Gonna eat the Crow Dish I cooked up for myself.

FootballFanatic

My list from back then:

1) Jimbo Fisher

2) Charlie Strong

3) Gus Malzahn

4) Anybody but Petrino

I'm delighted with Gus, but don't think my other choices were bad either.

I loved your list then, and it's obviously still a great one. Jury's in on 3 of the 4, and I still hold out hope for Strong. Still a lot of house cleaning to be done in Austin, I would think.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well nobody is perfect. We all had our preferred candidates. The important part was that once the decision was made, we all got behind it. I was against hiring Bruce Pearl for basketball. Once he was hired all that didn't matter anymore. I quickly figured I was wrong anyway.

Well nobody is perfect. We all had our preferred candidates. The important part was that once the decision was made, we all got behind it. I was against hiring Bruce Pearl for basketball. Once he was hired all that didn't matter anymore. I quickly figured I was wrong anyway.

i was for him but still didnt foresee the impact he would have on our program so soon. I dont think its just hype either.

I wanted petrino or malzahn. Either one was fine by me. They are both great coaches

nobody ever questioned the coaching abilities of Petrino. It was his character issues that caused the opposition to him.

I wanted Peterson from Boise State. So far, a huge disappointment for Washington. I really liked Paul Johnson at GT. Gus was on my radar. He has proven himself a thousand times over. Gus will be at Auburn when nicky hangs up his dentures, and departs turdville.

I thought Peterson would have made a good choice too. I may have hoped for FSU Coach Fisher since he had Coached at AU before and was an excellent recruiter. That being said, I have liked Gus and was pleased with him and I have been blown away since he has been our coach.

Doc, the scary one on your list is Paul Johnson. He is terrible with the press, he cannot recruit, he started off well at Tech and now his teams settle for typical 7-5 seasons. I never thought AU was intertested in Coach Johnson and I doubt he stays much longer at Tech.

I wanted petrino or malzahn. Either one was fine by me. They are both great coaches

nobody ever questioned the coaching abilities of Petrino. It was his character issues that caused the opposition to him.

Some of us have not liked Petrino for years. Of course his character issues are there, but he has many other flaws. His Atlanta Falcon coaching term was just not good at all. He lied to the owner, and he never communicated well with the team. If you listened to any respected Falcon player at the time, they all disliked Petrino. Going back a few years and we get to the attempted coup of Coach Tubberville. So glad we did not end up with Petrino. He knows how to coach, but I hope he never has an opportunity to coach our AU Tigers.

Some of us have not liked Petrino for years. Of course his character issues are there, but he has many other flaws. His Atlanta Falcon coaching term was just not good at all. He lied to the owner, and he never communicated well with the team. If you listened to any respected Falcon player at the time, they all disliked Petrino. Going back a few years and we get to the attempted coup of Coach Tubberville. So glad we did not end up with Petrino. He knows how to coach, but I hope he never has an opportunity to coach our AU Tigers.

When I speak of character issues, that includes, in my mind, all of the things you brought up. I am fairly confident he will never set foot on the AU campus as the head coach of Auburn.

As soon as CGM left for Ark St, I felt he was being groomed as our next HC. It's validating to be right 1 time out of 100. LOL

At least I picked the best one to be right about!!!!!! WDE!

Archived