Nick and a wet ball

eulessau

It seemed to me, that much like the LSU game last year, Nick struggled with throwing a wet ball. There were a couple of series in the 3rd qtr where several passes thrown by Nick seemed to sail on him. I think his hand is just not big enough to effectively throw a wet ball. He had similar problems in last years LSU game.

Maybe Gus should consider going to JJ if similar weather conditions occur.

This is not an issue. 65 yard bomb to Coates was right on the money in the 3rd

Exactly. ...he couldn't have thrown a better pass on that play.

At the beginning of the 3rd qtr it had stopped raining or at least slowed down considerably. The rain had picked back up during the 2 series I am talking about.

Not trying to create a controversy, just making an observation.

I do tend to agree with some on here in that...it seems they are forcing Nick to be something he can't be proficient at. Nick isn't a pocket passer. He has proven to perform better on the run. The majority of his biggest impact plays in the passing game have been from on the run.I think it's because there's not as much deciphering to do on his part. If there's a receiver open he tosses it...if not he picks up what he can. He seems hesitant this year like he's trying to process too much instead of just playing loose and balling out like he did last year. He looks slower now because he is playing slower IMO. Too much hesitation is causing the defense to close on him too quickly opposite of last year when he just reacted and was on the edge before the defense realized it. Also IMO last season's run production had more to do with the effectiveness of Marshall on the edge than it did with anything else. Teams are wising up some and spying Marshall while maintaining the middle. I'm not sure what the fix is other than maybe more short intermediate routes to Uzomah and Bray. Problem is...Nick seems to have some touch problems on passes under 15 yds. Sounds crazy, but I think our quest to force ourselves to be more balanced is in turn hindering the teams potential.

I think his problems with accuracy stemmed more from reverting to old, bad habits with his footwork when he was under pressure.

That is where the majority of his problems come from. Footwork is the key to making good throws.

At the beginning of the 3rd qtr it had stopped raining or at least slowed down considerably. The rain had picked back up during the 2 series I am talking about.

Not trying to create a controversy, just making an observation.

True. On the pass to Cotes it had stopped raining. Plus, Gus admitted the ball was slipping. He said that they failed to get him a dry ball because it was raining so heavily. JJ does have bigger hands.

There is no wet ball problem. If there was something that needed to be addressed; it's tipped passes at the line. Maybe Nick was conscience of this and released the ball higher after MSU batted a couple. I don't know, he's listed at 6-1 so he's not short. Whatever the problem is there, the off week would be a good time to address it.

Nick led us into the red zone 6 times including a 99 yard drive. Our team struggled.....rain or not. The big throw to Sammy was the most difficult pass he had to throw in the rain.

The #1 overall pick in 2011 sails passes. I think they call it being tense.

The tipped balls at scrimmage... I don't think Nick is 6'1". Still a great passer. Keep coaching him up...

There is no wet ball problem. If there was something that needed to be addressed; it's tipped passes at the line. Maybe Nick was conscience of this and released the ball higher after MSU batted a couple. I don't know, he's listed at 6-1 so he's not short. Whatever the problem is there, the off week would be a good time to address it.

I'm 6' 1 1/4" and standing beside Nick he is a solid 6'2" and change.

Most of the time he throws a pretty ball. Whether on the run or in the pocket. I'm still amazed at the game winner he threw to Uzomah in last year's State game. And the throw to Coates, while avoiding the rush, in the SEC game. But each game he seems to throw several low percentage balls. Which won't improve his completion percentage.

I think his problems with accuracy stemmed more from reverting to old, bad habits with his footwork when he was under pressure.

Winner, winner, cd ! NM was reverting to throwing off balance, back-footed passes that sailed. I wished he ran the ball instead.

Archived