That will leave a Mark ...

RunInRed

Bad comp. Richt never had a 2004 team. He should've had that team in 2002, but they dropped a game they shouldn't have (the Zooker's Gators) and almost lost the Auburn game.

Richt also never had a run like Tubs. 2004-2006: 33-5 overall, 22-3 in the SEC. Tuberville had his issues (laying an egg with a clearly-superior-talent team in 2003 and batting .500 on OC hires), but he wasn't Mark Richt. Tubs was fantastic against top teams; Richt can't beat good teams.

Yup. Different guys off the field, too.

Bad comp. Richt never had a 2004 team. He should've had that team in 2002, but they dropped a game they shouldn't have (the Zooker's Gators) and almost lost the Auburn game.

Actually not a bad comparison at all. The 2004 Auburn team was special, but 2003 should have been too and it wasn't. Sure UGA may drop a game or two along the way that they shouldn't but Richt and Tuberville are equally outstanding coaches.

Richt also never had a run like Tubs. 2004-2006: 33-5 overall, 22-3 in the SEC.

Actually that isn't even remotely true. From 2002-2004 Richt was 34-6 and 21-5 in the SEC and an SEC Title (and another appearance (lost)) Add in 2005 and he was 44-9 (2002-2005) and 28-7 with TWO SEC TITLES and 3 appearances.

Tuberville had his issues (laying an egg with a clearly-superior-talent team in 2003 and batting .500 on OC hires), but he wasn't Mark Richt. Tubs was fantastic against top teams; Richt can't beat good teams.

Tuberville had a great run at one time against highly ranked opponents but to say Richt can't beat good teams given the records posted above is just patently FALSE. Richt has won TWO SEC titles at Georgia 2002 and 2005. Tuberville won ONE in 2004. They are both equally outstanding coaches. I wouldn't trade Tuberville for Richt at Auburn but that doesn't mean Richt isn't a great coach.

Guest WarEagleSteve

Richt can absolutely beat good teams. His problem is that he has a tendency to lose the worst possible game at the worst possible time to teams that usually have no business being on the field with UGA. Case in point, 2007. Georgia had Matt Stafford at quarterback, Knowshon Moreno at his peak and a nasty defense. They comfortably beat just about every team they played and ran Hawaii off the field in the Sugar Bowl that year. They would've played for a national title (since that was the year LSU backed into the NC game with two losses) had they not lost AT HOME to the worst South Carolina team Spurrier has put on the field and completely whiffed against an above average but not spectacular Tennessee squad. Richt can absolutely win big games but he's good for at least one "how in the heck did they lose THAT one" game a year.

Richt can absolutely beat good teams. His problem is that he has a tendency to lose the worst possible game at the worst possible time to teams that usually have no business being on the field with UGA. Case in point, 2007. Georgia had Matt Stafford at quarterback, Knowshon Moreno at his peak and a nasty defense. They comfortably beat just about every team they played and ran Hawaii off the field in the Sugar Bowl that year. They would've played for a national title (since that was the year LSU backed into the NC game with two losses) had they not lost AT HOME to the worst South Carolina team Spurrier has put on the field and completely whiffed against an above average but not spectacular Tennessee squad. Richt can absolutely win big games but he's good for at least one "how in the heck did they lose THAT one" game a year.

Yes, he can beat good teams, but he hasn't very often in the last 6 years. 4-13 kind of speaks for itself.

You'll never find a 4-13 run on Tubs' resume. I like both guys. Love Tubs actually. They're just different. Their issues are different. No. UGA never had a 2004 team under Richt, but they didn't have a 2003 team either. Richt had down years with bad teams. Tubs wasted one of his three best teams.

Also don't give me crap about 2005. We were the better team. UGA won that ring by God's breathe in Baton Rouge. Nothing more. You said look jar this run, but they weren't as good or as dominant as that three year run we had.

well, you are entitled to your opinion but the fact is the run UGA had under Richt is just as good as what Auburn had under Tuberville. The numbers aren't that vastly different. Marginalize it all you want, but the fact is they are both outstanding coaches. Of course we were the better team in 2005. We beat them on the field but it doesn't change the fact that they won the games they had to win to get to the title game then they won the title. We were better than Florida in 2006 when we BEAT them but it doesn't take away their SEC title or national title.

Point averages each year for UGA from 2002-2005:

Offense then defense

32.14 15.14

26.50 14.50

27.91 16.50

29.54 16.38

Point Averages per game for Auburn 2004-2006

32.00 11.30

32.16 15.50

24.76 13.92

The numbers just aren't that different

I don't think we were a better team than UF in 2006. UGA won the SEC Championship because they dodged us based on a fluke and because they had more breathing room in a watered-down Eastern Division. UF won the SEC title because they got better every week of the season. We did not. I don't think we wanted any part of them on a neutral field.

By the way, again, I really like both guys. I think UGA would be crazy to fire Richt. I think (present tense) we were a little touched in the head to fire Tuberville.

Archived