Living up to the expectations

tigerbrotha12

Not on top of my head. It was typical for him to drop a few passes in college as well as pro. The scouts always thought he had a few too many mental lapses.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aromashodu and Obomanu had been (if they still aren't) in the NFL for many years. Taylor didn't make it past practice squad.

Aromashodu and Obomanu had been (if they still aren't) in the NFL for many years. Taylor didn't make it past practice squad.

Courtney Taylor was not as gifted but he caught everything at Auburn. Obamanu has been bouncing around and he is a free agent now. He played 7 seasons, 87 catches, 12 drops.

What are the potential reasons that would force the team to fall short of playoff expectations? In the prior dud years, the OC position on the staff failed miserably. We can all be certain that will not be the case this year. So, what would bring this team down? Every team has concerns that, if not taken care of, could derail a season. In '03 everyone expected the returning talent to just win games, but Nallsminger screwed that up. In 08 it was Franklin, but we also had question marks at the QB position (the guy who started half of the games ended up at WR!) and at WR when the era was beginning shift away from 17-14 final scores. What are similar red flags on this team? Outside of schedule and of course injuries.

Courtney Taylor was not as gifted but he caught everything at Auburn. Obamanu has been bouncing around and he is a free agent now. He played 7 seasons, 87 catches, 12 drops.

For sure, in college Taylor was most consistent. Even when Obomanu, Aromashodu, Mix, AND Taylor were the WR unit CT was still producing the most. Which is impressive considering he was the youngest and least experienced of the 4.

What are the potential reasons that would force the team to fall short of playoff expectations? In the prior dud years, the OC position on the staff failed miserably. We can all be certain that will not be the case this year. So, what would bring this team down? Every team has concerns that, if not taken care of, could derail a season. In '03 everyone expected the returning talent to just win games, but Nallsminger screwed that up. In 08 it was Franklin, but we also had question marks at the QB position (the guy who started half of the games ended up at WR!) and at WR when the era was beginning shift away from 17-14 final scores. What are similar red flags on this team? Outside of schedule and of course injuries.

Espn is a reason .... over hyping the 2003 team almost led to tuberville getting fired IMO. Season wasn't horrible but because we didn't win the championship all of a sudden tubs is a bad coach.

The key is for NM to stay healthy and improve big time in passing, if he does we will be ok. This year we will not sneak up on anyone and teams will bring their best to knock off the defending SEC Champs, starting with the Hogzz.

We have never had a coaching staff like the one we have now. I see no drop off whatsoever this season. As a matter of fact, I see this team being in the top 4 at season's end, as well as winning the west division and probably the conference. We are rapidly over taking bammer as the elite team in the conference. There are good teams in both divisions of the conference, but I think we are a cut above any team in the conference.

I had to laugh looking back at the 2008 BleacherReport article. That's just fantasy.

However, I think the schedule is our biggest obstacle. Honestly I'm not worried about focus for away games with our current staff, but the totality of the teams we play week in and out are really good.

Agree wholeheartedly. This schedule has got to be among the toughest if not the toughest in the country. Having said that, if our running game can pick up where we left off last year, NM can hit 10% more passes and the defense can lower opponents production by about 75 yards per game we can win it all!

Expectation-to-result ratio, 2008 was probably the most disappointing season ever. Maybe it was because I was 13, but the way the '07 season ended had me absolutely convinced we were a national contender that summer. :lol:

'12 was worse, but '08 hurt a lot more, especially when the hire of Gus in December 2012 didn't make us a national punchline like the hire of CGC in December '08, and the records of the two seasons afterward (8-5 in '09 vs. 12-2 in '13).

I think that honestly there are a few teams that we need to get through…the usual. LSU, UGA, UAT. I give the edge to Auburn over teams like USC and A&M because we have them at home. I think the schedule is tough with Miss St away, I think they are going to be a top 25 team and may upset a few people, hopefully not us. And we have Ole Miss away and Kstate, but with all three of those games and like last year, we are confident enough to find away to win. I think we can win the west for sure, I don't know if we will be undefeated but we just need to be in that top four and winning the SEC will automatically put someone in that top four. That's all we need and I think we can do it. Too much drive for a letdown.

I think that honestly there are a few teams that we need to get through…the usual. LSU, UGA, UAT. I give the edge to Auburn over teams like USC and A&M because we have them at home. I think the schedule is tough with Miss St away, I think they are going to be a top 25 team and may upset a few people, hopefully not us. And we have Ole Miss away and Kstate, but with all three of those games and like last year, we are confident enough to find away to win. I think we can win the west for sure, I don't know if we will be undefeated but we just need to be in that top four and winning the SEC will automatically put someone in that top four. That's all we need and I think we can do it. Too much drive for a letdown.

And that ladies and gentleman is how the west was won..i think we run the tables and have a rematch with south carolina in the sec ship....think it'll be fsu/ohio state/baylor/auburn in the playoffs

Well I know the past dosent have anything to do with what happens now but still AU needs to prove they can do well under such high expectations. IE playing with a target in their back. With a tough schedule it is not going to be easy this year. We are going to be circled on EVERY teams calendar this year. November especially is going to be tough playing at UGA and at UAT.

