My apologies to the defensive critics

juscAUse

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will say 3 things about our D 1. We have to work on tackling from out d-backs, 2. work on angles, 3. Stupid penalties must stop after this game. 7-1 and # 3 in all of the land. War Eagle!

Our offense is unstoppable. We should have run the football on 3rd and 1 instead of trying to get pretty and we could have ended the game with a couple more first downs. Again we won, 7-1 #3 in America! War Eagle!

We def. should have ran it on 3rd and 1! Gus got lucky as h3ll b/c I totally would have put that loss on him. Playcalling was suspect. Keep running that rock....don't get too cute.

If Ellis were fired tonight...D could not do any worse for the rest of the year so why not go ahead and cut your losses. There is a reason HS defensive kids want nothing to do with AU. If I were a top defensive recruit, based on coaching alone AU wouldn't make my top 100. A change now is the only hope of a good D signing class although even that is a slim possibility now. Maybe we should just sign 20 offensive players to help overcome giving up 35 every game. EJ shouldn't be coaching anywhere above HS at this point. I hate that I am so down on an AU coach, but the last 2 years of Chizik had better Ds than this and heads need to roll immediately.

If they read how some fans criticize them why would they?

Really? Do you seriously think that affects anything? If so, explain to me how bama has all the players they have with the total mass of idiots they have for fans. If what fans said had anything to do with it, bama wouldn't be able to field a football team period. CEJ has had long enough to show that he can make improvements. He has shown nothing. I would much rather be able to keep a coaching staff together for stability reasons, just what I would rather have, but the D will not get any better with CEJ. There is a ton of evidence that supports that. I wish it weren't true. God knows, I am sick to death of 3rd down conversion after 3rd down conversion, game after game, but we apparently have a DC who cannot do anything about it. Nevermind the poor discipline on routine plays, terrible angles that turn 1 yard gains into 30 yd TDs. It's the entired defensive side of the ball. Every AU fan has got to be tired of this.

I will say 3 things about our D 1. We have to work on tackling from out d-backs, 2. work on angles, 3. Stupid penalties must stop after this game. 7-1 and # 3 in all of the land. War Eagle!

Our offense is unstoppable. We should have run the football on 3rd and 1 instead of trying to get pretty and we could have ended the game with a couple more first downs. Again we won, 7-1 #3 in America! War Eagle!

We def. should have ran it on 3rd and 1! Gus got lucky as h3ll b/c I totally would have put that loss on him. Playcalling was suspect. Keep running that rock....don't get too cute.

Yes. This was a monumentally stupid play call. Let Marshall do his thing on 3rd and 1, he would have picked it up. Should have been going to our strength there instead of away from it.

Yes. This was a monumentally stupid play call. Let Marshall do his thing on 3rd and 1, he would have picked it up. Should have been going to our strength there instead of away from it.

the play was open. nick threw short but corey could have slowed and caught it. they were looking for a run. i like the call. a good throw means 15 or more yard gain.

If Ellis were fired tonight...D could not do any worse for the rest of the year so why not go ahead and cut your losses. There is a reason HS defensive kids want nothing to do with AU. If I were a top defensive recruit, based on coaching alone AU wouldn't make my top 100. A change now is the only hope of a good D signing class although even that is a slim possibility now. Maybe we should just sign 20 offensive players to help overcome giving up 35 every game. EJ shouldn't be coaching anywhere above HS at this point. I hate that I am so down on an AU coach, but the last 2 years of Chizik had better Ds than this and heads need to roll immediately.

Really? Do you seriously think that affects anything? If so, explain to me how bama has all the players they have with the total mass of idiots they have for fans. If what fans said had anything to do with it, bama wouldn't be able to field a football team period. CEJ has had long enough to show that he can make improvements. He has shown nothing. I would much rather be able to keep a coaching staff together for stability reasons, just what I would rather have, but the D will not get any better with CEJ. There is a ton of evidence that supports that. I wish it weren't true. God knows, I am sick to death of 3rd down conversion after 3rd down conversion, game after game, but we apparently have a DC who cannot do anything about it. Nevermind the poor discipline on routine plays, terrible angles that turn 1 yard gains into 30 yd TDs. It's the entired defensive side of the ball. Every AU fan has got to be tired of this.

Fair enough. Tell me this. Do you think CEJ criticism by a half dozen arm chair qb's who've never strapped it up matters to Gus?

