Arkansas message board

Threedog79

gohogs, just mho here, but Auburn fans as a rule seem to really like Arkansas.

If we seem at any time strident toward the Hawgs, it is in reality we are far more upset at CBB.

We took that little HUNH attack for what it was, an attack on our success, and sour grapes due to us having yet again a great coach from Arkansas.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely agree with DKW 86. I've always liked the Hogs. I just think that CBB is a disingenuous dirt bag with a big mouth. He's the kind of guy you want to beat the day lights out of just to shut him up and humble him a bit. One would think that you come to the SEC and prove your metal before you shoot off at the mouth. The final straw was the Saban/ Bolimia tag team earlier this summer. I'm sure even Saban thought "what a goob". Matter of fact were it not for Fat boy, Saban might have actually succeeded in getting his agenda passed.

If the wheels come off this season for Arky (3 or less wins again this season), BB shows up next year seating on the same seat that Muschamp occupies currently.

If the wheels come off this season for Arky (3 or less wins again this season), BB shows up next year seating on the same seat that Muschamp occupies currently.

I find it difficult to believe that they could possibly do that poorly for two seasons in a row. Then again, I also find it difficult to believe that he would continue to be employed for a third season if they did. While I do not think too highly of how reckless he is with his mouth, I do not think Bielema is THAT incompetent and expect we will face an improved Arkansas team.

I dont hate Arky - I am upset they wrecked one of our seasons some years ago and just dont like the coach after his comments about the SEC while at Wisky and, of coarse, his HUNH "safety" issues.

Yep, have never really wanted to completely demolish Arkansas.... a simple win would be fine.

However, BBielema is a complete different matter... more of mercy killing if you will! Where a sound trouncing might actually do the program good in the long run?

I've read a couple of Hog boards over the summer. I haven't seen very many posters that "love" BB, most are taking a wait-n-see approach with him. They are encouraged that the recruiting is picking up pace, in light of the fact that Petrino left the cupboard naked followed by the "Year of the Clown" with JLS... they are way behind the curve on gathering talent. Their fans are happy with the fact that they haven't had a single knuckle-head get arrested in the offseason, which is really out of the norm for most schools. They are encouraged that the QB is finally healthy and they are expecting a better outcome than last year. I've very few unrealistic/coach worshipping threads for Bert.

Pretty much spot on.

Bielema is trying to develop a solid redshirt program here. We won't ever get as much raw talent as teams like Auburn, Alabama, LSU and Florida but if we can get guys in the system for 4 or 5 years we can have a team full of experience and coached up 3 stars like he had at Wisconsin and offset that a little bit.

But doing it that way will take a lot longer. In the past we've been a program that would have a 9 or 10 win season followed by a 4 or 5 win season because our talent would be so inconsistent. But if we can successfully implement what BB is trying to do then we'll be a more consistent 7 or 8 win type team with a few 9 or 10 win seasons every now and then IMO.

But fans aren't good at being patient so he might not last that long lol

IMHO - You get a 3* guy with a lot of heart and determination into the program, develope & teach the fundamentals and work him in the S&C program and by the time he's got 2-3 yrs experience under his belt he can be as productive as any 5*.

Isn't that pretty much what Tuberville's MO was?

Arky fans would take Tubs W-L record at AU in a heartbeat.

I don't know - I could see BB being OK after another 3-9 year, if the losses were competitive. He's trying to completely remake a program into something it hasn't been, and it may earn him an extra year of leniency from the raving masses if he can show some sort of progress - think Tennessee and Butch Jones. They were awful under Dooley, and the record didn't really change last year, but they were obviously a better team that had made strides. I give them 2 years before they're back in the East picture.

I don't know - I could see BB being OK after another 3-9 year, if the losses were competitive. He's trying to completely remake a program into something it hasn't been, and it may earn him an extra year of leniency from the raving masses if he can show some sort of progress - think Tennessee and Butch Jones. They were awful under Dooley, and the record didn't really change last year, but they were obviously a better team that had made strides. I give them 2 years before they're back in the East picture.

Realistically we could be improved at every position and it still not show up in our record with the meat grider that is the SEC west.

