Retire Lutz Number

auburn4ever

I can't see retirng a current or former player's number because the person died unexpectedly. AU has had a few of those over the years, and in the most recent case (Ladarious Phillips) several players wore #37.

I think we "retire" #43 for the 2014 season, at least on the offensive side. I believe Anthony Swain wore #44 before wearing #43, so Swain switching to #44 might work, as long as he and CAP are not both on a special team situation together.

I agree with someone wearing the #43 jersey for a game as a tribute to Lutz. I think first person should be Uzomah, as I he adn Lutz played against each other in high school in the state playoffs. In fact, it was that game that exposed AU's recruiters to Uzomah, who were there to see Lutz. I would also like to see Fulse where the #43 jersey one game.

After 2014, I would love to see Jalen Harris wear #43.

I support any plan the keeps Philip's name out front for fans, alumni, the current squad and the coaches. He's been too big a feature of the 2010 team just to have a retired number as the only remembrance.

We have our three Heisman Winners and I would propose we have another group of equal stature to include Lutz, Beasley, Langner, and othehs whose names say Auburn whenever they're spoken. Maybe a name for that group like Archangels, The Round Table, or something along those lines.

Whatever else gets selected to honor him, The "Lutzie" had better be a part of it!

WAR EAGLE!

Do the Lutz dance in his honor after you score a touchdown.

That would probably be allowed once, but if it was done every time, it will certainly warrant a flag for excessive celebration. Not a good idea at all..

That would probably be allowed once, but if it was done every time, it will certainly warrant a flag for excessive celebration. Not a good idea at all..

I'm not for the retiring of number 43. I want to see players wear and honor that number forever. If Jalen Harris ever scored a touchdown...I would probably tear up if he put a hint of the Lutzie when he scored. I wouldn't mind that at all. It doesn't have to be so much as to warrant a flag. Just a little....

So sad. Instead of the color system for practice/workouts it would be cool to achieve the 43 jersey for excellent effort.

This or make number 43 a rotating jersey. The mvp from the last game gets to wear 43 for the next game

I am afraid kids 10 years from now will not understand why 43 is so important to the Auburn family. That is the only reason why I would want his number retired. Perfect scenario for me, would be to retire 43 after Jalen wears his number for his 4 years. If not that, let there be some kind of who's who award named after Lutzenkirchen.

I understand the emotion of the moment for the call to retire number 43 in memory of Lutz. I don't think that number should be retired. Number 43 has been worn by many Auburn football players thru the years. One of the most notable is James Owens who broke the color barrier for Auburn football. Lutz was and is popular for what we like in an Auburn player. There are too many players to honor their memories solely by retiring numbers. David Langer passing away this year had two of the most memorable plays in our football history. As we remember so many players in our memories we will remember Phillip the same way.

I'm in favor of honoring him for the season and perha a very nice memorial plaque somewhere in or around the stadium. If the coaches and admin want to do the jersey thing, how could anyone disagree?

I think it would be a better tribute to Phil to have people earn the number.

I think/hope going forward that 43 is going to be a major deal/tradition at Auburn. Not just this year. It should live on forever in a special way. Future generations should know about the person Lutzenkirchen was and what 43 means.

That's what I'm thinking...

Lots of former AU greats have passed at some point in time, and they have not had their numbers retired.

So, NO on the retiring of the number. Knowing Phil, he would not want his number retired. AU will find a way to properly honor Phil.

I'm not for the retiring of number 43. I want to see players wear and honor that number forever. If Jalen Harris ever scored a touchdown...I would probably tear up if he put a hint of the Lutzie when he scored. I wouldn't mind that at all. It doesn't have to be so much as to warrant a flag. Just a little....

We have to remember the original Lutzie was just a quick couple of side steps and toss the ball to the ref. I don't think the way Phillip did it would EVER warrant a flag. Just wasn't who he was... And like most here the #43 means to much to retire. It should be worn with pride by many Auburn men for many years to come.

This year the team could choose a player who showed the desire of being a player like PL and let that player wear the number each game.

Don't retire the number. Keep it on the field. I believe this would be a better tribute to Lutz.

The honorary Lutzie jersey would be great to see, though hard for others to measure up. His kind don't come around too often.

I just don't see how the number would get retired. I know emotions are running high, but it just doesn't make any sense to me. That number deserves to be on the field IMO.

If we don't do anything else, at least let Jalen wear 43 during his 4 years at AU. Although I believe we should do more.

Archived