The play was open but even if we would have made the play...I still don't like the call...esp. how we were running the ball all night. I just can't grasp not giving the ball to one of the top rushers in CFB. That's the time you put the ball in his hands and say go win the game...or in Nick's hands to run it. CAP has ran for over 100 yards how many games? And he had a great night. Trust your RB to get that yard.

I believe we have lost only three games since the current coaching staff got to Auburn. One loss being in the national championship to a team with a heisman trophy winning QB. Another, being to the current number one team with the current heisman trophy front runner.

Our defense is not great by any means. Often times it looks pretty bad. However, the years that we have been most successful recently have been this way too. I remember being at the AU vs Arky game in our championship season and wondering if we would ever get a stop against a team with their second string QB in.

People need to remember, the grass is not always greener. If we were losing all the time with an awful defense, that's one thing. But, right now we are in a position to make another run and have a great year. Stop stressing out and enjoy the offensive and exciting brand of football that we are seeing right now.

War eagle.

Fair enough. Tell me this. Do you think CEJ criticism by a half dozen arm chair qb's who've never strapped it up matters to Gus?

I played, db. Now what?

Go change your tampon.

Hey.... :angry: :angry: :angry:

Sorry Belle.

I played, db. Now what?

Peewee fball doesn't count.

I played, db. Now what?

If u say so, would knock your pansy ass out though.

Why does everyone always blame the DC when we miss tackles, take bad angles, interfere with or hold eligible receivers, hit late out of bounds, and blow coverages. Shouldn't DB coaches take a little of the resposibility here?

Guest jojo1515

I agree..half a dozen doesnt matter to Gus...the majority of the football world (which I predict it will be) is probably another story. Either way, I'm sure Gus sees what most everyone else sees and will do what he (and his closest advisors) thinks is best. I just persoanlly hope we have a new DC next year. Something is terribly amiss with this D and the blame has to lie at the top IMO.

I played, db. Now what?

If u say so, would knock your pansy ass out though.

Somebody cut him off! Enough already.

Why does everyone always blame the DC when we miss tackles, take bad angles, interfere with or hold eligible receivers, hit late out of bounds, and blow coverages. Shouldn't DB coaches take a little of the resposibility here?

The last two games #6 has been exposed and abused by other teams. Several times though there were blocks in the back onm long runs whcih sprung them. #6 also got mugged on Bo's long run. As expected NO CALL.

Guest LIMESTONETIGER

Position coaches coach positional players. So maybe those wanting Ellis gone want a clean sweep of the entire defensive staff? Tons of posters have been wringing their hands about lack of a pass rush but I don't recall see anyone yelling for Garner's head but the pass rush would primarily be his area of responsibility, right?

The play at the goal line to me showed good coaching and great player tenacity..Frost doing everything he could to keep #1 out of the end zone cand Cass's hustle to recover the ball rather than watching the play. I think our defense accounted for themselves nicely against #4 team in the country at their home (though a bit banged up) except for the penalties.

And on the subject of penalties, just watching the UCLA/AZ game and the PAC12 Defensive POY for last year got an Unsportsmanlike and then a PF/Facemask like 2 plays later on the Wildcats opening drive leading to their first TD. Coach 'em how you will but in the heat of battle even exceptional players are gonna make dumb plays. Guess I'm in the "just win, baby" category and I'm happy to keep our defensive staff intact...for now

Got to be a 10 year ago Coach Malzahn out there somewhere who is as big a Defensive guru as Gus was (and is) an offensive one!

Find a young Tommy Tuberville somewhere.

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of whiners and complainers we have in this fan base. We are 7-1. Not all the wins have been pretty, but we still won them. Pass rush problem goes to CRG, it was nonexistent last week, and guess what defense had 5 sacks tonight? Secondary tackling problem goes to CMS and CCH. I guarantee it'll be better next week. Tired of everyone blaming Coach Johnson every time the defense allows more then 7 points in a game. Give it a rest. It's not all his fault.

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of whiners and complainers we have in this fan base. We are 7-1. Not all the wins have been pretty, but we still won them. Pass rush problem goes to CRG, it was nonexistent last week, and guess what defense had 5 sacks tonight? Secondary tackling problem goes to CMS and CCH. I guarantee it'll be better next week. Tired of everyone blaming Coach Johnson every time the defense allows more then 7 points in a game. Give it a rest. It's not all his fault.

+1

Archived