T A&M Quarterbacks.

FootballFanatic

What is with the ego naming and glorification of T A&M quarterbacks? I was always an A&M supporter in the past. Was happy to see them come in and win in the SEC.

The weird thing that has come from all of this is the QB glorification. Johnny Football? I got it. Kenny Triil? After one game? Even more so, the parents are trying to Trademark his name?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11506988/parents-texas-quarterback-kenny-hill-file-kenny-trill-trademark

Opinions?

Well, hopefully the kid does end up earning a nickname. Naming oneself, unfortunately, has become more acceptable in this day and age of media coverage and the sheep who eat it up. Personally, I think "Trill" sounds like some kind of fish though.... :dunno:

This is getting absurd. Try doing something for a whole season before doing something like this. Why does everyone need a handle. Why not just be you? It seems to me as though this is more other people than the kid himself. Nobody can trademark the name without his consent anyway so why do the parents feel the need to do it?

I don't begrudge his folks trying to make money fully within the rules (capitalism made America great & all that) while they can off their son's developed talents but I wholeheartedly share your consternation over this guy being held out as the second coming of Johnny Unitas after one monster game.

But this is the truly odd thing IMO. Certain campuses always struggle to get positive media (and traditionally, pollster) attention They usually get it only when something negative happens. Penn State, Clemson, Auburn, Texas A & M, Texas Tech, etc etc. (See a pattern? They're all tiny college towns with no mainstream media nearby and nothing else there but a college). This Hollywood like spotlight on College Station TX may be a tribute to the enduring legacy of Manziel-mania.

Meh. The move by the parents is just smart business in the society we live in. If they/he can make money off it, more power to them.

I think both Manziel and Hill got their nicknames in HS. Of course, that never got much publicity. Hill's performance in game 1 led people to dub him as the next coming of Johnny Football, and Kenny Football started being thrown around. Hill simply said that was Johnny's thing and he preferred the nickname he had in HS. In case you hadn't heard, "trill" is a hip-hop slang term derived from "true" and "real" and is used to refer to someone who is well respected.

We;

Meh. The move by the parents is just smart business in the society we live in. If they/he can make money off it, more power to them.

I think both Manziel and Hill got their nicknames in HS. Of course, that never got much publicity. Hill's performance in game 1 led people to dub him as the next coming of Johnny Football, and Kenny Football started being thrown around. Hill simply said that was Johnny's thing and he preferred the nickname he had in HS. In case you hadn't heard, "trill" is a hip-hop slang term derived from "true" and "real" and is used to refer to someone who is well respected.

Well they certainly can do that if they wish and I certainly don't wish to have some legislation or anything saying they can't. It just seems a bit over the top to me, like people living vicariously through their kids. It is like these parents that push their daughters into the beauty pagents . If I my kids are ever talented enough to play D-1 football, you won't catch me trying to cash in like that.

We;

Well they certainly can do that if they wish and I certainly don't wish to have some legislation or anything saying they can't. It just seems a bit over the top to me, like people living vicariously through their kids. It is like these parents that push their daughters into the beauty pagents . If I my kids are ever talented enough to play D-1 football, you won't catch me trying to cash in like that.

Some of these parents or "legal guardians" have no problem trying to make money off of their talented kids. We've seen a proportedly devout, righteous man entertain offers for his childs services. This is just how the sports industry works these days, it's all about the almighty dollar.

I gotta say, I love watching Kenny Hill play, he's a dang good QB.

We;

It was probably more to keep other people from making money off of him than to live vicariously. Someone in Louisiana filed a trademark claim for "Kenny Trill" the day before his parents did. If things continue on this trajectory, then they won't have any financial worries in a couple of years (knock on wood).

We;

It was probably more to keep other people from making money off of him than to live vicariously. Someone in Louisiana filed a trademark claim for "Kenny Trill" the day before his parents did. If things continue on this trajectory, then they won't have any financial worries in a couple of years (knock on wood).

Nobody else can do that without his permission. Anybody else can file that if they want but unless Hill or his family gives permission then the application will not be approved.

All I know is that I hope he beats Bama and sucks against us.

We;

Nobody else can do that without his permission. Anybody else can file that if they want but unless Hill or his family gives permission then the application will not be approved.

Why couldn't they? Kenny Trill isn't his name. That's why the family wants the trademark. I wholly support them doing it.

WarEagle84, thanks for bringing insight and reason to the conversation. I didn't know the origin of "Trill"- I've learned to stop trying to keep up with kids these days- but that's interesting.

I will say that the kid strikes me as a little less than humble, but he's young and I could just be misinterpreting a couple things I saw on TV. Either way, until his play suffers on the field or he starts getting in trouble off of it, why the heck should I care?

We;

Why couldn't they? Kenny Trill isn't his name. That's why the family wants the trademark. I wholly support them doing it.

WarEagle84, thanks for bringing insight and reason to the conversation. I didn't know the origin of "Trill"- I've learned to stop trying to keep up with kids these days- but that's interesting.

I will say that the kid strikes me as a little less than humble, but he's young and I could just be misinterpreting a couple things I saw on TV. Either way, until his play suffers on the field or he starts getting in trouble off of it, why the heck should I care?

That came up with Manziel. Other people tried to trademark Johnny Football. The courts ruled that it could not be done without his permission.

We;

That came up with Manziel. Other people tried to trademark Johnny Football. The courts ruled that it could not be done without his permission.

Interesting. Thanks for setting me straight.

Why not do this? I seriously don't see a real reason not to do such a thing, you make money from the trademark, and lets face it, he's gonna have earned the name by the end of this year.

I wish we had a starting QB who earned such a name *rolls eyes*

We;

To clarify, it was the US Patent & Trademark Office that made the determination. It is a long-standing rule that you can't trademark someone's name without their permission. The company trying to trademark the name argued it didn't refer to a specific individual, but the patent office used published articles to prove that it did. It is highly probable that the same ruling would apply to Kenny Trill.

FYI, while they rejected the competing claim to trademark Johnny Football, the Patent Office still hasn't granted the trademark to Manziel's group.

We;

To clarify, it was the US Patent & Trademark Office that made the determination. It is a long-standing rule that you can't trademark someone's name without their permission. The company trying to trademark the name argued it didn't refer to a specific individual, but the patent office used published articles to prove that it did. It is highly probable that the same ruling would apply to Kenny Trill.

FYI, while they rejected the competing claim to trademark Johnny Football, the Patent Office still hasn't granted the trademark to Manziel's group.

Well I was close. :-\

QB recruits will certainly take notice and it makes aTm look even more desirable of a college destination than it already is with Sumlin.

QB recruits will certainly take notice and it makes aTm look even more desirable of a college destination than it already is with Sumlin.

Well I don't know how much difference that will make. With the recent ruling concerning likenesses of players this will become more commonplace all around the country.

O N E game does not earn or deserve anything. Let the season play out. The entitlement society is pathetic...

Well I don't know how much difference that will make. With the recent ruling concerning likenesses of players this will become more commonplace all around the country.

You are correct, but I was referring to the celebrity status their QBs seem to obtain. That will make aTm an attractive school for some guys I would think.

Archived