Tuberville somewhere.

The old Tuberville's team has given up 50 points twice this season. It's a different game .

What old Tuberville team? You mean Cincinnatti?

You surely don't think Tubs can recruit at Cincinnati like he could at AU do you?

The nice thing about Tubbs was the ability to coach the 3 stars up. With the number of 4 and 5 stars on this team, we should not be seeing the silly defensive mistakes we are witnessing.

Sure, I admit the game has changed. I admit you are not going to see smothering Ds like in the past. But other teams have defenses that do not have a plethora penalties, can stop 3rd and longs, and can tackle.

The Offensive line played well. Our LBs played well at times. Our Defensive backs are playing way too far off the receivers and have been all year long (and last year as well).

We should be seeing better defensive production than last year. This is another year in this system. I understand we lost Dee Ford and Carl Lawson this year and it has been a huge blow to our pass rush. But our DBs were better last year. We did not have so many stupid penalties last year. That speaks to discipline and that is a coaching thing.

I am not suggesting however that EJ needs to go. I think the entire Defensive coaching staff just needs to figure out how to get this defense to play a complete game. They did with LSU, go back to that!

LSU was ripe for the picking when we played them. True freshman qb, true freshman rb, etc. A very low production offense against the big boys.

USC, OM have senior qb's and more experienced talent everywhere, not to mention OM was on the road. The comparison is invalid.

When everyone realizes that we are just average on defense and take the wins anyway we get them, they will be able to enjoy the show. For anyone to say last years defense was better, did not watch the same season as me. Also, the LSU game this year, defensively, was not the norm. They played a true freshmen at quarterback that was way out of his element. He not only missed receivers, but overthrew them by ten yards (high and long).

When everyone realizes that we are just average on defense and take the wins anyway we get them, they will be able to enjoy the show. For anyone to say last years defense was better, did not watch the same season as me. Also, the LSU game this year, defensively, was not the norm. They played a true freshmen at quarterback that was way out of his element. He not only missed receivers, but overthrew them by ten yards (high and long).

If our defense was average I would be ecstatic. We have a long way to go to get to average.

One of the best defenses in the country gave up 35 points last night.

Just for fun. For those that want Ellis gone, please give me the next candidate so we can discuss your decision making skills. Thank you

I think you are wasting your time asking practical questions. I asked the "sky is falling" nervous Nellies that question three pages ago and have yet to get a response. My gut feeling is all those asking for Ellis's head have never had to manage an organization in their life. They do not have a plan. I believe their sequence of reasoning is Ready, Fire, Aim.

If our defense was average I would be ecstatic. We have a long way to go to get to average.

We are #2 in the country in red zone D, behind Miss. State.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/704

#34 scoring D:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/28

#9 in interceptions:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/457

#26 in tackles for a loss:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/467

#30 in 3rd down conversion D:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/701

#19 in turnovers gained:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/460

We are also #13 in scoring O which means other teams know they are going to have to play their best O to keep up:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/27

Our D is not great and not deep in talent. But the level of criticism is out of proportion.

We have to stop this sloppy play, Costly penalties, missed tackles, busted coverages, etc. This has gone on for 5 years and don't understand why it continues. The guys we have playing are all high ranked players wanted by others so the Joe's are not the issue. I give credit to the old ball coach and a couple of the runs by Bo last night but we still had to many missed assignments. The 3 missed tackles on their little pitch for a TD in the 1st was beyond crazy

I guess all the frustration is because we expected to see a much better defense this year and they clearly haven't progressed like we had hoped. When they came out the second half and shut Arky down, and then looked so good against KSU and LSU we hoped they finally turned the corner. Then came the MSU loss which was clearly on the offense's shoulders. But then SC and OM come out and torch us with the passing game. Against SC we had no pass rush. Against OM the pass rush was much better but the secondary couldn't cover, couldn't tackle and had a season's worth of stupid penalties. I don't think for a minute that Gus needs to get rid of the defensive staff. I just hope they can get it together because we are going to need some great game plans and some great play to have a chance against our remaining opponents.

I am still all behind our defense. The few of you wanting Ellis gone right now can calm down. That is definitely not the answer. I sleep better at night knowing that those wanting wanting Ellis gone are not making the decisions about the Auburn football program. The flow of the game is going to be a big reason for the points scored against us most of the time. It's frustrating to watch missed tackles, penalties, and blown assignments, but that is not CEJ's fault. Can't you guys just be happy that we pressured Bo Wallace the whole night? Not only that, but praise Kris Frost.

Just for fun. For those that want Ellis gone, please give me the next candidate so we can discuss your decision making skills. Thank you

I, for one, do not want Ellis gone. I want his defense to improve, which it is not doing. There's always an excuse but opponents keep racking up the points. Next season will be a "rebuilding year". How bad will we be then?

We need more outstanding players on defense but as of now, enough of them don't seen to be interested in Auburn. Check out the recruiting forum's thread "Defensive Recruiting" for details.

Well I do know we need defensive players in recruiting pronto. I'm talking at least two starting their freshman season type of superstars

Everyone complaining about EJ but I never hear anything about the position coaches who are supposed to be doing the actual teaching of things like coverage and tackling skills.

I'm not very sure that our defensive problems are related to game plan.....from all I see, it's the skill deficit that should be addressed....and that's the responsibility of Harbin, Garner and Smith So what's assessment of their job performance?

I, for one, do not want Ellis gone. I want his defense to improve, which it is not doing. There's always an excuse but opponents keep racking up the points. Next season will be a "rebuilding year". How bad will we be then?

We need more outstanding players on defense but as of now, enough of them don't seen to be interested in Auburn. Check out the recruiting forum's thread "Defensive Recruiting" for details.

Just curious, what is your solution, if not replacing CEJ? Shouldn't he be held responsible for our failure to recruit top talent and/or develop players? How long should we give him before shuffling the defensive coaching staff? before outright firing him?

Archived