Art Briles went 4-8 his first two years before he finally got it going in year 3 though. I think in 2015 we should have a pretty solid team. If you compare Bielema and Petrino's first years here, both teams went from almost losing to an FCS team at the beginning of the season to playing LSU down to the wire at the end (Petrino beat them but it was also a worse LSU team).

Plus he has a pretty big buyout and we promised him 5 years to get it turned around. Our AD seems pretty patient and he has to be because if bielema doesn't end up working out then he could be out too.

Realistically we could be improved at every position and it still not show up in our record with the meat grider that is the SEC west.

Art Briles went 4-8 his first two years before he finally got it going in year 3 though. I think in 2015 we should have a pretty solid team. If you compare Bielema and Petrino's first years here, both teams went from almost losing to an FCS team at the beginning of the season to playing LSU down to the wire at the end (Petrino beat them but it was also a worse LSU team).

Plus he has a pretty big buyout and we promised him 5 years to get it turned around. Our AD seems pretty patient and he has to be because if bielema doesn't end up working out then he could be out too.

You have who you have.....I'm not a BB fan but I do think some SEC folks are underestimating what he will be able to do at Arky......just hoping the does not get it started this year.

You have who you have.....I'm not a BB fan but I do think some SEC folks are underestimating what he will be able to do at Arky......just hoping the does not get it started this year.

I think BB has the opportunity and skills to recruit and field an excellent team. Wiscy was always built om depth and toughness, and they did very well with the strategy. However, I think CFB may be advanced enough within the last 5 years or so (in terms of offense scheme, at least) that I wonder if he'll see the same level of success with the same strategy in a tougher conference. Then again, LSU has had the same mindset, and they're perennially in the discussion.

Then again, LSU has had the same mindset, and they're perennially in the discussion.

They do. However, LSU also has no shortage of talent and the ability to consistently recruit more.

Then again, LSU has had the same mindset, and they're perennially in the discussion.

They do. However, LSU also has no shortage of talent and the ability to consistently recruit more.

Very true. I think, however, Arkansas is in the exact position Auburn was for much of the 2000s under Tubs. Now, I am never one to say "little brother" (because we know that Auburn is Heaven on Earth and God talks the way we do), but we have to admit that Tuberville's recruiting strategy was...pragmatic, I guess is a great word for it. Get 3 stars, coach them up, let them play when they're juniors and seniors. It worked well for Auburn because of the fertile recruiting area in Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. Arkansas and BB's depth-building program is in much the same position if he can leverage it, as it sits right on top of LA and TX. Take the 3 stars that can't get to LSU, have a chip on their shoulder from not getting picked to dance, give them the skills to succeed and then profit.

Was going to post this on the football board but it wont let me start a topic. How many freshmen are you guys expected to play next saturday?

Like last year, we'll play quite a bit. I'd assume you wont play that many since it seems like you have a pretty experienced roster. It's always interesting to see how the new kids do, ours are gonna have to learn in a trial by fire way lol. I'd expect the following to play:

OL Brian Wallace- will get a few snaps as backup RT

OL Frank Ragnow- could start or play a lot at center

WR Jared Cornelius- will either start or play a lot at slot WR

WR JoJo Robinson- will play at WR and might be starting PR

WR Kendrick Edwards- will play in the redzone, tall target

DT Bijhon Jackson- will play a lot as backup DT

LB Dwayne Eugene- could get a few snaps

LB Randy Ramsey- could play as blitzing LB in passing situations

LB Khalia Hackett- could get a few snaps

CB Henre Toliver- could play a lot as backup CB

S Josh Liddell- i think we'd like to redshirt him, but he could end up playing

CB/S Santos Ramirez- same as Liddell

K Cole Hedlund- battling for the starting kicker spot

I'm not pulling a roster out, so I could miss a few but:

JUCO transfer WR D. Williams will start.

JUCO transfer D. Moncrief will start or play a bunch at safety.

FR MLB Tre Williams will play a bunch.

Fr DE Andrews and FR DT Russell should play some

FR. running back Roc Thomas should see some playing time.

Fr. O-line B. Smith should see some action.

Auburn lost both its punter and place kicker, redshirt freshmen are expected to take those jobs. Carlson, a redshirt freshman, is leading to take both jobs at the moment.

Was going to post this on the football board but it wont let me start a topic. How many freshmen are you guys expected to play next saturday?

