Glenn Beck: Liberals, you were right on Iraq

TitanTiger

The war was a success and we had the country in a situation where it could become, in time, an ally of the United States. Problem was Democrats in congress, Obama and the anti war left he catered to wanted us out at any cost. You just can't pull up stakes like this and not expect bad things to happen. I don't but the notion that sharing power with these people would have prevented this. Isis, like Hamas, Al-Qaeda, and all the other variations of the Muslim extremists are out for one thing and one thing only. They intend to spread the sharia law and their brand of Islam to as much of the world as possible. If I thought for one second they would confine their activities to that region of the world, I would say let them fight it out among themselves. Problem is they won't be content with just their little corner of the world. They will continue to push further out and continue until somebody stops them. They will not leave us alone.

The war was never a success other than we toppled Saddam from power. Everything after that was a mess because of bad assumptions and piss-poor planning.

At first I agreed that removing Saddam was a good thing. Now I believe he was a nessesary evil.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Problem was Democrats in congress, Obama and the anti war left he catered to wanted us out at any cost. You just can't pull up stakes like this and not expect bad things to happen.

Yep, bad ol' Barry wanted us out so badly that before he even moved into the Oval Office, he used his "Anti-Christ" Jedi Mind Trick powers to force Bush and the Iraqis themselves to agree on removing all U.S. troops! :glare:

http://world.time.co...troop-presence/

...But the decision to leave Iraq by that date was not actually taken by President Obama — it was taken by President George W. Bush, and by the Iraqi government.

In one of his final acts in office, President Bush in December of 2008 had signed a Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) with the Iraqi government that set the clock ticking on ending the war he’d launched in March of 2003. The SOFA provided a legal basis for the presence of U.S. forces in Iraq after the United Nations Security Council mandate for the occupation mission expired at the end of 2008. But it required that all U.S. forces be gone from Iraq by January 1, 2012, unless the Iraqi government was willing to negotiate a new agreement that would extend their mandate. And as Middle East historian Juan Cole has noted, “Bush had to sign what the [iraqi] parliament gave him or face the prospect that U.S. troops would have to leave by 31 December, 2008, something that would have been interpreted as a defeat… Bush and his generals clearly expected, however, that over time Washington would be able to wriggle out of the treaty and would find a way to keep a division or so in Iraq past that deadline.”

But ending the U.S. troop presence in Iraq was an overwhelmingly popular demand among Iraqis, and Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki appears to have been unwilling to take the political risk of extending it. ...

Archived