Living up to the expectations

tigerbrotha12

Expectation-to-result ratio, 2008 was probably the most disappointing season ever. Maybe it was because I was 13, but the way the '07 season ended had me absolutely convinced we were a national contender that summer. :lol:/>

'12 was worse, but '08 hurt a lot more, especially when the hire of Gus in December 2012 didn't make us a national punchline like the hire of CGC in December '08, and the records of the two seasons afterward (8-5 in '09 vs. 12-2 in '13).

Good thing you don't have any memory of the 2003 season. Preseason #1 in one poll. 11 players on offense who were juniors or seniors wound up in the NFL over the next 2 years. Many future NFL players in the front 7 on D, and they were mostly seniors. 3 or 4 on D ended up being named All Pro in the NFL and have played in Super Bowls. That is probably the most hyped team I have seen, and they ended 8-5.

Got humiliated in one of the biggest home openers I can remember by USC in Leinart's first ever start. Got stomped by Georgia Tech, led by true freshman Reggie Ball in his second ever start. Didn't score a touchdown until the 3rd game of the season, against Vanderbilt (I remember Rod Bramblett saying, "We finally got one for you, Jim", or something to that effect- it was his first season after Jim's passing that summer). Blown out by LSU and UGA, the Obamanu drop against Ole Miss at home, Jetgate... just a really rough season. And, yeah, the expectations were sky high. Didn't SI run a cover w/ our 4 RBs that summer?

Argh! Yep.

I don't remember it well enough to have felt the disappointment, though I do remember the Georgia game that year and how terrible we looked.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Expectation-to-result ratio, 2008 was probably the most disappointing season ever. Maybe it was because I was 13, but the way the '07 season ended had me absolutely convinced we were a national contender that summer. :lol:/>

'12 was worse, but '08 hurt a lot more, especially when the hire of Gus in December 2012 didn't make us a national punchline like the hire of CGC in December '08, and the records of the two seasons afterward (8-5 in '09 vs. 12-2 in '13).

Good thing you don't have any memory of the 2003 season. Preseason #1 in one poll. 11 players on offense who were juniors or seniors wound up in the NFL over the next 2 years. Many future NFL players in the front 7 on D, and they were mostly seniors. 3 or 4 on D ended up being named All Pro in the NFL and have played in Super Bowls. That is probably the most hyped team I have seen, and they ended 8-5.

Got humiliated in one of the biggest home openers I can remember by USC in Leinart's first ever start. Got stomped by Georgia Tech, led by true freshman Reggie Ball in his second ever start. Didn't score a touchdown until the 3rd game of the season, against Vanderbilt (I remember Rod Bramblett saying, "We finally got one for you, Jim", or something to that effect- it was his first season after Jim's passing that summer). Blown out by LSU and UGA, the Obamanu drop against Ole Miss at home, Jetgate... just a really rough season. And, yeah, the expectations were sky high. Didn't SI run a cover w/ our 4 RBs that summer?

Argh! Yep.

I don't remember it well enough to have felt the disappointment, though I do remember the Georgia game that year and how terrible we looked.

That first game was just such a let down. I also think it's a big part of the reason we had no chance to pass Oklahoma for the #2 spot the following season -- USC had just beaten us with the same players the year before at Jordan-Hare. Argh!!! Still makes me upset.

That first game was just such a let down. I also think it's a big part of the reason we had no chance to pass Oklahoma for the #2 spot the following season -- USC had just beaten us with the same players the year before at Jordan-Hare. Argh!!! Still makes me upset.

That's a massive point that so often gets obscured by the Citadel/weak schedule red herring/straw man (that and the skewed respective perceptions of Oklahoma/Big 12 and Auburn/SEC football at the time).

That's a massive point that so often gets obscured by the Citadel/weak schedule red herring/straw man (that and the skewed respective perceptions of Oklahoma/Big 12 and Auburn/SEC football at the time).

True. I do also think, though, that us not getting a shot in 2004, combined with the blowout win for USC, started the trend of folks around the country taking the SEC more seriously and getting SEC teams into the BCS championship game.

I know some teams around the SEC like to give us grief over losing last year to FSU, as if that showed that the SEC wasn't so dominant. But, frankly, I think some of the performances by non-championship SEC schools have hurt the perception of the SEC much worse (thinking of Bama's bad losses to OU and Utah, Florida's loss to Louisville).

True. I do also think, though, that us not getting a shot in 2004, combined with the blowout win for USC, started the trend of folks around the country taking the SEC more seriously and getting SEC teams into the BCS championship game.