Like last year, we'll play quite a bit. I'd assume you wont play that many since it seems like you have a pretty experienced roster. It's always interesting to see how the new kids do, ours are gonna have to learn in a trial by fire way lol. I'd expect the following to play:

OL Brian Wallace- will get a few snaps as backup RT

OL Frank Ragnow- could start or play a lot at center

WR Jared Cornelius- will either start or play a lot at slot WR

WR JoJo Robinson- will play at WR and might be starting PR

WR Kendrick Edwards- will play in the redzone, tall target

DT Bijhon Jackson- will play a lot as backup DT

LB Dwayne Eugene- could get a few snaps

LB Randy Ramsey- could play as blitzing LB in passing situations

LB Khalia Hackett- could get a few snaps

CB Henre Toliver- could play a lot as backup CB

S Josh Liddell- i think we'd like to redshirt him, but he could end up playing

CB/S Santos Ramirez- same as Liddell

K Cole Hedlund- battling for the starting kicker spot

(Good post ^^^ Thanks)

Believe the magic number of posts is 50, get past this threshold you're in, and able to start a new thread.

I think BB has the opportunity and skills to recruit and field an excellent team. Wiscy was always built om depth and toughness, and they did very well with the strategy. However, I think CFB may be advanced enough within the last 5 years or so (in terms of offense scheme, at least) that I wonder if he'll see the same level of success with the same strategy in a tougher conference. Then again, LSU has had the same mindset, and they're perennially in the discussion.

Take a look at Wisconsin this year (only the 2nd year since BB left there) - contending for Big10 (okay, we know it is is B1G) but that is to say BB built a program that has some strength. Given some time, I think he will do similar at Arky, although his fight for talent will be tougher at Arky than Wiscy (region, history, competition). Don't get me wrong, I am not a BB fan, but I am not blind and ignorant either and can see some potential at Arky if they give him time to build the program. I just don't ever see them being a Top SEC contender because there is already to much to overcome.

Take a look at Wisconsin this year (only the 2nd year since BB left there) - contending for Big10 (okay, we know it is is B1G) but that is to say BB built a program that has some strength. Given some time, I think he will do similar at Arky, although his fight for talent will be tougher at Arky than Wiscy (region, history, competition). Don't get me wrong, I am not a BB fan, but I am not blind and ignorant either and can see some potential at Arky if they give him time to build the program. I just don't ever see them being a Top SEC contender because there is already to much to overcome.

I would say that he inherited a Wisconsin program that was already in good shape from Barry Alvarez.

I would say that he inherited a Wisconsin program that was already in good shape from Barry Alvarez.

Just a reminder that he was DC before he became the HC at Wisky and probably had something to do with Barry's success too....and he kept the program viable the 6 years he was HC. He's basically a defensive coach and I guess the issue in the SEC is whether he can come up with enough defense to stop the typical SEC offense.

Just a reminder that he was DC before he became the HC at Wisky and probably had something to do with Barry's success too....and he kept the program viable the 6 years he was HC. He's basically a defensive coach and I guess the issue in the SEC is whether he can come up with enough defense to stop the typical SEC offense.

Indeed. Unlike some, I do not consider him incompetent or incapable. I currently consider him an average coach, with a strategy that has certainly been proven to work by other coaches (and himself at Wisconsin). What I meant is that one cannot infer much beyond average based on hist time at Wisconsin. The program was successful before he took over, and it continued to be successful while he was there. He did not come into a situation like what Tuberville inherited in Auburn, and then build it to the level of the 2004 team. His tenure at Arkansas will tell us everything about his abilities. That said, he could certainly stand to learn a little about when to be quiet.

Agree for the most part but not sure about this. Arkansas is one of the weaker SEC states as far as producing talent but even it produces more than Wisconsin. He's recruited a lot better than he ever did there so far. But he also is playing tougher competition and has more (better) programs to recruit against for that talent if that's what you're saying

^^So LSU, SC and TAMU are full? That's good to hear.

Speaking of which, I think that when the semi-finals arrive, the operators of the Playoff are going to see that some changes need to be made (re: actually having the semi-finals at the top two's campuses, rotating on a six-year basis) when the Superdome and Rose Bowl are three-fourths empty.

they may not be full but they won't be that empty. Depending on who the teams are, The Superdome will likely be full.

Archived