I think Gus & Co. have completely changed the mentality of this team ~ they are fighters now, they don't give up, they know how to WIN!

I think Gus & Co. have completely changed the mentality of this team ~ they are fighters now, they don't give up, they know how to WIN!

To be fair, that same sentiment was said about Chizik when he kept winning close games his first few years. We need a bigger sample size to pinpoint what Gus' negative trends are (ie: Tubs sitting on 14 point leads, losing 1-2 games a year that he has no business losing/ Chiz blowing 14 point leads constantly, etc)

To be fair, that same sentiment was said about Chizik when he kept winning close games his first few years. We need a bigger sample size to pinpoint what Gus' negative trends are (ie: Tubs sitting on 14 point leads, losing 1-2 games a year that he has no business losing/ Chiz blowing 14 point leads constantly, etc)

We absolutely disappeared in the 3rd quarter of some big games last year. Almost cost us the UGA game and did cost us the national championship.

Chiziks teams had no fight or resolve to turn the losing around. My bammer friends always called them thugs, but I had to remind them that thugs wouldn't just lie down and take it... They would probably be shanking under the dog piles. Anyways, It is easy to fight when you win 4 close games in a row... but when you lose by thirty, four times in a row, it is quite different. Hopefully, we will never have to judge how much fight malzahns team has under the latter scenario.

Expectation-to-result ratio, 2008 was probably the most disappointing season ever. Maybe it was because I was 13, but the way the '07 season ended had me absolutely convinced we were a national contender that summer. :lol:

'12 was worse, but '08 hurt a lot more, especially when the hire of Gus in December 2012 didn't make us a national punchline like the hire of CGC in December '08, and the records of the two seasons afterward (8-5 in '09 vs. 12-2 in '13).

Good thing you don't have any memory of the 2003 season. Preseason #1 in one poll. 11 players on offense who were juniors or seniors wound up in the NFL over the next 2 years. Many future NFL players in the front 7 on D, and they were mostly seniors. 3 or 4 on D ended up being named All Pro in the NFL and have played in Super Bowls. That is probably the most hyped team I have seen, and they ended 8-5.

Good thing you don't have any memory of the 2003 season. Preseason #1 in one poll. 11 players on offense who were juniors or seniors wound up in the NFL over the next 2 years. Many future NFL players in the front 7 on D, and they were mostly seniors. 3 or 4 on D ended up being named All Pro in the NFL and have played in Super Bowls. That is probably the most hyped team I have seen, and they ended 8-5.

Got humiliated in one of the biggest home openers I can remember by USC in Leinart's first ever start. Got stomped by Georgia Tech, led by true freshman Reggie Ball in his second ever start. Didn't score a touchdown until the 3rd game of the season, against Vanderbilt (I remember Rod Bramblett saying, "We finally got one for you, Jim", or something to that effect- it was his first season after Jim's passing that summer). Blown out by LSU and UGA, the Obamanu drop against Ole Miss at home, Jetgate... just a really rough season. And, yeah, the expectations were sky high. Didn't SI run a cover w/ our 4 RBs that summer?

We absolutely disappeared in the 3rd quarter of some big games last year. Almost cost us the UGA game and did cost us the national championship.

Yep.

Got humiliated in one of the biggest home openers I can remember by USC in Leinart's first ever start. Got stomped by Georgia Tech, led by true freshman Reggie Ball in his second ever start. Didn't score a touchdown until the 3rd game of the season, against Vanderbilt (I remember Rod Bramblett saying, "We finally got one for you, Jim", or something to that effect- it was his first season after Jim's passing that summer). Blown out by LSU and UGA, the Obamanu drop against Ole Miss at home, Jetgate... just a really rough season. And, yeah, the expectations were sky high. Didn't SI run a cover w/ our 4 RBs that summer?

Argh! Yep.

I was watching some practice video and saw formations mixing 2 RBs, motion, a pitch option, a pass option, and misdirection ... Similar to the Dan Mullen Florida offense. That will be fun to watch! A defense will have too many threats to cover.

Yep.

I think this year will tell us a lot about Malzahn's real ability as a HC over the long term. If those 3rd qtr sleepers can be eliminated, and if he can keep this team as motivated and as disciplined as he did last year's, then things bode well for Auburn.

Yep.

I think this year will tell us a lot about Malzahn's real ability as a HC over the long term. If those 3rd qtr sleepers can be eliminated, and if he can keep this team as motivated and as disciplined as he did last year's, then things bode well for Auburn.

I'm good with that analysis..as for previous teams not living up to "expectations"...as noted a time or two, that was a different circumstances and has ZERO impact on 2014....it's all about Gus being able to run the program long term and not many coaches can do that.

There have been lots of shooting star coaches over the years but very few have the ability to establish a consistent winning program...much less get their teams to the big game more than once. As I've said a number of times, in today's college football climate, Shug Jordan would probably have been fired within 5 years after he won the national championship.

Archived