I know some teams around the SEC like to give us grief over losing last year to FSU, as if that showed that the SEC wasn't so dominant. But, frankly, I think some of the performances by non-championship SEC schools have hurt the perception of the SEC much worse (thinking of Bama's bad losses to OU and Utah, Florida's loss to Louisville).

Ain't that funny, how the best non-SEC team in a decade- and one of the more dominant teams of all time- coached by a former SEC guy showed in the last minute of a national championship game against an SEC team that went 3-9 the previous season how overrated the SEC is?

Ain't that funny, how the best non-SEC team in a decade- and one of the more dominant teams of all time- coached by a former SEC guy showed in the last minute of a national championship game against an SEC team that went 3-9 the previous season how overrated the SEC is?

Yep. FSU is an SEC team playing in the ACC.

I'm actually super excited to see how we do this season. I like that some folks -- including many in the AU family -- have high expectations for this team. I'd be shocked if the coaches and players don't share those expectations. I believe that CGM and the rest of the coaches will do a great job managing those expectations (and by that, I don't mean downplaying them). I also don't think it hurts that many of the national pundits are picking Alabama over us. I think we can manage that, too.

:big:

It's like I have said in my blog: No one game really scares me. But we play an absolutely brutal schedule. I can't see us getting out without a loss.

I'd like to go back to the observation about bad 3rd qtrs. & finesses that a bit. It seems to me that we played a bad qtr offensively every game, frequently the 3rd qtr, but not always (1st qtr against LSU; 2nd qtr in the Iron Bowl when we got down 21-7; the 4th qtr against UGa--for all that Murray got hot then, if we could just have made a couple of 1st downs, the game was over!). Meanwhile, a huge issue on defense is what CEJ called "trash plays" (that @#$%^ 99 yd TD pass in the Iron Bowl; the missed tackle on that short pass in the NC game, etc.). If the offense can eliminate bad qtrs. in games, & if the defense can eliminate those trash plays, then I believe other teams will have to play great to beat us.

I'm actually super excited to see how we do this season. I like that some folks -- including many in the AU family -- have high expectations for this team. I'd be shocked if the coaches and players don't share those expectations. I believe that CGM and the rest of the coaches will do a great job managing those expectations (and by that, I don't mean downplaying them). I also don't think it hurts that many of the national pundits are picking Alabama over us. I think we can manage that, too.

:thumbsup:

I'd like to go back to the observation about bad 3rd qtrs. & finesses that a bit. It seems to me that we played a bad qtr offensively every game, frequently the 3rd qtr, but not always (1st qtr against LSU; 2nd qtr in the Iron Bowl when we got down 21-7; the 4th qtr against UGa--for all that Murray got hot then, if we could just have made a couple of 1st downs, the game was over!). Meanwhile, a huge issue on defense is what CEJ called "trash plays" (that @#$%^ 99 yd TD pass in the Iron Bowl; the missed tackle on that short pass in the NC game, etc.). If the offense can eliminate bad qtrs. in games, & if the defense can eliminate those trash plays, then I believe other teams will have to play great to beat us.

I think you're absolutely right. I think our defense showed HUGE improvements last year from 2012. We actually looked aggressive and, for the most part, did pretty good at preventing long, slow touchdown drives. It was the trash plays that killed us. 2012 we gave up long touchdown drives and trash plays. That whole year was just trash. If I get Alzheimer's one day, that'll be the first thing I'll wanna forget.

yes, i love that the pundits keep underestimating us, i want them to keep doing it, War Eagle!

We lose 2 regular season this year. Whether that's enough to get us in the top 4 for the playoff with our schedule and Condoleeza Rice sitting on the selection committee remains to be seen.

We lose 2 regular season this year. Whether that's enough to get us in the top 4 for the playoff with our schedule and Condoleeza Rice sitting on the selection committee remains to be seen.

lol, that's what i said and .Condoleeza Rice......xD

No, we don't -- unless Nick is suspended.

If suspended, it won't be for any games JJ couldn't win at the helm. IMO.

Agreed, but I'd feel less confident in the beginning.

Any level-headed fan would be. But with Sammie improving and the addition of Duke, JJ will have two great targets to focus on.

Then our RB corps should perform to par as well.

The defense concerns me more than our offensive weapons.

Any level-headed fan would be. But with Sammie improving and the addition of Duke, JJ will have two great targets to focus on.

Then our RB corps should perform to par as well.

The defense concerns me more than our offensive weapons.

I actually expect great improvement from the defense this year. We'll be fine, no matter what happens with Nick.

If Auburn has 2 losses it will not get us into the playoff, not with things stacked as they are.

Archived